For those still wishing for Fields, get in here! We're going to his proday tomorrow again

49 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

He also always almost  had the far superior team

Or you could just say he’s good. The way members have selectively leveraged material to suit their narrative is... disappointing? I guess I should expect it. 

Very few people on JN talking about Wilson or Fields wholly. 

33 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Or you could just say he’s good. The way members have selectively leveraged material to suit their narrative is... disappointing? I guess I should expect it. 

Very few people on JN talking about Wilson or Fields wholly. 

Both can be true 

1 minute ago, Tranquilo said:

Maybe. Maybe not.

So why are the Jets and Niners going to pass on him?

I don’t know.  Why did the Jets and Niners pass on Mahomes?  I don’t try to understand or rationalize the decisions teams make in the draft.  I’m a fan on a message board; I’m just here to voice my opinions based on what I see with my own eyes.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, legler82 said:

I don’t know.  Why did the Jets and Niners pass on Mahomes?  I don’t try to understand or rationalize the decisions teams make in the draft.  I’m a fan on a message board; I’m just here to voice my opinions based on what I see with my own eyes.

I get it, but what flaws does Justin Field have that make teams hesitant? 

5 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

I get it, but what flaws does Justin Field have that make teams hesitant? 

Go back and look at all the negatives for Justin Herbert and simply replace the last name.  Their alleged “red flags” are nearly identical.  In my amateur opinion, it’s over analyzing. 

7 minutes ago, legler82 said:

Go back and look at all the negatives for Justin Herbert and simply replace the last name.  Their alleged “red flags” are nearly identical.  In my amateur opinion, it’s over analyzing. 

Interesting. Mark Schofield compared Wilson to Herbert, and actually has him slightly ahead of him.

10 minutes ago, Wit said:

I’m curious what the fields supporters do think of where Zach Wilson will be career wise. 

Safe to say somewhere below Fields.

I see a long middling career.  I just don’t see the superstar upside worthy of the #2 pick.  I can’t stop thinking about how Mahomes, who I thought was a God as a prospect, had a mid to late 1st round grade by the time of the draft in a weak QB class.  Note that steadily increased throughout the pre-draft process from as low as the 4th.  And now Wilson a grocery store brand version of Mahomes is top 2 or 1 in a really good QB class.  This sh*t is crazy to me. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, legler82 said:

I see a long middling career.  I just don’t see the superstar upside worthy of the #2 pick.  I can’t stop thinking about how Mahomes, who I thought was a God as a prospect, had a mid to late 1st round grade by the time of the draft in a weak QB class.  Note that steadily increased throughout the pre-draft process from as low as the 4th.  And now Wilson a grocery store brand version of Mahomes is top 2 or 1 in a really good QB class.  This sh*t is crazy to me. 

In that draft, a safety (ugh), three WRs, and two RBs, went in the top 10. Maybe GMs now understand position value. You need to keep drafting a QB until you hit. Which is why the first 3 picks will be QBs.

Just now, Tranquilo said:

In that draft, a safety (ugh), three WRs, and two RBs, went in the top 10. Maybe GMs now understand position value. You need to keep drafting a QB until you hit. Which is why the first 3 picks will be QBs.

They understood the value of the position then.  That was just pure unadulterated piss poor evaluating.  I’m afraid history might repeat itself.

9 minutes ago, legler82 said:

I’m admitting that I have no clue how to evaluate a QB and will get on the train if whomever we pick. However, it sucks that the fields people think Zach will suck and the Zach people really think fields will suck (@footballguy seems to be more fair depending on the system he does too). It makes this process less fun. 

2 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

Then I won’t be able to make fun of scouts when they get stuff wrong.  Where’s the fun in that?

Just now, Wit said:

I’m admitting that I have no clue how to evaluate a QB and will get on the train of whomever we pick. However, it sucks that the fields people think Zach will suck and the Zach people really think fields will suck (@footballguy seems to be more fair depending on the system he goes too). It makes this process less fun. 

5 minutes ago, legler82 said:

Cause GMs know best.Terrence Ross Wow GIF

The only way to know is to do an autopsy of their brain before the draft.  What kids did in college against other kids and how that translates to how a man is going to play against other men is a very inexact science. 

Most of talking heads fell Wilson is the better prospect and will go ahead of Fields.  Nobody should be shocked if they're wrong.  They are often wrong.  I'm pretty sure that Lawrence, like Jeff George is not just the No. 1 QB but the No. 1 prospect on every draft board.  I suspect Barkley was the No. 1 prospect on most NFL draft boards when Mayfield went 1.  It seems like at least by the chatter Zach is the No. 2 QB but likely not the No. 2 prospect on most NFL boards.  That's not a terrific spot to be in but since we need a QB that's probably the only move we can make.  

13 minutes ago, Larz said:

So many red flags on Wilson. He terrifies me 

What "red" flags. You don't have to like the guy but he does not have red flags at all. Are there a couple areas of concern, sure. But if there was a single red flag no one would consider him at 2, yet he seems to be the unanimous choice at 2.  He can still fail, but red flags is just an example of all the hyberbole in this thread. Wilson and Fields can BOTH be good even great prospects. Just because you love Fields more does not make Wilson bad.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Wit said:

I’m admitting that I have no clue how to evaluate a QB and will get on the train if whomever we pick. However, it sucks that the fields people think Zach will suck and the Zach people really think fields will suck (@footballguy seems to be more fair depending on the system he does too). It makes this process less fun. 

Middling <> suck.  I think he’s getting over drafted.  I see a 1st round talent but not one worthy of the 2nd overall pick in a QB class like this one.  If Wilson fans think Fields can also be good, that’s a testament to Fields not them.  I’m guessing it’s because Fields’ talent is so undeniable that even those that prefer Wilson have to acknowledge it.  That doesn’t make them better people.  I’m assuming everyone is being honest in their assessments.  If someone thinks Wilson sucks, all I can do is respect their opinion and agree to disagree.  Speaking for myself, I can’t pretend to see the superstar in Wilson that Wilson supporters see for the sake of diplomacy.

15 minutes ago, Wit said:

I’m curious what the fields supporters do think of where Zach Wilson will be career wise. 

5 minutes ago, legler82 said:

I see long middling career.  I just don’t see the superstar upside worthy of the #2 pick.  I can’t stop thinking about how Mahomes, who I thought was a God as a prospect, had a mid to late 1st round grade by the time of the draft in a weak QB class.  Note that steadily increased throughout the pre-draft process from as low as the 4th.  And now Wilson a grocery store brand version of Mahomes is top 2 or 1 in a really good QB class.  This sh*t is crazy to me. 

Solid answer.  Here's what I think:

We just witnessed, the best Football Zach Wilson will ever play.  While I dont think this is a huge indictment to the analysis and his projection, lets be real, he took advantage of bad competition.   There are so many low percentage plays/decisoins that had plus outcomes, it was literally like watching a flag football game at times and he was playing with the seniors who were playing the freshman.  He wouldnt be able to repeat that success another year in college during a normal year, let alone in NFL.  He will be much closer to the 2018/2019 version of his career.  Here's the thing though; that might be enough.  If he's developed properly to play more on schedule instead of so dependent on the off script stuff, that type of player could win you games, he'll just never be worthy of the #2 overall pick.  Like you said, he'll never be a superstar.  

I think the fairest comparison to current day NFL players is high end - David Carr.  Likely - Mitch Trubisky.   Low end - Sam Darnold 

Whereas Fields, I think we're just seeing the potential.  That Clemson game, was mind blowing and he limped in and shouldnt have played but still carried his team vs. Bama.  High end - Russell Wilson.  Likely - Tannehill (Tenn. version).  Low end - David Carr.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

We just witnessed, the best Football Zach Wilson will ever play.  While I dont think this is a huge indictment to the analysis and his projection, lets be real, he took advantage of bad competition.   There are so many low percentage plays/decisoins that had plus outcomes, it was literally like watching a flag football game at times and he was playing with the seniors who were playing the freshman.  He wouldnt be able to repeat that success another year in college during a normal year, let alone in NFL.  He will be much closer to the 2018/2019 version of his career.  Here's the thing though; that might be enough.  If he's developed properly to play more on schedule instead of so dependent on the off script stuff, that type of player could win you games, he'll just never be worthy of the #2 overall pick.  Like you said, he'll never be a superstar.  

I think the fairest comparison to current day NFL players is high end - David Carr.  Likely - Mitch Trubisky.   Low end - Sam Darnold 

Whereas Fields, I think we're just seeing the potential.  That Clemson game, was mind blowing and he limped in and shouldnt have played but still carried his team vs. Bama.  High end - Russell Wilson.  Likely - Tannehill (Tenn. version).  Low end - David Carr.

Thank you for articulating a point rather than posting a dog gif. I feel that you are undervaluing Wilsons arm talent/throwing ability. It is the single most important physical tool for a QB and he is special in that department. If we were talking about Chad Pennington taking advantage of a bad schedule I might agree. The thing with Wilson though is that the arm talent explodes off the screen... 

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

I agree with the caveat that I think Wilson needs to sit for a year. This idea that he is going to come in a blow away defenses is not realistic because the speed of the game from the competition he faced in college to the pros is going to be more drastic than a QB that played against power 5 teams consistently. The only guy I feel comfortable with starting right away is Lawrence. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, QB1 said:

Thank you for articulating a point rather than posting a dog gif. I feel that you are undervaluing Wilsons arm talent/throwing ability. It is the single most important physical tool for a QB and he is special in that department. If we were talking about Chad Pennington taking advantage of a bad schedule I might agree. The thing with Wilson though is that the arm talent explodes off the screen... 

I feel many are overrating his arm talent.  I think he’s in for a rude awakening his rookie season.

• Upvote 1