For those still wishing for Fields, get in here! We're going to his proday tomorrow again

From the linked column:

Consider the fact that the narrative that the Jets were absolutely, positively going to take Wilson began well before the quarterback evaluation process was complete. In fact, it started to take shape before all of the quarterbacks had even completed their workouts. Now, count me among those who heard from proven, trusted sources, weeks ago, that Wilson was the Jets' guy at that time and they had an eye on him all along … But that doesn't mean they had to make the decision then, and they still don't have to make it now.

Fields looked like a stud last week in his final opportunity to wow teams, he did his work against far tougher competition than the kid from BYU, and as much as there are oh so many people out there trying to tear him down, there are no shortage of teams that totally love the kid and believe he would be the first overall selection in many drafts (just not this one, because of Trevor Lawrence and all). So, again, let's just keep in mind that the Jets are not contractually bound to take Wilson.

"Are we all sure that Wilson is going second?" one longtime AFC executive said. "Is that written in stone somewhere? Seriously, have they come out and said it? Maybe Wilson is the pick, but you can't tell me he is absolutely a better prospect than Fields. We would take Fields there at 2. What if they do take Fields? Then San Francisco takes Wilson. Then New England comes up to 4 and gets Jones. There's no way that could happen?"

Um, doesn't seem totally crazy to me. Not in the least.

Teams have done the unexpected and surprised us before, just when we thought we had them all figured out. It's one of the many things that makes this event so great. And while I get that one could make the case that the Jets have nothing to gain by pulling the okey doke and coming up with an elaborate ruse, well, I would counter by saying what exactly have the Jets done? Are we truly certain of all the things we believe we are certain of?

• Upvote 4

25 minutes ago, Larz said:

So many red flags on Wilson. He terrifies me 

Most QB prospects have red flags. It’s a roll of the dice when you draft one. When Wilson / Fields is picked come draft night, JD must surround the young QB with a sound OL, good WR’s and running game. Don’t go down the same road which doomed Darnold and eventually Sanchez.

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Lith said:

From the linked column:

Consider the fact that the narrative that the Jets were absolutely, positively going to take Wilson began well before the quarterback evaluation process was complete. In fact, it started to take shape before all of the quarterbacks had even completed their workouts. Now, count me among those who heard from proven, trusted sources, weeks ago, that Wilson was the Jets' guy at that time and they had an eye on him all along … But that doesn't mean they had to make the decision then, and they still don't have to make it now.

Fields looked like a stud last week in his final opportunity to wow teams, he did his work against far tougher competition than the kid from BYU, and as much as there are oh so many people out there trying to tear him down, there are no shortage of teams that totally love the kid and believe he would be the first overall selection in many drafts (just not this one, because of Trevor Lawrence and all). So, again, let's just keep in mind that the Jets are not contractually bound to take Wilson.

"Are we all sure that Wilson is going second?" one longtime AFC executive said. "Is that written in stone somewhere? Seriously, have they come out and said it? Maybe Wilson is the pick, but you can't tell me he is absolutely a better prospect than Fields. We would take Fields there at 2. What if they do take Fields? Then San Francisco takes Wilson. Then New England comes up to 4 and gets Jones. There's no way that could happen?"

Um, doesn't seem totally crazy to me. Not in the least.

Teams have done the unexpected and surprised us before, just when we thought we had them all figured out. It's one of the many things that makes this event so great. And while I get that one could make the case that the Jets have nothing to gain by pulling the okey doke and coming up with an elaborate ruse, well, I would counter by saying what exactly have the Jets done? Are we truly certain of all the things we believe we are certain of?

I’m forced to regif. 
Black Widow Avengers GIF

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, QB1 said:

Based on what. 

Based on what my lying eyes tell me. Based on the Mahomes and Rodgers comps.  

Anyway, he’s going to be drafted by someone that’s for certain and we will know for sure how special/elite that arm talent is in the NFL.  In the meantime I think it’s perfectly ok for us to agree to disagree on how special his arm talent is.

1 minute ago, legler82 said:

Based on what my lying eyes tell me. Based on the Mahomes and Rodgers comps.  

Anyway, he’s going to be drafted by someone that’s for certain and we will know for sure how special/elite that arm talent is in the NFL.  In the meantime I think it’s perfectly ok for us to agree to disagree on how special his arm talent is.

Check your eyes... 

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, QB1 said:

Check your eyes... 

That’s really good but I’ve seen special (Mahomes Texas Tech); that ain’t it.  Also it’s the balls that die on him and don’t make the highlight reel that makes say folks overrate his arm talent.  

Just now, legler82 said:

That’s really good but I’ve seen special (Mahomes Texas Tech); that ain’t it.  Also it’s balls that die on him and don’t make the highlight reel that makes say folks overrate his arm talent.  

yea things less than 10% of NFL QBs can do aren't special, gotcha. 

Just now, greenwichjetfan said:

I was gonna say "Now do a compilation of wow throws by Sam Darnold", but then I realized who I was responding to. 

Sam Darnold doesn’t have a single wow throw comparable to these 

4 minutes ago, QB1 said:

yea things less than 10% of NFL QBs can do aren't special, gotcha. 

No need to catch a tude because my criteria for special differs than yours.  That special tier for me is guys like Mahomes, Cutler, George, Stafford, Rodgers...etc.  Those are the guys that I would be more forgiving with regards to their negatives (sans character concerns) because their arm talent is so special and rare.  Short of that level of arm talent, I look at the entire package.  Fields’ package (pause) is better IMO than Wilson’s.  I’m comfortable with you having a different opinion on this I hope you can too.

4 minutes ago, QB1 said:

Sam Darnold doesn’t have a single wow throw comparable to these 

This is the kind of stuff that makes people cringe at Wilson supporters. It's not enough to like him. No that won't suffice. You have to tear everyone else down and Wilson has to be the second greatest QB in the world behind only Patrick Mahomes. 

• Upvote 4

Just now, greenwichjetfan said:

This is the kind of stuff that makes people cringe at Wilson supporters. It's not enough to like him. No that won't suffice. You have to tear everyone else down and Wilson has to be the second greatest QB in the world behind only Patrick Mahomes. 

I didn't tear anyone down and I never said hes the second greatest QB behind Patrick Mahomes. Show me your Darnold cut ups if anyone has these types of plays, which by the way Wilson did on a weekly basis. 

52 minutes ago, JiF said:

Solid answer.  Here's what I think:

We just witnessed, the best Football Zach Wilson will ever play.  While I dont think this is a huge indictment to the analysis and his projection, lets be real, he took advantage of bad competition.   There are so many low percentage plays/decisoins that had plus outcomes, it was literally like watching a flag football game at times and he was playing with the seniors who were playing the freshman.  He wouldnt be able to repeat that success another year in college during a normal year, let alone in NFL.  He will be much closer to the 2018/2019 version of his career.  Here's the thing though; that might be enough.  If he's developed properly to play more on schedule instead of so dependent on the off script stuff, that type of player could win you games, he'll just never be worthy of the #2 overall pick.  Like you said, he'll never be a superstar.  

I think the fairest comparison to current day NFL players is high end - David Carr.  Likely - Mitch Trubisky.   Low end - Sam Darnold 

Whereas Fields, I think we're just seeing the potential.  That Clemson game, was mind blowing and he limped in and shouldnt have played but still carried his team vs. Bama.  High end - Russell Wilson.  Likely - Tannehill (Tenn. version).  Low end - David Carr.

I pretty much disagree with everything in this post.  Lol, Wilson's high end is Fields low end.  Just a ludicrous take. Wilson has both a higher ceiling because of arm talent and higher floor than Wilson because of arm talent, anticipation, reaction speed and pocket awareness. It is why he is the #2 prospect in the draft and #1 on many boards.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

18 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Wilson has both a higher ceiling because of arm talent and higher floor than Wilson because of arm talent, anticipation, reaction speed and pocket awareness.

Lol. This is just perfect. It's everything that Wilson supporters are. Even Wilson isn't good enough to beat Wilson. 

37 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I was gonna say "Now do a compilation of wow throws by Sam Darnold", but then I realized who I was responding to. 

But what if you wanna look at deep ball proficiency, or turnover rate, or accuracy at all levels of the field. 

10 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Lol. This is just perfect. It's everything that Wilson supporters are. Even Wilson isn't good enough to beat Wilson. 

You know what I meant. And the point is valid. I am not knocking Fields but putting Wilson's ceiling as Fields floor is objectively idiotic

1 hour ago, QB1 said:

Thank you for articulating a point rather than posting a dog gif. I feel that you are undervaluing Wilsons arm talent/throwing ability. It is the single most important physical tool for a QB and he is special in that department. If we were talking about Chad Pennington taking advantage of a bad schedule I might agree. The thing with Wilson though is that the arm talent explodes off the screen... 

You're welcome but it's probably the last and fwiw, I have given many well articulated thoughts on all the QB's in this draft worthy of draft selection.  I was one of the first posters on this board to bring up Zach Wilson as a prospect and to hit the pause button on TL as "generational".  The stamps are out there along with the years high value accurate content as proof.  I dont find the need to endlessly repeat myself over and over again about the same things (like his overrated arm) because it's needless, I've said what I had to say.  When you consider the nonsense that I'm having to deal with for simply sharing my incredibly deep well thought-out analysis of each player (ie: guys like you send me PM's telling me that I suck), what's the point of repeating myself?  It's out there for all to see, all I can do is hope I'm wrong.

The only reason I even gave another take is because I appreciated the question.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

You're welcome but it's probably the last and fwiw, I have given many well articulated thoughts on all the QB's in this draft worthy of draft selection.  I was one of the first posters on this board to bring up Zach Wilson as a prospect and to hit the pause button on TL as "generational".  The stamps are out there along with the years high value accurate content as proof.  I dont find the need to endlessly repeat myself over and over again about the same things (like his overrated arm) because it's needless, I've said what I had to say.  When you consider the nonsense that I'm having to deal with for simply sharing my incredibly deep well thought-out analysis of each player (ie: guys like you send me PM's telling me that I suck), what's the point of repeating myself?  It's out there for all to see, all I can do is hope I'm wrong.

The only reason I even gave another take is because I appreciated the question.

Let’s be clear, I PMed you because you were flooding my notifications on purpose. Back to the gifs

43 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

On the last 2 pages, johnnysd neg'd rep'd a fair no attack opinion on a QB that he disagreed with and called anyone who disagrees with him, an idiot,

And these mofo's are wondering why I'm posting adorable dog gif's? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jvill 51 said:

La Canfora saying it’s not for sure Wilson is the pick at 2 is pretty much 100% confirmation that Wilson is for sure the pick at 2

This is fact.  lol.  Oh well, just got to hope Wilson is real and Fields doesnt fall to New England.  lol

Just now, legler82 said:

Remember how happy Jets fans were when we got Darnold and the Bills got Josh Allen.

Good Times Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

I hated Darnold. But that has nothing to do with this analysis. Especially since it’s possible that Fields is maxed out, showing decline in his Junior year compared to his Sophomore year kind of like Darnold.... 

(I don’t believe Fields is Darnold, I’m just saying that you made a bad point).