Jump to content

For those still wishing for Fields, get in here! We're going to his proday tomorrow again


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, derp said:

I’m not being sarcastic, can you point me to where that time to throw stat was again? Both guys have some concerning stuff, I know Fields held the ball longer when blitzes than when not blitzed and Wilson had double the percentage of throws over 4 seconds when compared to the next highest guy (14% vs. 7%).

It’s a PFF stat. 
C7C1275D-45E2-41C0-9947-9BAF1AFCC17D.thumb.jpeg.bb0ce0868283ad44dd44708e9883e674.jpeg

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I find it hilarious that off platform throws are now a requirement for top QBs.  In 2017 Mahomes’ off platform brilliance was labeled as “bad mechanics”.  Now we would “like to see a few more examples

Great source

La Canfora saying it’s not for sure Wilson is the pick at 2 is pretty much 100% confirmation that Wilson is for sure the pick at 2

Posted Images

On 4/13/2021 at 9:05 PM, JiFapono said:

You might want to put on a pair of diapers for this but I was just watching some draft thingy between the Mets games and Justin Fields and Kyle Pitts and Jayce Horn were all being featured and....did you put on diapers?...

Your boo sauce, Kyle Pitts said Justin Fields is the best QB in the draft.

 

What did Mr Pitts have to say about his elongated release ???

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, legler82 said:

Time to bash La Canfora now.  The Wilson hype train crushes everything in its path.

I want Fields. La Canfora is just comically wrong nearly all of the time.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Seven sacks in those three games. Wilson was sacked 11 times in 12 games.

But that Navy Pass Rush is demonic

  • Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Jason LaCanfora says: 

 

Quote

At least one team in the NFL is not fully convinced the Jets are selecting Zach Wilson with the second overall pick. And, perhaps, a few more.

It's a thought worth considering, at the very least. And an option worth entertaining, at the very least, for a football franchise that has done such a horrible job of developing a first-rate passer. What if the Jets chose Justin Fields? Is that really out of the question? Is that somehow crazy?

Anything goes this time of year in the NFL, with the draft less than two weeks away and silly season in maximum overdrive. And at a time when there has suddenly been at least a little more wiggle room in Mock Draft Nation – and in Vegas – when it comes to San Francisco taking Fields and not Mac Jones with the third overall pick (readers of this space already knew that was coming), well, why is it not worth examining the possibilities that the Jets don't grab Wilson?

Consider the fact that the narrative that the Jets were absolutely, positively going to take Wilson began well before the quarterback evaluation process was complete. In fact, it started to take shape before all of the quarterbacks had even completed their workouts. Now, count me among those who heard from proven, trusted sources, weeks ago, that Wilson was the Jets' guy at that time and they had an eye on him all along But that doesn't mean they had to make the decision then, and they still don't have to make it now.

Fields looked like a stud last week in his final opportunity to wow teams, he did his work against far tougher competition than the kid from BYU, and as much as there are oh so many people out there trying to tear him down, there are no shortage of teams that totally love the kid and believe he would be the first overall selection in many drafts (just not this one, because of Trevor Lawrence and all). So, again, let's just keep in mind that the Jets are not contractually bound to take Wilson.

"Are we all sure that Wilson is going second?" one longtime AFC executive said. "Is that written in stone somewhere? Seriously, have they come out and said it? Maybe Wilson is the pick, but you can't tell me he is absolutely a better prospect than Fields. We would take Fields there at 2. What if they do take Fields? Then San Francisco takes Wilson. Then New England comes up to 4 and gets Jones. There's no way that could happen?"

Um, doesn't seem totally crazy to me. Not in the least.

Teams have done the unexpected and surprised us before, just when we thought we had them all figured out. It's one of the many things that makes this event so great. And while I get that one could make the case that the Jets have nothing to gain by pulling the okey doke and coming up with an elaborate ruse, well, I would counter by saying what exactly have the Jets done? Are we truly certain of all the things we believe we are certain of?

I'm as guilty as falling into that trap as anyone. And I may have already done it in this case. But I'm definitely going to keep sniffing and snooping around on the quarterback roulette, because that wheel is definitely still spinning and it might not stop on all of the spots we think it will.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-draft-2021-are-the-jets-definitely-taking-zach-wilson-why-not-all-are-convinced-plus-more-insider-notes/

 

its happening the office GIF

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bitonti said:

40 minutes later:

I’m not saying anything is locked in (although everything I have heard is it’s going to be Wilson and I am sure the team knows who they are picking by now) but LaCanfora is the last person, and I mean LAST, I’m listening to because there is A LOT more where that came from.  Especially when you read the article and see that it’s just an executive speculating.

(I have now, officially, jinxed things by posting this, so those holding out hope for Fields?  You’re welcome.)

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Lith said:
"Are we all sure that Wilson is going second?" one longtime AFC executive said. "Is that written in stone somewhere? Seriously, have they come out and said it? Maybe Wilson is the pick, but you can't tell me he is absolutely a better prospect than Fields. We would take Fields there at 2. What if they do take Fields? Then San Francisco takes Wilson. Then New England comes up to 4 and gets Jones. There's no way that could happen?"

I fail to find the relevance of whether the Cheats move up to #4 to draft Mac “Manboobs” Jones or not. 
 

I know it’s a quote, but still...as a journalist he needs to end the quote where the relevance of the subject at hand ends. 
 

#cheatfreelife

Link to post
Share on other sites

Big Justin Fields fan here, I mean worst case, he’s a very accurate passer with a strong arm, who knows how to use his legs for both creating more time to both pass or run.

i thought he was better in 2019, Big Ten blew it big time with their Covid response, first overreacting and cancelling the season  then making very, very strict practice rules, Fields and tOSU only played 6 regular season games, Bama was 12-0 when they beat a wounded Fields.

I can’t see Fields totally  busting, worst case, I see a guy who can drop back and throw it 60- 65 yards downfield accurately, roll out and be a very dangerous QB  in the red zone with the run/ pass option and throw accurately to his first option with velo and touch.

Nobody really knows about the rest of the intangibles until we see them play a season but just can’t see him being a total bust. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the part I don't get. Trevor Lawrence is annointed a generational talent. Justin Fields had the same metrics, in some cases even better than Lawrence, and played against top competition. How is it that a lot fans just choose to ignore that and want the kid who played against wesker competition?

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

This is the part I don't get. Trevor Lawrence is annointed a generational talent. Justin Fields had the same metrics, in some cases even better than Lawrence, and played against top competition. How is it that a lot fans just choose to ignore that and want the kid who played against wesker competition?

Gonna be DeShaun Watson 2.0

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

This is the part I don't get. Trevor Lawrence is annointed a generational talent. Justin Fields had the same metrics, in some cases even better than Lawrence, and played against top competition. How is it that a lot fans just choose to ignore that and want the kid who played against wesker competition?

Goes from 1B or the sure #2 and now he’s #5??? Seriously scratching my head here.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

there is zero chance the jets are drafting fields at 2

Totally accurate ... if they want Fields they are trading down.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2021 at 1:03 PM, legler82 said:

Go back and look at all the negatives for Justin Herbert and simply replace the last name.  Their alleged “red flags” are nearly identical.  In my amateur opinion, it’s over analyzing. 

This couldn’t be further from the truth...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, football guy said:

This couldn’t be further from the truth...

 

The following sounds exactly like all the drivel the talking heads are saying about Fields:

 

1. Anticipation/Instincts

This is the biggest concern by far. There are numerous examples where Herbert to doesn’t pull the trigger when he should or his instincts kick in too late.  
 

This one sticks out to me because it’s against Auburn in Week 1, a game Oregon should have won. There is a clear window here where Herbert needs to let it loose. He’s got the arm strength to let it fly.

There are more of these, and they can be glaring when it’s clear he sees a WR open but doesn’t pull the trigger right away.

2. Flat-out misses 

Herbert just misses on a ton of throws. Here’s a good example from the Washington State game. The WR just sits in the zone and Herbert overshoots him. There’s nothing more to say. It’s not a good throw. Herbert needs to have more touch on some of these throws. Again, you can find many of these in the film.
 

3. Locks on to one read and doesn’t come off

There are times when Herbert locks on to a route before the snap, and he’s throwing there, even if someone else is open. Is this coaching? Is it Herbert? This is what scouts will need to find out.

4. Footwork issues 

I don’t have film for this, so I will rely on Greg Cosell’s scouting report. He’s the best in the business and does a fantastic job of talking about all Herbert’s issues.”

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, legler82 said:

 

The following sounds exactly like all the drivel the talking heads are saying about Fields:

 

1. Anticipation/Instincts

This is the biggest concern by far. There are numerous examples where Herbert to doesn’t pull the trigger when he should or his instincts kick in too late.  
 

This one sticks out to me because it’s against Auburn in Week 1, a game Oregon should have won. There is a clear window here where Herbert needs to let it loose. He’s got the arm strength to let it fly.

There are more of these, and they can be glaring when it’s clear he sees a WR open but doesn’t pull the trigger right away.

2. Flat-out misses 

Herbert just misses on a ton of throws. Here’s a good example from the Washington State game. The WR just sits in the zone and Herbert overshoots him. There’s nothing more to say. It’s not a good throw. Herbert needs to have more touch on some of these throws. Again, you can find many of these in the film.
 

3. Locks on to one read and doesn’t come off

There are times when Herbert locks on to a route before the snap, and he’s throwing there, even if someone else is open. Is this coaching? Is it Herbert? This is what scouts will need to find out.

4. Footwork issues 

I don’t have film for this, so I will rely on Greg Cosell’s scouting report. He’s the best in the business and does a fantastic job of talking about all Herbert’s issues.”

 

 

More drivel, excuse me critique, Herbert received that Fields is also receiving.

From a clean pocket, Herbert has the highest accurate pass rate in the 2020 draft class throwing 20-plus yards downfield. Though if the clean pocket collapses, Herbert becomes increasingly volatile. Among 129 qualifying quarterbacks this season, Herbert ranked 124th in negatively graded play rate under pressure. You can see his panic in a collapsing pocket, an area where a first-round quarterback really shouldn’t be losing his poise.”

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

19 pages about a guy who we are not drafting and is tumbling down the draft board.  Unreal.

And some people were flabbergasted when I asked why Fields might drop out of the top 5 and maybe even top 10

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

19 pages about a guy who we are not drafting and is tumbling down the draft board.  Unreal.

And 2-3 years from now we will be bumping this up to look at the glorious receipts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, legler82 said:

And 2-3 years from now we will be bumping this up to look at the glorious receipts.

He's dropping whether he's good or not. We're just trying to figure out why.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tranquilo said:

And some people were flabbergasted when I asked why Fields might drop out of the top 5 and maybe even top 10

It’s pretty meaningless where he gets drafted.

I mean Bears took Trubisky at #2 and Mahomes went 8 picks later, didn’t really effect how either played.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

This is the part I don't get. Trevor Lawrence is annointed a generational talent. Justin Fields had the same metrics, in some cases even better than Lawrence, and played against top competition. How is it that a lot fans just choose to ignore that and want the kid who played against wesker competition?

Come on, TL has been a generational talent since HS and was the winning QB In a championship game as a Freshman.

He’s 6’5 has well above average arm strength and foot speed and is reminiscent of a more athletic Peyton Manning.

The fact that this is a great year for QB’s, with 4-5 who could be immediate starters and Franchise type guys, in no way changes the fact that TL is a great prospect, a prototype .The kind you build in the lab as the perfect QB, though, he could be a little thicker to ward off injury.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Leftylarry said:

It’s pretty meaningless where he gets drafted.

I mean Bears took Trubisky at #2 and Mahomes went 8 picks later, didn’t really effect how either played.

I know I get that, but the point is trying to figure out why other than “GMS ARE STUPID”

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, legler82 said:

 

The following sounds exactly like all the drivel the talking heads are saying about Fields:

 

1. Anticipation/Instincts

This is the biggest concern by far. There are numerous examples where Herbert to doesn’t pull the trigger when he should or his instincts kick in too late.  
 

This one sticks out to me because it’s against Auburn in Week 1, a game Oregon should have won. There is a clear window here where Herbert needs to let it loose. He’s got the arm strength to let it fly.

There are more of these, and they can be glaring when it’s clear he sees a WR open but doesn’t pull the trigger right away.

2. Flat-out misses 

Herbert just misses on a ton of throws. Here’s a good example from the Washington State game. The WR just sits in the zone and Herbert overshoots him. There’s nothing more to say. It’s not a good throw. Herbert needs to have more touch on some of these throws. Again, you can find many of these in the film.
 

3. Locks on to one read and doesn’t come off

There are times when Herbert locks on to a route before the snap, and he’s throwing there, even if someone else is open. Is this coaching? Is it Herbert? This is what scouts will need to find out.

4. Footwork issues 

I don’t have film for this, so I will rely on Greg Cosell’s scouting report. He’s the best in the business and does a fantastic job of talking about all Herbert’s issues.”

 

 

You might be right, but when I watch them both in college Herbert looks like a much more natural and instinctual player. My concern with fields is that he is very mechanical and a tick slow to move and react in general, even when running. It's like he doesn't have great control of his body... Reminds me of markelle fultz playing basketball. Just what I see when comparing the two. I like Fields, and wouldn't be surprised if he turns out the be the best QB in the class if he goes into the right situation. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

I know I get that, but the point is trying to figure out why other than “GMS ARE STUPID”

Draft hasn’t happened yet and yes, stupidity rules the day in the world right now.

Fields had a terrible game against a surprisingly good Indiana defense during this crazy Covid Big Ten season , where they canceled the season and Fields was one of the players leaders that lobbied to get the season back, I think the entire situation hurt him and the league and their performance.

Lastly, Fields might still be the #3 pick.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Leftylarry said:

Draft hasn’t happened yet and yes, stupidity rules the day in the world right now.

Fields had a terrible game against a surprisingly good Indiana defense during this crazy Covid Big Ten season , where they canceled the season and Fields was one of the players leaders that lobbied to get the season back, I think the entire situation hurt him and the league and their performance.

Lastly, Fields might still be the #3 pick.

So he's dropping because of that game?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Leftylarry said:

Big Justin Fields fan here, I mean worst case, he’s a very accurate passer with a strong arm, who knows how to use his legs for both creating more time to both pass or run.

i thought he was better in 2019, Big Ten blew it big time with their Covid response, first overreacting and cancelling the season  then making very, very strict practice rules, Fields and tOSU only played 6 regular season games, Bama was 12-0 when they beat a wounded Fields.

I can’t see Fields totally  busting, worst case, I see a guy who can drop back and throw it 60- 65 yards downfield accurately, roll out and be a very dangerous QB  in the red zone with the run/ pass option and throw accurately to his first option with velo and touch.

Nobody really knows about the rest of the intangibles until we see them play a season but just can’t see him being a total bust. 

Have you been posting as Leftylarry for a long time? I remember a leftylarry from the message boards about 20 years ago. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

So he's dropping because of that game?

He’s dropping perceivably because of over analyzation.  It happens to a QB every year.  He’s the guy this year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, legler82 said:

He’s dropping perceivably because of over analyzation.  It happens to a QB every year.  He’s the guy this year.

Yeah but what are they over analyzing? What part of his game are they zoning in on that's causing the drop?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...