Horrible News - Al Toon's Daughter Murdered

Another great Jet WR loses his daughter. Prayers to the Toon family!

https://nypost.com/2021/04/13/molly-lillard-daughter-of-al-toon-dead-in-apparent-murder-suicide/

Molly Lillard, the daughter of New York Jets great Al Toon, was fatally shot Sunday at her Arizona home in an apparent murder-suicide, a report said.

Police believe Lillard’s husband, 36-year-old Royce Lillard III, shot her before turning the gun on himself in their Scottsdale house.

The couple’s 8-month-old child was there at the time and was not injured, police said.

Royce Lillard is suspected of killing his wife sometime before 5 p.m. When police showed up to their residence, he barricaded himself inside.

A SWAT team entered the home at about 10:45 p.m., finding him dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound, according to police.

The couple’s infant is being cared for by the family.

Molly Lillard was a standout volleyball player, both at her Wisconsin high school and later at the University of Michigan, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

Her father, Toon, set football records at University of Wisconsin before getting drafted by the Jets.

The wide receiver made it to the Pro Bowl three times in eight years.

Horrible news.  I feel for Al toon.  You feel so numb and empty with a loss like this.

Lost my mother last September.  My sister soon from cancer.  

You lose part of yourself when you lose a loved one.  

Toon will never recover from this.  Never be the same.  He just had his heart ripped out from him.  

This is so cruel.

Horrible.  Al Toon was a beautiful player to watch.  He carried himself and played the game with a level of grace that you rarely see.  Huge fan of his and really feel terrible about this.   I hope he can find some way to process and live with this and be a mentor to his surviving grandchild.  

RIP

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, GreenReaper said:

Horrible news.  I feel for Al toon.  You feel so numb and empty with a loss like this.

Lost my mother last September.  My sister soon from cancer.  

You lose part of yourself when you lose a loved one.  

Toon will never recover from this.  Never be the same.  He just had his heart ripped out from him.  

This is so cruel.

Sorry for your loss and in no way am I minimizing it, but people both young and old die of natural causes, get sick and perish, and die in accidents. Losing someone to suicide is a different ball of grief and wreckage for those left behind if it's a solitary act and the person just takes out themselves, so there's that part; but that is not what happened here. Because of that, no reason to discuss suicide and suffering and solitary acts of desperation because this isn't it. It would also leave an unintended impression of implied sympathy towards the murderer, of which I have none. Just erase him.

Further, being the parents of a murdered child is something that there is never any semblance of closure for. I'm adopted, and my biological father's first cousin (late teens) was murdered by her boyfriend (also late teens) in the early 70s. There were no orders of protection to speak of back then, and he strangled her and threw her body in a ditch behind a bowling alley. To say that her parents and the rest of his family were never the same is an understatement. 

If you suspect that a friend or loved one is a victim of domestic violence, please meddle and insert yourself if even anonymously, which isn't to say that the Toon family did not. What an awful tragedy.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, Biggs said:

Horrible.  Al Toon was a beautiful player to watch.  He carried himself and played the game with a level of grace that you rarely see.  Huge fan of his and really feel terrible about this.   I hope he can find some way to process and live with this and be a mentor to his surviving grandchild.  

RIP

Al was an extremely intelligent person, and was always introspective when he was interviewed.

I agree with everything you said, and feel horrible for him and his family.

I'm not a gun fan, and feel that it's just too easy of a way out when someone is in pain.

I don't know what the answer is, but I do agree that people should be allowed to have a gun to defend themselves and their homes.  

I know this is a contradiction, but I don't know what the answer is.  Very sad.

There are a large number of people in this country with untreated mental health issues. Even people who are baker acted into mental health facilities can sign thier own release in a 72 hour period. Until we, as a country deal more seriously with this, we'll be reading stories like this on a regular basis. My heart goes out to all families involved, and to Al Toon, in particular.

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

I dont even know what that means but there is no politics allowed here.

Its not fair because you guys get to put in your jabs while the rule followers have to grind their teeth and stay silent. 

so the gentlemanly thing to do it practice self control, show respect for differing opinions and obey the no politics rule

ok

i misunderstood you

i will respect the no politics in the website .

We lost our daughter Landry at birth 5 months ago... Different kind of tragedy, different kind of pain... My wife, her older sister Raegan, and I miss her every day.

My heart goes out to Toon and anyone else who has lived this nightmare and lives with it every day.

You know every moment moving forward is different than it is supposed to be  and you are missing something you would give everything else up for...