Asante Samuel Jr., CB, Florida State
Brady Christensen, OT, BYU
Kenneth Gainwell, RB, Memphis
Robert Hainsey, OG/C, Notre Dame
James Wiggins, DS, Cincinnati
Ben Mason, FB, Michigan
Isaiah McDuffie, LB, Boston College
Dax Milne, WR, BYU

Samuel is not worth a pick till day 3.... much better CBs out there.... he only gets recognition because of his father.

horrible picks

as a poster wisely pointed out recently, these mocks are so bogus. whoever is making them cannot possibly understand the needs of every team in the league. instead, they focus on "sort of" needs and bpa.

I have done a ton of pff mock simulators and the results are usually very good because I know we need qb, cb, wr ol

• Upvote 1

That's the problem with a roster with as many holes as the Jets have.  No matter what choices JD makes, he leaves important roles unfilled.  I don't expect much from the 2021 Jets.

More important than which position choices he makes is whether those choices are good values based on what else is available.  Hard for us to know that, but still the critical factor.

All that being said, we need an OL that will scare someone besides Tenafly Hight School.

JD has decided on a QB at #2.  For God's sakes, don't get him killed in his first season.

JD is taking an OL with pick 23. Period. I've done 100 of these LOL Rarely taking an OL @ 23 but after considerable thought, I believe JD will stay true to himself and go with best OL prospect @ 23 and probably trade back OR up @ 34.   Anyways, made a few trade backs, got a couple extra picks and this is what I came up with. Heavy focus on the OL early - just to much talent there to pass up at our weakest position.

2. Zach Wilson QB BYU

23. Alijah Vera-Tucker OG USC

34. Jaelan Phillips  EDGE Miami (FL)

66. Liam Eichenberg OT Notre Dame

87. D’Wayne Eskridge WR Western Michigan

107. Trill Williams CB Syracuse

146. Anthony Schwartz WR Auburn

147. Divine Deablo S Virginia Tech

163. Chuba Hubbard RB Oklahoma State

195. Camryn Bynum CB California

244. McPhearson K 

• Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Let me see, do we have an edge rusher? No. Do we have a #1 DB? No.

Did we take OL at 66 and 107? Yes. 

Works for me.

If Joe doesn't go O Line by #34, he deserves his next fire Joe Douglas thread.

#1 Goal.   PROTECT YOUR YOUNG QB

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, addage said:

That's the problem with a roster with as many holes as the Jets have.  No matter what choices JD makes, he leaves important roles unfilled.  I don't expect much from the 2021 Jets.

More important than which position choices he makes is whether those choices are good values based on what else is available.  Hard for us to know that, but still the critical factor.

All that being said, we need an OL that will scare someone besides Tenafly Hight School.

JD has decided on a QB at #2.  For God's sakes, don't get him killed in his first season.

There are too many holes to fill in one draft.   Talent is needed everywhere.

You literally just traded away a guy who people thought was a FQB.  He failed at least in part because of no help around him on offense.   Get the next one some help, protect that young QB.

Just now, chirorob said:

If Joe doesn't go O Line by #34, he deserves his next fire Joe Douglas thread.

#1 Goal.   PROTECT YOUR YOUNG QB

Yeah, I'm sure he stays up at night thinking about that. 

The blade cuts to ways. If your D allows every team to score 30+, that pressure to score all the time on a rookie is about as bad as not taking an OL. As long as JD is taking OL in the top 100, that should be a guy that cam start.  Not every OL need to be a day 1 pick. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

New York Jets

RD. PICK PLAYER
Zach Wilson, QB, BYU
Azeez Ojulari, edge, Georgia
Asante Samuel Jr., CB, Florida State
Brady Christensen, OT, BYU
Kenneth Gainwell, RB, Memphis
Robert Hainsey, OG/C, Notre Dame
James Wiggins, DS, Cincinnati
Ben Mason, FB, Michigan
Isaiah McDuffie, LB, Boston College
Dax Milne, WR, BYU

63792000.jpg.1ac95266d1b86ba4efeca2804e9d2ac4.jpg

Take a big strong fast RB and put him behind a crap line and you get a lot of 2 yard runs. Put him behind a great line where he sees daylight on his runs and the Tackle can seal the edge on outside runs and you get Shonn Greene putting games away in the fourth quarter against a worn out D.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, football guy said:

If I were running a team this is what I would do. Stack to the max. Give me all the OL and help this year. I don't anticipate being a great team in 2021 so let the offense grow around the QB and then I'll spend all the picks on defense next year. Only way I divert from OL/o-skill in the top 86 is for an edge rusher

Agreed FG, I actually welcome with open arms a defense that hemorrhages points next season if it means our young QB is given a chance to succeed and grow. Build the line, provide a weapon or two, focus on defense next year.

I've posted it a thousand time: We CANNOT, under any circumstances, afford to destroy another young QB and waste 5 more years. I can't deal with it. 

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i don't know.  i'm not so against taking top rated defensive players like edge and db with some high draft picks.good oline players can be found in the 3-4 range.

This has been the Jets stance on OL in the past, and the exact reason they are in the OL mess they are in.

Jets will be starting a rookie QB.  No matter who it is he is going to be green, and need up front protection, or he will fail.

Right now Dan Feeney is penciled in as LG.  IDK who will be playing RG.

Jets MUST  get an OG they can plug in and play.  The 3rd round is where you get maybe's.  

Jets need an instant starter.  It is the most need position on the team.  If they don't take OL at 23, or 34, maybe both, they will be repeating the same thing they did to Darnold.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

We have a ton of draft resources this year and next, we will have a new wet behind the ears QB this year, we need to draft oline high, even if we trade up to do so.

A CB within the too 3 picks?  Maybe, we have the need, an edge or LB would be an awful pick.

It doesn't have to be 2 O Lineman, but there has to be one.  You can not let this QB get crushed like the last one, and, sadly, draft pics aren't always studs day one.

1 hour ago, Wonderboy said:

JD is taking an OL with pick 23. Period. I've done 100 of these LOL Rarely taking an OL @ 23 but after considerable thought, I believe JD will stay true to himself and go with best OL prospect @ 23 and probably trade back OR up @ 34.   Anyways, made a few trade backs, got a couple extra picks and this is what I came up with. Heavy focus on the OL early - just to much talent there to pass up at our weakest position.

2. Zach Wilson QB BYU

23. Alijah Vera-Tucker OG USC

34. Jaelan Phillips  EDGE Miami (FL)

66. Liam Eichenberg OT Notre Dame

87. D’Wayne Eskridge WR Western Michigan

107. Trill Williams CB Syracuse

146. Anthony Schwartz WR Auburn

147. Divine Deablo S Virginia Tech

163. Chuba Hubbard RB Oklahoma State

195. Camryn Bynum CB California

244. McPhearson K 

If this is the draft we need up with, I’m going to need a large package of wet wipes.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, football guy said:

Exactly my thoughts. And honestly, how bad is our CB situation? The team likes Hall, Austin, and Guidry. You can sign a starter or 2 if need be, or at least a guy who can be a spot starter (Rasul Douglas, Brian Poole). The scheme is built to reduce pressure on the CBs, so that should help too. No matter who we add, I don't see our defense improving much next year. Players have to adjust to the scheme, still have a lot of young/developing players on that side of the ball... lets focus on the offense for once. The defense will be a bully in time; so many resources to inject there next season

Javelin Guidry is a guy a lot of people are forgetting about.  NFLN replayed the Jets-Raiders game the other night (still can't believe Gregg Williams called that blitz!) and I took note of Guidry.  He was the one making the tackle and forced fumble on Henry Ruggs that Marcus Maye recoverd.  I think he's only going to get better.

As you mentioned, Hall, Guidry and Austin are still pretty heavily in favor with JD and likely with the new staff.  Two of those guys were acquired by JD and the third, Austin, has played fairly well for a late round pick recovering from injury in 2019.  The key though is that they are all still really young guys.  I think the Jets sign a low $$ FA corner and I think they look for a rookie somewhere on Day 3 to supplement the group.

Let's not forget that the zone coverage scheme Saleh will primarily deploy doesn't require uber athletic lock-down cover CBs (which are the real unicorns of the NFL and hard to find).  We don't need a bunch of Darelle Revis types to do what Saleh wants to do.  Smart guys who follow the scheme, who can close, breakup passes and tackle right after the catch can do well in the new secondary.  What Saleh does need are pass rushers.  That's the key to his D IMO.... guys who prevent the ball from ever being thrown or who rush the QB into making a bad, hurried throw that your average CBs can pick off.  At least that's my perception of it.

• Upvote 3

I don't like his picks - like many others - but always interesting to see where the more tuned in guys in the media expect other players to fall. While I don't like Dane's picks - I am encouraged by the following: 

At pick 23 - would have the option of Newsome/Leatherwood/Humphrey/Dickerson

At pick 34 - would have option of Humphrey/Dickerson/Stokes/Terrace Marshall

At pick 66 - we would have the option of Dynami Brown/Walker Little/Tommy Tremble/Paulson Abedo

At pick 86 - we could pick from Wyatt Davis/Kendrick Green/D'Wayne Eskridge/Nico Collins/

So if we don't like the picks - can imagine a scenario where we get: 

23 - Newsome

34 - Humphrey or Dickerson

66 - Dynami Brown

86 - Kendrick Green 

or more offense focused; 

23 - Leatherwood 

34 - Terrace Marsha

66 - Pauson Abedo 

86 - Kendrick Green

There are so many guys on day 2 that could be plug and play for this team - if the board broke this way I wouldn't be opposed to opting not to select Newsome and try and get 2 more day 2 picks. 

• NYJ
    2. Zach Wilson QB BYU

• NYJ
    Alijah Vera-Tucker
    OG USC

• NYJ
    Caleb Farley
    CB Virginia Tech

• NYJ
    Quinn Meinerz
    OC Wisconsin-Whitewater

• NYJ
    Tylan Wallace
    WR Oklahoma State

• NYJ
    Patrick Jones
    EDGE Pittsburgh

• NYJ
    Divine Deablo
    S Virginia Tech

• NYJ
    Charles Snowden
    LB Virginia

• NYJ
    Kylin Hill
    RB Mississippi State

• NYJ
    Jose Borregales
    K Miami (FL)

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Javelin Guidry is a guy a lot of people are forgetting about.  NFLN replayed the Jets-Raiders game the other night (still can't believe Gregg Williams called that blitz!) and I took note of Guidry.  He was the one making the tackle and forced fumble on Henry Ruggs that Marcus Maye recoverd.  I think he's only going to get better.

As you mentioned, Hall, Guidry and Austin are still pretty heavily in favor with JD and likely with the new staff.  Two of those guys were acquired by JD and the third, Austin, has played fairly well for a late round pick recovering from injury in 2019.  The key though is that they are all still really young guys.  I think the Jets sign a low $$ FA corner and I think they look for a rookie somewhere on Day 3 to supplement the group.

Let's not forget that the zone coverage scheme Saleh will primarily deploy doesn't require uber athletic lock-down cover CBs (which are the real unicorns of the NFL and hard to find).  We don't need a bunch of Darelle Revis types to do what Saleh wants to do.  Smart guys who follow the scheme, who can close, breakup passes and tackle right after the catch can do well in the new secondary.  What Saleh does need are pass rushers.  That's the key to his D IMO.... guys who prevent the ball from ever being thrown or who rush the QB into making a bad, hurried throw that your average CBs can pick off.  At least that's my perception of it.

I wouldn't count out Lamar Jackson either (UDFA CB out of Nebraska)

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, football guy said:

If I were running a team this is what I would do. Stack to the max. Give me all the OL and help this year. I don't anticipate being a great team in 2021 so let the offense grow around the QB and then I'll spend all the picks on defense next year. Only way I divert from OL/o-skill in the top 86 is for an edge rusher

But will they actually do this with a defensive minded head coach??

9 hours ago, flgreen said:

Love Wilson but, 3 BYU players?  C'mon.    Christensen got owned in the Coastal Carolina game by #94 Jeffery Gunther.  

Usually like Brugler, but can't buy this one. 

To put that in perspective, I think the last time BYU had 3 players drafted in the whole draft was like 15 years ago

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Wit said:

But will they actually do this with a defensive minded head coach??

Ultimately Douglas has the final say, but I'd expect this to play into it. That said, worth noting that in Bruce Arians' first year in TB (2019), they spent their first 5 picks on defenders (6th was WR Scotty Miller in the 6th round). Ultimately they drafted 6 defensive players, 1 special teamer, 1 offensive player despite Bruce being rooted on the offensive side of the ball so who really knows ?‍♂️