Clowney to Cleveland

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

....they're likely going to part ways with Jamison Crowder and his $10M.... or at least ask him to take a pay cut for this final year.

Yes!  It sucks to keep your best players.  Go Joe, go!  Clean that house!  Expan shun team!  Two and fifteen!  

SAR I

19 minutes ago, SAR I said:

You’d think 7-9 to 2-14 would have been their first clue.  Identical coaching staff.  Identical quarterback.  A purely Joe Douglas roster. 

SAR I

He intentionally tanked the season and sacrificed Darnold so he could 'reset' the financial QB clock. If this wasn't the plan then he's an idiot and we'll be right back to square one in two years.

21 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

I wouldn’t have minded Clowney for say $7 on a 1 yr deal. He would help the edge rotation.

While we are not a playoff team, a good defense helps Zach (ie better field position, not always having to play from behind etc). Clowney is better than our 3rd option off the edge.

he's not even better than vinny curry, who signed a 1-year, $1.3 million contract

18 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

he's not even better than vinny curry, who signed a 1-year, $1.3 million contract

That’s who I think is our number 2. We got Vinny Curry on a great deal. Clowney is better then the other guys.

Edit: I forgot about JFM. Alright, I agree he’s not worth getting even in a backup role.

11 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

That’s who I think is our number 2. We got Vinny Curry on a great deal. Clowney is better then the other guys.

Edit: I forgot about JFM. Alright, I agree he’s not worth getting even in a backup role.

curry got a $1.3MM, 1-year deal.

why would the jets go out and give clowney 7x as much money when he's not even as productive of a pass rusher as curry?

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

He intentionally tanked the season and sacrificed Darnold so he could 'reset' the financial QB clock. If this wasn't the plan then he's an idiot and we'll be right back to square one in two years.

complete utter nonsense-he did not intentionally tank the season and if you want to say he did he failed at that because  we are not getting trevor. If the plan was a tank he would have thrown guys like Morgan out there 

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Who says we dont have the money for Clowney?

people were talking about his 10 million dollar price tag- as crazy as this may be to some-we actually need to field a good roster with competitive players -it does not need to take 5-8 years to rebuild as Parcells showed with his 4-28 team he inherited and he didnt do it at the expense of the future either. Some folks here think you either suck or are great-a rebuild really should be incremental progress at a minimum-our roster was made worse so far under Joe-this is a fact and proven by our two win team

16 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Maybe my point isn't clear in this thread because I'm getting hammered. lol

I don't want Clowney.  I don't want a one-year rental at a premium position for a team that isn't yet a playoff contender.  Teams that need a guy to take them from 10 wins to 11 can use a Clowney for $10M for one year.  I'd rather the Jets try to find a young Edge rusher in the Draft that they can develop, a guy who will be a sponge for Saleh and stay here for a few years.  Dropping $10M on Clowney after signing Lawson for $45M (and JD probably still having hope for his 3rd round Edge rusher from 2020) likely takes guys like Jaelen Phillips, Ronnie Perkins, etc. completely off the table for this year's Draft.

In fact, just to stick with this theme, I think if the Jets draft a slot WR in the first 3 rounds they're likely going to part ways with Jamison Crowder and his $10M.... or at least ask him to take a pay cut for this final year.

Yes, Crowder is toast.  Anyone mac overpaid has no place here.  Heck outside of Quinnen, anyone Mac drafted or brought in here is in trouble.

Joe D is the king and it putting on a rebuilding clinic.  In 3 years the jets will be one of the top teams in the AFC, making the playoffs every year and vying for a Super Bowl.  

What a great time to be a jet fan.

34 minutes ago, kmnj said:

people were talking about his 10 million dollar price tag- as crazy as this may be to some-we actually need to field a good roster with competitive players -it does not need to take 5-8 years to rebuild as Parcells showed with his 4-28 team he inherited and he didnt do it at the expense of the future either. Some folks here think you either suck or are great-a rebuild really should be incremental progress at a minimum-our roster was made worse so far under Joe-this is a fact and proven by our two win team

I dont see why you think we're on a 5-8 year building plan because we didnt sign Clowney.  

Parcells showed with the 4-28 team he inherited had more talent than 4-28 would lead you to believe other than it was led by Kotite.  

2 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Yes, Crowder is toast.  Anyone mac overpaid has no place here.  Heck outside of Quinnen, anyone Mac drafted or brought in here is in trouble.

Joe D is the king and it putting on a rebuilding clinic.  In 3 years the jets will be one of the top teams in the AFC, making the playoffs every year and vying for a Super Bowl.  

What a great time to be a jet fan.

Just a bit outside...

Crowder is not toast.  He's a very good slot WR who is paid a bit more than his market value might be, but on this team with lots of cap and not so much talent, that's not a burning problem.  

And yes, while Macc's draft history is horrible, your blanket statement is a bit hyperbolic.

Bless Austin, Folo Fatukasi, Marcus Maye (who I thought was an idiotic pick at the time) are all fine.  Herndon might even turn it around as well.  None of them are 'in trouble'.  Now 3, possibly 4 good players over 4 years of drafting is putrid but if you factor in the picks we got back for Maye and Sam, it moves up slightly from from 'all-time putrid' to 'all-time really, really awful'.  So there's that :) (an no, I am not in any way defending Macc's record as a GM).

I do agree that I am optimistic about Douglas, although I will admit I am a bit puzzled by his approach to free agency so far.

14 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Just a bit outside...

Crowder is not toast.  He's a very good slot WR who is paid a bit more than his market value might be, but on this team with lots of cap and not so much talent, that's not a burning problem.  

And yes, while Macc's draft history is horrible, your blanket statement is a bit hyperbolic.

Bless Austin, Folo Fatukasi, Marcus Maye (who I thought was an idiotic pick at the time) are all fine.  Herndon might even turn it around as well.  None of them are 'in trouble'.  Now 3, possibly 4 good players over 4 years of drafting is putrid but if you factor in the picks we got back for Maye and Sam, it moves up slightly from from 'all-time putrid' to 'all-time really, really awful'.  So there's that :) (an no, I am not in any way defending Macc's record as a GM).

I do agree that I am optimistic about Douglas, although I will admit I am a bit puzzled by his approach to free agency so far.

I meant crowder is not in this teams plans and will not be resigned when his contract is up.  I think he is here for this upcoming season then hes gone.

marcus maye is another guy that is not in the long term plans.  I expect this to be his last season with us and alos will not be here after this year.

2 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I meant crowder is not in this teams plans and will not be resigned when his contract is up.  I think he is here for this upcoming season then hes gone.

marcus maye is another guy that is not in the long term plans.  I expect this to be his last season with us and alos will not be here after this year.

Agree on Crowder although I think it depends on how things work out this year.  Slot Receiver doesn't *have* to be a need if he can reliably put up 800 yards and 6 TDs assuming the rest of the offense picks up some slack.

Not sure I agree on Maye.  I could easily see him getting another contract here.  Consider that we are really, really thin at Safety.  No idea what Joyner will bring and if Davis will develop.  Until we know that, we can't really afford to let Maye walk.

Again, this is not a team that has to worry about paying a very good player very good+ money.  When we are more loaded with talent or more pressed for cap space, it would warrant a different approach, but for now, these are starters.  We need starters.

14 hours ago, GreenFish said:

I like the Vinny Curry signing. But be honest he's a rotational player who'll play 40% of the snaps and rush exclusively from the interior but will play the edge on early downs. Curry shouldn't stop us from signing or drafting another edge rusher.

4 hours ago, kmnj said:

complete utter nonsense-he did not intentionally tank the season and if you want to say he did he failed at that because  we are not getting trevor. If the plan was a tank he would have thrown guys like Morgan out there 

The decision to not to play Morgan has was made by the HC, Adam Gase. The GM does not decide who starts. Especially last year when the structure was the HC and GM were on equal footing with both reporting to CJ.