Jump to content

Cecil Lammey "League sources tell me #Jets turned down #49ers first-round pick for Sam Darnold earlier this offseason."


Jetsbb
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, football guy said:

The Jets did turn down a 49ers offer after Matthew Stafford/Carson Wentz were dealt, but I don't believe it was for their 1st round pick straight up. I think 12 for 23 was discussed, and I know the 49ers were willing to trade 43 this year. Jets weren't ready and wanted to go through the process (which in hindsight sucks ass, but I do understand why they didn't pounce on it). 

This seems far more likely to me -- that the 9ers offered something akin to a pick swap involving the 12th overall pick. I cannot fathom the 9ers offered 12 overall for Darnold or that JD wouldn't instantly take it.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

I will never forgive Joe Douglas for this incompetence. Even if you were worried about Zach's shoulder Justin Fields and a first for Darnold is not something he should have turned down. He stupidly thought the offer would still stand months later.

I REALLY hope this is just in good fun and NOT stupidity on your part.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, UntouchableCrew said:

This seems far more likely to me -- that the 9ers offered something akin to a pick swap involving the 12th overall pick. I cannot fathom the 9ers offered 12 overall for Darnold or that JD wouldn't instantly take it.

It probably wasn’t a first but they probably offered a 2nd this year 

 

They crazy trade up they did to supposedly get Mac Jones reeks of desperation move after JD said no

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

This seems far more likely to me -- that the 9ers offered something akin to a pick swap involving the 12th overall pick. I cannot fathom the 9ers offered 12 overall for Darnold or that JD wouldn't instantly take it.

I know for sure they offered 43. I'm sure they dangled that as an option as well. Ultimately Jets wouldn't negotiate. 

And I agree- I think Joe would've absolutely bit if they offered #12 straight up

  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, football guy said:

I know for sure they offered 43. I'm sure they dangled that as an option as well. Ultimately Jets wouldn't negotiate. 

And I agree- I think Joe would've absolutely bit if they offered #12 straight up

There is another huge negative to Douglas's overly cautious inane decision. The Dolphins would not have been able to trade down with another team with such huge value. They contacted the Panthers before the trade and they weren't willing to give up that much. Douglas really hurt us here in more than one way.

  • Thumb Down 2
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Wait, so JD thinks Zach Wilson’s shoulder will be good to go in the nfl based on him throwing in shorts and a t-shirt indoors?!?🤮

 

3 minutes ago, Gramsci said:

What's with he homoerotic obsession over Wilson's shorts? 

I don't know, you tell me. I think Phil's point was just about the pro day being nothing more than a glorified workout. You're the one who brought up homoeroticism.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Neilos said:

So let me see if ive got this right. They offered a 1st and we rejected until we're sure about Wilson. But then SF trade up with multiple 1s on the same day they're all at BYU? 

Seems likely to me! 🤪

Exactly, without asking JD if he might want to reconsider? This is just plain stupidity.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, football guy said:

The Jets did turn down a 49ers offer after Matthew Stafford/Carson Wentz were dealt, but I don't believe it was for their 1st round pick straight up. I think 12 for 23 was discussed, and I know the 49ers were willing to trade 43 this year. Jets weren't ready and wanted to go through the process (which in hindsight sucks ass, but I do understand why they didn't pounce on it). 

 

Having 2, 12, 34 and 43 would be pretty damn nice right now though.

I know you're not saying anything like that was offered or that 43 would be included in a package that also included a 1st round pick swap, but that would be a dream lineup of picks this year.

 

Confused Robert Downey Jr GIF

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Spoot-Face said:

 

I don't know, you tell me. I think Phil's point was just about the pro day being nothing more than a glorified workout. You're the one who brought up homoeroticism.

Well, when pretty much every post about his pro day is accompanied by a mention of him wearing shorts, it makes me wonder if there isn't a Freudian analysis to be made. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I heard the 49ers were trading a mint condition '82 Firebird to the Jets for a Fidget Spinner, but didn't realize that the Jets front office referred to Darnold as "Fidget Spinner" then when they found out, the 49ers killed the deal and just bought a fidget spinner for 49 cents at a convenience store. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does anyone really believe that if Douglas was willing to consider a trade of Sam Darnold, the 12th overall pick wouldn't have gotten it done immediately?

Even if Wilson's arm didn't check out... You add Alex Smith, and you have 2, 12, 23, and two firsts next year.

  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Does anyone really believe that if Douglas was willing to consider a trade of Sam Darnold, the 12th overall pick wouldn't have gotten it done immediately?

Even if Wilson's arm didn't check out... You add Alex Smith, and you have 2, 12, 23, and two firsts next year.

JD put together the worst pass blocking oline last year...  and actually spent decent money doing so.

He's not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed.

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Gramsci said:

Well, when pretty much every post about his pro day is accompanied by a mention of him wearing shorts, it makes me wonder if there isn't a Freudian analysis to be made. 

I think it's because there's a difference between moving around while wearing shorts and a T-shirt versus moving around in full pads.

But, yes, generally, Freud would have a field day with JetNation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I could see San Fran offering their second this year for Sam. While it sucks we didn't take it, I totally appreciate JD covering all bases as far as building a consensus on whom to draft, seeing them up close at pro-days and verifying their medicals. These are prudent things a GM should do, especially in a COVID environment where interaction with prospects has been limited.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...