Trevor Lawrence’s commitment to football being questioned

7 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Lawrence didn’t even say what they are saying lol.

And Fields is getting pent up as some sort of victim here because he may drop to the late first. Key word- may. I get it they need controversy but this is weak as hell. Riddick likes to stir the pot. His takes are generally bad.

No, but his dad did.  I don't know about you, but my dad has a pretty good idea, damn near flawless actually, knowledge of what makes me tick.  Still as I'm in my 30s.  Even more so when I was in my early 20s 

• Post of the Week 1

The double standards around here are  disgusting, when ESPN wer clamoring for the NYJ to keep the worst starting QB many people would post their content as the gospel. Now conveniently you see the same posters criticizing ESPN.

LMAO 

anyways... I thank GoD that the NYJ didn’t land on the 1st pick.

I posted the day we fell out of the first slot that this would be “a blessing in disguise” because of how Jacksonville handled the tank.

Trevor won’t be this “generational QB” he isn’t built, just look at how he was coddled in the sidelines while Justin was lighting his team up(the kid looked like he was ready to cry imo). These comments only confirm my beliefs:

His father says, “He’s not award-driven. He’s not, ‘I want to win a Super Bowl at all costs.’ ” Trevor’s coach at Cartersville High, Joey King, says, “There is no doubt about it: With who he is as a person, he could walk away from it tomorrow and be fine.” Others who know Lawrence well agree. “

^^^
YOU CANT TELL ME THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT ALARMING

• Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Lawrence didn’t even say what they are saying lol.

And Fields is getting pent up as some sort of victim here because he may drop to the late first. Key word- may. I get it they need controversy but this is weak as hell. Riddick likes to stir the pot. His takes are generally bad.

With Fields, I wonder how he'd be viewed if he weren't an Ohio State QB.

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

So we’re using a quote that he didn’t even say as a reason to turn this into a what if Justin Fields said what Trevor Lawrence’s Dad said?

good grief

His father says, “He’s not award-driven. He’s not, ‘I want to win a Super Bowl at all costs.’ ” Trevor’s coach at Cartersville High, Joey King, says, “There is no doubt about it: With who he is as a person, he could walk away from it tomorrow and be fine.” Others who know Lawrence well agree. “

so you find nothing wrong with this?

LMFAOOOO

the Lawrence kool-aid is stonggggggggggggggggggg 

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

He’s a first round lock. I don’t get what the big deal is. Because that dingus Orlovsky relayed info?

I'm just speaking in general.

I think with enough time to overanalyze, guys aren't going to want to put their career on the line for fear of the hindsight analysis that is, "He's another OSU QB" if he doesn't pan out.

Absolutely not shedding a tear for this dude, but the post-hoc fall can be speculated about, no?

25 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Did Trevor Lawrence say he doesn’t want to win at all costs?

I mean 

Everybody in the family says that off the football field, Marissa, who played soccer at Division II Anderson University, is more competitive than he is. His father says, “He’s not award-driven. He’s not, ‘I want to win a Super Bowl at all costs.’”

If the Jaguars take Wilson for some reason, I would sprint to the podium to take Lawrence, but after Andrew Luck I don’t know that we can just brush this off

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, TeddEY said:

I'm just speaking in general.

I think with enough time to overanalyze, guys aren't going to want to put their career on the line for fear of the hindsight analysis that is, "He's another OSU QB" if he doesn't pan out.

Absolutely not shedding a tear for this dude, but the post-hoc fall can be speculated about, no?

I don’t think he’s even falling. He’s probably going top 10 at worst. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, dbatesman said:

I mean 

If the Jaguars take Wilson for some reason, I would sprint to the podium to take Lawrence, but after Andrew Luck I don’t know that we can just brush this off

The Jaguars are one thousand percent taking Lawrence. Urban wasn’t going to the league to coach a guy who’s not in on winning.

All Lawrence has ever done is win.

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

When someone is upset that the black kid couldn't get away with doing/saying what the white kid does/says, they're making a white privilege complaint.

But I think you knew that.

Antiquated thinkers like you = LOL

This isn’t you’re grandma’s America where clear double standards are just swept up under the rug ?‍♂️

• WTF? 1

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I don’t think he’s even falling. He’s probably going top 10 at worst. 

A few months ago, it was Lawrence/Fields 1 and 2.  After OSU/Clemson, there was talk of him overtaking Lawrence.  Now, you have (at least assumed to be) the 49ers trading up for Mac Pennington, and Fields is looking like at best, QB4.

Maybe it's been narrative all along, but this seems like a meaningful shift to me.

• Upvote 1

It suggests an interesting debate.

Do you prefer the rabid player who has spittle flying out of their mouths every moment they are on the field, or the cool, assassin type that knows how good they are and doesn't need to put it on display.

This is a little different though.  TL apparently has perspective that doesn't put football above all else, and since he just got married, I can't kill him for that, although as a fan, I do understand why it might be slightly disappointing.  I think it's an admirable trait in any player who isn't on the team I root for.  

Our guys?  I want some of this:

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

When someone is upset that the black kid couldn't get away with doing/saying what the white kid does/says, they're making a white privilege complaint.

But I think you knew that.

Who is upset?  I'm certainly not.  I think it's an interesting discussion.  People can still have a viewpoint without being upset about something.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, TeddEY said:

A few months ago, it was Lawrence/Fields 1 and 2.  After OSU/Clemson, there was talk of him overtaking Lawrence.  Now, you have (at least assumed to be) the 49ers trading up for Mac Pennington, and Fields is looking like at best, QB4.

Maybe it's been narrative all along, but this seems like a meaningful shift to me.

Seems like regular draft shifts as more work is done. Lawerence has been the stone cold lock for 3 seasons.

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Seems like regular draft shifts as more work is done. Lawerence has been the stone cold lock for 3 seasons.

Which begs the question of why Lawrence is impervious to anything.  I mean, there are some real red flags there too.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

It suggests an interesting debate.

Do you prefer the rabid player who has spittle flying out of their mouths every moment they are on the field, or the cool, assassin type that knows how good they are and doesn't need to put it on display.

This is a little different though.  TL apparently has perspective that doesn't put football above all else, and since he just got married, I can't kill him for that, although as a fan, I do understand why it might be slightly disappointing.  I think it's an admirable trait in any player who isn't on the team I root for.  

Our guys?  I want some of this:

It’s easy being a laidback surfer bruh when you’re the biggest, strongest, fastest and play with the best. 

Different situation than leading a failing franchise against the worlds best. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Which begs the question of why Lawrence is impervious to anything.  I mean, there are some real red flags there too.

Fair enough. I’m a casual Clemson fan so I’ve watched him a lot. He’s as good as I’ve ever seen coming out of college.

Just now, TeddEY said:

This is the intriguing part to me.  Over the course of the past 3 years, there certainly have been stretches or flaws that should at least make people pump the breaks on "generational" talent stuff, but hardly anyone has done that.  

Is it because he's white?  I don't know about all that.  I think it's probably more that people don't want to change their tune and potentially have to walk back their previous "all in" sentiments.

5 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

It’s easy being a laidback surfer bruh when you’re the biggest, strongest, fastest and play with the best. 

Different situation than leading a failing franchise against the worlds best. 

With Troy Polamalu out of the game, TL can bask in the knowledge that he has the best hair in the league.  

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

so you find nothing wrong with this?

LMFAOOOO

the Lawrence kool-aid is stonggggggggggggggggggg 

I could picture Andrew Luck saying that in college because he did walk away from the NFL instead of continuing to play and face a lifetime of health problems from injuries. I don't think any of the comments by or about Lawrence are different. 

I also think you can fairly read those comments as trying to make him sound humble or implying that his employer had better surround him with the tools to succeed or he might walk away from injuries like Luck. You could also fairly read them as trying to deflate expectations that he is the next HOF QB. 

I just wouldn't agonize over a few comments to the media.