Trevor Lawrence’s commitment to football being questioned

29 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The Jaguars are one thousand percent taking Lawrence. Urban wasn’t going to the league to coach a guy who’s not in on winning.

All Lawrence has ever done is win.

In order: I'm sure they are, I'm sure he is, and no question. But you could say all of these things about Andrew Luck in 2012. I think Lawrence will almost certainly end up being good and probably end up being great, but some of these quotes would make me a bit nervous if I were a Jags fan

6 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Fair enough. I’m a casual Clemson fan so I’ve watched him a lot. He’s as good as I’ve ever seen coming out of college.

I don't watch enough college ball to have a meaningful opinion, but from what little I've seen/read, I wonder about competition, how much of his performance is based on huge YAC vs. throwing downfield, how at 6'6, 220 is not that sturdy, and some of the passion for the game stuff.

17 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Antiquated thinkers like you = LOL

This isn’t you’re grandma’s America where clear double standards are just swept up under the rug ?‍♂️

What an odd reply.

I'm hard pressed to understand how pointing out that the argument is a white privilege complaint is also concurrently "sweeping it under the rug".

"Antiquated" thinking would be denying that race plays a part in sports media coverage variances.  

• Upvote 4

• Justin Fields is not falling like Lamar Jackson did, if for no other reason than people saw what happened when Lamar Jackson fell.
  • For people concerned about Zach Wilson's build, why wouldn't you be concerned about Trevor Lawrence's build?
  • Someone will find a way to design an offense around Justin Fields.  You can say that is not a Shanahan offense, but look where the 49ers traded to, and what Mike Shanahan did with RG III, at least until he got hurt.  
  • JD is damned if he does, damned if he does not, because regardless of who he picks, for a variety of reasons (roster, senior coaching, Jets curse) the QB the 49ers draft will look better over the next 4 years than the QB the Jets draft.
  • I would ultimately feel better if the Jets picked Fields.  I don't know why, but I would.  
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

I could picture Andrew Luck saying that in college because he did walk away from the NFL instead of continuing to play and face a lifetime of health problems from injuries. I don't think any of the comments by or about Lawrence are different. 

I also think you can fairly read those comments as trying to make him sound humble or implying that his employer had better surround him with the tools to succeed or he might walk away from injuries like Luck. You could also fairly read them as trying to deflate expectations that he is the next HOF QB. 

I just wouldn't agonize over a few comments to the media. 

A franchise player in any professional sport needs to be fully committed and love his craft period.

Idk why the goal post is shifted for Trevor Lawrence, if this was another player they would be getting crucified right now.

Hell I remember James  Wiseman said he didn’t watch NBA games and people killed him, I’m sick of the double standards in sports it’s disgusting 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

This is the intriguing part to me.  Over the course of the past 3 years, there certainly have been stretches or flaws that should at least make people pump the breaks on "generational" talent stuff, but hardly anyone has done that.  

Is it because he's white?  I don't know about all that.  I think it's probably more that people don't want to change their tune and potentially have to walk back their previous "all in" sentiments.

I don't think Lawrence is overrated because he's white.  I think that's something that really only works in the other direction, and even that, while of course still a thing, I don't think is as big a consideration anymore, considering that most of the best young QBs in this league are black.

I think you're right.  They sculpted the golden calf and they're not going to question it.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Who is upset?  I'm certainly not.  I think it's an interesting discussion.  People can still have a viewpoint without being upset about something.  

Replace "upset", with "concerned enough to post a complaint about it" or "mildly interested enough to raise the issue" or whatever your preference is. 

It doesn't change the nature of the concern/complaint/stated issue/viewpoint, which is that player one (black) couldn't get away with what player two (white) could.  

And yes, from that perspective, it is an interesting discussion to be had.  I agree.

2 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

So for those questioning my motives, here is why I think those comments and just the general tone of the article are at least a tad bit concerning if I were a Jags fan etc 

I've shared this before but I played baseball in the Big 10 for a brief period.  I'm only sharing again to draw a comparison.  I was not good, our team was crappy and I quit essentially after a season. 

I share that though that because I absolutely loved baseball.  Eat, breathed, slept it.  I still love it.  I absolutely would rather have played baseball than done just about anything as a kid, early adult.  

However, when I got to college and was no longer the stud(and quite honestly was way over my skies) and on a team that was absolutely terrible, that starts weighing on you very quickly.  Then I got hurt, had to rehab like crazy, and all the sudden this game I loved was crushing me emotionally.  I didn't have the desire to go through this very pain staking rehab, which even if it went well would have diminished my skill even further.  So then I start questioning do I really want to go through all this only to be worse than I already was?  And back to a team that likely is not going to be competitive?  It's not that I didn't love baseball any less, but the process of getting ready for baseball really got old quick.

So in short, no I'm not comparing myself to trevor lawrence.  My college career would be equivalent to some backup LB at Wake Forest who played sparingly on one ST then quit.

However, the reason these comments from him and about him raise a very small red flag about him(to me) is that it's very easy to have the mindset of "I don't have anything to prove" or "I love all this" when things are going great and you are running roughshod over everyone.  But when things go sideways, those interests in life that are more important 8n football start to be a lot more appealing and all of the sudden they start getting more attention then your craft as an athlete does.

Great post

imo once I read that his girlfriend is more competitive that told me all I need to know about Lawrence 

11 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

A franchise player in any professional sport needs to be fully committed and love his craft period.

Idk why the goal post is shifted for Trevor Lawrence, if this was another player they would be getting crucified right now.

Hell I remember James  Wiseman said he didn’t watch NBA games and people killed him, I’m sick of the double standards in sports it’s disgusting 

https://www.nj.com/jets/2012/07/curtis_martin_never_liked_foot.html

3 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

A running back making these comments after he’s retired and gold jacket’ed VS a rookie QB, going 1st overall, to lead a franchise

Which one is more alarming? 

2 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

A running back making these comments after he’s retired and gold jacket’ed VS a rookie QB, going 1st overall, to lead a franchise

Which one is more alarming? 

He felt that way before he was drafted, at any rate not every QB has the love and commitment you want..

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Another near non factor re QB evaluation.

The fact that he wore skinny pants and no socks to his own wedding is much more of a concern.

Agreed, who the heck dressed him

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Honestly, if I knew I was going to have to live in Jacksonville for the next five years, it’d make me question my commitment to both football and being alive.

Worse yet, there is still the specter of them playing more home games in London. 

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Lawrence is starting to give me the vibes of someone who retires at 27 to the mountains of Asheville, NC and never be bothered by anyone ever again.

But yes, I posted the same about Fields yesterday regarding these quotes.  Lots of people are giving Lawrence a pass for this though.  Far less than are calling him out for it.  

Goes both ways. I remember seeing Sam celebrated a few years ago for being 'unflappable' and 'even keeled' and then crucified this year for 'just not having the killer instinct.'

I'm now seeing Wilson criticized for being a 'baker mayfield' style personality with will either thrive or fall apart under NY media scrutiny...

And I guess Lawrence now gets his ambition questioned - when all Ive ever heard of is, 'doesn't feel pressure, different kind of kid, etc.' celebrating this. 

Basically, people see what they want.

• Upvote 3

Shannon Sharpe a HOF TE and media figure who has been around these guys says: “I’ve never been around a great with this attitude” - in reference to Lawrence comments 

so everyone saying this is nothing here is a ex player telling you it is something 

2 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Lawrence is starting to give me the vibes of someone who retires at 27 to the mountains of Asheville, NC and never be bothered by anyone ever again.

But yes, I posted the same about Fields yesterday regarding these quotes.  Lots of people are giving Lawrence a pass for this though.  Far less than are calling him out for it.  

nothing wrong with that. i live in asheville and its awesome lol

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

when u combine his quotes + his fathers quotes + his wifes quotes....and now put all that into a say 2-7 jaguars team in november for a kid who hasnt lost more then a game or two since little league prob....if i was a jags fan...id be scared to take him.

• Upvote 1