Trevor Lawrence’s commitment to football being questioned

4 hours ago, Matt39 said:

I just read the article. He didn’t say that at all lol. This is ESPN being ESPN.

It was his father...

His father says, “He’s not award-driven. He’s not, ‘I want to win a Super Bowl at all costs.’ ” Trevor’s coach at Cartersville High, Joey King, says, “There is no doubt about it: With who he is as a person, he could walk away from it tomorrow and be fine.” Others who know Lawrence well agree. This would make for an unusual Nike campaign: Who Needs This, Anyway? It is probably not what a lot of NFL fans want to hear. 

4 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I love the pre-draft process where a kid that fought to play through a pandemic when he was already the #1 pick, while other top players sat out the year, is being questioned for his commitment to football. 

He not only fought to play through a pandemic, never mind the fact he returned to the playing field after missing two games with a positive test, but if you remember he was the most vocal player of any last August demanding the NCAA and ACC play the 2020 season.

5 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Im not getting the "imagine if justin fields" said this take?  

Can someone explain what that means?

Watch the video at the link I provided.  You'll hear Louis Riddick's take.  He was piggybacking off some rumors and things that guys like Dan Orlovsky have reported that there are questions about Fields' work ethic and commitment.  If something like these quotes came out about Fields I think Riddick is intimating that Fields draft position would suffer because of it.  Maybe Fields gets taken 9th instead of 3rd or something.  His point is fairly simple... there will be no repercussions for Lawrence, he's going #1, maybe even if he came out and said, "I hate football, but it's a job."  (I made that quote up.)

A lot of replies here without people having the context of what was said in the video.

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, TeddEY said:

I don't watch enough college ball to have a meaningful opinion, but from what little I've seen/read, I wonder about competition, how much of his performance is based on huge YAC vs. throwing downfield, how at 6'6, 220 is not that sturdy, and some of the passion for the game stuff.

Don't worry, the Jets are in good shape here.  Our QB will be MUCH shorter.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Another near non factor re QB evaluation.

The fact that he wore skinny pants and no socks to his own wedding is much more of a concern.

How many top tier qbs were married before they were drafted?  This is a huge red flag IMO

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Embrace the Suck said:

So he's passionate about what he does, but he doesn't harbor any passive aggressive feelings about some potentially imaginary slight... Where's the problem? I think he'll bust for other reasons, but I don't see his statement as a question of his heart being in the game. That said between TL and JF I take JF.

Trevor is going to bust because he isn’t making public statements about idiot know it all’s on the internet claiming with zero basis that Zach the injury prone twink Wilson is better than him

BE5C309E-CCDE-4B06-A33F-F9C79811C4C1.thumb.jpeg.fdc1a7ae434d17c7ad2f23be134925de.jpeg

7 hours ago, oatmeal said:

The double standards around here are  disgusting, when ESPN wer clamoring for the NYJ to keep the worst starting QB many people would post their content as the gospel. Now conveniently you see the same posters criticizing ESPN.

LMAO 

anyways... I thank GoD that the NYJ didn’t land on the 1st pick.

I posted the day we fell out of the first slot that this would be “a blessing in disguise” because of how Jacksonville handled the tank.

Trevor won’t be this “generational QB” he isn’t built, just look at how he was coddled in the sidelines while Justin was lighting his team up(the kid looked like he was ready to cry imo). These comments only confirm my beliefs:

His father says, “He’s not award-driven. He’s not, ‘I want to win a Super Bowl at all costs.’ ” Trevor’s coach at Cartersville High, Joey King, says, “There is no doubt about it: With who he is as a person, he could walk away from it tomorrow and be fine.” Others who know Lawrence well agree. “

^^^
YOU CANT TELL ME THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT ALARMING

Especially after Luck walked away a few years ago. This is an issue. What agent in their right mind would allow him or his dad to make any comments that may question his love for the game or desire to play long term? I think this may be a ploy to get Jacksonville to pass on him. 

• Post of the Week 1

7 hours ago, TeddEY said:

A few months ago, it was Lawrence/Fields 1 and 2.  After OSU/Clemson, there was talk of him overtaking Lawrence.  Now, you have (at least assumed to be) the 49ers trading up for Mac Pennington, and Fields is looking like at best, QB4.

Maybe it's been narrative all along, but this seems like a meaningful shift to me.

Fields has mechanical issues and played in a mainly 1 read offense. That's why he's slipping after scouts have been able to dig more into the tape.

• Post of the Week 1

7 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

If Zach Wilson had the same stuff come out about him, hed be getting crushed more then lawrence and just as much, if not more then justin fields.

People questioned Wilson's love for the game bc his Uncle owns Fed Ex yet Lawrence, his dad and HS Coach make these comments and those same people are saying it's no big deal.  #Hypocrites

• Post of the Week 1

7 hours ago, TeddEY said:

I don't watch enough college ball to have a meaningful opinion, but from what little I've seen/read, I wonder about competition, how much of his performance is based on huge YAC vs. throwing downfield, how at 6'6, 220 is not that sturdy, and some of the passion for the game stuff.

6'6" 213 lbs

11 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Especially after Luck walked away a few years ago. This is an issue. What agent in their right mind would allow him or his dad to make any comments that may question his love for the game or desire to play long term? I think this may be a ploy to get Jacksonville to pass on him. 

So he can go to the Jets? :-)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Trevor is going to bust because he isn’t making public statements about idiot know it all’s on the internet claiming with zero basis that Zach the injury prone twink Wilson is better than him

BE5C309E-CCDE-4B06-A33F-F9C79811C4C1.thumb.jpeg.fdc1a7ae434d17c7ad2f23be134925de.jpeg

You have an unhealthy infatuation with twinks

3 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Say what you want but his dad saying trevor could drop football tomorrow and it would not bother him is a scary statement.

Its not what you want to hear about the qb you are about to draft.

People can minimize this all they want but it has a Andrew Luck vibe to it.

If Andrew luck hadn’t been beat to a pulp he’d still be playing

i am a little bothered by him getting married now. he had to know when he made the wedding plans that March and April were going to be busy months before the draft. he couldnt wait 2 weeks? 

i mean for someone who is suppose to eat and sleep football he could have waited. whats 2 weeks. if that was me i would want to be at all the events.

13 hours ago, TeddEY said:

Which begs the question of why Lawrence is impervious to anything.  I mean, there are some real red flags there too.

I dont get it, since last season . Dont see this generational tag and glad we werent going to he in a position to draft him until Wilson rose

23 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Folks been questioning Zach’s motivation because his family is filthy rich, he’s an entitled brat, doesn’t need football, will walk away at the first hard hit. 

This is a delicious turn of the coin. 

Same was said about Josh Rosen and he stuck around to play for like, 4 or 5 teams in his career.