If Justin Fields drops...

I think we’re in a great position to land a promising young quarterback. And while it seems like that guy is going to be Zach Wilson, I’d be fine with Justin Fields as well.

That being said, it’s possible he drops outside the top 5 if we don’t take him, and maybe even out of the top 10. What’s the reason? Why are teams passing up on him? What aren’t they seeing or what are they seeing that could be some red flags? I don’t want to make this an emotional thread in which people want to defend their guy, but speaking as someone who likes the way Fields plays, making big throws and standing tough in the pocket, what’s the issue? 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Justin Fields is not going to drop out of the top 5. I'm confident that SF will draft him. If not, someone will immediately below them. All the nonsense you're hearing is being generated by the chuckleheads in the media and on Twitter. NFL Teams are well aware of how good he is.

50 minutes ago, QB1 said:

Trey Lance is going to SF

3 1s for a guy who sat out last year and has 288 career attempts is aggressive.

• Upvote 1

Its amazing back in November of last year everyone was hyping both Lawrence and Fields as the best QBs coming out of college. Trey Lance, Zack Wilson and Mac Jones were an after thought after that month. Then in January for the playoffs Fields surpassed Lawrence and beat Clemson. Leading to Fields to face Mac Jones in the championship and Jones blew out Ohio State and Fields out of the water.

Look at the things now Fields has been dropping from #2 to #5!!! Main issue that has everyone talking about is his work issue that's one of the main things that is bothering people and his ability to read defenses. 

Lets see which team will select him and where?

50 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

If fields drops to 23 after we reach for an overrated twink at 2 this is officially the next generation of jet ineptitude 

This is going to be a long 5 years for you.

14 minutes ago, AL047 said:

Its amazing back in November of last year everyone was hyping both Lawrence and Fields as the best QBs coming out of college. Trey Lance, Zack Wilson and Mac Jones were an after thought after that month. Then in January for the playoffs Fields surpassed Lawrence and beat Clemson. Leading to Fields to face Mac Jones in the championship and Jones blew out Ohio State and Fields out of the water.

Look at the things now Fields has been dropping from #2 to #5!!! Main issue that has everyone talking about is his work issue that's one of the main things that is bothering people and his ability to read defenses. 

Lets see which team will select him and where?

A lot of what you say is true. It's remarkable how Fields is seen as QB5 in some of the analysts QB rankings, when you consider his standing (QB1A?) after the Clemson game. He is the same player now as he was in January, but the perception around him is somehow different?

All I would say, is we are largely basing the perceived current QB standings based on the media narrative around individual players. When teams may have a very different evaluation, based not on what has happened in January-April, but September- January. 

The reality is the majority of NFL analysts  have only really paid attention to the draft, since the Superbowl was over. They didn't watch college games in October or November. Stephen A Smith literally said the other day he has never watched Zach Wilson play, but he'll talk about him for a segment, purely based on other people's perceptions and six minutes of YouTube. 

There are a couple of guys worth listening to, Jeremiah I like, but most of the media hype is for effect. Unless a guy bombs his interviews, which happens, teams for the most part made up their minds on certain guys back in January. 

But the media's risers and fallers is fun and it's all part of the drama. 

Just now, K_O_Brien said:

A lot of what you say is true. It's remarkable how Fields is seen as QB5 in some of the analysts QB rankings, when you consider his standing (QB1B?) after the Clemson game. He is the same player now as he was in January, but the perception around him is somehow different?

All I would say, is we are largely basing the perceived current QB standings based on the media narrative around individual players. When teams may have a very different evaluation, based not on what has happened in January-April, but September- January. 

The reality is the majority of NFL analysts  have only really paid attention to the draft, since the Superbowl was over. They didn't watch college games in October or November. Stephen A Smith literally said the other day he has never watched Zach Wilson play, but he'll talk about him for a segment, purely based on other people's perceptions and six minutes of YouTube. 

There are a couple of guys worth listening to, Jeremiah I like, but most of the media hype is for effect. Unless a guy bombs his interviews, which happens, teams for the most part made up their minds on certain guys back in January. 

But the media's risers and fallers is fun and it's all part of the drama. 

2 hours ago, K_O_Brien said:

It is interesting that before the big trade went down, the only QB they watched throw at their pro day, was Lance. 

They were at Mac Jones pro day and then pulled the trigger on the deal a couple of days later

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Wilson can be ballboy while he’s on IR while Fields plays wildcat qb

If we draft him will you please go away in anger? 

Asking for a horde of friends

• Haha 2
3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

They were at Matt Jones pro day and then pulled the trigger on the deal a couple of days later

You are right. I thought Jones' first pro day was on the 30th, but that was his second. 

Mind you, I thought Jones' first pro day showing was disappointing, so not sure what they would have seen there that would have enticed them to pull the trigger? 

I have no clue what the 49ers are doing to be honest. Like why they went from offering a pick for Darnold, to then offering three firsts to Miami without seeing Fields' throw. 

If you were to join the dots in terms of a timeline, the only move that makes sense is Lance. 

• Upvote 1
31 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

You are right. I thought Jones' first pro day was on the 30th, but that was his second. 

Mind you, I thought Jones' first pro day showing was disappointing, so not sure what they would have seen there that would have enticed them to pull the trigger? 

I have no clue what the 49ers are doing to be honest. Like why they went from offering a pick for Darnold, to then offering three firsts to Miami without seeing Fields' throw. 

If you were to join the dots in terms of a timeline, the only move that makes sense is Lance. 

I have a brother in law who’s a big Niners fan. He’s nervous that SF might draft Jones. It would be a terrible reach. While he prefers Wilson, he would be happy with Fields instead.

5 minutes ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

I have a brother in law who’s a big Niners fan. He’s nervous that SF might draft Jones. It would be a terrible reach. While he prefers Wilson, he would be happy with Fields instead.

That will be like drafting Hackensburg

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Because he doesn't think Robert De Niro is a good actor.  People who think like that simply can't be trusted.

I feel like this is in reference to something I missed. If it is not, it is even better. I love wild outta nowhere posts. 

• Haha 1

The knock on Fields was that he is a one read QB, can't read a D, is Revis Slouch Lite when it comes to prep, and his short to mid range accuracy is doo doo ka ka. At least, from all the "professional" breakdowns I am reading.