If Justin Fields drops...

4 hours ago, Tranquilo said:

I think we’re in a great position to land a promising young quarterback. And while it seems like that guy is going to be Zach Wilson, I’d be fine with Justin Fields as well.

That being said, it’s possible he drops outside the top 5 if we don’t take him, and maybe even out of the top 10. What’s the reason? Why are teams passing up on him? What aren’t they seeing or what are they seeing that could be some red flags? I don’t want to make this an emotional thread in which people want to defend their guy, but speaking as someone who likes the way Fields plays, making big throws and standing tough in the pocket, what’s the issue? 

Until the draft concludes, and this whole thing plays out for a year or two, we probably won’t know. I still don’t know if we are truly understand why Aaron Rodgers went from being in the first pick conversation to almost falling out of the 1st rnd. Same goes for the other way around. Christian ponder was easily one of the most athletically limited, weakest armed, lowest ceiling quarterbacks. He was a game manager you could spot from space... Yet somehow he went in the first round despite everybody knowing better

its a totally whack science. 

• Upvote 2

On 4/16/2021 at 2:52 AM, pointman said:

The knock on Fields was that he is a one read QB, can't read a D, is Revis Slouch Lite when it comes to prep, and his short to mid range accuracy is doo doo ka ka. At least, from all the "professional" breakdowns I am reading. 

The knock on fields is the previous 30 QBs in a row from Ohio State have all busted hard in the NFL.  He seems to be a difficult guy to get along with which is why he left Georgia and he’s probably not doing great in interviews.  The Clemson game that is supposed to be evidence that he’s better than Tom Brady the entire tape is of Trey Sermon dominating and the defense selling out to stop him.  Chris Simms seems to hate Wilson and a lot of his criticisms are valid

That said if we do go qb at 2 (ugh) he should be the pick over Wilson

• Upvote 1

On 4/15/2021 at 8:59 PM, playtowinthegame said:

That's a HUGE red flag for me. Only thing more questionable would be saying Pete Davidson of SNL is funny.

I saw Pete Davidson open for Dave Chapelle once. He's funny and a next generation of comic genius along with Eric Andre but you have to enjoy bomb comedy or Andy Hoffman type making the audience the butt of the joke. It's like meta or something 

Also, Zach wilson is a pure media creation. Fields is a potential Rookie of the year type, instant impact being underrated by khaki wearing fart sniffers. Fields is going to win games, this year. Wilson will be lucky to survive. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

The knock on fields is the previous 30 QBs in a row from Ohio State have all busted hard in the NFL.  He seems to be a difficult guy to get along with which is why he left Georgia and he’s probably not doing great in interviews.  The Clemson game that is supposed to be evidence that he’s better than Tom Brady the entire tape is of Trey Sermon dominating and the defense selling out to stop him.  Chris Simms seems to hate Wilson and a lot of his criticisms are valid

I've been the biggest Sewell slater guy around but for cba reasons the OL value just is not there at 2

Prediction: 4 qbs will go top 5 then chase maybe and Sewell /Pitts / Slater goes 6-8 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Simms loves Wilson. 

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

I saw Pete Davidson open for Dave Chapelle once. He's funny and a next generation of comic genius along with Eric Andre but you have to enjoy bomb comedy or Andy Hoffman type making the audience the butt of the joke. It's like meta or something 

Also, Zach wilson is a pure media creation. Fields is a potential Rookie of the year type, instant impact being underrated by khaki wearing fart sniffers. Fields is going to win games, this year. Wilson will be lucky to survive. 

Agree with your first paragraph. Disagree with your second. 

On 4/15/2021 at 4:03 PM, Tranquilo said:

I think we’re in a great position to land a promising young quarterback. And while it seems like that guy is going to be Zach Wilson, I’d be fine with Justin Fields as well.

That being said, it’s possible he drops outside the top 5 if we don’t take him, and maybe even out of the top 10. What’s the reason? Why are teams passing up on him? What aren’t they seeing or what are they seeing that could be some red flags? I don’t want to make this an emotional thread in which people want to defend their guy, but speaking as someone who likes the way Fields plays, making big throws and standing tough in the pocket, what’s the issue? 

From what I saw and the Nation saw with Ohio State and Bama, Fields and Jones didn't have to quickly process information and go through too many reads on progressions due to the talent of the players on their respective teams. That makes many wonder if they can handle processing and progressions consistently in the NFL especially without an all world team, which anyone picking in the top 5-10 picks do not have. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2021 at 8:52 PM, pointman said:

The knock on Fields was that he is a one read QB, can't read a D, is Revis Slouch Lite when it comes to prep, and his short to mid range accuracy is doo doo ka ka. At least, from all the "professional" breakdowns I am reading. 

He played for a very conservative Offense, TOSU always has better players until the playoff, against everyone they play and the QBs job is not to lose the game.

They run the ball, throw to their Backs, have 1 primary receiver and usually have a running QB.

In 2019 he wasn’t a one read QB, this year big ten was Covid crazy and everybody played funky offenses and the league stunk because teams only played 6 games in many cases.

Look at their lack of use of their TEs this season.They have two NFL players there in Ruckert and Farrell and they hardly threw to them, didn’t call, their numbers until the Clemson game.

Watch Fields in 2019, he threw to everybody, everywhere, last season, the stats say he still did.

On 4/15/2021 at 6:42 PM, K_O_Brien said:

A lot of what you say is true. It's remarkable how Fields is seen as QB5 in some of the analysts QB rankings, when you consider his standing (QB1A?) after the Clemson game. He is the same player now as he was in January, but the perception around him is somehow different?

All I would say, is we are largely basing the perceived current QB standings based on the media narrative around individual players. When teams may have a very different evaluation, based not on what has happened in January-April, but September- January. 

The reality is the majority of NFL analysts  have only really paid attention to the draft, since the Superbowl was over. They didn't watch college games in October or November. Stephen A Smith literally said the other day he has never watched Zach Wilson play, but he'll talk about him for a segment, purely based on other people's perceptions and six minutes of YouTube. 

There are a couple of guys worth listening to, Jeremiah I like, but most of the media hype is for effect. Unless a guy bombs his interviews, which happens, teams for the most part made up their minds on certain guys back in January. 

But the media's risers and fallers is fun and it's all part of the drama. 

There is a disconnect between draft evaluators/ draft Twitter and the NFL.

Just because draft evaluators like PFF or whoever thought Fields has been 1B with Lawrence the past  few years doesn’t mean the NFL has felt the same.

On 4/17/2021 at 11:49 AM, bitonti said:

I've been the biggest Sewell slater guy around but for cba reasons the OL value just is not there at 2

Prediction: 4 qbs will go top 5 then chase maybe and Sewell /Pitts / Slater goes 6-8 

10 out of the top 10 picks will be qbs

• Haha 1

On 4/27/2021 at 8:24 PM, RogerVick1980 said:

There is a disconnect between draft evaluators/ draft Twitter and the NFL.

Just because draft evaluators like PFF or whoever thought Fields has been 1B with Lawrence the past  few years doesn’t mean the NFL has felt the same.

Fields sliding reminds me of the buzz I heard about Geno prior to the 2013 draft 

But who knows maybe the 49ers change their mind and take him over Jones.  I like Jones a lot and think he will be significantly better than both Wilson and Fields but not enough to pick 3rd overall 

Fields sliding reminds me of the buzz I heard about Geno prior to the 2013 draft 

But who knows maybe the 49ers change their mind and take him over Jones.  I like Jones a lot and think he will be significantly better than both Wilson and Fields but not enough to pick 3rd overall 
Phil .. who do you take with 2 ? Just curious so I can laugh.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

On 4/15/2021 at 1:11 PM, BroadwayRay said:

Justin Fields is not going to drop out of the top 5. I'm confident that SF will draft him. If not, someone will immediately below them. All the nonsense you're hearing is being generated by the chuckleheads in the media and on Twitter. NFL Teams are well aware of how good he is.

There is about 0% chance that Fields is selected by SF> They are taking Jones, or possibly Lance. Fields not in the equation. Without someone trading up, Fields likely falls at least to 8. And even then Lance likely goes before him anyway.

Very real possibility he falls to NE at 15 without them needing to trade up, though someone might trade up to make sure. But 7 is realistically the earliest he goes.