NY Jets: Travis Etienne says he would ‘fit perfectly’ with Gang Green

I can’t for the life of me figure out why trey sermon isn’t the #1 back in this draft. Admittedly I don’t watch a ton of college football but I did watch all these guys at the end of the season and sermon was by far, BY FAR, the most impressive... not to mention he put up a ridiculous RAS athleticism score to back it up... 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, QB1 said:

I can’t for the life of me figure out why trey sermon isn’t the #1 back in this draft. Admittedly I don’t watch a ton of college football but I did watch all these guys at the end of the season and sermon was by far, BY FAR, the most impressive... not to mention he put up a ridiculous RAS athleticism score to back it up... 

There are some interesting guys after the top 4-5 of Etienne, Harris, Javonte Williams, Carter, Gainwell.  Guys like Sermon and Chubba Hubbard could turn out to be solid players.

• Upvote 3

I cant see this team using a 1st rounder on a RB with how talent poor they are, they have to take a premium position there IMO unless they trade back.  As much as I love Etienne, that selection could either be another corner stone on the OL, a CB 1 for this team or an edge to put opposite of Lawson.

I honestly could see them not taking a RB at all.   Coleman, Johnson, Perrine.  Maybe go sign Duke Johnson on the cheap and be done with it for a year, I dont love the backs this year, some are intriguing beyond Etienne and Harris (Gainwell, Williams, Carter) but some of the later round flier guys that I like Jefferson, Hubbard and Hill. 

9 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

Can't see us wasting a high pick on a RB, especially when they thrive in this system. This draft needs to be about OL, more OL, sprinkled in with WR, CB and EDGE.

Just now, JiF said:

I cant see this team using a 1st rounder on a RB with how talent poor they are, they have to take a premium position there IMO unless they trade back.  As much as I love Etienne, that selection could either be another corner stone on the OL, a CB 1 for this team or an edge to put opposite of Lawson.

Ninja GIF by Walk Off The Earth

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

With as many needs as the Jets have, drafting a running back early does feel like a bit of an oversight.

It should also be noted that in the 20+ years that general manager Joe Douglas has had a job in the NFL, his team has only selected a running back in the top-50 one time — that coming in 2000 (his first year as a scout) when the Baltimore Ravens selected Jamal Lewis fifth overall.

Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Nice and who’s blocking for him?

You took the words right out of my mouth (Fingers in this case). Emmit Smith was twice the running back that he should have been because of his line. No line, no RB. It really, really is that simple. There was only one Barry Sanders, the only RB (In my opinion) that did great behind an average to below average line. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

This is Dalvin Cook all over again. He’s going to be available either at 23 or 34. Whether we prioritize this RB position or not, is up to JD. 

Personally, I think the RB position is the most unappreciated position in the league. It can do wonders for the balance of play calling, it can benefit our rookie QB, and it can keep the defense rested. 

We’re also going to be one of the top teams to call play-actions. No one is really going to bite on a play-action when Perine is back there. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

You took the words right out of my mouth (Fingers in this case). Emmit Smith was twice the running back that he should have been because of his line. No line, no RB. It really, really is that simple. There was only one Barry Sanders, the only RB (In my opinion) that did great behind an average to below average line. 

That's partly true about Sanders. But the same could be said about Walter Payton and Gayle Sayers for the Bears. Until the last couple of years of his career, look who was the QB for the Bears and their line for Payton. Both backs were amazing given their surrounding cast.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

I'd add Earl Campbell to that.  It's been a long time, but man was he tough for defenders to bring down. I don't recall how good his OL might have been, though.

He paid a physical price for all the hits he took, too.

• Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

That's partly true about Sanders. But the same could be said about Walter Payton and Gayle Sayers for the Bears. Until the last couple of years of his career, look who was the QB for the Bears and their line for Payton. Both backs were amazing given their surrounding cast.

I did not think about them. I stand corrected. Just a few in history were able to do it without an awesome line.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Ghost said:

This is Dalvin Cook all over again. He’s going to be available either at 23 or 34. Whether we prioritize this RB position or not, is up to JD. 

Personally, I think the RB position is the most unappreciated position in the league. It can do wonders for the balance of play calling, it can benefit our rookie QB, and it can keep the defense rested. 

We’re also going to be one of the top teams to call play-actions. No one is really going to bite on a play-action when Perine is back there. 

I agree.

RB used to be recognized as one of the most important players on your team.  Every team needed their guy.  And very quickly we started to hear they weren't important at all anymore.....

Certainly the league has changed and they're not as valuable as they used to be but I think the pendulum has swung too far the other way.  RB's are still very important to a team - this idea that the systems means you don't need a good RB is silly.

I would have no problem taking a RB early.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

I wouldn't be shocked if no RB is taken in the 1st round. Not because there aren't really good prospects, but teams have learned that RBs are just not worth the investment and there really isn't one guy that jumps out as better than the rest. 

Najee Harris/Etienne/Sermon/Javonte Williams/Gainwell and my personal faves later in the draft Michael Carter and Kylin Hill. 

I think using our 1st pick in the 3rd round on one of these guys that falls would be the way I would  go. 

We brought in 49ers guys and the niners never used a high pick on a RB and still had multiple good RBs. 

• Upvote 1