Kalil says something I hope will further my agenda

Ah, yes the waste of 10 million comes out to poop on us.....thanks Kalil for all your input to the Jets team in 2019

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/former-jets-veteran-predicts-sam-darnold-rebound-says-new-york-didnt-give-sam-a-lot-of-room-to-grow/

"Everybody ooh'd and ahh'd about (Zach Wilson) at BYU's pro day when he rolled out left and threw across to the right," Kalil said, referring to Darnold's presumptive successor in New York. "And it's like, I've seen Sam do that a million times. It's funny, there's game tape of Sam doing that exact thing.

• Upvote 8
  • Thumb Down 8
  • Haha 1

I mean, he wasn't really shading Wilson.
He was defending Darnold and shading Gase.
...and the media and fans for the over-the-top reaction to one rehearsed throw vs. air from a scripted pro day.

Kalil is going to have USC-colored glasses on regarding Darnold regardless - Jim Miller still thinks Connor Cook was the most game-ready QB in the 2016 draft* - but he really didn't shade Wilson. All Wilson did was what he was supposed to do - practice his scripted throws and repeat them well at his pro day.

*As I write that I was thinking the 2016 draft really was a stinker for QBs, other than Dak, with where Goff and Wentz are now and really Jacoby Brisset being the next-best IIRC.
  • Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Just another article stating how horrible a decision Gase was...

"I had nothing but a positive experience with him," Kalil said of Darnold. "I saw a guy who wanted to be good and didn't take anything for granted. But I just think he was in a system that wasn't beneficial for him. ... It was a system that didn't allow a lot of individual freedom. It was very, 'You do it this way and that's it.' A lot of the scheme was pre-determined based on what they thought they were seeing from the sideline. It didn't give Sam a lot of room to grow, in my opinion, to make decisions on the fly. It worked in some instances, but it handicapped him in the long run."

Incredible how crippling this one man was to our entire franchise. 

If anything, we needed Sam Darnold to be making more decisions.  Yes, yes.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

It didn't give Sam a lot of room to grow, in my opinion, to make decisions on the fly."

when he did make decisions, he either took a bad sack or threw an interception

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Just another article stating how horrible a decision Gase was...

"I had nothing but a positive experience with him," Kalil said of Darnold. "I saw a guy who wanted to be good and didn't take anything for granted. But I just think he was in a system that wasn't beneficial for him. ... It was a system that didn't allow a lot of individual freedom. It was very, 'You do it this way and that's it.' A lot of the scheme was pre-determined based on what they thought they were seeing from the sideline. It didn't give Sam a lot of room to grow, in my opinion, to make decisions on the fly. It worked in some instances, but it handicapped him in the long run."

Incredible how crippling this one man was to our entire franchise. 

True, but Kalil didn't do a bad job of crippling the franchise  himself

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, flgreen said:

Kalil LOL

Kalil was the biggest detriment to Sam's career at the time.  If you can't get the ball to the QB, he can't do much with it.

Shut up Dude

EXACTLY, couldn't agree more. 

First, Kevinc is a clown who needs to be listed as a troll. Second, if you watch what Phil Simms said about this you'll understand it for what it is. He said that the throws are no where near the same thing. The throw that Zach made was a LOT HARDER than anything Sam did in that particular instance or ever did before. Phil has some credibility on this subject since he was the one who came out and said that Sam should NOT be the first pick in the draft BEFORE ANYONE ELSE DID and again he nailed his QB analysis. Given Phil's track record I'm feeling really good about the Zach selection.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, jetsrule1969 said:

EXACTLY, couldn't agree more. 

First, Kevinc is a clown who needs to be listed as a troll. Second, if you watch what Phil Simms said about this you'll understand it for what it is. He said that the throws are no where near the same thing. The throw that Zach made was a LOT HARDER than anything Sam did in that particular instance or ever did before. Phil has some credibility on this subject since he was the one who came out and said that Sam should NOT be the first pick in the draft BEFORE ANYONE ELSE DID and again he nailed his QB analysis. Given Phil's track record I'm feeling really good about the Zach selection.

So you agree with the sentiment of my post but call me a troll? You know im a STH right? 

Darnold's biggest issues are/were mental, not physical.  Very few people question his ability from a physical standpoint.

Darnold can make all the throws.  Wilson can make all the throws.  Will Wilson be better than Darnold from a mental standpoint?  That's the big question.  His processing speed, ability to read defenses, and instincts are going to dictate whether he succeeds as an NFL quarterback (aside from health of course).

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

39 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

If anything, we needed Sam Darnold to be making more decisions.  Yes, yes.

Devil's Advocate:

Scenario #1:  Gase said "this is the play, you need to go to this guy, run it as I call it", Sam does it, the guy is covered, resulting in an INT.

Scenario #2:  Sam makes an on the fly decision to throw to a covered guy, resulting in an INT.

How do we Fans know which is what actually happened?

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

Darnold's biggest issues are/were mental, not physical.  Very few people question his ability from a physical standpoint.

Darnold can make all the throws.  Wilson can make all the throws.  Will Wilson be better than Darnold from a mental standpoint?  That's the big question.  His processing speed, ability to read defenses, and instincts are going to dictate whether he succeeds as an NFL quarterback (aside from health of course).

If he has 1.5 seconds to throw the ball for the next 3 years he won't....not sure why this is so complicated.  Go look at tape when Wilson faces pressure all game he looks exactly like Darnold playing for the Jets.

• Upvote 1