New Washington Football Team name?

FYI:  "Redtails" is a reference to the famed Tuskegee Airman - a group of African American fighter pilots who fought in WWII during the time when segregation was still happening.  From just down the road from me in Tuskegee Alabama.  

They were noted by their plane's color scheme

440px-Tuskegee_P-51.jpg

Tuskegee is also known for 

Tuskegee University  - Home of George Washington Carver and Booker T Washington

The Commodores 

The horrible Tuskegee Syphilis Study https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuskegee_Syphilis_Study

• Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

FYI:  "Redtails" is a reference to the famed Tuskegee Airman - a group of African American fighter pilots who fought in WWII during the time when segregation was still happening.  From just down the road from me in Tuskegee Alabama.  

440px-Tuskegee_P-51.jpg

The Commodores 

The horrible Tuskegee Syphilis Study https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuskegee_Syphilis_Study

It's a good enough name, and certainly a history worthy of honoring.

Just not for DC.

If Alabama ever gets an NFL Team, sure, rock on.  Just not sure, apart from the desperation to keep the word "red" in the name, that it has any meaningful connotation/connection to D.C.

And JMO, but DC Teams should names with connections to DC.  It's kinda our thing, being the Capitol City and all.

For example:  Washington Justice. 

Logo: Sword and Scales of Justice. 

Tie In:  City of the Supreme Court, Civil Rights Marches, Etc.

Logo something like this:

scales-of-justice-on-a-sword-silhouette-

Then stupid fan sayings lake "Damn yo, he bringing the Justice to that QB!" would work, lol.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Butterfield said:

I am surprised so many people like Football Team.  It is so generic, and I personally like the city-mascot convention in American sports.  

im pro football team 

they somehow won the NFC east last season 

don't mess with success 

• Thumb Down 1

39 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

21st century rebrand of the Thundercats.  Most likely. 

thunder_cats.gif.12400de1a8ef496e39aafeb08efc4a53.gif

Nope... the 21st century rebrand of the Thundercats was this cringey woke nonsense right here.   

maxresdefault.jpg

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Butterfield said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/washington-nfl-team-might-change-its-name-and-here-are-some-of-the-options-fans-are-being-asked-to-consider/amp/

After undergoing a name change prior to the 2020 NFL season, the Washington Football Team will be sticking with the WFT name for at least one more year, but after the 2021 season, there could potentially be another change coming. 

The team name could be revamped again as soon as 2022, and apparently, the organization has a quite a few options to choose from. The team sent out an email to season-ticket holders this week with the hope of getting some input on what the new name should be. 

In the email, each season-ticket holder was given a list of roughly 10 names and was asked to choose which two were the best. Not every season-ticket holder was given the same list and in the end, the organization sent out more than 30 names to choose from. 

In the email, team president Jason Wright noted that Washington will be using input from its fans to help choose the new name. 

"This is an ongoing, iterative process -- we've used focus groups, stakeholder interviews, large-scale surveys, and other qualitative and quantitative approaches to understand what fans want and what types of names resonate with our fans," Wright wrote, via NBC Sports Washington. "To that end, we want to ask all of YOU for your input on what kinds of names are most meaningful to you -- which concepts represent what you love about this organization and what it means to you."

Wright has previously said that the team would like to have its new name in place in time for the 2022 season, which means a name change announcement will likely be coming at some point early next year. Right now, the team is trying to whittle the long list of names down and they're doing that by letting fans pick the name that they like the most. 

"Each of you will be shown a small selection from a broader pool of brainstormed names that we're getting early feedback on," Wright wrote. "Please note, this is not a vote for the name, but instead an opportunity to capture insights and perspective that will be so important to this next phase of our rebrand journey."

Basically, the names below are ones that the team has been throwing around, and now, they want to get fan input to see which names should be considered going forward. 

Here's a list of names Washington fans were asked to choose from (Listed in alphabetical order): 

Aces
Ambassadors
Anchors
Archers
Armada
Aviators
Beacons
Belters
Brigade
Commanders
Defenders
Demon Cats
First City Football Club (FCFC)
Griffins
Guardians
Icons
Majors
Monarchs
Pilots
Presidents
Razorbacks
Redtails
Redwolves 
Red Hogs
Renegades
Riders 
Rising
Royals
Rubies
Swifts
Warriors
Washington DC Football Club (DCFC)
Washington Capital City Football Club (CCFC)
Wayfarers
Wild Hogs
32FC (W32)
Football Team

As you can see at the bottom of the list, the team will consider using Football Team going forward, something team president Jason Wright mentioned back in March.

"There are a set of folks that have warmed to the Washington Football Team," Wright said at the time. "Some of the things that are emerging from that are the Washington Football Team has something that ties deeply to our history.

As for me, I would probably vote for Presidents or Red Hogs, but I have to say, I'm sorry to see that Red Pandas didn't make the cut. 

Riot

The Washington Riot.

That Was Easy GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

6 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I remember when children were asked to vote on the name of a new animal at the Zoo....

never-let-elementary-school-kids-name-a-zoo-animal.jpeg.432db1a8b8021e73dd0c9e716f64968e.jpeg

Boaty McBoatface says hi.

No way we let Fans decide, how do you think we ended up with the horrible Washington Wizards name.....ugh.

See what I mean, when the name ties to the City, it's good and the UNis look good. Capitals, Nationals, both looks and sound good.  Wizards, ugh, horror, Redskins, lol, nope.

Federals, with a nice Red/White/Blue Eagle Logo would be great, got a nice ring to tit, but USFL screwed the pooch on that one I think.

Sadly, Dan Snyder is a derp, and is far more likely to keep the horrid Mustard and Old Blood colors and pick a lame name like WFT than he is to go where the team representing the capitol city of the nation should go.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, SayNoToDMC said:

I liked Redtails. Good name for entirely legit historical and cool reasons, plus you get points from the woke crowd you got in trouble with to start. I thought that was a good one a year ago before they chose the dumbest possible option "Football Team"

Thats why its going to be the consensus choice....

I think its a good name. Lots of cool branding ideas. 

27 minutes ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

Washington University student union petitioned to remove their George Washington statue recently.  Washington might get cancelled.  They should just go with Football Team to be safe.

Mid-Atlantic Human Sport Assembly

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

440px-Tuskegee_P-51.jpg

The Commodores 

This should be the name and it's a no brainer.  

Shouldn't even be asking...

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Butterfield said:

Just thought someone may be interested in seeing this. That said, there are some terrible team names on this list.  

Personally, I like Redtails, Redwolves or Red Hogs.  

Exactly. Why even put most of those names on a list and send them out. Narrow them down to 3 or so and then have the fans vote. Most of them are pretty bad IMO.

2 hours ago, kdels62 said:

I’d stick with Washington Football Team or go with Washington DC Football Club. Classy naming instead of weird mascots. Just make sure that everyone calls them Washington instead of Football Team or WFT for short. 

Personally, I want them to call themselves "Washington Team Football" . . . 

• Haha 1

Some of these are horrifying. I can't believe they even diluted the list with some of these. 

• Warriors, Generals, Defenders are the safest names and allows them to keep some of their intended roots when selecting Redskins... With Rivera, Chase Young, and Jamil Davis you wonder if there will be a tilt...  
  • The word "Hogs" has always bothered me (I think I'm traumatized from shooting a wild boar when I was 10 years old and watching it get gutted... that was graphic), but it goes with the fanbase nickname. Red Hogs > Wild Hogs. 
  • I'm a fan of Redtails due to the tradition and I would like it if we weren't the only team to have an aircraft as a mascot
  • Red Wolves is pretty solid as well

Everything else...