How Jamal Adams did the Jets a huge favor, and understanding the real folly of Sam Darnold

Alka

adams is like a whole bunch of college players these days.  they want the money, they want their posse's they don't necessarily want to work hard.  and mostly everything is about them and the team they are on.  maybe it was always this way with pro athletes but before they basically didn't have the same celebrity and so nobody really cared what they said or did.

• Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, jetsrule1969 said:

Wrong! It says a lot about the type of person Adams is and probably always will be. He painted himself into a corner with the false narrative that it was about the Jets and so now he can't complain about the next team. I hope they franchise tag him twice and he's playing for a last place team when they no longer have a QB! That is called karma!

Well if he is “ that type of person”, then he’d be belly aching over there in Seattle as well. 
nope, no respect. It’s gotta be earned and Seattle has it, we don’t.

but the thread is about Adams, and I’m glad JD flushed him.

• WTF? 1

55 minutes ago, Alka said:

Jamal Adams is in his final year of his contract, and to date, no contract has been signed, and if one has been offered, no one associated with the Seahawks or Adams has spoken about it.  Jamal doesn't want to be paid as a safety, for if he did, I suspect that a 4 year deal would have already been offered and accepted by now.

We know several things:  1. The highest paid safety is around $16.5 M per year, and Jamal wants more than that (guessing around 20M per year)  2. The Seahawks can keep Adams in the final year of his contract, and then franchise him in 2022 around $14M per year. 3. We also believe that Jamal will never accept that scenario. 

So why haven't the Seahawks signed Jamal yet?  It seems to me that they are not convinced that Jamal is worth the $20M per year that everyone believes he will want.  Jamal screwed himself by not getting the best deal he could with the Jets, and now he must have a stiff upper lip if he doesn't want to admit that he made a big mistake by forcing himself out of town.

If Jamal didn't run himself out of Dodge here with the Jets, I must believe that the Jets would have already signed Jamal to a deal of around $17M per year for 4 years.  He would have been the highest paid safety in the league, and the Jets would not have the ability to fill in a much needed hole with the 23rd pick of this years draft, a much needed pick in 2022, and of course a 3rd round pick this year.

Now, Sam Darnold.  After thinking about this for a long time, I don't believe the Jets real mistake was in drafting Darnold.  He was highly touted by so many teams, and he would have never made it out of the top 7 spots if the Jets never drafted him.  

The real folly of the Jets was in not staying put at the #6 slot of the draft.  If the Jets are going to move up 3 spots from #6 to #3, then you must be right!  If Darnold was there at #6, I would have no problem with the pick.  But, by giving up three (3) second round draft picks, you are mortgaging away the future of this team if you are wrong with the pick at #3.  

As I have read recently, Billy Bean had 5 rules, and one of them I will paraphrase:  He said something like, it is easier to recover from not making a move, then it is for making a move and the price you must pay to make that move.  I'm sorry, but that is not exactly what he said, but I love the sentiment in it.

If the Jets didn't pay the additional price to get Darnold, then it would be easier when he didn't pan out.  The Jets would have (3) three second round players who hopefully would all be starters on this team, and only 3 years into their careers, all players under the age of 26 going into 2021 season.

That to me is the biggest mistake the Jets made with Darnold.

plenty of 2nd round bust and with our drafting at the time I am sure they would have not been great. The Darnold deal wiht no loss of a first a first rounder was great. A decent drafter coud ahve build a team aroudn him but we didnt. That was the problem. that is paying big bucks limiting the FA classes we needed. We just had on eof the biggest FA in recent memory we needed that like every year.

2 minutes ago, slats said:

It was a bull**** excuse. Sure, he wants to get paid but what he really wanted was to be off the team. He used his contract and now he looks like the unpaid tool he is. Marcus Maye is gonna make more money than him this year. I think that’s funny. 

He's not going to do it because now it's 2 teams in 2 consecutive years who've been in no rush to break open the checkbook & lock into him for huge money with 3 guaranteed seasons at whatever bloated amount he isn't worth.

What's even more telling is Seattle has already invested so heavily in a player without the benefit of a long rookie contract ahead of him, and are still getting cold feet over doing so even one minute earlier than necessary. FFS they can tag him next year, too, if they like; it'd still be less than whatever extension demands he has & would both retain their ability to cut bait after that one year, but also to at least recoup a comp pick when someone else signs him. 

And yes it's hilarious that his 5th year option is less than Maye's franchise tag amount. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Jamal Adams will play like a man possessed this season.  He will basically play the role he and Keanu Neal invented.   He will be an All Pro.

Some team will pay him alot of money.   Hopefully Seattle FT's him.  

That is not because I like him personally or as a player.  It is because I think I know what motivates guys like him, and Leonard Williams.

I don't see Leo making the Pro Bowl this year.  He will get Gettleman fired.  He should have gotten Gettleman fired before.  

And as a lawyer, JD messed up that trade contract my not getting a better pick if he signed with the Giants anyway. 

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He's not going to do it because now it's 2 teams in 2 consecutive years who've been in no rush to break open the checkbook & lock into him for huge money with 3 guaranteed seasons at whatever bloated amount he isn't worth.

What's even more telling is Seattle has already invested so heavily in a player without the benefit of a long rookie contract ahead of him, and are still getting cold feet over doing so even one minute earlier than necessary. FFS they can tag him next year, too, if they like; it'd still be less than whatever extension demands he has & would both retain their ability to cut bait after that one year, but also to at least recoup a comp pick when someone else signs him. 

And yes it's hilarious that his 5th year option is less than Maye's franchise tag amount. 

I mean I'm down for drinks when they eventually give him that Tunsil type deal cause they cant admit to being stupid on giving up 2 firsts. They're basically screwed and the guy wants QB money as their QB doesn't even want to be there. Nice to watch other people be the butt of the joke

1 hour ago, Alka said:

Now, Sam Darnold.  After thinking about this for a long time, I don't believe the Jets real mistake was in drafting Darnold.  He was highly touted by so many teams, and he would have never made it out of the top 7 spots if the Jets never drafted him.  

The real folly of the Jets was in not staying put at the #6 slot of the draft.  If the Jets are going to move up 3 spots from #6 to #3, then you must be right!  If Darnold was there at #6, I would have no problem with the pick.  But, by giving up three (3) second round draft picks, you are mortgaging away the future of this team if you are wrong with the pick at #3.  

As I have read recently, Billy Bean had 5 rules, and one of them I will paraphrase:  He said something like, it is easier to recover from not making a move, then it is for making a move and the price you must pay to make that move.  I'm sorry, but that is not exactly what he said, but I love the sentiment in it.

If the Jets didn't pay the additional price to get Darnold, then it would be easier when he didn't pan out.  The Jets would have (3) three second round players who hopefully would all be starters on this team, and only 3 years into their careers, all players under the age of 26 going into 2021 season.

What if the Jets stayed at 6 and had taken Allen, Rosen or Jackson and Sam went at 3, Then Sam lit it up for whoever took him at 3 while the Jets QB taken at #6 imploded much like Darnold did? Would it still be OK?   

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, varjet said:

Jamal Adams will play like a man possessed this season.  He will basically play the role he and Keanu Neal invented.   He will be an All Pro.

Some team will pay him alot of money.   Hopefully Seattle FT's him.  

That is not because I like him personally or as a player.  It is because I think I know what motivates guys like him, and Leonard Williams.

I don't see Leo making the Pro Bowl this year.  He will get Gettleman fired.  He should have gotten Gettleman fired before.  

And as a lawyer, JD messed up that trade contract my not getting a better pick if he signed with the Giants anyway. 

i agree, it's all about the Benjamins!  I will be shocked if Leonard Williams played anything like he did last year, now that he got his contract.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SayNoToDMC said:

I mean I'm down for drinks when they eventually give him that Tunsil type deal cause they cant admit to being stupid on giving up 2 firsts. They're basically screwed and the guy wants QB money as their QB doesn't even want to be there. Nice to watch other people be the butt of the joke

Wonder if they're going to do that or tag him next year and then say ok screw it, big mistake, live & learn. 

I don't think they'll let him go before then for a couple reasons. First, the tag amount will still be less than the average $ for any extension. Second, they don't want a situation where they're without a first round pick next year AND they no longer even have the player they swapped for that pick either. 

I enjoy joking around plenty, but really I don't care what happens to him contract-wise beyond the Seahawks not extending him last year or this year makes it look a lot less like, "Only the Jets wouldn't have granted this guy a big-time extension." He's a rich, rich man either way; if he would be even richer with an extension from Seattle, this affects me how?

• Upvote 1

F'k Adams, i hope rots and I hope Seattle has massive buyers regret.

The Sin by McCagnan was not trading up at all.  It was trading up to a spot rather than for a player. (SF is making the same mistake)

Any bashing now is lousy hindsight becaaue most people and pundits thought it was a great thing Darnold fell to the Jets at 3.

BROCK AND SALK

Huard: Seahawks’ priority now is extending Jamal Adams in time for moves in free agency’s 3rd wave

BY BRENT STECKER
APRIL 14, 2021 AT 10:16 AM

Strong safety Jamal Adams has one year left on his contract with the Seahawks. (Getty)

The Seattle Seahawks are preparing for the NFL Draft in just over two weeks, but according to Brock Huard, that’s not their only focus at the moment. In fact, he thinks their top priority is making sure their next big move happens before the draft gets here.

Rost: Four potential fits for the Seahawks’ first pick in the draft

On the most recent edition of 710 ESPN Seattle’s Brock and Salk Podcast, Huard said he thinks the next domino to fall this Seahawks’ offseason is a contract extension for record-setting strong safety Jamal Adams, and time is of the essence.

Why?

The former NFL quarterback and current NFL on FOX color commentator believes Seattle has more moves it wants to make in free agency, but not until it knows how much money will be left after things are settled with Adams.

Let’s take a close look at what Huard broke down on the podcast that released Tuesday (which you can listen to at this link or in the player below).

Jamal Adams is the next domino

If the Seahawks want to make more moves, why don’t they just add to their positions of need and take care of Adams later? According to Huard, it’s more important to Seattle to make sure Adams sticks around, as was the case with wide receiver Tyler Lockett, who the Seahawks already signed to an extension this offseason.

Jake & Stacy: Is it worrisome Seahawks haven’t extended Adams yet?

“I think they’re working behind the scenes to get Jamal done. I think that is the ongoing process as it was with Tyler Lockett, and we saw Tyler’s deal get done,” Huard said. “… (Adams) is not getting traded; he’s not going anywhere. I think they love him. They have always said that when it comes to players who they believe in, they will pay, and I think they’re going to work simultaneously over the next 16 days to get their draft board in the best shape possible, and I think (vice president of football administration) Matt Thomas on the salary cap end and (general manager John Schneider) are working to get a deal done with Jamal. I think they would love to do that before the draft, to button that thing up and secure him, and see what’s left for maybe a few other little pieces.”

And that’s where the conversation really gets interesting.

What the Seahawks may do after an Adams extension

Huard sees a third wave of NFL free agency coming quickly, and the Seahawks – who are limited in what they can do in the draft with just three picks – probably have their eyes on players at a few positions.

“Maybe it’s a corner, maybe it’s a pass rusher, maybe it’s (linebacker K.J. Wright), maybe it’s another receiver,” he said. “And there are a bunch of free agents out there whose markets have gotten smaller and smaller as these days and weeks have gone by. … There are interesting names bobbing around in a third wave out there trying to land a home. That’s what I think is left for the Seahawks.”

Huard said “the market is favorable,” and if Seattle can get a deal signed with Adams and turn its attention back to free agency soon, it could be big for their 2021 roster.

“I think there are two or three more moves (the Seahawks will make),” he said. “I think that there is a pass rusher, and there are a bunch of veteran names out there, some intriguing names still. I think they learned the lesson the hard way the first half of last year (with their pass rush). I don’t think they can fully count on (2020 second-round pick) Darrell Taylor… and you can’t ever, ever have enough pass rush. I don’t know if that’s Everson Griffen, Aldon Smith – there are a bunch of veteran guys.”

Seattle is also down its No. 3 wide receiver after David Moore left for Carolina, and while the draft does feature a lot of depth at the position, Huard expects them to go the veteran route.

“This is a deep receiver draft, but you went that way with (Freddie) Swain in the late rounds last year. I don’t think they’re going to spend a second-round pick on a third receiver knowing Tyler’s been paid, DK (Metcalf) is going to get paid. … I think that’s probably a veteran receiver. I’ve said this for months that (Golden Tate) would be a very intriguing guy to me, and by the way, he is still out there.”

I just checked, the Hawks have about $8M in cap space.   Well, at least they don't have to worry about paying rookies.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Alka said:

Jamal Adams is in his final year of his contract, and to date, no contract has been signed, and if one has been offered, no one associated with the Seahawks or Adams has spoken about it.  Jamal doesn't want to be paid as a safety, for if he did, I suspect that a 4 year deal would have already been offered and accepted by now.

We know several things:  1. The highest paid safety is around $16.5 M per year, and Jamal wants more than that (guessing around 20M per year)  2. The Seahawks can keep Adams in the final year of his contract, and then franchise him in 2022 around $14M per year. 3. We also believe that Jamal will never accept that scenario. 

So why haven't the Seahawks signed Jamal yet?  It seems to me that they are not convinced that Jamal is worth the $20M per year that everyone believes he will want.  Jamal screwed himself by not getting the best deal he could with the Jets, and now he must have a stiff upper lip if he doesn't want to admit that he made a big mistake by forcing himself out of town.

If Jamal didn't run himself out of Dodge here with the Jets, I must believe that the Jets would have already signed Jamal to a deal of around $17M per year for 4 years.  He would have been the highest paid safety in the league, and the Jets would not have the ability to fill in a much needed hole with the 23rd pick of this years draft, a much needed pick in 2022, and of course a 3rd round pick this year.

Josh Rosen would have been the QB - Not exactly sure how that would have changed things except maybe we would have moved on sooner - and have 3 more second rounders.  So yes, in hindsight staying put would have been better..

But at the time I thought the trade was a good one - we needed a QB desperately - there were 4 there people liked (even though the 5th guy turned out to be a stud)- and there was talk about QB's 1-4.  I felt like it was a move Mac had to make - but I wasn't being paid millions to make that choice. Mac should have known better.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

F'k Adams, i hope rots and I hope Seattle has massive buyers regret.

The Sin by McCagnan was not trading up at all.  It was trading up to a spot rather than for a player. (SF is making the same mistake)

Any bashing now is lousy hindsight becaaue most people and pundits thought it was a great thing Darnold fell to the Jets at 3.

Mac would have easily traded up for Darnold at 3.  That trade might actually cost more. 

Just like the 9ers. they know who they're taking.  TL, ZW are pretty much locks and they know it.  They are trading up for a player.

12 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Mac would have easily traded up for Darnold at 3.  That trade might actually cost more. 

Just like the 9ers. they know who they're taking.  TL, ZW are pretty much locks and they know it.  They are trading up for a player.

Mac had no clue who was going to be there at 3, zero, he was shocked darnold was there.

Wilson was by no means a 100% lock for the jets at the point SF made the trade,  The Jets still had Darnold, Wilson still had not been medically examined,

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Mac had no clue who was going to be there at 3, zero, he was shocked darnold was there.

Wilson was by no means a 100% lock for the jets at the point SF made the trade,  The Jets still had Darnold, Wilson still had not been medically examined,

Oh, I agree Mac had no idea Darnold would be there - just meant he was - and if Mac waited for the player - he would have made the trade anyway.

As for SF, I don't agree.  The trade happened as soon as Zach passed his physicals.   That wasn't a coincidence.  SF and Jets ties tell me they knew who the Jets were taking.

If the Jets are taking ZW - then SF knew they couldn't get to 2.  So moved with Miami

If the Jets weren't taking ZW then SF knew they would be getting ZW. So moved with Miami

They abosolutely traded up for a player.  When that trade was made JD knew who he was taking. and SF knew who they were taking.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

What if the Jets stayed at 6 and had taken Allen, Rosen or Jackson and Sam went at 3, Then Sam lit it up for whoever took him at 3 while the Jets QB taken at #6 imploded much like Darnold did? Would it still be OK?   

Allen would be out of a job too right now had they drafted him. How would Sam of played elsewhere? Not sure? But we will find out this year.

What’s fun about Jamal Adams, and what the Seahawks can’t admit, is that Adams is already breaking down physically. He missed four games with a groin injury last season, then effectively cost the Seahawks their playoff game because of an injured shoulder and fingers. He’s a 210 lb ILB and it’s only going to get worse for him as time moves on. Here he is after the season, using the injury excuse for his sucking, which I’m sure his teammates loved, because they undoubtedly incurred nor played through any injuries whatsoever.

FC05A960-572A-4A17-9F93-8C2DD7F4EF35.jpeg

• Upvote 2

Final year of his rook deal 2021, franchise for 14m next, then dump him like a used up streetwalker. He will be washed, or pretty close to it by then. Just what he deserves. He can be a nice journeyman with a big mouth like Sheldon Richardson. Well, similar but with a lot shorter longevity. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Alka said:

Not only that they might have settled with Picking Josh Allen at 6

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

If we're playing the "what-if" game, then the Jets would have certainly had their choice of 3 players, 2 of which are winners!  What if the Jets had taken Allen or Jackson?  At #6.  What if 2 of the 3 2nd round picks turned out to be really good?  

Who cares if Darnold would have been great or not?  The Jets would have had the ability to draft a winning QB at #6..  That is the point I am trying to make.  And if all the QB's didn't work out?

Then we still have our 3 - 2nd round draft picks.  

4 hours ago, slats said:

It was a bull**** excuse. Sure, he wants to get paid but what he really wanted was to be off the team. He used his contract and now he looks like the unpaid tool he is. Marcus Maye is gonna make more money than him this year. I think that’s funny. 

Marcus Maye is a much better player than Jamal and he should make more $$$.

• Upvote 2