2-14 Jets opt out of OTA's

Matt39

11 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

That is not the point.

The point is that in many cases many people simply cannot make this choice.

Just one more divide between the entitled and the non entitled.

The same guys choosing no to prep for a football season will be the first ones grabbing a hammy and being out for a month because they are not actually ready to play real games.

It's voluntary workouts, not training camp

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

My God so much outrage here. These are voluntary workouts and they will still play the season. These guys put their brains and body on the line when it counts so I would cut them some slack. How many of us would go to work voluntarily for weeks at a time without any additional pay for it?  I thought we have freedom of choice in this country or is it only when we make choices everyone else agrees with?

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

I think it’s weird how averse to practice and OTAs the players generally are. I’m sympathetic towards them with a lot of the physical demands, but you’re asking these dudes to show up, watch film with your teammates, and go half-speed through some plays. On the other hand, it’s rare that you hear about guys showing up to camp out of shape anymore. It seems like that used to be more of a thing, where dudes were fat and puking the first week of practices.

1 hour ago, slats said:

"Many of us will... " 

We'll see what that looks like. I can't imagine too many players fighting for a starting job or roster spot might be sitting out, on the other hand Maye & Mosley are like we'll see you when we have to. Be interesting to see what a guy like Becton does. 

Maye technically isn’t under contract, is he?

32 minutes ago, docdhc said:

My God so much outrage here. These are voluntary workouts and they will still play the season. These guys put their brains and body on the line when it counts so I would cut them some slack. How many of us would go to work voluntarily for weeks at a time without any additional pay for it?  I thought we have freedom of choice in this country or is it only when we make choices everyone else agrees with?

Then don’t go and be a man about it.
Don’t leverage this horrible thing that just happened to the world because you don’t want to go to OTA’s. 

55 minutes ago, docdhc said:

What sports have told us recently is these guys were mostly born were insane gifts and at the end of the day will take advantage of mailing it in when they can like the rest of us. I get it, but it is what it is. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, JTJet said:

Good lord. I wish I could just "opt out" of things I dont want to do at work and still get paid. 

"Boss I think I'm going to....opt out....of this project the company is working on at the moment, but hey, see ya on payday and thanks for the free donuts this morning" 

Silly world we live in. 

Is the project voluntary?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, David Harris said:

Yet the Dunkin donut lady has been working nonstop since this started.  All grandparents and immunocompromised have been vaccinated by now, smh at these lazy entitled snowflakes

The Dunkin' Donut lady should have bargaining power as well. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

fuuckking veterans want nothing more than to screw over the young players...agents need to tell their rookie contract guys to attend. The people that hold power in the NFLPA represent the smallest portion of their members.

Bunch of young players on the bubble, trying to learn a new offense or a new defense.

If i was them, I would want every possible chance to show my coach what I can do.  Especially with less preseason games.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, docdhc said:

If you paid me $3M to go to a few light practices and I was in the lowest risk group and had access to a vaccine with a 100% success rate against severe sickness and death, yeah, they should get their asses to work.

And they don't "put their bodies on the line" for nothing; they are paid very handsomely for this.  They know the physical risks of the sport.  They accept them.  Not because of dedication to fans.  Because they're greedy.

SAR I

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

32 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Is the project voluntary?

Yes. Nothing like meeting the bare minimum. There are those that go above and beyond and there are those that only wear their 13 pieces of flare. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

That is not the point.

The point is that in many cases many people simply cannot make this choice.

Just one more divide between the entitled and the non entitled.

The same guys choosing no to prep for a football season will be the first ones grabbing a hammy and being out for a month because they are not actually ready to play real games.

That's what happened last season with Mims. He claimed that he couldn't find a place to workout and then immediately pulled a hamstring after he had to report. How can this guy not workout at his house? He didn't need any special equipment to stretch his hamstrings. Just lazy. 

2 hours ago, choon328 said:

It's voluntary workouts, not training camp

Yes, no problemo.  Save the holy declaration printed on a tablet from the mount and just don't show up.

If you literally do not have to give any reason at all to not show up don't go soft peddling the thing. it is insulting. 

Don't show up and shut up.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Yes. Nothing like meeting the bare minimum. There are those that go above and beyond and there are those that only wear their 13 pieces of flare. 

And these are the folks who get all upset when a promotion is given to the person who worked the hardest, performed the best and went above and beyond.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

If you paid me $3M to go to a few light practices and I was in the lowest risk group and had access to a vaccine with a 100% success rate against severe sickness and death, yeah, they should get their asses to work.

And they don't "put their bodies on the line" for nothing; they are paid very handsomely for this.  They know the physical risks of the sport.  They accept them.  Not because of dedication to fans.  Because they're greedy.

SAR I

Yes I’m sure you do extra work for free all the time. I’m sure you work because of dedication to others not because of the lifestyle it provides. They get paid handsomely because their work is so interesting that people like you pay to watch them. It’s called generating income. It’s what the market dictates. I guess you don’t support a free market unless it’s making you as rich as you always purport to be. You think they don’t work hard enough for the pay they make?  Don’t support them by buying season tickets. Don’t watch movies or listen to music either. Those people make a lot of money too. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

18 minutes ago, docdhc said:

Yes I’m sure you do extra work for free all the time. I’m sure you work because of dedication to others not because of the lifestyle it provides. They get paid handsomely because their work is so interesting that people like you pay to watch them. It’s called generating income. It’s what the market dictates. I guess you don’t support a free market unless it’s making you as rich as you always purport to be. You think they don’t work hard enough for the pay they make?  Don’t support them by buying season tickets. Don’t watch movies or listen to music either. Those people make a lot of money too. 

That's fine and all but this notion that pro athletes have gotten where they are because they work hard should go to bed now. These guys are lazy af.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

That's fine and all but this notion that pro athletes have gotten where they are because they work hard should go to bed now. These guys are lazy af.

That’s kind of a broad brush. Some work really hard, some probably skate by on talent. Not unlike many other lines of work. 

1 minute ago, docdhc said:

That’s kind of a broad brush. Some work really hard, some probably skate by on talent. Not unlike many other lines of work. 

What constitutes working hard? Staying in shape? Firemen stay in shape too. The professional athlete at this point is playing with fire. Fans wont be around forever if the player resentment continues to grow.  Legit baffling these guys think this is a good look.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

What constitutes working hard? Staying in shape? Firemen stay in shape too. The professional athlete at this point is playing with fire. Fans wont be around forever if the player resentment continues to grow.  Legit baffling these guys think this is a good look.

Firefighting is a noble profession. They don’t get rich while risking their lives to help others so they should be respected and admired. Athletes may be mercenaries and don’t deserve the same respect. I just think they deserve the pay they get because people want to watch so they generate lots of revenue. If as you say, fans get disgusted with them and stop watching their pay will go away. I think, though, that the entertainment they provide will keep the fans coming back and the money coming in, even if they resent how the players behave. Either way I’m ok with letting the market dictate the results.