2-14 Jets opt out of OTA's

Matt39

8 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The NFL needs to change its  policies the workouts should be mandatory. 

Its simple show up for work get paid, don't show up don't get paid and stand the chance of losing your job. 

Like the real world. 

And football isn’t the real world. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, docdhc said:

My God so much outrage here. These are voluntary workouts and they will still play the season. These guys put their brains and body on the line when it counts so I would cut them some slack. How many of us would go to work voluntarily for weeks at a time without any additional pay for it?  I thought we have freedom of choice in this country or is it only when we make choices everyone else agrees with?

C.J. Mosley Dancing Sticker by Baltimore Ravens for iOS ...

I get it..
Last May we made it very clear to our folks that anyone not returning to work after 5 days would be terminated for job abandonment.
Out of 2,000 and change people we only had 5 that were terminated.
Then again, we could comply with all social distancing and cleanliness requirements and still allow them to work remotely according to schedules approved by their Managers.
I do not think it is possible to protect football players in the way we can secure normal work places.
Plus, the NFL is not dealing with people who have above average intelligence and common sense either.

Weird flex, but ok?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

26 minutes ago, mfmartin said:

It’s not the “real world” and this stuff is collectively bargained.

Understood but it needs to change. 

Or the NFL needs better negotiators. 

Heres an idea keep the workouts optional to please the players but of you choose to not work out and you get injured when you do decide to play you don't get paid. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, mfmartin said:

It’s not the “real world” and this stuff is collectively bargained.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

This is true.  They have every right to not show up.  

But please don't be cowardly and blame Covid.  It's taking advantage of something that's killed millions of people.

It's kinda sickening to me that they would take this approach.

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, rangerous said:

so much for changing the player culture.  it's pretty ridiculous when players stay out especially since they have a whole new coach to start getting to know.  and it's not like the old days when players had to get jobs in the off season because the game didn't pay much.  these guys are paid like they're full time employees, they should act like it.

Do the Superbowl Champion Tampa Bay Buccaneers have a culture problem?

4 hours ago, UnknownJetFan said:

You'd think these guys should all be getting vaccinated. NY has been allowing anybody any age to get the vaccine for 2-3 weeks now so get the 1st shot then a month later the 2nd. Then 2 weeks after that maybe by end of May the players should be able to start and participate in offseason workouts. Not sure in NJ but maybe they should still be able to do that there.

I mean you can't force them to get it.

But it has less to do with the pandemic/vaccine than it has to do with the typical NFLPA-NFL spat

• Upvote 1

The NFL needs to change its  policies the workouts should be mandatory. 
Its simple show up for work get paid, don't show up don't get paid and stand the chance of losing your job. 
Like the real world. 
Doesn't have to be mandatory... the players should just get paid for showng up for the voluntary workouts .. just change the name to 'optional' workouts.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

9 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Or the NFL needs better negotiators. 

lol what?  Every CBA, the owners get more and more power and more financially beneficial policies for them.

The owners wanted Thursday night games, and they got it.  They wanted 17 games, they got it.  They wanted to give rookies less money and a 5th year option to keep them under cheap team control for as long as possible, and they got it.  And they just signed on a massive new TV deal that will continue to give them endless wealth.

In return they give in to a few of the players' largely meaningless demands, like less practices, and a lot of those bargaining chips tend to work against the players in the end anyways.

The owners don't give a sh*t about OTA's, and nor should you.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

lol what?  Every CBA, the owners get more and more power and more financially beneficial policies for them.

The owners wanted Thursday night games, and they got it.  They wanted 17 games, they got it.  They wanted to give rookies less money and a 5th year option to keep them under cheap team control for as long as possible, and they got it.  And they just signed on a massive new TV deal that will continue to give them endless wealth.

In return they give in to a few of the players' largely meaningless demands, like less practices, and a lot of those bargaining chips tend to work against the players in the end anyways.

The owners don't give a sh*t about OTA's, and nor should you.  

Neither a player or owner here just a fan. 

On 4/16/2021 at 7:09 PM, JTJet said:

Good lord. I wish I could just "opt out" of things I dont want to do at work and still get paid. 

"Boss I think I'm going to....opt out....of this project the company is working on at the moment, but hey, see ya on payday and thanks for the free donuts this morning" 

Silly world we live in. 

Cool. Get your union to negotiate that right for you into your deal with your employers. I assume that your job generally has a lot of commonalities with those of professional football players, like not being an at-will employee and being unable to leave your job for a better offer for several years, right? Like your boss being able to decide that you and your family need to move to Buffalo, Cleveland, or Detroit, whether you like it or not?

No?

Hmmm. Weird then that your job and theirs have different rules, given how otherwise similar they are

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Cool. Get your union to negotiate that right for you into your deal with your employers. I assume that your job generally has a lot of commonalities with those of professional football players, like not being an at-will employee and being unable to leave your job for a better offer for several years, right? Like your boss being able to decide that you and your family need to move to Buffalo, Cleveland, or Detroit, whether you like it or not?

No?

Hmmm. Weird then that your job and theirs have different rules, given how otherwise similar they are

Good lord you are wound up tight. Are you actually trying to get anyone to sympathize with professional athletes versus normal working class people? 

There is a couple million dollar difference in what you or I make compared to what they make. They can buck up and deal, they are compensated well enough to do so. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3
  • Haha 1

On 4/16/2021 at 6:01 PM, FidelioJet said:

In NJ it's pretty much getting to the point where if you want the vaccine you can get it.  There is simply no excuse for this.

Make a sleight effort and you'll find one.  

Don't even care.  COVID taught me I don't care about sports as much as I thought. Politics in sports sealed it. 

• Haha 1

On 4/16/2021 at 11:13 PM, DoubleDown said:

I'm not going to get bent out of shape over voluntary practices.  However, with a new Head Coach, new coordinators on both sides of the ball, and new systems, you'd like to see a decent participation rate even among veterans.  After last year's disaster, I would say the Jets can use all the training they can get.

Covid is absolutely being used as an excuse in this case.  This is all about power and money.  I really hope the next CBA does away with this voluntary workout nonsense.

I'm not overly surprised by a lot of vets having no interest in voluntary workouts, especially the ones that already got their pay day, like Crowder and Mosley. But I am disappointed in the number of young players this team has who I would have enough of a desire to prove themselves and improve themselves by participating in every single practice opportunity available. 

It's like if you just started at a new job and were asked to participate in a voluntary training and said "Nah, I'm good. I'm in no hurry to get better at this job".         It's just not a good look, imo. 

20 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

A lot of real world money supports the game. 

Because they do something that a fraction of humans can do.

Sports arent real world, have no idea why people say this.  Theres a lot of good and there is a lot of bad that goes along with it.  

Its amazing to me that theres this much anxiety over a week or less of non contact OTAs

• Upvote 1