2-14 Jets opt out of OTA's

Matt39

5 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

I am disappointed in the number of young players this team has who I would have enough of a desire to prove themselves and improve themselves by participating in every single practice opportunity available. 

Whats that number out of the young players who are out? 

9 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

Cool. Get your union to negotiate that right for you into your deal with your employers. I assume that your job generally has a lot of commonalities with those of professional football players, like not being an at-will employee and being unable to leave your job for a better offer for several years, right? Like your boss being able to decide that you and your family need to move to Buffalo, Cleveland, or Detroit, whether you like it or not?

No?

Hmmm. Weird then that your job and theirs have different rules, given how otherwise similar they are

Football players can walk away at any time they’d like.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, funaz said:

They can but they work in their chosen profession.

You don't like the way shoprite treats you, you can walk to target and get a job as a bgaeer their

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

Those are the parameters of the league though. The league wouldn't be nearly as popular if you eliminated the draft and trades.

11 hours ago, JTJet said:

Good lord you are wound up tight. Are you actually trying to get anyone to sympathize with professional athletes versus normal working class people? 

There is a couple million dollar difference in what you or I make compared to what they make. They can buck up and deal, they are compensated well enough to do so. 

Weird, I'm not the one who's turning it into a comparison, and it's a shame you're not as talented as they are, either in their field or in any other that would get you paid what you apparently think you should be worth. But anyway, I'm sure you show up for a whole bunch of voluntary work days at your place of employment.

Go get a therapist to deal with your inferiority complex and move on. There are plenty of other issues for you to be wrong-on-the-internet about, no reason to fixate on this one.

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Those are the parameters of the league though. The league wouldn't be nearly as popular if you eliminated the draft and trades.

Or multi-year contracts. Absolutely. That's why those things are never going away in the CBA. And it's why when the owners negotiate with the players' union, they agree to things like making OTAs voluntary - because there are core items they aren't negotiating away, and then there's the peripheral stuff that they're willing to give to the players.

"Voluntary workouts are voluntary" is one of those "parameters of the league", so fans whining about how they should really be mandatory should spend some time thinking about which other "parameter of the league" they'd like to see owners trade for "OTAs are mandatory" in the next CBA.

• Sympathy 1

Just now, Doggin94it said:

Or multi-year contracts. Absolutely. That's why those things are never going away in the CBA. And it's why when the owners negotiate with the players' union, they agree to things like making OTAs voluntary - because there are core items they aren't negotiating away, and then there's the peripheral stuff that they're willing to give to the players.

"Voluntary workouts are voluntary" is one of those "parameters of the league", so fans whining about how they should really be mandatory should spend some time thinking about which other "parameter of the league" they'd like to see owners trade for "OTAs are mandatory" in the next CBA.

What are you going on about. The Jets went 2-14 and have a new coach. Was probably a good opportunity for them to get together and practice. We dont need to get into the ins and outs of the CBA legalese here lol.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Because they do something that a fraction of humans can do.

Sports arent real world, have no idea why people say this.  Theres a lot of good and there is a lot of bad that goes along with it.  

Its amazing to me that theres this much anxiety over a week or less of non contact OTAs

Neither a player or owner here just a fan. 

12 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Yup. Voluntary workouts is an easy thing for the owners to give. 

Owners: “You want more money? How about...instead....we make OTAs voluntary?”

Players:  “Sounds fair.  Deal.”

• Upvote 2

First off, as stated above, it's voluntary.  Nothing to see here.

With that said if I was a young player like  Clark , or Zuniga, who got cheated out of reps last year because of the the Virus. Now their spot in the rotation, and perhaps their roster spot is in jeopardy.  If they don't get some hands on coaching, and reps They could find themselves driving Uber next season.  Pretty sure I would tell the union dude to GFY when he called to tell me not to report.  

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, flgreen said:

First off, as stated above, it's voluntary.  Nothing to see here.

With that said if I was a young player like  Clark , or Zuniga, who got cheated out of reps last year because of the the Virus. Now their spot in the rotation, and perhaps their roster spot is in jeopardy.  If they don't get some hands on coaching, and reps They could find themselves driving Uber next season.  Pretty sure I would tell the union dude to GFY when he called to tell me not to report.  

This. And it doesn't seem like the union is telling anyone anything but "we've got your back whatever you choose"

If I'm a bubble player, I probably choose to show up. If not, it's a different analysis. But either way, the players get to make those calls

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

Whats the number who have come out in favor of wanting to attend?

They dont have to.

I've never, ever heard a count of who was coming to voluntary OTAs.  Just the few that dont.

We're still whining about non contact, voluntary OTAs where possibly only two players could opt out

5 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

They dont have to.

I've never, ever heard a count of who was coming to voluntary OTAs.  Just the few that dont.

We're still whining about non contact, voluntary OTAs where possibly only two players could opt out

We're Jets fans. Whining is de rigueur 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

They dont have to.

Eh, tbh this stuff doesn't even touch the list of complaints I have about this franchise. I'm just saying it would make me happy for a younger player like Becton or Mims to come out I'm favor of showing up to these workouts. 

Tbh These voluntary workouts dont really touch the list of things I feel passionately about, one way or the other. But with how sloppy things still look the first couple weeks of the season, I tend to think as much practice/workout/team time as possible is a good thing. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

Eh, tbh this stuff doesn't even touch the list of complaints I have about this franchise. I'm just saying it would make me happy for a younger player like Becton or Mims to come out I'm favor of showing up to these workouts. 

Tbh These voluntary workouts dont really touch the list of things I feel passionately about, one way or the other. But with how sloppy things still look the first couple weeks of the season, I tend to think as much practice/workout/team time as possible is a good thing. 

How we've made this into lots of young players who need the practice or it effecting the start of the season is what im saying.  A few days of OTAs in April by a small group of players, OTAs where all youre allowed to do is have meetings arent going to amount to much in Sept. IMO

In less than 2 weeks roughly 200 plus rookies will be in the NFL.  That means in 4 years about 1000 new players get a shot to play in the NFL.   A 53 man roster means the entire league has about 1700 players on active rosters.  That can be a moving number but it's a  good example.

If veterans want to survive in a league where teams are actively trying to replace them every year they have a huge incentive to be ready to go when it's mandatory.  Pro's who stick around have personal trainers, dietitians, message therapists who manage their conditioning on a personal level.  Some even manage their happy endings but that's not my point. Many of them have less soft tissue injuries if they don't go to camp and preform better because they view their personal conditioning as a way to be at their best and compete.  They can attend team meetings via zoom.

The owners on the other hand have guaranteed businesses, granted monopoly status by the Federal Government.   The owners have a locked in salary cap and have an incentive to move out veterans for  wage scale rookies so they can overpay stars where the fans go out and buy Jersey's and come to see them play.  Fantasy football which maintains fan interest has also created a star system at the expense of team builiding to create fan interest and revenue completely removed from actual winning as a team.  

The owners don't want the vets in camp.  They want to replace them.   It's not a bone for the vets it's the system.  The vets who don't figure out how to train to be at maximum efficiency are being replaced.  The real pro's are better off not being handled by the team trainer. 

Lazy guys who aren't great are going to wash out with or without OTA's.  The pro who is committed are going to come in when it required in peak condition ready to go.  

• Upvote 2

People (fans) need to realize that every one of these seemingly trivial wins for either the players union, or the ownership group are momentous for each of their sides. That is why both sides try and establish beachheads on seemingly insignificant and trivial points (according to the fans). They are not trivial for either side. They represent land obtained in a never-ending battle against each other.

If one side gives up a “point”, it is used as leverage in the next negotiation round of CBA. The ownership group won a major, major coup for themsdelves in the 17 game schedule agreement. For the players, this particular point represents a little (very little in comparison) ground gained back in return.

This is a battle of wills on either side, and every point is contentious. Sorry for those that think this is about competition, it is about negotiation leverage. Small win for the players. One that they will not give because of appearances of being “soft”. It is hardly that. 

On 4/18/2021 at 4:29 PM, Matt39 said:

What are you going on about. The Jets went 2-14 and have a new coach. Was probably a good opportunity for them to get together and practice. We dont need to get into the ins and outs of the CBA legalese here lol.

I remember a story about the morning after the 49ers winning the Super Bowl some guy walking into their practice facility seeing Jerry Rice running sprints on the field. The guy asks Rice “why are you here?” Rice responded “getting ready for next season.”

Came into this thread expecting to see a statement that said every Jet will opt out of OTAs, instead it was basically a statement that said "many" will opt out. Meaning vets like Marcus Maye rather not put themselves through OTAs. It's the same kind of statement we saw from the Broncos, Bears, Bucs, Raiders, Niners, Cowboys and I am sure a few more in the coming days. 

Don't love it, but Jets are not alone and I am sure when all is said and done, the vast majority of teams will do the same 

Interesting comments on NFL radio today. Former player argued that younger players, guys on 1 year deals and even some aging vets who want to prove they can still play will come in voluntarily. Also pointed out that any injuries suffered during PTA’s are covered by the team/league. If you work out on your own and get hurt, it’s your problem.
Stay tuned...

10 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

People (fans) need to realize that every one of these seemingly trivial wins for either the players union, or the ownership group are momentous for each of their sides. That is why both sides try and establish beachheads on seemingly insignificant and trivial points (according to the fans). They are not trivial for either side. They represent land obtained in a never-ending battle against each other.

If one side gives up a “point”, it is used as leverage in the next negotiation round of CBA. The ownership group won a major, major coup for themsdelves in the 17 game schedule agreement. For the players, this particular point represents a little (very little in comparison) ground gained back in return.

This is a battle of wills on either side, and every point is contentious. Sorry for those that think this is about competition, it is about negotiation leverage. Small win for the players. One that they will not give because of appearances of being “soft”. It is hardly that. 

They're leveraging a world wide tragedy, that's resulted in millions of deaths, to establish a "beachhead" 

Not a good look.

Edited by FidelioJet
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

How we've made this into lots of young players who need the practice or it effecting the start of the season is what im saying.  A few days of OTAs in April by a small group of players, OTAs where all youre allowed to do is have meetings arent going to amount to much in Sept. IMO

And you may be right. I doubt a voluntary OTA or mini camp will be the difference between making the playoffs or not.  Over the years, they have significantly reduced team practices during camp and have made rules out the ass that have reduced and restricted team activities and even players contact with the coaches. Consequently, year after year, week 1 comes around and teams look sloppy and less prepared than in the past. 

For all of these reasons and reasons I have previously stated, ANY opportunity that is available for coaches to work with players is a good thing. Will these voluntary activities directly result in a win? Probably not, but how the hell do we know? I can tell you that it most certainly doesn't HURT!

I'm struggling to figure out what exactly your angle is here that you're trying to prove? Why exactly are you so against voluntary workouts? Why do you keep going with this? I've already said this isn't a big deal. Let it go, please. 

13 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

They're leveraging a world wide tragedy, that's resulted in millions of deaths, to establish a "beachhead" 

Not a good look.

The pandemic is a relatively short lived situation. Labor negotiations are forever. Union does not care a bout short term bad looks, if it means giving a up a long term possible asset.

7 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

And you may be right. I doubt a voluntary OTA or mini camp will be the difference between making the playoffs or not.  Over the years, they have significantly reduced team practices during camp and have made rules out the ass that have reduced and restricted team activities and even players contact with the coaches. Consequently, year after year, week 1 comes around and teams look sloppy and less prepared than in the past. 

For all of these reasons and reasons I have previously stated, ANY opportunity that is available for coaches to work with players is a good thing. Will these voluntary activities directly result in a win? Probably not, but how the hell do we know? I can tell you that it most certainly doesn't HURT!

I'm struggling to figure out what exactly your angle is here that you're trying to prove? Why exactly are you so against voluntary workouts? Why do you keep going with this? I've already said this isn't a big deal. Let it go, please. 

One more time, this is a union thing.  Its happening all around the league.  Youre fixated on a few days of meetings.  Thats it

Understood but it needs to change. 
Or the NFL needs better negotiators. 
Heres an idea keep the workouts optional to please the players but of you choose to not work out and you get injured when you do decide to play you don't get paid. 

That would never happen. Freak injuries could occur at any time.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app