Jump to content

Why Youtube Videos are not enough to Judge a QB


Recommended Posts

Interesting take and personally I do believe, especially for a QB, that there is more than X's & O's, mechanics, arm talent, etc.  The intangible aspects are extremely important - leadership, connection with players, ability to motivate, etc. are qualities that I wholeheartedly agree with this assessment - aka EQ. 

There are people and evaluators that believe you are paid for a job, and as a professional, just do it.  Emotions aside, do your role and all is good.

I don't.  Whether we like it or not, humans are emotional beings and no matter the facade of how tough or how  immune to emotions we pretend, we are all impacted by this colleagues, friends, family around us.  IMO it is imperative for a leader (QB) to have the EQ necessary to get the very best out of the players around them.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Idk. He thought Darnold and Rosen were QB 1 and 2 in 2018 so maybe he just has a platform and wants to be a gatekeeper while not actually being better at this than some really informed fans.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Because there is an entire industry that wants to sell you their draft insights. Of course it helps to meet with people and actually talk with them. However, video is an objective observer whereas people generally aren't no matter what they tell you otherwise. There is a reason teams heavily review video for drafting, training, and game planning purposes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Here is a video WHY Scouts know more than you or I.......Interesting!

 

Imagine if Simms is wrong about this years class, IMO that would set him back quite a lot when it comes to the value of his opinion on these type of things 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Imagine if Simms is wrong about this years class, IMO that would set him back quite a lot when it comes to the value of his opinion on these type of things 

He’d be batting 800. Doubt it’ll set him back. It’ll just shows he’s not super human. Plus it’s not like he’s saying TLaw isn’t worthy of the #1 pick. He’s made it clear that he thinks so. He just thinks Zach is better. Unlike prior years, his rankings aren’t far out there from the consensus.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Imagine if Simms is wrong about this years class, IMO that would set him back quite a lot when it comes to the value of his opinion on these type of things 

People will retweet and talk about his opinions next year just as much. It means nothing. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

He’d be batting 800. Doubt it’ll set him back. It’ll just shows he’s not super human. Plus it’s not like he’s saying TLaw isn’t worthy of the #1 pick. He’s made it clear that he thinks so. He just thinks Zach is better. Unlike prior years, his rankings aren’t far out there from the consensus.

 

1 minute ago, Samtorobby47 said:

People will retweet and talk about his opinions next year just as much. It means nothing. 

I don’t think so because of how polarizing this year class is. If Fields in particular becomes the best QB he couldn’t live that down imo. 
 

I could be wrong though 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If some of these scouts and gms only watched a few youtube highlights and perused mock draft sites their draft record would be far far better.

Mike McCganan and John Idzik armed with a bevy of scouts and  millions of dollars of scouting budgets did far worse in their time than any of about a dozen guys in our draft form.

  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

 

I don’t think so because of how polarizing this year class is. If Fields in particular becomes the best QB he couldn’t live that down imo. 
 

I could be wrong though 

lol he couldn't live that down. Yes, he'll never show his face again.

We're acting like this is the only draft class that has had hot takes at the QB position. We just recently witnessed Trubisky going ahead of Watson and Mahomes. Rosen going ahead of Lamar Jackson.

They get it wrong every single year. 

Also, nobody is saying Fields is going #23 or something. Just POSSIBLY the 3rd overall. Not exactly a shameful thing.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Samtorobby47 said:

lol he couldn't live that down. Yes, he'll never show his face again.

We're acting like this is the only draft class that has had hot takes at the QB position. We just recently witnessed Trubisky going ahead of Watson and Mahomes. Rosen going ahead of Lamar Jackson.

They get it wrong every single year. 

Also, nobody is saying Fields is going #23 or something. Just POSSIBLY the 3rd overall. Not exactly a shameful thing.

I’m not saying he wouldn’t show his face come on let’s be serious I’m saying people will criticize him for missing so hard.

And correction he has Fields as the 4th Qb behind Mond and has Mac Jones going 3. I understand if you’re a fan of football head but come on 
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thats all well and good but the eye test matters too, lol. I mean, it ALL matters. The combine, the stats, the injury history, the family background- ALL of it. 


I don't think most fans claim to know more than NFL scouts who actually pour over games, meet with prospects, visit with their families, look into their medicals, etc, etc. But you can still tell from watching a guy play on YouTube, even just highlights, what his abilities are. Sometimes a prospect will even jump out on tape to you without having to look at much else as an 'NFL talent'. I felt that way the first time I saw Josh Allen. I felt that way the first time I saw Lamar Jackson. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/17/2021 at 4:03 PM, oatmeal said:

I’m not saying he wouldn’t show his face come on let’s be serious I’m saying people will criticize him for missing so hard.

And correction he has Fields as the 4th Qb behind Mond and has Mac Jones going 3. I understand if you’re a fan of football head but come on 
 

 

Chris Simms loves Mond.  Has JD looked at that guy at all?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/17/2021 at 7:26 AM, oatmeal said:

Imagine if Simms is wrong about this years class, IMO that would set him back quite a lot when it comes to the value of his opinion on these type of things 

No it won't. That's the beauty of it. If he's right, he'll herald that for the next several years, but if he's wrong it won't ever be mentioned. 

I've advocated there needs to be a 'stats' site that lets you quickly and easily see how wrong media personalities have been. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/17/2021 at 10:03 AM, oatmeal said:

I’m not saying he wouldn’t show his face come on let’s be serious I’m saying people will criticize him for missing so hard.

And correction he has Fields as the 4th Qb behind Mond and has Mac Jones going 3. I understand if you’re a fan of football head but come on 
 

 

What did he miss? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/17/2021 at 12:50 PM, MysticalJet2 said:

Interesting take and personally I do believe, especially for a QB, that there is more than X's & O's, mechanics, arm talent, etc.  The intangible aspects are extremely important - leadership, connection with players, ability to motivate, etc. are qualities that I wholeheartedly agree with this assessment - aka EQ. 

There are people and evaluators that believe you are paid for a job, and as a professional, just do it.  Emotions aside, do your role and all is good.

I don't.  Whether we like it or not, humans are emotional beings and no matter the facade of how tough or how  immune to emotions we pretend, we are all impacted by this colleagues, friends, family around us.  IMO it is imperative for a leader (QB) to have the EQ necessary to get the very best out of the players around them.

I don’t disagree with your general premise but when I read this all I can see is Sam Darnold...ignore the obvious flaws you can see on any YouTube video but the intangibles - leadership, ability to communicate, to motivate, to win over the veterans in the locker room....all of that would convince you about Sam. It works both ways 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, redlichtie said:

I don’t disagree with your general premise but when I read this all I can see is Sam Darnold...ignore the obvious flaws you can see on any YouTube video but the intangibles - leadership, ability to communicate, to motivate, to win over the veterans in the locker room....all of that would convince you about Sam. It works both ways 

Appreciate the reply.  I agree, you need the physical/mental tools as well.  I just don't think you can be successful in the NFL with one and not the other.

Link to post
Share on other sites

didnt we read somewhere that JD couldnt decide on a QB until he stood next to Wilson.? he said he needed to be that close to see something i forget. im sure hes not the only GM or scout that needs to be that close.

and as for video tape, these scouts get more angles than we do. we just get the TV video. they get the top view where you can see the whole field and see how good the QB goes thru his progressions. see if he missed open receivers, defensive formations, that sort of stuff.

and i dont know how many of you guys watched every single game of these QBs coming out or why but that helps too then just watching the highlight videos. 

Sam, Bridgewater, Trubinsky... just to name a few had highlight videos too. and i bet they looked great. but if you ask the fans of those teams there probably glad there team got rid of those guys. they watched every play and the bad outweighed the good.

the draft is a crap shoot, for the GM and even more for us who watch the videos. but the GM has way more tools and Information then we do.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...