Happy Birthday Mekhi Becton

6 hours ago, KRL said:

Amazing he was 21 last year with no pre-season games and he basically
dominated from snap one.  If he stays healthy he's going to be a terror
for 10+ years

I like Becton a lot, and yes he has a real chance to be dominating.  He also gave up 10 sacks in 13 starts.  Not sure that is dominating.

If he wants to be dominating he'll take some of that big money he got paid as #11 and invest it in a private position coach, learn how to use his hands,  and a trainer.  Work his ass off all off-season, and show up for OTA's.

5 hours ago, flgreen said:

I like Becton a lot, and yes he has a real chance to be dominating.  He also gave up 10 sacks in 13 starts.  Not sure that is dominating.

If he wants to be dominating he'll take some of that big money he got paid as #11 and invest it in a private position coach, learn how to use his hands,  and a trainer.  Work his ass off all off-season, and show up for OTA's.

No he didn't. Thomas is the only rookie who gave up 10 sacks. 

Becton was more than adequate for

• a rookie (a young one at that)
  • with limited camp
  • with no preseason games
  • with questionable OL coaching
  • with meh play to his right
  • with a shoulder that wasn't 100% most of his starts
  • with play-calling that asked him to hold his blocks longer because Gase had an allergy to calling designed passes to his backs & TEs all year
  • with a hesitant QB with lousy pocket awareness
  • on a losing team that's got to be demoralizing to play for

IIRC he had 2 really lousy games - one of them with a shoulder injury - and that's where most of his sacks and a healthy # of his hurries on the year came from. The rest of the games he was rock-solid, never mind for a rookie. I'd be more concerned if he was merely ok every game and never excelled.

I wouldn't object to him dropping 15 lbs, but he's terrific and is one of the most unique and imposing tackle talents around.

7 hours ago, flgreen said:

Becton gave up 7 sacks, according to PFF. Cimini threw out the 10sacks number a few times and I still don’t know where he got it from. Also worth noting Becton was never penalized for holding in his rookie season. 

8 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

Becton gave up 7 sacks, according to PFF. Cimini threw out the 10sacks number a few times and I still don’t know where he got it from. Also worth noting Becton was never penalized for holding in his rookie season. 

Cimini quoted ESPN's stat's and  info service.