What Will A Successful 2021 Look Like?

This is an exciting time in Jets Land.  New coaches, new systems, new QB, a GM who is fully in charge and owners who stay in the background.  Seems like 2021 is already a success.  But what will real success look like?  Here are some factors:

• First and foremost, our new QB needs to show he’s the real deal.  It doesn’t mean he needs to put up Mahommes-like numbers, but he needs to show he belongs and improves as the season progresses.
  • With a near-normal offseason, the 2020 draft class need to get on the field and contribute.  Specifically, Mims, Perrine, Clark and Zuniga need to show that last year was an anomaly.  Becton needs to get into better shape and stay on the field.  He needs a Q-like year two transformation.
  • The new  training team and system need to help the players get and stay in shape and stay healthy.  
  • The OL needs to improve significantly.  Hopefully, Douglas will get a starting guard in the draft (e.g., Jenkins, Davis, Mayfield) and Clark can push Lewis/Rotten at the other guard spot.
  • Either Davis or a mid-round LB plays well.  LB is a mystery right now.  CJ is the wild card and no one knows what to expect from him.  
  • A CB must be found.  My guess is pick #23 or #34 will be a CB and he must produce reasonably well for a first year guy.
  • Team has to come together under the new coaching regime unlike they have over the last 10 years.  When Bill Walsh took over the Niners they went 2-14 and 6-10 in his first two seasons.  But anyone who watched them play in those years saw a team coming together and building a foundation.  They won the Super Bowl the next season.
  • The record should be between 5-8 wins and competitive in almost every game.  No more Gaze-like stinkers.

For schitts and giggles here is my latest mock draft:

• #2 - Zach Wilson.  ‘Nuff said.
  • TRADE - Bills receives #23 (to improve their pass rush with a guy like Keith Paye and #107 and the Jets receive #30 and #61..
  • #30 - Teven Jenkins, OL.  Douglas puts the next piece of his OL in place and it makes a huge difference.
  • #34 - Kelvin Joseph, CB.  Joseph seems like a good fit for Saleh’s defense.
  • #61 - Nick Bolton, LB.  Will immediately take Cashman’s spot.
  • #66 - Amon-Ra St. Brown, WR - Will contribute in year one.
  • #86 - Kenny Gainwell, RB - Will become part of the RB committee.
  • #107 - Ambry Thomas, CB - Could be this years Bryce Hall.
  • #154 - David Moore, OL - Project with potential
  • #186 - Ben Mason, RB - Project with potential.  A real Saleh kind of player.
  • Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 3
  • Sympathy 1

Either the Jags sheet the bed and inexplicably gift us the Sweet Prince, or Zach Wilson is going to so outperform here  many of our expectations that crow will be served here, buttered and sugared. 

I don't see either. 

Looks like Joe Douglas is about to bet his job on this kid. I dunno. Objectively looks like more red flags than May Day at the Kremlin. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

This is an exciting time in Jets Land.  New coaches, new systems, new QB, a GM who is fully in charge and owners who stay in the background.  Seems like 2021 is already a success.  But what will real success look like?  Here are some factors:

• First and foremost, our new QB needs to show he’s the real deal.  It doesn’t mean he needs to put up Mahommes-like numbers, but he needs to show he belongs and improves as the season progresses.
  • With a near-normal offseason, the 2020 draft class need to get on the field and contribute.  Specifically, Mims, Perrine, Clark and Zuniga need to show that last year was an anomaly.  Becton needs to get into better shape and stay on the field.  He needs a Q-like year two transformation.
  • The new  training team and system need to help the players get and stay in shape and stay healthy.  
  • The OL needs to improve significantly.  Hopefully, Douglas will get a starting guard in the draft (e.g., Jenkins, Davis, Mayfield) and Clark can push Lewis/Rotten at the other guard spot.
  • Either Davis or a mid-round LB plays well.  LB is a mystery right now.  CJ is the wild card and no one knows what to expect from him.  
  • A CB must be found.  My guess is pick #23 or #34 will be a CB and he must produce reasonably well for a first year guy.
  • Team has to come together under the new coaching regime unlike they have over the last 10 years.  When Bill Walsh took over the Niners they went 2-14 and 6-10 in his first two seasons.  But anyone who watched them play in those years saw a team coming together and building a foundation.  They won the Super Bowl the next season.
  • The record should be between 5-8 wins and competitive in almost every game.  No more Gaze-like stinkers.

• TRADE - Bills receives #23 (to improve their pass rush with a guy like Keith Paye and #107 and the Jets receive #30 and #61..
  • #30 - Teven Jenkins, OL.  Douglas puts the next piece of his OL in place and it makes a huge difference.

Great post! As far as measuring success I will add that the offense needs to function. JD needs to show that the moves he made in FA and the draft (including bringing in Zach as the starter and trading away Darnold, including bringing in a new coach) will lead to a much improved offense. They were, what, LAST in 2020? So not just the O-line and the rookie QB but the whole offense must produce. 

One thing I disagree with is the CB position. I don't think the Jets coaching staff views the lack of talent at the CB position the same way a lot of fans do. I honestly don't think they will look to draft one before Rd. 3. I think they are really high on Hall and believe Austin and Jackson will be a much better fit in Salehs system. I also think JD will sign a vet once the draft is taken care of. There are still plenty of options, including Poole. 

I like your mock. However, I highly doubt Jenkins falls to 30. Word is Colts really like him and are considering him at 20, as do the Steelers who are selecting 24th. If the Jets trade down, maybe they target Creed Humphrey. 

• Upvote 1

8-9

With the team being very young, the O showing signs of life, and the D starting to gel together.

Unfortunately, I'm anticipating the Jets starting off slowly due to all the new young moving parts, and another screwed up off-season.

I do hope the second half of the season they will start to come together, and make it a fun finish.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, BettyBoop said:

So we trade with a division rival to help em improve? Pass 

• Haha 1

A scrappy team that outplays the level of talent individually is the #1 thing I want to see this year. A QB who shows promise and learns from his mistakes, a competent Oline, and a defense that can get to the QB would be the next few things I want to see.

Success for a 2-14 team in the 2nd year of a major rebuild doesn't mean 8-9 wins.

1. Compete.  No blowouts, be in every game.

2. Win.  Win more games than we lose.

3. Produce.  Offenses and Defenses ranked 15 or higher.  No more 32nd place finishes.

4. Playoffs.

5. Super Bowl.

I expect the Jets to reach level 3 in 2021, and I expect them to do this every year.  There are no excuses for consistently failing to achieve goals 1, 2 and 3.

I don't expect 3 and 4 in 2021, but I do expect 4 by 2022, and 5 by 2023.  

There are no 5 year plans in the NFL, this isn't 1950's USSR.  This is a win now or we'll get someone else type of league.

JD has to put a competitive, productive, winning (or close to it) team on the field in 2021.

Anything less, given our cap space and draft pick assets this offseason, would be a grotesque failure.

I truly wish more of our fans would aim a little higher in their expectations.  So many have already written off 2021 as effectively a lose season.  It's just sad.

• Upvote 2

Every team in training camp opens up the season 0-0 and the goal I'm sure is to win it all. 

Any team that doesn't maybe shouldn't be a team in the NFL and disband the organization. 

Who plays a game to lose. 

I don't believe in almost, achievement or participation awards. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I truly wish more of our fans would aim a little higher in their expectations.  So many have already written off 2021 as effectively a lose season.  It's just sad.

What difference does it make to you or the Jets? 

• Upvote 1

at the end of the season the success will be measured by the win loss record.  i would expect them to have a winning season or nearly so.  but what i really want to see is an offense that can score more than 24 points per game.  that's a bit of a stretch but this team will not do very well with another 17 ppg season.

• Upvote 1

It's really just a common sense no brainer to know that this team should be better. They just didn't have any talent and Joe Douglas had pretty much overhauled half the roster by the time the draft is complete. My expectations are 8-9 or 7-10. That doesn't sound like much but it's actually an enormous improvement. A start toward being a perennial playoff team. A team that always looks like a contender.