Jump to content

What Will A Successful 2021 Look Like?


Recommended Posts

Russel wilson gets into a fight with new Seattle DE IK encampeeeelliii and gets his jaw broke, Geno leads Seattle to a 2 win season, jets get #1 pick in the 2022 draft

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to see the Jets play meaningful games in November and December.  I don't want to sit through yet another season where we are out of contention by Halloween.  Or even Columbus Day.  Just stay relevant into the last quarter of the season  Add to that a young exciting team that pressures the QB, can score some points and is fun to watch.

I can live with growing pains of a young team if they give us some reason to think they are on the right track and playoffs are a realistic goal for 2022.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Russel wilson gets into a fight with new Seattle DE IK encampeeeelliii and gets his jaw broke, Geno leads Seattle to a 2 win season, jets get #1 pick in the 2022 draft

Geno Smith is a free agent. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Alex Smith deftly operates the Lafleur offense to the tune of a Wild Card berth while Sparky gets the year he desperately needs to watch and learn.

In 2022 Zippy ready to take over with another draft class brought on to support him.

Link to post
Share on other sites

- The QB we draft looks really good. Don't need him to be an elite QB day 1 (though that would be nice), however I want to see development, lots of promise in talent and skills, and inner competitive fire while showing he can earn respect in the locker room. He needs to show the ability to be smart, handle himself, and not repeat his mistakes. 

- Our young guys should continue to develop and contribute. Guys like Quinnen and Becton continue their ascension to stardom. Mims and Corey Davis show good chemistry with the QB, and continue to get better. Also want to see the guys we're not sure about from the 2020 class like Hall, Davis, Zuniga and Clark start to grow into at least solid starters.

- Winning a ton of games is not necessary this year, but I want our guys to play hard and keep us in games. 4-13 while losing games within a score is better than something like 2019 where we were close to .500 but lost some games in horrific fashion. Think 2020 Chargers.  No losing in blowouts bs. No more embarrassments on national TV.

- An important thing to see what the coaching staff has got under their wing. We don't have the talent on the roster currently to play January Football, but I want to see if Saleh and LaFleur have the ability to make an over-achiever. This ties into the last bullet somewhat. Don't have expectations for loads of wins and a playoff spot, but I want to see our coaches inspire, teach and manage the game with intelligence and success. Close games, and guys playing with heart will show us. I Don't want to see beatings, and players hanging their heads. I want to see the team have the "run through a brick wall" mindset with regards to our coach. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, slats said:

What difference does it make to you....

What difference does it make to you how I feel? :-k

Quote

....or the Jets?

This one should be obvious.. 

If they can keep producing bad teams, yet keep selling out and making massive profits, there isn't much real impetus to pay out more to field a winner.

A low expectation fanbase enables Ownership to produce low expectation teams without fear of financial loss.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Success will be an offense ranked around 15th. (3rd down conversion rate over 40% would be nice)

A top 10 defense.. (allow under 23 PPG would be great)

A QB that doesnt turn the ball over much, and an OC that schemes to his players strengths.

W/L record is not really telling of these things, so I wont speak to that.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, BUM-KNEE said:

Success will be an offense ranked around 15th. (3rd down conversion rate over 40% would be nice)

A top 10 defense.. (allow under 23 PPG would be great)

A QB that doesnt turn the ball over much, and an OC that schemes to his players strengths.

W/L record is not really telling of these things, so I wont speak to that.

If we have a Top 15 offense and Top 10 defense we would likely win 10 games or more.

I would love that.

I just want to see the development of Zach and improvements over each quarter of the season and then hopefully we enter December still in the thick of it.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Try this works well. 

image.thumb.png.527037e88daddcd2b1303b591d170093.png

Dude. Just got a tall fescue mix this year. High Hopes for this. Deeper roots. They ought to survive this frickin sand we have around here. And two maniac doggos.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

If we have a Top 15 offense and Top 10 defense we would likely win 10 games or more.

I would love that.

I just want to see the development of Zach and improvements over each quarter of the season and then hopefully we enter December still in the thick of it.

I would love to have meaningfull games in December....  seems so long ago

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, freestater said:

Dude. Just got a tall fescue mix this year. High Hopes for this. Deeper roots. They ought to survive this frickin sand we have around here. And two maniac doggos.

My daughter just bought a house near the shore, yard had a lot of sand i told her bf rake in some top soil and use this stuff it worked well grass is growing.  

Good luck 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I know what a successful season will look like but I know what a barometer of whether it’s successful or not. 

2 dudes here whether they are smug or not. 

Can’t say who they are, don’t want to get band. 

But they know who they are. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

 

Thanks for the post.  Lots to talk about here.

This is an exciting time in Jets Land.  New coaches, new systems, new QB, a GM who is fully in charge and owners who stay in the background.  Seems like 2021 is already a success.  But what will real success look like?  Here are some factors:

  • First and foremost, our new QB needs to show he’s the real deal.  It doesn’t mean he needs to put up Mahommes-like numbers, but he needs to show he belongs and improves as the season progresses.

Amen.  He also needs to survive the season.  Burrow looked great until the NFL broke him in two. 

  • With a near-normal offseason, the 2020 draft class need to get on the field and contribute.  Specifically, Mims, Perrine, Clark and Zuniga need to show that last year was an anomaly.  Becton needs to get into better shape and stay on the field.  He needs a Q-like year two transformation.

Becton needs to play 16 games.  He was fine.  But he needs to prove he can sustain it.  As for Mims, same thing and I have high hopes he will do just that.  I want Zuniga to earn a spot in the rotation and Clark to contend for a starting job.  Perine just needs to be himself.  If the offensive line is better and the wideouts stay healthy, he will be just fine.  The key player from last year's class is Hall.  We need him to be the guy who played last season, no improvement is necessary.

  • The new  training team and system need to help the players get and stay in shape and stay healthy.

Seldom in the history of the Jets has a group of coaches needed to be shown the door faster.  The new staff could not possibly do any worse.

  • The OL needs to improve significantly.  Hopefully, Douglas will get a starting guard in the draft (e.g., Jenkins, Davis, Mayfield) and Clark can push Lewis/Rotten at the other guard spot.

Amen.  Where we differ is when to draft guys.  The later rounds ALWAYS yields players with starting grades.  Guards are devalued if they lack inside out versatility.  But that does not mean they are not solid prospects with starting grades.  No need to splurge early on inside out players like Jenkins and AVT with our precious and rare early picks.  We need better play and all-out competition.  If we bring in three guards with starting grades, who cares if they arrive in the 4th, 5th and 6th?  I do not.

  • Either Davis or a mid-round LB plays well.  LB is a mystery right now.  CJ is the wild card and no one knows what to expect from him.

CJ is expensive for a Mike but he will do just fine.  As for Jarred Davis, we just need him to stay healthy.  I think the answer at Will depends on who is available and where.  I fully expect a large group of undrafted free agents to fill out the roster at Will and Mike. 

  • A CB must be found.  My guess is pick #23 or #34 will be a CB and he must produce reasonably well for a first year guy.

I disagree.  We have two high draft picks as our starters in Hall and Austin.  Hall was a sure 1st round pick were it not for the injury.  Austin had a second round grade until he blew out his knee.  Just because they were bargains, does not mean they are trash.  Lamar Jackson fits the new scheme perfectly.  I have written about this in detail.  We need to add a veteran.  But only one and he need not start.

  • Team has to come together under the new coaching regime unlike they have over the last 10 years.  When Bill Walsh took over the Niners they went 2-14 and 6-10 in his first two seasons.  But anyone who watched them play in those years saw a team coming together and building a foundation.  They won the Super Bowl the next season.

I love your optimism.  Truly I do.  But I have a name for you.  Joe Montana.  I watched that era.  Joe wiped the floor with the league.  He won his first Super Bowl with almost nothing on offense.  It took the likes of Lawrence Taylor to deny him.  I hope Zach Wilson is competent.  Anything more would be gravy.  We will know a lot about the coach and his staff by the play of the defense which has many of the parts it needs.  What it does not have - depth at linebacker and a competent Will - are not hard to find.

  • The record should be between 5-8 wins and competitive in almost every game.  No more Gaze-like stinkers.

Agreed.

For schitts and giggles here is my latest mock draft:

  • #2 - Zach Wilson.  ‘Nuff said.

Apparently so. 

  • TRADE - Bills receives #23 (to improve their pass rush with a guy like Keith Paye and #107 and the Jets receive #30 and #61..

If Paye is there at 23 I take him and run like a thief in the night.  I do like the idea of a trade back but you are light on the compensation.  I would keep #107.

  • #30 - Teven Jenkins, OL.  Douglas puts the next piece of his OL in place and it makes a huge difference.

Not what I would do.  I am thinking BAP at 23.

  • #34 - Kelvin Joseph, CB.  Joseph seems like a good fit for Saleh’s defense.

Not what I would do.  I am thinking BAP at 34.  That is WR like Bateman or Moore or RB like Etienne or Harris.

  • #61 - Nick Bolton, LB.  Will immediately take Cashman’s spot.

I too am thinking linebacker.  I am also thinking safety or guard.

  • #66 - Amon-Ra St. Brown, WR - Will contribute in year one.

If we have not taken one earlier, then fine.  If no guards yet, I take my first one here.

  • #86 - Kenny Gainwell, RB - Will become part of the RB committee.

I am thinking "guard only", "center only" and linebacker.

  • #107 - Ambry Thomas, CB - Could be this years Bryce Hall.

I am thinking "guard only", "center only" and linebacker.

  • #154 - David Moore, OL - Project with potential

I am thinking "guard only", "center only" and linebacker.

  • #186 - Ben Mason, RB - Project with potential.  A real Saleh kind of player.

I am thinking "guard only", "center only" and linebacker.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope we are not decimated by Injuries and are not mathematically eliminated from the playoffs until the last 2 weeks of the season 

  • Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

New coaching staff and rookie QB.  sh*t the bed out of the gate and start winning games after game 5.  Win half of the back 12 and go 7 and 10 would be a great season.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, clayton163v said:

Thanks for the post.  Lots to talk about here.

This is an exciting time in Jets Land.  New coaches, new systems, new QB, a GM who is fully in charge and owners who stay in the background.  Seems like 2021 is already a success.  But what will real success look like?  Here are some factors:

  • First and foremost, our new QB needs to show he’s the real deal.  It doesn’t mean he needs to put up Mahommes-like numbers, but he needs to show he belongs and improves as the season progresses.

Amen.  He also needs to survive the season.  Burrow looked great until the NFL broke him in two. 

  • With a near-normal offseason, the 2020 draft class need to get on the field and contribute.  Specifically, Mims, Perrine, Clark and Zuniga need to show that last year was an anomaly.  Becton needs to get into better shape and stay on the field.  He needs a Q-like year two transformation.

Becton needs to play 16 games.  He was fine.  But he needs to prove he can sustain it.  As for Mims, same thing and I have high hopes he will do just that.  I want Zuniga to earn a spot in the rotation and Clark to contend for a starting job.  Perine just needs to be himself.  If the offensive line is better and the wideouts stay healthy, he will be just fine.  The key player from last year's class is Hall.  We need him to be the guy who played last season, no improvement is necessary.

  • The new  training team and system need to help the players get and stay in shape and stay healthy.

Seldom in the history of the Jets has a group of coaches needed to be shown the door faster.  The new staff could not possibly do any worse.

  • The OL needs to improve significantly.  Hopefully, Douglas will get a starting guard in the draft (e.g., Jenkins, Davis, Mayfield) and Clark can push Lewis/Rotten at the other guard spot.

Amen.  Where we differ is when to draft guys.  The later rounds ALWAYS yields players with starting grades.  Guards are devalued if they lack inside out versatility.  But that does not mean they are not solid prospects with starting grades.  No need to splurge early on inside out players like Jenkins and AVT with our precious and rare early picks.  We need better play and all-out competition.  If we bring in three guards with starting grades, who cares if they arrive in the 4th, 5th and 6th?  I do not.

  • Either Davis or a mid-round LB plays well.  LB is a mystery right now.  CJ is the wild card and no one knows what to expect from him.

CJ is expensive for a Mike but he will do just fine.  As for Jarred Davis, we just need him to stay healthy.  I think the answer at Will depends on who is available and where.  I fully expect a large group of undrafted free agents to fill out the roster at Will and Mike. 

  • A CB must be found.  My guess is pick #23 or #34 will be a CB and he must produce reasonably well for a first year guy.

I disagree.  We have two high draft picks as our starters in Hall and Austin.  Hall was a sure 1st round pick were it not for the injury.  Austin had a second round grade until he blew out his knee.  Just because they were bargains, does not mean they are trash.  Lamar Jackson fits the new scheme perfectly.  I have written about this in detail.  We need to add a veteran.  But only one and he need not start.

  • Team has to come together under the new coaching regime unlike they have over the last 10 years.  When Bill Walsh took over the Niners they went 2-14 and 6-10 in his first two seasons.  But anyone who watched them play in those years saw a team coming together and building a foundation.  They won the Super Bowl the next season.

I love your optimism.  Truly I do.  But I have a name for you.  Joe Montana.  I watched that era.  Joe wiped the floor with the league.  He won his first Super Bowl with almost nothing on offense.  It took the likes of Lawrence Taylor to deny him.  I hope Zach Wilson is competent.  Anything more would be gravy.  We will know a lot about the coach and his staff by the play of the defense which has many of the parts it needs.  What it does not have - depth at linebacker and a competent Will - are not hard to find.

  • The record should be between 5-8 wins and competitive in almost every game.  No more Gaze-like stinkers.

Agreed.

For schitts and giggles here is my latest mock draft:

  • #2 - Zach Wilson.  ‘Nuff said.

Apparently so. 

  • TRADE - Bills receives #23 (to improve their pass rush with a guy like Keith Paye and #107 and the Jets receive #30 and #61..

If Paye is there at 23 I take him and run like a thief in the night.  I do like the idea of a trade back but you are light on the compensation.  I would keep #107.

  • #30 - Teven Jenkins, OL.  Douglas puts the next piece of his OL in place and it makes a huge difference.

Not what I would do.  I am thinking BAP at 23.

  • #34 - Kelvin Joseph, CB.  Joseph seems like a good fit for Saleh’s defense.

Not what I would do.  I am thinking BAP at 34.  That is WR like Bateman or Moore or RB like Etienne or Harris.

  • #61 - Nick Bolton, LB.  Will immediately take Cashman’s spot.

I too am thinking linebacker.  I am also thinking safety or guard.

  • #66 - Amon-Ra St. Brown, WR - Will contribute in year one.

If we have not taken one earlier, then fine.  If no guards yet, I take my first one here.

  • #86 - Kenny Gainwell, RB - Will become part of the RB committee.

I am thinking "guard only", "center only" and linebacker.

  • #107 - Ambry Thomas, CB - Could be this years Bryce Hall.

I am thinking "guard only", "center only" and linebacker.

  • #154 - David Moore, OL - Project with potential

I am thinking "guard only", "center only" and linebacker.

  • #186 - Ben Mason, RB - Project with potential.  A real Saleh kind of player.

I am thinking "guard only", "center only" and linebacker.

Excellent post, even if we disagree some.

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think people harp on the team's lack of talent, but I think the teams lack of coaching the last two years covered up whatever lurking talent there might be on the roster.

Look at how many guys - the young RB's, Westco, the WRs, et. al. - that we really don't know anything about their potential and talent because Googly Eyes had a game plan from 1940 (my apologies to senior players,) spent time handing off to a senile delinquent, and the DC was busy calling sandlot defenses and misusing his talent as well. 

Hopefully, with a real training camp (which hurt last year's crop of players,) some more talent, and a REAL coaching staff, I think 7 or 8 wins are not out of the question. I also think JD has already mapped out with his staff likely drops or cheap additions that might be culled off of other teams depending on whether those clubs cut expensive or older vets after their drafts of inexpensive replacement parts. This is where cap space will also come in handy with additions during training camp.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/18/2021 at 12:32 PM, JustEndTheSuffering said:

Need to adopt the George Steinbrenner attitude of every season that doesn’t end in a championship is a failure. 

Please do not use George Steinbrenner as a model for franchise ownership.  Before he was suspended by MLB, Steinbrenner was an absolute failure and a joke (see Seinfeld) for his absurd meddling and for changing managers like he changed underwear.  The Yankees success began when he was suspended and the "baseball people" started running the franchise and building a farm system that led produced Williams, Jeter, Rivera, etc.  In addition, the Yankees won in a sport that has no salary cap because they had by far the largest revenues and were able to massively outspend every other MLB franchise.  The Yankees did not win by being better run or because of superior player development or culture. They won because they had a payroll that the biggest in MLB for many years.  It kind of makes it easy to win.....

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, dcJet said:

I just want to hear a Jet player's name on Red Zone.  

Oh, you will!

 

"And that's Zach Wilson with the.... Pick 6 and a touchdown for Tennessee.  If you're starting the Titans Defense in Fantasy Football today then whooooa nelly!"

 

😛

 

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Please do not use George Steinbrenner as a model for franchise ownership.  Before he was suspended by MLB, Steinbrenner was an absolute failure and a joke (see Seinfeld) for his absurd meddling and for changing managers like he changed underwear.  The Yankees success began when he was suspended and the "baseball people" started running the franchise and building a farm system that led produced Williams, Jeter, Rivera, etc.  In addition, the Yankees won in a sport that has no salary cap because they had by far the largest revenues and were able to massively outspend every other MLB franchise.  The Yankees did not win by being better run or because of superior player development or culture. They won because they had a payroll that the biggest in MLB for many years.  It kind of makes it easy to win.....

I said we should adopt his mentality of every year that doesn’t end in a championship should be seen as a failure you loser Mets fan. I didn’t say we should copy his style of running the team. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Oh, you will!

 

"And that's Zach Wilson with the.... Pick 6 and a touchdown for Tennessee.  If you're starting the Titans Defense in Fantasy Football today then whooooa nelly!"

 

😛

 

 

 

Zach wilson won't throw interceptions 

Didn’t you hear, he's perfect in every way 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2021 at 10:00 PM, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Please do not use George Steinbrenner as a model for franchise ownership.  Before he was suspended by MLB, Steinbrenner was an absolute failure and a joke (see Seinfeld) for his absurd meddling and for changing managers like he changed underwear.  The Yankees success began when he was suspended and the "baseball people" started running the franchise and building a farm system that led produced Williams, Jeter, Rivera, etc.  In addition, the Yankees won in a sport that has no salary cap because they had by far the largest revenues and were able to massively outspend every other MLB franchise.  The Yankees did not win by being better run or because of superior player development or culture. They won because they had a payroll that the biggest in MLB for many years.  It kind of makes it easy to win.....

Steinbrenner before the suspension was what Woody is now.  Only difference is there’s no real commissioner like Faye Vincent to reel him in we have the pats ballwasher Bob Kraft errand boy Goodell

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...