The value of a 1st Round RB has never been lower...

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

yeah, IMO one of, or both of the RB's could be there at 34.

In my mind I would like to see the Jets go Wilson, OT (Teven Jenkins?) to be kicked inside at Guard this year.

When 34 came, if either ETN, or Harris was there, I would have a hard time passing on them 

This would be an amazing first two rounds.

ZW, OL and then elite RB.  

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Grades are one thing but isn't value a separate question?

I thought Jamal Adams was actually taken LATER at (#6) than his grade suggested.... and we still shouldn't have taken him in that spot.

Sure.  But Tannenbaum valued Greene high enough to trade precious draft capital to move up for him, suggesting if he had a 2nd round pick he likely would have used it on him.  

3 minutes ago, Pac said:

Last 2 times this team was worth a sht we had 2 of the best RBs we've ever had in Curtis and TJ.

You guys wanting to go forward with Tevin Coleman and Adams will be the first whining that Zippy isn't being surrounded with enough talent.  Our RB situation should be a higher priority than the WRs as presently constructed.

Thomas Jones and Greene were pretty dam good..

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, YankeeJet22 said:

Yeah and their backups were just as effective as they were running behind those great Olines. (Lamont Jordan, Leon, Greene)

The same guy who still thinks Jamal Adams was a great pick lacks a basic understanding about positional importance and resource allocation.

Go figure.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I supported him yes like I do almost every player who wears the laundry. 

I posted his highlight films hoping he lived up to them after he was drafted. 

I never said we should draft him. 

Patrick Mahomes,DeShaun Watson,DK Metcalf of recent those are guys I wanted drafted by the NY Jets. 

How about you. 

@Jet Nut

You should be our GM

Mahomes huh?  By the time hes in the league 5 years the number of fans who wanted to draft him will be higher than any QB ever

Me?  I wanted Watson, didnt trust Mahomes.  Hit and miss.  I wont say I wanted both just because I talked about him

I wanted Josh Allen too.  Wasnt scared off by Lamar.  

I dont brag about the ones I liked pre draft.  Picking players is more than talking about 5 QBs and then claiming you liked the one who hit

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

yeah, IMO one of, or both of the RB's could be there at 34.

In my mind I would like to see the Jets go Wilson, OT (Teven Jenkins?) to be kicked inside at Guard this year.

When 34 came, if either ETN, or Harris was there, I would have a hard time passing on them 

You think the Giants regret taking Barkley with the 2nd pick in the draft yet?? They could have got Chubb in the 2nd rd..

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jet Nut said:

You should be our GM

Mahomes huh?  By the time hes in the league 5 years the number of fans who wanted to draft him will be higher than any QB ever

Me?  I wanted Watson, didnt trust Mahomes.  Hit and miss.  I wont say I wanted both just because I talked about him

I wanted Josh Allen too.  Wasnt scared off by Lamar.  

Our previous GM's were horrible so maybe yes I and many others could have done a better job. 

Yes Mahomes there's proof on this forum I wanted him drafted and Watson and lets not forget DK Metcalf. 

Josh Allen was another QB I wanted liked his size and ability to run we agree on that. 

Lamar was a gamble still is he will is successful but for  how long. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Pac said:

No one saying it has to be at 23 but it should definitely be addressed with one of the first 5 picks.  Not doing so puts that much more pressure on Sparky who is already going to have a rough go of it at first.

That's fine.  As long as its not at 23 or 34 that's more than acceptable.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sure things?  RB is among the most volatile positions.  Not only can injuries derail the careers of elite backs very quickly (which may well be happening to Saquon Barkley already), but there's absolutely no guarantee you'll find an elite RB by drafting one high.

Which of these highly drafted RB's over the past decade were "sure things"?

• Trent Richardson (2012, 1.3)
  • Leonard Fournette (2017, 1.4)
  • C.J. Spiller (2010, 1.9)
  • Rashaad Penny (2018, 1.27)
  • Jahvid Best (2010, 1.30)
  • Sony Michel (2018, 1.31)
  • David Wilson (2012, 1.32)
  • TJ Yeldon (2015, 2.36)
  • Ronald Jones (2018, 2.38)
  • Ryan Williams (2012, 2.38)
  • Kerryon Johnson (2018, 2.43)
  • Isaiah Pead (2012, 2.50)
  • Toby Gerhart (2010, 2.51)
  • Ameer Abdullah (2015, 2.54)
  • Bishop Sankey (2014, 2.54)

And as has been pointed out by other posters, Etienne and Najee Harris are far from being surefire elite talents.

Ronald Jones and Leonard Fourentte just won a Super Bowl. 

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Funny how you casually leave Le'Veon Bell out of the conversation.

No RB is worth d**k if you don't have a dominant offensive line or passing game first.  It's 2021.  This is a passing league. 

And there will be plenty of RB's worth taking in the 3rd/4th round to compliment the backs we already have on the roster. 

No one is suggesting that Douglas should pass on adding a RB altogether.  But having a capable running game doesn't demand devoting massive resources to the RB position.

Bell was done by the time he got here.  Old RB's that were once good isn't what we're talking about here.

A back like ETN or Harris would be impactful for this offense.  Certainly more than any CB.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

You think the Giants regret taking Barkley with the 2nd pick in the draft yet?? They could have got Chubb in the 2nd rd..

He got hurt.

If he didn't get hurt they absolutely wouldn't regret taking him.  He was a monster when he was on the field.

22 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sure.  But Tannenbaum valued Greene high enough to trade precious draft capital to move up for him, suggesting if he had a 2nd round pick he likely would have used it on him.  

I don't disagree.  That was also what, 12 years ago at this point during the age of the pocket passer?  Things are continuing to change.  Teams are essentially using their slot WR like RBs... a guy close to the line of scrimmage who gets the ball in his hands immediately on a quick throw for YAC.   YAC on quick throws are almost like rushing yards these days, instead of a handoff or quick toss you're seeing 4 yard passes at the LOS where your speed guys get yards.  I think this is diminishing the value of RBs for many offenses.

ThriftyVibrantDalmatian-max-1mb.gif.a88e8246c7caa1311c11c594377ec51e.gif

21 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Funny how you casually leave Le'Veon Bell out of the conversation.

No RB is worth d**k if you don't have a dominant offensive line or passing game first.  It's 2021.  This is a passing league. 

And there will be plenty of RB's worth taking in the 3rd/4th round to compliment the backs we already have on the roster. 

No one is suggesting that Douglas should pass on adding a RB altogether.  But having a capable running game doesn't demand devoting massive resources to the RB position.

That's it in a nutshell.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Pac said:

Last 2 times this team was worth a sht we had 2 of the best RBs we've ever had in Curtis and TJ.

You guys wanting to go forward with Tevin Coleman and Adams will be the first whining that Zippy isn't being surrounded with enough talent.  Our RB situation should be a higher priority than the WRs as presently constructed.

It’s not 1998 anymore bro...

now go Google who was on those offense of lines

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, YankeeJet22 said:

They're so damn tempting, but you really just have to look away.  Everyone agrees on why it's best to not use premium picks on them, but probably the No. 1 reason to me is that RBs are at their best performance-wise AND value-wise their first 4 years in the league.

They're usually not worth signing after that, because they're so easily replaceable. 

If go RB by committee and/or use more passing than running then the RB's life span should be more like 6 years or even more. The days of the workhorse RB like Emmitt Smith are over where the RB gets run into the ground quickly. The main reason Goff and other young QBs did well early on was the great RB's they had.

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

A JAG RB like guys we have signed in free agency like Forte,Ivory,Gore etc over the years  have done nothing.

Not for nothing but Chis Ivory was IMO pretty awesome for us. Easily the best RB we've had in the last ten years.

Forte, Bell, and Gore were former greats well past their prime. We signed Ivory at the right time and he was really good for us IMO.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

54 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Or they could have done what every one was calling them stupid for not doing, and drafted Darnold, who's now on another team.  

BTW there is a bit of difference between 2 and 34

15 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

If go RB by committee and/or use more passing than running then the RB's life span should be more like 6 years or even more. The days of the workhorse RB like Emmitt Smith are over where the RB gets run into the ground quickly. The main reason Goff and other young QBs did well early on was the great RB's they had.

Reducing a RB's workload doesn't mean you automatically get more longevity out of them.  Injuries still pile up for these guys.  

I think an RB makes sense for a contender picking late in R1.  RBs usually can caontribute immediately, but they have a short shelf life.  A win now team can take an RB in the end of R1 and they have a guy on a cheap rookie contract for 4 years,.  Then just let them walk in FA, get a comp pick and let a team (like the Jets) overpay a guy whose best year are behind him.

• Upvote 4