The value of a 1st Round RB has never been lower...

54 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If you're drafting a swing tackle at 34, there's a problem with your scouting department.

You're more likely to draft a backup lineman at 23 or 34 than a stud.

Conversely, you're much likelier to add a stud RB with 23 or 34 than waiting till later rounds.

JD will weigh out what the classes look like for both but I certainly won't be mad if they draft the first dangerous back we've had in over a decade.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Jets0712 said:

I may be in minority here but. Without gase force feeding gore all game. With a better o line,I really think Adams & Johnson can give the Jets a great 1-2 punch. When given limited opportunities they did it last year with an anemic offense

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I like Ty Johnson for sure.  He's a 4.40 40 guys.  Super quick.  Can really do damage if you can get him in space.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Pac said:

You're more likely to draft a backup lineman at 23 or 34 than a stud.

Conversely, you're much likelier to add a stud RB with 23 or 34 than waiting till later rounds.

JD will weigh out what the classes look like for both but I certainly won't be mad if they draft the first dangerous back we've had in over a decade.

Of course you’re more likely to draft a quality RB than a quality OL at 23 or 34. OL, particularly RT, are premium positions and RB is not.

But if you draft the right OL at 23 or 34, he could end up a starter for a decade.

A RB is not likely to be on your team beyond his rookie deal. 

No one should be pulling for the team to make “safe”, bust-preventative choices.  That’s how you end up with a team full of non-impact players. Like the one we’ve seen on the field the last decade.

Douglas is an OL guy and his very first pick here, an OT, looks like it wil work out.  As you say he needs to weigh his options.  But ultimately one of those 2 picks at 23 or 34 need to turn into an OL upgrade, especially if he can up trade up or down from either of those spots to make it happen. 

• Upvote 1

Ty Johnson, Josh Adams, Tevin Coleman and Lamicheal Perine are more than solid in my opinion.  I would not even look at running back until our second 3rd rounder or later.   People forget we also have two firsts and two seconds next year. Fix the offensive line, get that edge if one falls, same for cornerback, perhaps another linebacker late.  I would also rather us take a Brevin Jordan TE or Dwayne Eskridge WR in the third or fourth round than a running back.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Ty Johnson, Josh Adams, Tevin Coleman and Lamicheal Perine are more than solid in my opinion.  I would not even look at running back until our second 3rd rounder or later.   People forget we also have two firsts and two seconds next year. Fix the offensive line, get that edge if one falls, same for cornerback, perhaps another linebacker late.  I would also rather us take a Brevin Jordan TE or Dwayne Eskridge WR in the third or fourth round than a running back.
A regular Hall of Heroes there ... thus group is weak ... only guy that showed any kick was Ty ... the rest were JAGS or worse.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Fournette signed with TB and won a Super Bowl 

The last 2 SB winners used cast-off RBs in their SB run.  

The only 1st round pick at RB that won a SB with the team that drafted him in the last decade was Sony Michel.

6 minutes ago, adb280z said:

The last 2 SB winners used cast-off RBs in their SB run.  

The only 1st round pick at RB that won a SB with the team that drafted him in the last decade was Sony Michel.

Correct. 

Ronald Jones was drafted by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the second round with the 38th overall pick in the 2018 NFL Draft.

Pick #34 is a 2nd round pick if we draft a RB there and not at #23. 

• Upvote 1

The a good team picking after 23, that already has a decent OL, WRs, and QB, picking a RB can make a lot of sense.  Imagine if a team like the Bills or Ravens had Najee Harris locked up for 5 years?  Then you let him walk.  

For the Jets, they have too many holes.  They are literally missing 2 Gs, 2 CBs and 2 LBs.  Then we can discuss upgrades and players missing in 2022.  They should not draft a RB high, if at all.  

10 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

Najee Harris reminds me of Derrick Henry.  Titans got lucky to get Henry in the 2nd.  A RB at 23 would not be a bad call.  

I don't think it's a bad call as a rule, so much as it depends who's making that pick. 

The Jets are a team with far more pressing needs, and it's extremely rare for a RB to be a building block rather than an asset that makes everyone else better. Further, the presumed Jets' ground game is predicated on speed more than being an overall Superman. So even if the player pans out, the team is probably better off going in another direction if he's any less than another Henry.

The other problem is they get hurt so easily and so often that it's a double-shot against taking a RB early: high injury frequency and short career.

If the team is (unlike the Jets right now) filling its last few holes, and RB is one of them, then it can be a great pickup since his first year or two (a sizable chunk of his productive years) won't be wasted on a rebuilding team. 

9 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Bell was done by the time he got here.  Old RB's that were once good isn't what we're talking about here.

A back like ETN or Harris would be impactful for this offense.  Certainly more than any CB.

Well a FB would also be more impactful for the offense than a CB as well. At #23 I'd take a CB over a FB 1000x out of 1000 no matter how bad my offense was.

Bell sucked because he had a combo of too little caring once he got paid, got fat & lazy, and played for the first time without his elite run-blocking line. He wasn't at all old; he was 27 ffs and played just 4.5 seasons in Pittsburgh. He hadn't taken more hits/punishment the prior year after holding out, which would've negated however-many carries he had in his last 2 years in Pittsburgh if he kept in shape after getting paid. 

27 is the same age, with the same cumulative NFL carries, as Derrick Henry right now. Plus Bell wasn't coming off back-to-back seasons of a hair-under 400 carries like Henry (including the playoffs, Henry had 386 and 396 carries in '19 and '20 respectively).

He sucked for multiple reasons, but being old wasn't one of them. 

8 hours ago, Jets0712 said:

I may be in minority here but. Without gase force feeding gore all game. With a better o line,I really think Adams & Johnson can give the Jets a great 1-2 punch. When given limited opportunities they did it last year with an anemic offense

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Ty Johnson has potential but we need desperately to upgrade this offensive line

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

Najee Harris reminds me of Derrick Henry.  Titans got lucky to get Henry in the 2nd.  A RB at 23 would not be a bad call.  

They're not even the same type of runners. Henry is faster and a much more powerful runner. Harris doesn't run with the power you would expect someone his size to run. He's more of a slasher and is probably a better pass catcher than Henry was coming out of college

Only thing they have in common is that they went to Bama, have dreads, and wear #22

Edited by JETSxWRATH™
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Well a FB would also be more impactful for the offense than a CB as well. At #23 I'd take a CB over a FB 1000x out of 1000 no matter how bad my offense was.

Bell sucked because he had a combo of too little caring once he got paid, got fat & lazy, and played for the first time without his elite run-blocking line. He wasn't at all old; he was 27 ffs and played just 4.5 seasons in Pittsburgh. He hadn't taken more hits/punishment the prior year after holding out, which would've negated however-many carries he had in his last 2 years in Pittsburgh if he kept in shape after getting paid. 

27 is the same age, with the same cumulative NFL carries, as Derrick Henry right now. Plus Bell wasn't coming off back-to-back seasons of a hair-under 400 carries like Henry (including the playoffs, Henry had 386 and 396 carries in '19 and '20 respectively).

He sucked for multiple reasons, but being old wasn't one of them. 

First. If there was a FB worthy of being taken at 23 or 34 then they should take him over any defensive player.  

Second.  It is because he got old.  He lost whatever quick twitch he ever had. Playing his style there were holes to be hit, he just didn’t have the quickness to get through them. Or the few times he did, there was no burst there - at all.  

I’m sure sitting out a year didn’t help him, but that quickness he had was gone.  
Some guys age differently,  I’ve seen plenty of RB’s done by 28 and sone into their 30’s.  I know you know players age differently. At the skill positions It’s about losing explosiveness.  
And yes, of course the OL being sh*tty added to his awfulness.  But he was the same guy in KC.  

While it's a low value position a RB who can block, catch and get you yards in the running game sets up everything in the play action passing game.   A running back who can take a swing pass and get you 3 to 5 extra yards in space is worth field position.  

Running backs like Adrian Peterson who can't catch or block who you're building your O around aren't as valuable as they once were.  He's almost useless as a safety valve and he's a liability in play action because he won't make a block on an inside rusher when the QB has his back turned.   Great back running the ball but obsolete today.  

A running back who does the dirty work blocking on play action, can take a swing pass and make the first guy miss and can run hard inside and outside still has huge value to a NFL O today.  Durability which also ties into a first year deal of 4 years makes it a high risk pick based on the potential for dead money on their contracts.  That doesn't mean they aren't a critical part of winning football games. 

I really beleve they aren't being taken in the first round because teams don't want to be locked in for 4 years based on injury potential.

2 hours ago, JETSxWRATH™ said:

They're not even the same type of runners. Henry is faster and a much more powerful runner. Harris doesn't run with the power you would expect someone his size to run. He's more of a slasher and is probably a better pass catcher than Henry was coming out of college

Only thing they have in common is that they went to Bama, have dreads, and wear #22

https://cfbcomparisons.com/derrick-henry-vs-najee-harris-college-comparison/

you are right, Harris is better

18 hours ago, adb280z said:

I'd rather see the Jets taking a WR like Marshall, Rondale Moore or Bateman in the early 2nd than any of the RBs.

Our offensive line is still bad and we need Wr depth.  We are another Mims injury away from giving Zach Wilson a similarly awful WR group

Etienne is going in Rd.1, Harris early Rd 2. 

This is typical of a lot of drafts as of late. There's nothing new or special here. The RB position has been devalued in the draft for some time now. However, successful RBs in the NFL are still ones taken in the earlier half of the draft and they still impact the game tremendously. Especially the superstar RBs like Kamara, Barkley, Zeke, Henry, McCaffrey. All high draft picks- 1st/2nd round (Kamara Rd. 3). 

• Post of the Week 1

Question #1:  Who is our most valuable player?

Answer:  The QB.

Question #2:  What is the very best way to support a young QB from a small school?

Answer:  The very best O-line and Running Game possible in a system designed to max his skills and protect him.

Question #3:  But what about muh Defense?  Don't we need and edge, or 4 edges, or ALL THE EDGES!!!!

Answer:  No.  You got your edge in FA, his name is Carl Lawson, and he cost us 3 years/$45 million.  That is your big edge move.  

It's time to stop peddling the Robbie Anderson school of Offensive Skill Player Acquisition.  No, 4th, 7th and UDFA types are never going to be good enough to help us crawl out of the cellar of Offensive rankings.  No, continuing the Rex Ryan All Defense thinking is not going to work.

For once, we need to do the smart thing when we draft a QB, and actually BUILD around him with legit talent, not afterthought mid-rounders and journeymen free agent castoffs.

The NFL is an Offensive League.  For once, maybe for the first time sine the 80's, lets actually build a real, legit, Offense.

• Post of the Week 2

5 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

First. If there was a FB worthy of being taken at 23 or 34 then they should take him over any defensive player.  

Second.  It is because he got old.  He lost whatever quick twitch he ever had. Playing his style there were holes to be hit, he just didn’t have the quickness to get through them. Or the few times he did, there was no burst there - at all.  

I’m sure sitting out a year didn’t help him, but that quickness he had was gone.  
Some guys age differently,  I’ve seen plenty of RB’s done by 28 and sone into their 30’s.  I know you know players age differently. At the skill positions It’s about losing explosiveness.  
And yes, of course the OL being sh*tty added to his awfulness.  But he was the same guy in KC.  

My point is being 27, after resting up fully healthy for his entire age-26 season, is not old. 

He'd checked out and didn't have the luxury of Pittsburgh's OL plus a QB that kept an extra guy or two out of the box. Those were was his problems, not his age. 

16 minutes ago, slats said:

Lol, yeah, Fournette was the straw that stirred that drink alright. 

Leonard Fournette 2020 Super Bowl Game Stats 

Rushing        16 carries    89 yards  1 TD 

Receiving      4 catches   46 yards 

Id say he contributed in the win and helped stir the drink.