The value of a 1st Round RB has never been lower...

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A RB in the first 2 rounds would be a gross mismanagement of resources, forget it

yeah, IMO one of, or both of the RB's could be there at 34. In my mind I would like to see the Jets go Wilson, OT (Teven Jenkins?) to be kicked inside at Guard this year. When 34 came, if ei

The value is low but a real good back can make your team. No one can tell me that tennessee would be any factor without henry, that Indy last year would be near the team without their young back,

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

What does this prove? that Harris had better college stats?

We'll just ignore that Henry shared carries with guys like Yieldon and Drake his first couple years at Bama. When he got a chance to be the feature back he won a heisman

21 hours ago, Jethead said:

Would cheer if Jets take RB at 34, especially if they go OL at 23, but even if they go Edge at 23 and OL at 66. Harris and Etienne are both top tier. I would pick Etienne, but be happy with either.

It really feels like next year's Draft (2022) is the time where the Jets could consider taking a RB so high.  Too much other work to do right now in the trenches and even at the premium spots on D like Edge rushers.  If the OLine was at least average and the defense had already been stood up by Saleh with competent guys in all the key places rather than being in Year 1, I'd say sure, take an elite RB if he drops to into the Jets lap.

But the idea of putting a rookie QB and a rookie RB behind the NFL's 29th ranked offensive line feels like negligence.

• Upvote 3

Red flags should go up when everyone falls in love with the same guys they all saw in the BCS championship games. We keep hearing "I want Harris" or "I want Etienne" or even Trey Sermon. 

Don't get me wrong. They are all good RB prospects, but they aren't significantly more talented than the likes of Javonte Williams and Michael Carter, but since those guys played for UNC many here don't even know they exist. I can even make the case that if Chris Evans, from Michigan, had played at Bama or OSU he would be the one everyone would be falling in love, but since he played in an inept offense he is being disregarded. 

And for every big time bama back that makes it, like Derrick Henry, you all seem to forget Trent Richardsons and TJ yeldon's that were BELOVED by many. 

3 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

I really want us to take Harris or Etienne.  The only question is where.

Wherever he'd be available will be too early.  No team with a bad roster should be taking a RB anywhere in the first 50 picks. 

19 hours ago, Warfish said:

Question #1:  Who is our most valuable player?

Answer:  The QB.

Question #2:  What is the very best way to support a young QB from a small school?

Answer:  The very best O-line and Running Game possible in a system designed to max his skills and protect him.

Question #3:  But what about muh Defense?  Don't we need and edge, or 4 edges, or ALL THE EDGES!!!!

Answer:  No.  You got your edge in FA, his name is Carl Lawson, and he cost us 3 years/$45 million.  That is your big edge move.  

It's time to stop peddling the Robbie Anderson school of Offensive Skill Player Acquisition.  No, 4th, 7th and UDFA types are never going to be good enough to help us crawl out of the cellar of Offensive rankings.  No, continuing the Rex Ryan All Defense thinking is not going to work.

For once, we need to do the smart thing when we draft a QB, and actually BUILD around him with legit talent, not afterthought mid-rounders and journeymen free agent castoffs.

The NFL is an Offensive League.  For once, maybe for the first time sine the 80's, lets actually build a real, legit, Offense.

One of my favorite posts of the year. And 100% true. EDGE part had me in hysterics it is so on point. I swear if I was JD I would draft ALL offense this year. Lets face it -they all would be favored to make the team. 

On 4/19/2021 at 11:33 AM, joewilly12 said:

TB got a deal cheap price to pay for a Super Bowl trophy. 

Fournette was not the reason they won that game.

If he had value in the league he'd have gotten a much bigger contract.

4 minutes ago, adb280z said:

Fournette contributed in the win football is a team sport. 

Leonard Fournette 2020 Super Bowl Game Stats 

Rushing        16 carries    89 yards  1 TD 

Receiving      4 catches   46 yards 

On 4/21/2021 at 10:08 PM, joewilly12 said:

Fournette contributed in the win football is a team sport. 

Leonard Fournette 2020 Super Bowl Game Stats 

Rushing        16 carries    89 yards  1 TD 

Receiving      4 catches   46 yards 

Obviously he contributed, he had a good game.  He's not really valued by the league.

1 minute ago, adb280z said:

Obviously he contributed, he had a good game.  He's not really valued by the league.

Football is a team sport. 

Any QB and offense benefits from a solid running game. 

The RB position is an important part of the offense. 

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

So is the kicker.

This important: 

2021 Franchise and Transition Tenders

Position Franchise Tag Transition Tag
QB $25,104,000 $23,106,000
DE $16,069,000 $12,926,000
WR $15,983,000 $14,340,000
CB $15,060,000 $13,294,000
LB $14,791,000 $12,716,000
DT $13,888,000 $11,752,000
OL $13,754,000 $12,657,000
S $10,612,000 $9,052,000
TE $9,601,000 $8,182,000
RB $8,655,000 $7,217,000
ST $4,482,000 $4,068,000
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, slats said:

This important: 

2021 Franchise and Transition Tenders

Position Franchise Tag Transition Tag
QB $25,104,000 $23,106,000
DE $16,069,000 $12,926,000
WR $15,983,000 $14,340,000
CB $15,060,000 $13,294,000
LB $14,791,000 $12,716,000
DT $13,888,000 $11,752,000
OL $13,754,000 $12,657,000
S $10,612,000 $9,052,000
TE $9,601,000 $8,182,000
RB $8,655,000 $7,217,000
ST $4,482,000 $4,068,000

The NY Jets offense that has been struggling to score points and more importantly win games can only benefit with a decent RB. 

They will contribute to the success hopefully of yet another QB. 

How much of a help was old re-tread JAG  Frank Gore to Sam Darold last season. 

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The NY Jets offense that has been struggling to score points and more importantly win games can only benefit with a decent RB. 

They will contribute to the success hopefully of yet another QB. 

How much of a help was old re-tread JAG  Frank Gore to Sam Darold last season. 

Frank Gore and his enabler are no longer with the franchise. 

A GM using a premium pick on literally (in the literal sense of the word) the least valuable position in the league that isn't exclusively a special teamer shouldn't be a firable offense, it should be a firing squad offense. 

• Upvote 1
Just now, slats said:

Frank Gore and his enabler are no longer with the franchise. 

A GM using a premium pick on literally (in the literal sense of the word) the least valuable position in the league that isn't exclusively a special teamer shouldn't be a firable offense, it should be a firing squad offense. 

In 6 days we see what JD can do in the draft to rebuild this roster. 

Neither you or I can change the course of action he has planned. 

In 6 days we see what JD can do in the draft to rebuild this roster. 

Neither you or I can change the course of action he has planned. 

Right.  And I can comfortably guarantee you that his plan does not include drafting a RB at 23 or 34.  That part will also be unalterable.

On 4/21/2021 at 10:03 PM, adb280z said:

Young kids will be looking at CB, LB or S the way things are going. You need to be tall to be WR, QB. DEFENSE is the way to make money

41 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Right.  And I can comfortably guarantee you that his plan does not include drafting a RB at 23 or 34.  That part will also be unalterable.

We shall soon see. 

Whatever it is so be it. 

It will be very interesting to see what Joe D does if he goes Wilson at 2, oline at 23 and then Etienne is sitting there at 34.  He is a homerun threat that could make this offense dynamic and obviously help take pressure of the young qb..

• Upvote 1

I mean the smart play with these guys is to take them, use them at their peak for cheap and let them walk. Never works out that way as fans fall in love with the guy and they get paid. Seen it with Kamara and CMC recently. You’ll see it with Dalvin Cook next. 

I don’t think Douglas will pull the trigger but if a guy like Ettine is sitting there at 34 a day after you got Wilson and an OL I have to admit I’d be excited to get him even though it’s probably not the smartest move. The team hasn’t had a home run hitting back in ages and it’d bring some excitement to the offense finally. 

• Upvote 1
16 minutes ago, Bay Ridge Jet said:

I mean the smart play with these guys is to take them, use them at their peak for cheap and let them walk. Never works out that way as fans fall in love with the guy and they get paid. Seen it with Kamara and CMC recently. You’ll see it with Dalvin Cook next. 

I don’t think Douglas will pull the trigger but if a guy like Ettine is sitting there at 34 a day after you got Wilson and an OL I have to admit I’d be excited to get him even though it’s probably not the smartest move. The team hasn’t had a home run hitting back in ages and it’d bring some excitement to the offense finally. 

Stranger things have happened draft day involving the NY Jets. 

On 4/18/2021 at 1:26 PM, joewilly12 said:

Yes understood Saleh and those RB's got to the Super Bowl and they lost. 

I thought we were trying to win a Super Bowl here. 

On 4/18/2021 at 1:29 PM, QB1 said:

Really? That SB was a coin flip. For all intents that was a championship caliber team... 

Yeah, I'd most definitely sign up for being as good as that Niners team...

10 hours ago, Bay Ridge Jet said:

I feel the exact same way.  Honestly, with Davis, mims and crowder, wr is not a pressing need this year.  And I dont believe there is a tight end good enough to use the 34th pick on.

So if we want to take an impact player on offense who provides immediate help, there is no one better at 34 then Ettienne.

On 4/20/2021 at 7:02 AM, johnnysd said:

One of my favorite posts of the year. And 100% true. EDGE part had me in hysterics it is so on point. I swear if I was JD I would draft ALL offense this year. Lets face it -they all would be favored to make the team. 

You really wouldn't, though. 

I fully sympathize with the goal of anything/everything for the new QB, but at least 2/3 of your "ALL offense" draft class would spend all or most of the season on the bench.

No coach or coordinator is starting 4+ rookies on the same side of the ball (let alone while a new offense is being installed). The only possible way any GM would employ this draft strategy is if the defense was already set and top-5ish, plus probably at least a couple of the next upcoming starter contracts due (after the season) were also on offense, and you didn't think you'd want to match. In that case, you wouldn't also want to then go FA-shopping nor would you want to leave that as a vacancy to pigeonhole yourself into drafting that position in the upcoming draft.

If you, as GM, deemed the offense this desperate you'd never "fix" it this way. You'd have shuffled a lot more with the veteran starters on that side of the ball (particularly on the OL). 

I've got no issues using 6 draft picks on offense, or even the first 2 (and depending on what the board looks like, maybe even the first 3). But even if we used 6 on offense it would not and should not be the first 6 right out of the gate (let alone 9 of 9).

This roster isn't good enough to purposely use 2+ of its day-2 and 2+ of its early day-3 picks (if not all of the day 3 picks) to draft backups and depth. Not when there are starter positions at least as needy on the other half of the ball.