Jump to content

Saleh interested in Sherman


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

mistake

100 year old vet you are too loyal too cause he was awesome sauce in your previous gig and if he starts to fail hesitance to stick his ass on the bench or cut him.

See Frank Gore

Frank gore wasn't awesome sauce in his previous gig

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One less draft pick to spend on defense. I'm in. 

mistake 100 year old vet you are too loyal too cause he was awesome sauce in your previous gig and if he starts to fail hesitance to stick his ass on the bench or cut him. See Frank Gore

D needs a leader with some attitude. 

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

mistake

100 year old vet you are too loyal too cause he was awesome sauce in your previous gig and if he starts to fail hesitance to stick his ass on the bench or cut him.

See Frank Gore

You don't see the difference between a vet who knows the system you are installing from scratch and is still playing at a high level and bringing in 37 year old Frank Gore in year 2 of your regime to play a position that doesn't require much in the way of systems knowledge to begin with?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

You don't see the difference between a vet who knows the system you are installing from scratch and is still playing at a high level and bringing in 37 year old Frank Gore in year 2 of your regime to play a position that doesn't require much in the way of systems knowledge to begin with?

There's an obvious difference, but it's a legit concern that a coach who pushed hard for one of "his" guys might not bench him even if he's playing poorly. Would it be better if the comparison was Bowles + Cromartie?

I do agree this CB group isn't enough to head into a 16-games season, though. Absent a sure-starter signing, I think Douglas is going to take a CB no later than day 2, and probably even if he does. With 2-3 high-hopes young guys already (Hall, Austin, Guidry) plus a rookie, Sherman's presence relegates one of them to the bench no matter how promising. Unless they can get him to agree to fake an injury, lol.

I think a desire to bring in Sherman flies in the face of sentiment that they're content with what they've got, but if it can alleviate pressure to take a corner much earlier this year, then that might have enough value right there. Hard to say without knowing how the draft goes down leading into our second pick.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It does? The only thing it's telling me is that Saleh is not satisfied with the CB corps the team has entering the draft, despite claims that this group is just fine because they're just playing zone. 

The problem with signing someone like Sherman is if he's not a huge hit he's a huge fail. He's going to keep younger guys on the bench, even if they might've been good enough to start, and - as @Beerfish points out - he's going to be nearly impossible to bench if Saleh pushes hard for his GM to go pick him up. It'll be like Bowles/Cromartie, or that's the concern, and it's a legit one at that. Oh, and it's a dead-end signing. 

If he's there to mentor then pay him $15MM off the salary cap to be the secondary coach for all I care. 

He's 33. That's not 36, but it's not 30 either, and he isn't exactly coming off a career year or getting better at this stage either. The hope is he isn't much worse. He's had a great career, but imo see who's there in the draft before pre-benching someone who might have an actual future here.

Well it's better then Ed Reed when he came to the Jets at 37 LOL

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Beerfish said:

mistake

100 year old vet you are too loyal too cause he was awesome sauce in your previous gig and if he starts to fail hesitance to stick his ass on the bench or cut him.

See Frank Gore

I don't think signing Sherman is at all the same as what happened with Gore last year. Sherman would be like an extra secondary coach on the field and would be a huge in helping our D transition to Saleh's system. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, freestater said:

One less draft pick to spend on defense.

I'm in. 

We should still draft a CB.  One of the reasons he’s still not signed is because everyone is waiting until after the draft.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Richard don't call me Dick Sherman.  He's probably toast.  He's very engaging and ammusing.  Worth over paying for.  Engaging and ammusing is very under rated on a bad football team. 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

If he can still outplay the kiddos, I welcome his addition. No way Douglas overpays and they could all learn a lot from a savvy old vet. If he can't keep them off the field then cut him before the season starts. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

it's a legit concern that a coach who pushed hard for one of "his" guys might not bench him even if he's playing poorly

So this is the point at which Saleh and JD may stand on opposite sides of the fence on a player. Hall & Austin played pretty well, Guidry didn’t do much statistically.  Poole had a good season & played with Ulbrich in Atlanta. I say Jets stand pat at CB but select one in draft & bring Poole back on a 1-2 year deal. Having JD nix the Sherman signing provides Saleh cover for not signing him. Great player for years who is very vocal.... let JD be the bad guy.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Suck w/ Sherman, suck w/out, not sure it makes a difference unless you think his presence is going to make a last difference when you cut him in 2022 for being toast.

Link to post
Share on other sites

i don't think this will impact what they do in the draft.  

at this juncture, i can't see any way the jets (or anyone for that matter) sign sherman before the draft.  once the smoke has cleared after the draft and teams evaluate their rosters, sherman (and the other unsigned vets) will find a home.  JD will draft the best players and fill the positions he sees fit, based on how his board is set up and how the draft unfolds.  he's not going to make, or not make, a pick because maybe he will be bringing in someone like sherman after the draft.  draft picks are about the next 4+ years (hopefully longer).  sherman is about the next 1-3 years.

i'd have no problem bringing him in.  while i'm in favor of seeing what the young guys can do, i'm also in favor of seeing the jets win games.  and if bringing in a stabilizer to the defense (which i think can be a good defense) helps wins games, i'm all for it.  if the kids are good enough, they will see the field.  sherman can still play, even if not at his prior all-pro caliber.  and he can help bring some swag to the backfield.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

There's an obvious difference, but it's a legit concern that a coach who pushed hard for one of "his" guys might not bench him even if he's playing poorly. Would it be better if the comparison was Bowles + Cromartie?

I do agree this CB group isn't enough to head into a 16-games season, though. Absent a sure-starter signing, I think Douglas is going to take a CB no later than day 2, and probably even if he does. With 2-3 high-hopes young guys already (Hall, Austin, Guidry) plus a rookie, Sherman's presence relegates one of them to the bench no matter how promising. Unless they can get him to agree to fake an injury, lol.

I think a desire to bring in Sherman flies in the face of sentiment that they're content with what they've got, but if it can alleviate pressure to take a corner much earlier this year, then that might have enough value right there. Hard to say without knowing how the draft goes down leading into our second pick.

That's a better comparison, so it all comes down to "how much does Douglas trust Saleh to play the best guys"

Also, I think when your secondary is all "high-hopes young guys" you want a vet to stabilize the group - you can't count on all of them panning out, though it would be great if they did. So a guy at Sherman's stage is actually ideal, in a way - he's capable of doing what you need him to do but not a long term block, in the way a guy like Nelson would be, if all of the young guys do develop. On the plus side, there's no reason you can't rotate Hall, Austin, and Sherm (if their play warrants it) and depth isn't a bad thing. 

I think your last paragraph has it exactly right, and it's why they're talking about this being an after-the-draft decision. If someone they have ranked as an elite CB falls to them at 23 or 34, and the value is significantly better than other prospects on their board, they'll take him. But they don't need to force a CB pick for need if this is a realistic backup plan

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is another way to look at it.

How do these CBs grade against prior drafts and NFL CBs generally?   My impression is that, at least several of the CBs are rated very high.

Last year the Chargers gave Kenneth Murray picked at 23 an average of $3.2mm/year.  What kind of FA older CB are the Jets signing for $3.2mm/year?   If Jenkins is gone at 23 (not unlikely) and Newsome is there, would it be worth locking him up for $3.2mm/year, rolling with Fant at T and then looking in the round 3 for more OL?  And not sign Steven Nelson or Richard Sherman for who knows how much?

In 2021 OT is not broken.   G is broken.  CB is broken.  LB is broken.  RB or WR are not broken.   EDGE is not broken.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think a Sherman and a round 3 corner can round out the cb crew nicely.  The young guys will learn from Sherman and there will be some young talent the staff can prioritize.  2022 draft I can see a more premium draft choice being used at cb as Sherman is less needed or potentially gone.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am highly in favor of this on the right type of contract. I don't want to pay him long-term guaranteed money, but I would accept a fairly salary for a short term 1-2 year deal. Signing Sherman provides a benefit of helping to institute the new defense to the secondary, provide leadership for the young CBs we already have and the new CB(s) we draft next week. Drafting a CB should be priority this year because Sherman's shelf life as a useful player is probably limited. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, David Harris said:

He can go into the HOF next to Ronnie Lott, Ed Reed and Art Monk (with a Jets asterisk)

Also next to an Old Darrell Revis with manboobs

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

 

 

Feels more like an educated guess than a report. This speculation has already been offered up here by myself and others. It makes a lot of sense. If they draft a CB high, it probably won't happen - especially if Sherman has too high of an asking price. I don't think they're gonna take a CB high, though. I think if they take defense high, it'll be for an Edge. If not Sherman, I expect one of the veteran CBs after the draft. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, slats said:

Feels more like an educated guess than a report. This speculation has already been offered up here by myself and others. It makes a lot of sense. If they draft a CB high, it probably won't happen - especially if Sherman has too high of an asking price. I don't think they're gonna take a CB high, though. I think if they take defense high, it'll be for an Edge. If not Sherman, I expect one of the veteran CBs after the draft. 

Saleh wants a CB at 23 maybe Newsome.  If newsome doesn’t fall Sherman is the backup plan

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not really interested in signing Sherman as a player....let's move on from these ancient vet signings.

Very interested in watching the saga of Sherman vs. the NY Media that will undoubtedly develop.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Disagree with the Gore comparison.  This isn't bringing Gore in to play with Bell.  This would be bringing a veteran presence that knows the system in to play with a bunch of no experience kids.  As far as sticking wtih him too long, I think he played at a higher level, and isn't some durable freak like Gore.  Don't worry about riding him too long.  He'll probably get hurt.  The fact that they haven't done it yet means that either other teams are interested or they are cognizant that the money may be better used elsewhere and will be smart about any deal.  I have no problems wtih this tweet, even if it is just a ploy to get Sherman's agent thinking. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Disagree with the Gore comparison.  This isn't bringing Gore in to play with Bell.  This would be bringing a vertan presence that knows the system in to play with a bunch of no experience kids.  As far as sticking wtih him too long, I think he played at a higher level, and isn't some durable freak like Gore.  Don't worry about riding him too long.  He'll probably get hurt.  The fact that they haven't done it yet means that either other teams are interested or they are cogniznat that the money may be better used elsewhere and will be smart about any deal.  I have no problems wtih this tweet.  Even if it is just a ploy to get Sherman's agent thinking. 

Signing Sherman to be our #1 cover corner might actually be an even worse mistake than Gase making a 40 yr old Gore our featured back

 

If I’m an opposing QB and I have a Stefan Diggs or Davante Parker with Sherman lined up man to man guess where I’m going

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Signing Sherman to be our #1 cover corner might actually be an even worse mistake than Gase making a 40 yr old Gore our featured back

 

If I’m an opposing QB and I have a Stefan Diggs or Davante Parker with Sherman lined up man to man guess where I’m going

Greg Williams be gone. Don't think Saleh and Ulbrich have any intention of leaving Diggs in single coverage.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jethead said:

Greg Williams be gone. Don't think Saleh and Ulbrich have any intention of leaving Diggs in single coverage.

You can only play soft zone for so long

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...