Top 10 OL in draft according to NY Post reporter

https://nypost.com/2021/04/18/2021-nfl-draft-the-top-10-offensive-linemen/

The Post’s Ryan Dunleavy gives his top 10 offensive linemen in this year’s NFL draft, based on evaluations and conversations with people around the league:

1. OT Penei Sewell, Oregon, 6-5, 331 lbs.: Three first-round tackles played well as Day One starters last season — and Sewell would’ve been picked ahead of all of them. Powerful upper body and nimble feet. One sack allowed on 1,376 career snaps.
  2. OT/OG Rashawn Slater, Northwestern, 6-4, 304 lbs.: Some say he should move to guard because he has short arms and the athleticism to pull. He says he’s the best tackle in the draft. That perceived slight should only add to his nastiness.
  3. OG Alijah Vera-Tucker, USC, 6-5, 308 lbs.: Played left tackle last season but is considered a future All-Pro guard, maybe closer to Pro Bowler Brandon Scherff than Hall of Fame-track Quenton Nelson. Wins with his hands.
  4. OT Christian Darrisaw, Virginia Tech, 6-5, 322 lbs.: Only one FBS scholarship offer out of high school. Smooth technique throughout his career at left tackle (35 starts) and answered some questions about his inconsistent effort in 2020.
  5. OT Teven Jenkins, Oklahoma State, 6-6, 317 lbs.: Prototypical NFL frame with good tape at the four non-center positions (mostly right tackle). Wouldn’t win the Combine Olympics because of short arms, but handles a bull rush.
  6. OT/OG Jalen Mayfield, Michigan, 6-5, 326 lbs.: Played in just 18 games, including two last season, so this is a pick based on potential. You can’t teach his toughness, but he is going to need to be taught some fundamentals.
  7. OT Dillon Raduz, North Dakota State, 6-4, 301 lbs.: Played under an increased spotlight because of quarterback Trey Lance. Better run-blocker than pass-protector but earned Practice Player of the Week honors at the Senior Bowl.
  8. C Landon Dickerson, Alabama, 6-6, 333 lbs.: Rimington Trophy winner as the best center in the nation in his one season after transferring from Florida State. Advanced-level technique but coming off an ACL injury in SEC title game.
  9. OT Liam Eichenberg, Notre Dame 6-6, 302 lbs.: Three-year starter at left tackle, following in the footsteps of Mike McGlinchey, Ronnie Stanley and Zack Martin since 2010. Considered a safe second-round pick who will be a longtime starter.
  10. OG Wyatt Davis, Ohio State, 6-4, 315 lbs: Grandson of Hall of Famer Willie Davis, Wyatt often is described as a “people-mover.” Could really shine in a power-based rushing attack, but he’s almost too eager for contact as plays develop.

Late Riser

OT Sam Cosmi, Texas, 6-6, 314 lbs.: Scouts say he moves like a big tight end (he scored a catch-and-run touchdown) in open space. Critics say he is penalized too often and is too reliant on technique to physically dominate.

Falling Fast

OT James Hudson, Cincinnati, 6-5, 310 lbs.: Began his career as a defensive lineman at Michigan, but the transfer and position change both worked out. Some bad lower-body habits that will require extra one-on-one coaching.

Small-School Wonder

C Quinn Meinerz, Wisconsin-Whitewater, 6-3, 320: It seems a NCAA Division III offensive lineman stands out at the Senior Bowl and becomes a Day 2 pick every year. Scouts love his toughness, work ethic and textbook low center of gravity.

image.gif

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

22 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

https://nypost.com/2021/04/18/2021-nfl-draft-the-top-10-offensive-linemen/

The Post’s Ryan Dunleavy gives his top 10 offensive linemen in this year’s NFL draft, based on evaluations and conversations with people around the league:

1. OT Penei Sewell, Oregon, 6-5, 331 lbs.: Three first-round tackles played well as Day One starters last season — and Sewell would’ve been picked ahead of all of them. Powerful upper body and nimble feet. One sack allowed on 1,376 career snaps.
  2. OT/OG Rashawn Slater, Northwestern, 6-4, 304 lbs.: Some say he should move to guard because he has short arms and the athleticism to pull. He says he’s the best tackle in the draft. That perceived slight should only add to his nastiness.
  3. OG Alijah Vera-Tucker, USC, 6-5, 308 lbs.: Played left tackle last season but is considered a future All-Pro guard, maybe closer to Pro Bowler Brandon Scherff than Hall of Fame-track Quenton Nelson. Wins with his hands.
  4. OT Christian Darrisaw, Virginia Tech, 6-5, 322 lbs.: Only one FBS scholarship offer out of high school. Smooth technique throughout his career at left tackle (35 starts) and answered some questions about his inconsistent effort in 2020.
  5. OT Teven Jenkins, Oklahoma State, 6-6, 317 lbs.: Prototypical NFL frame with good tape at the four non-center positions (mostly right tackle). Wouldn’t win the Combine Olympics because of short arms, but handles a bull rush.
  6. OT/OG Jalen Mayfield, Michigan, 6-5, 326 lbs.: Played in just 18 games, including two last season, so this is a pick based on potential. You can’t teach his toughness, but he is going to need to be taught some fundamentals.
  7. OT Dillon Raduz, North Dakota State, 6-4, 301 lbs.: Played under an increased spotlight because of quarterback Trey Lance. Better run-blocker than pass-protector but earned Practice Player of the Week honors at the Senior Bowl.
  8. C Landon Dickerson, Alabama, 6-6, 333 lbs.: Rimington Trophy winner as the best center in the nation in his one season after transferring from Florida State. Advanced-level technique but coming off an ACL injury in SEC title game.
  9. OT Liam Eichenberg, Notre Dame 6-6, 302 lbs.: Three-year starter at left tackle, following in the footsteps of Mike McGlinchey, Ronnie Stanley and Zack Martin since 2010. Considered a safe second-round pick who will be a longtime starter.
  10. OG Wyatt Davis, Ohio State, 6-4, 315 lbs: Grandson of Hall of Famer Willie Davis, Wyatt often is described as a “people-mover.” Could really shine in a power-based rushing attack, but he’s almost too eager for contact as plays develop.

Late Riser

OT Sam Cosmi, Texas, 6-6, 314 lbs.: Scouts say he moves like a big tight end (he scored a catch-and-run touchdown) in open space. Critics say he is penalized too often and is too reliant on technique to physically dominate.

Falling Fast

OT James Hudson, Cincinnati, 6-5, 310 lbs.: Began his career as a defensive lineman at Michigan, but the transfer and position change both worked out. Some bad lower-body habits that will require extra one-on-one coaching.

Small-School Wonder

C Quinn Meinerz, Wisconsin-Whitewater, 6-3, 320: It seems a NCAA Division III offensive lineman stands out at the Senior Bowl and becomes a Day 2 pick every year. Scouts love his toughness, work ethic and textbook low center of gravity.

image.gif

Surprised Davis is so low on the list. I was hoping he would be there at 23.

What happened to Leatherwood? He was projected as a first rounder last year until he opted to stay in school.

1 hour ago, varjet said:

Don't be surprised if JD looks for one of these guys to fall to 66 and focuses on other positions at 23 and 34.  

I don't think he'll go OL at BOTH 23 and 34, but he likely uses one of those picks.  I agree about 66, that could be a good spot for a potential RT.  I also wouldn't be shocked if the Jets traded up from 66 into the 50's to grab a RT prospect.

Could see the first 4 picks like..... QB (2), OL (23), best available WR/Edge (34), OL (66 or earlier by trading up into the 2nd round).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, varjet said:

Don't be surprised if JD looks for one of these guys to fall to 66 and focuses on other positions at 23 and 34.  

Umm yeah lets take EDGE and CB (two of the riskiest picks to draft) and pass on all the top lineman (least risky picks) when we need to protect Zach at all costs. Seems to be an awesome plan!!

• Upvote 3

I think C/OG will be JD's focus.  He seems ok with Fant at RT.  If so, he could wait until 3rd round and still get an excellent interior OL.

It also depends on what the Jets think about Cameron Clark.  Jury is still waaaaayyyy out on him.

Maybe an OG/C in round 2-3 and a developmental player in later rounds.

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, addage said:

I think C/OG will be JD's focus.  He seems ok with Fant at RT.  If so, he could wait until 3rd round and still get an excellent interior OL.

It also depends on what the Jets think about Cameron Clark.  Jury is still waaaaayyyy out on him.

Maybe an OG/C in round 2-3 and a developmental player in later rounds.

My hopes were high for Clark. I lack the insight to comprehend how he never saw the field for even one snap. Either he’s terrible or Gase’s penchant for playing favorites extended to the O line. 

If Clark progressed it changes a lot. Draft a C, move Mcgovern to G and upgrade at RT if a guy falls to us.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

I agree, but Humphrey wasn't even on that list...which makes me consider who valuable the list is a whole. 

Creed is the #1 C in the draft. Dickerson has more sheer power and talent, but a checkered injury history.  Creed is the total package.  Great technician, smart at line calling and switching, tough, tenacious, etc. Loads of intangibles that you like in a C.

The only really knocks I'm seeing on him are that he's not a super "athlete" and he rarely pancakes anyone, so he doesn't absolutely blow guys away.  But the guy supposedly gave up 0 sacks his entire college career. 

He'd be a tremendous pick at 34 for the Jets, but some team in the late first might very well nab him if the Jets don't.  I don't think the Jets take him at 23, but I'll be very happy if they do. The Jets need someone to captain the new line.

And again, if the Jets draft a new C, they move McGovern to G and improve two spots on the line with one pick! Let's get the next Mangold!

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

There's a perception that we must draft an OL to upgrade the position immediately when in reality we must draft OL more so for the future. Not sure why there's this unrealistic expectation that a rookie OL will come into the league as a average to above average player to block for a rookie QB of all players. Right now Fant is an below to average high priced player. I think we should definitely focus on drafting his successor as his $10.6M cap hit in 2022 is premium pay for a RT of his caliber. Connor McGovern at $9.3M is also an overpay. 

Teven Jenkins and Liam Eichenberg are two tall, lean and agile targets that I'll target to play RT.

Alijah Vera-Tucker is a good read up (scouting report), however when watching him I've notice he's very vulnerable is pass protection on the edge. More so a guard.

In the mid-rounds we should target C Meyers from OSU. It's nothing special about this guy. He just gets the job done and isnangreat scheme fit. His teammate Davis is a beast.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I don't think he'll go OL at BOTH 23 and 34, but he likely uses one of those picks.  I agree about 66, that could be a good spot for a potential RT.  I also wouldn't be shocked if the Jets traded up from 66 into the 50's to grab a RT prospect.

Could see the first 4 picks like..... QB (2), OL (23), best available WR/Edge (34), OL (66 or earlier by trading up into the 2nd round).

I think it's more likely to be the reverse. 66 is prob. too late to grab a RT prospect. I'd be using 23 or 34 on one. Realistically to play RG and groom for RT next year (Jenkins/Cosmi/and maybe Radunz fir that). At 66 it is easier to find a guard or center only prospect. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SayNoToDMC said:

Makes you realize what a massive black hole Becton is on the line. Looked comically large last year oit there with the rest of our line. He's got 30+ pounds on everyone listed. If we can just keep him healthy

If this dude drops to 66 (or JD trades around to get him) stick him next to Becton and pray they stay healthy.  Holy S**t OMG!!

image.jpeg.800424851c834f55d141a2c430a420cb.jpeg

10 minutes ago, doublel9 said:

If this dude drops to 66 (or JD trades around to get him) stick him next to Becton and pray they stay healthy.  Holy S**t OMG!!

image.jpeg.800424851c834f55d141a2c430a420cb.jpeg

Great physical tools but not a scheme fit. We just need guys who are lean and nimble on their feet to wall off defenders. Trey Smith is better suited for a smash mouth scheme. He's just as big as the DTs in front of him. Then again Becton is just as big however his college film proved his reaching ability despite being 350lbs. He'll (Becton) definitely have to get leaner this season. 

7 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

The most important part of the OL "lists" and rankings these days that's being ignored is scheme fit.  It's the reason James Carpenter didn't work out here despite being a very good OG.  The Jets need mobile, athletic zone-blocking OLinemen.  These are guys who can pull, who can get out into space and pick off a LBer on the second level.  We don't want man/power blocking types who, even if they're strong bulldozer types, can only operate in small spaces by blowing guys off the ball.

From that standpoint, only certain guys are a truly good fit.

I wonder if Dickerson is a fit. He seems to be a plug and play guy

1 hour ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

There's a perception that we must draft an OL to upgrade the position immediately when in reality we must draft OL more so for the future. Not sure why there's this unrealistic expectation that a rookie OL will come into the league as a average to above average player to block for a rookie QB of all players. Right now Fant is an below to average high priced player. I think we should definitely focus on drafting his successor as his $10.6M cap hit in 2022 is premium pay for a RT of his caliber. Connor McGovern at $9.3M is also an overpay. 

Teven Jenkins and Liam Eichenberg are two tall, lean and agile targets that I'll target to play RT.

Alijah Vera-Tucker is a good read up (scouting report), however when watching him I've notice he's very vulnerable is pass protection on the edge. More so a guard.

In the mid-rounds we should target C Meyers from OSU. It's nothing special about this guy. He just gets the job done and isnangreat scheme fit. His teammate Davis is a beast.

Like it or not, last year the Jets offensive line was among the worst in the NFL.  Like it or not, we must look to upgrade the position immediately, or allow Wilson to get killed and fail, before he ever has a chance to succeed.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Great physical tools but not a scheme fit. We just need guys who are lean and nimble on their feet to wall off defenders. Trey Smith is better suited for a smash mouth scheme. He's just as big as the DTs in front of him. Then again Becton is just as big however his college film proved his reaching ability despite being 350lbs. He'll (Becton) definitely have to get leaner this season. 

Gotta disagree. 9.91RAS 11th best All-Time for OG. Health is only, albeit huge, issue.

https://m.facebook.com/4ourmanrush/?__tn__=%2Cg

If Sewell is sitting there at #8 I'd like a trade up from #23, our first 3rd #66 and a 5th #146 or 6th #186 to finish the package.

I don't know how this works out in terms of the draft chart value.

We need to come away with a top level G/T  (AVT and Tevin Jenkins) on the OL and if JD has to part with picks to trade up, so be it. Picks by themselves are worthless unless the GM can turn them into above average players.

• WTF? 1