Alex Smith retires

ryu79

Probably for the best. Lots of respect for him the way he came back, but its not worth risking his future.  I saw an article stating that he earned $160 million in his career.  I would never has guessed it was that much, but good for him.

6 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

I'd been hoping he would be our old head back up for Zach or Fields like he was for Mahomes. Dissappointed we didnt pull that off or he wasn't up for it.  Def need some veteran guidance in that QB room...

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CN2j9LohMi4/?igshid=1fmq2ob75ds8k

He wasn't Mahomes backup he was the starter then he went to the Skins the next year. Chad Henne was Mahomes backup QB when Mahomes started in his second year..

6 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

He wasn't Mahomes backup he was the starter then he went to the Skins the next year. Chad Henne was Mahomes backup QB when Mahomes started in his second year..

Either way, he was in the QB room with Mahomes and was setting example for Mahomes in his first training camp, etc. 

• Upvote 1

I agree with the sentiments of everybody here, but I wouldn't be surprised when some starters go down if he signs on the way Cutler did with Miami.  Not much reason for the guy to uproot his family for a lower tier backup job, but if the right situation opens up it might make sense.  The Bradford deal to Minnesota also comes to mind.

13 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Good.  

What he did last year was special, amazing even, but he doesn't belong in the NFL anymore, not with his high health risk levels.  

I'm glad he's doing the right thing, retire, enjoy your millions, executive produce your inevitable Disney bio film, be with your family, and maybe, just maybe, he'll still be able to walk and think in ten years.

Jamal probably only player relieved by this.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

I give him credit for using the motivation of playing again to rehab and actually give himself a future taking walks with his wife and kids.  He has made 189 million in career earnings and he can still walk.   The idea that he wanted to start again in the NFL was insanely stupid.  

It's amazing how playing pro-sports is like an addictive drug to these guys.   I'm glad he finally came to his senses.  He has a great future ahead of him and thankfully he can still walk.  

• Upvote 2

Hoped we'd bring him in in that Josh McCown roll. Honestly rather not see him play again though. It's an inspiration he made it all the way back to win some games last year. Nothing left to prove risking it. Hope him a happy retirement, seems like one of the few legitimate class acts in the NFL recently 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ryu79 said:

I'd been hoping he would be our old head back up for Zach or Fields like he was for Mahomes. Dissappointed we didnt pull that off or he wasn't up for it.  Def need some veteran guidance in that QB room...

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CN2j9LohMi4/?igshid=1fmq2ob75ds8k

thats too bad really, he plays are a high level and could def still start in this league

21 hours ago, mrcoops said:

This was always going to happen unless he got a chance at a starting job.

He's been well-paid throughout his career. He's not going to risk his leg again for a low-paying backup job.

Alex Smith saw our OL and was like “yeah I like having both my legs. Pass”

He was a great human interest story last year but he's not an NFL QB anymore. Riverboat Ron said he feared his leg exploding any time a play broke down and he took a hard hit.

On 4/19/2021 at 12:58 PM, Biggs said:

I give him credit for using the motivation of playing again to rehab and actually give himself a future taking walks with his wife and kids.  He has made 189 million in career earnings and he can still walk.   The idea that he wanted to start again in the NFL was insanely stupid.  

It's amazing how playing pro-sports is like an addictive drug to these guys.   I'm glad he finally came to his senses.  He has a great future ahead of him and thankfully he can still walk.  

Very hard to tell someone who has trained their entire life for this goal to just stop and do something else. When it's over, it's OVER.