Welcome to DOGE day

Dogecoin traders push to make April 20 ‘Doge Day’

Dogecoin’s astonishing surge in the past week has been amazing enough, but now proponents of the cryptocurrency are promoting a celebratory holiday—Doge Day—for the money that no one was meant to take seriously. Advocates are hoping to see Dogecoin hit $1 on April 20—one week after it was valued at just 9¢.

Dogecoin has already hit some financial landmarks that didn’t seem possible at the start of the year. Its market value has topped $50 billion, making it bigger than Ford or Marriott. And if it comes close to hitting its target Tuesday, it could outpace some blue-chip companies.

For once (for now), Elon Musk has nothing to do with the furor surrounding Dogecoin. This time, the credit goes, in part, to…Slim Jim.

Really.

The packaged meat product latched on to Dogecoin-mania on its Twitter account last Wednesday (saying “RT to send Doge to the moon!!”—the rallying cry among the r/WallStreetBets crowd for GameStop stock). The cry worked. Doge fans—and even other brands—jumped on the bandwagon quickly.

Dogecoin has had a value of half a cent for most of its seven-year history. Ten thousand new Dogecoins are programmed to be issued every minute for the rest of eternity, meaning the value will never hold. It’s a cryptocurrency that’s meant to always get cheaper. Even the creator of the coin is flummoxed by its rise.

At least one person or company might be making real money on the Dogecoin surge, though. In February, word escaped that an unknown entity currently holds roughly 28% of the Dogecoin in circulation—some 38.6 billion Dogecoin. After today’s high point, that was worth nearly $5.6 billion.

In early afternoon trading Tuesday, Dogecoin was up 27% to 39¢. Year to date, the cryptocurrency is up a mind-boggling 8,224%.

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

So, how'd it go

There were a lot of good memes. And a lot of people jumped off buildings. Other than that I think it was pretty uneventful lol.

I am actually glad that this thing wasn't propped up by Reddit. I prefer my stock manipulation to be handled by the professionals like Musk and Cuban!

Not sure if this thing has any long term value.  But it definitely seems to have set a new floor of .31 cents. That isn't bad since a week ago is was much much lower.  I read the Doge reddit forum and it is painful. These kids think a bunch of people saying hold the line will make a difference.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Maxman said:

There were a lot of good memes. And a lot of people jumped off buildings. Other than that I think it was pretty uneventful lol.

I am actually glad that this thing wasn't propped up by Reddit. I prefer my stock manipulation to be handled by the professionals like Musk and Cuban!

Not sure if this thing has any long term value.  But it definitely seems to have set a new floor of .31 cents. That isn't bad since a week ago is was much much lower.  I read the Doge reddit forum and it is painful. These kids think a bunch of people saying hold the line will make a difference.

I surfed Wallstreetbets last week when I was bored and one of the users summed it up best; someone asked about a few things they should consider buying and some guy wrote back “if you’re looking for advice on here you shouldn’t be buying anything.”

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I surfed Wallstreetbets last week when I was bored and one of the users summed it up best; someone asked about a few things they should consider buying and some guy wrote back “if you’re looking for advice on here you shouldn’t be buying anything.”

So true, with the Game Stop and AMC stuff I was reading WSB. They were all like to the moon. I was like I bought $2,000 worth of stock and a half an hour later it is worth $5,000.  To the moon? No thanks. I sold and went back to my mutual fund lol.

This stuff is crazy. One hour into the new day and DOGE is up 4% already.

There is a way to buy and sell this stuff with pre-set limit orders and squeak out some nice profits consistently. It is so volatile.

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

This stuff is crazy. One hour into the new day and DOGE is up 4% already.

There is a way to buy and sell this stuff with pre-set limit orders and squeak out some nice profits consistently. It is so volatile.

Sounds like people are worried about missing out on the next " big thing." Like my broker says... " Bulls make money, bears make money and pigs get slaughted"  As for me I still have no idea how you buy stuff that really never existed. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Maxman said:

My brother was trying to convince me to buy DOGE the other day. His reason was "people buy what's popular" so it's going to keep going up. He also claimed it was low risk, high reward. No thanks. My brother is an idiot.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

Sounds like people are worried about missing out on the next " big thing." Like my broker says... " Bulls make money, bears make money and pigs get slaughted"  As for me I still have no idea how you buy stuff that really never existed. 

I like that! Pretty funny.

4 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

My brother was trying to convince me to buy DOGE the other day. His reason was "people buy what's popular" so it's going to keep going up. He also claimed it was low risk, high reward. No thanks. My brother is an idiot.

Yeah that is a weird sell, you know a ton about crypto and Bitcoin. I own Doge but like I said in the other thread I am just enjoying it and doing it for fun. It is up by a crazy amount even with the downturn.  I fully understand that it could be 0 tomorrow.

The process has been enjoyable for me, rooting for it. But there isn't an underlying reason why this should work. It is like rooting for an underdog. But I would not go around telling people to invest in this. I do have two friends that asked me about it and I told them what I did.  They have more $ than me so they each put in $10,000.  I think at the peak from where they bought they were at close to 70k.  I know one took out a bunch of profit already, not sure about the other one.

But I wouldn't make this my life's work telling people to put $ in this. It is based on nothing.

19 hours ago, Maxman said:

Yeah that is a weird sell, you know a ton about crypto and Bitcoin. I own Doge but like I said in the other thread I am just enjoying it and doing it for fun. It is up by a crazy amount even with the downturn.  I fully understand that it could be 0 tomorrow.

The process has been enjoyable for me, rooting for it. But there isn't an underlying reason why this should work. It is like rooting for an underdog. But I would not go around telling people to invest in this. I do have two friends that asked me about it and I told them what I did.  They have more $ than me so they each put in $10,000.  I think at the peak from where they bought they were at close to 70k.  I know one took out a bunch of profit already, not sure about the other one.

But I wouldn't make this my life's work telling people to put $ in this. It is based on nothing.

Bitcoin, too.

57 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

Bitcoin, too.

53 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

US dollars too.

Stocks too lol.

My point was the Bitcoin people have been proven right up to this point. What happens from here? It is the same thing for me advice wise, I wouldn't tell people to invest in anything. Some people say Bitcoin 100k, some say more.  Others say once Amazon launches their Digital payment it will destroy Bitcoin.  I don't see that happening, but everyone should do with their $ what they are comfortable with.

Now if DOGE would just go back over 40 cents I can start feeling good about things again lol!!!

4 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Stocks too lol.

My point was the Bitcoin people have been proven right up to this point. What happens from here? It is the same thing for me advice wise, I wouldn't tell people to invest in anything. Some people say Bitcoin 100k, some say more.  Others say once Amazon launches their Digital payment it will destroy Bitcoin.  I don't see that happening, but everyone should do with their $ what they are comfortable with.

Now if DOGE would just go back over 40 cents I can start feeling good about things again lol!!!

I expect DOGE to continue to bleed liquidity into the alt coin space from here. 

11 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I expect DOGE to continue to bleed liquidity into the alt coin space from here. 

I disagree, Reddit says I should HODL.  :)

It is losing steam and fast.  It is starting to feel really comfortable with these drop downs to .20.  It was holding strong at .30 for a few days.  It does seem inevitable that .15 could be a reality soon.

We need an Elon Musk tweet in a hurry lol.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I disagree, Reddit says I should HODL.  :)

It is losing steam and fast.  It is starting to feel really comfortable with these drop downs to .20.  It was holding strong at .30 for a few days.  It does seem inevitable that .15 could be a reality soon.

We need an Elon Musk tweet in a hurry lol.

the whole crypto market is letting wind out though

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

This should be interesting later today.

If you went back to 2014 and told me Mark Cuban would be talking about dogecoin on The Ellen Show I'd never believe it.  ? People used to give "tips" in doge on FB. They gave it away like candy - pure meme. Now people are spending real money on it and using it to buy things.

I sure wish I bought a big bag and held it though.

• Upvote 1

On 4/27/2021 at 11:19 AM, Barry McCockinner said:

If you went back to 2014 and told me Mark Cuban would be talking about dogecoin on The Ellen Show I'd never believe it.  ? People used to give "tips" in doge on FB. They gave it away like candy - pure meme. Now people are spending real money on it and using it to buy things.

I sure wish I bought a big bag and held it though.

Yeah it's crazy. I bought 30,000 plus shares because of the influencers. So many people really pushing this.

Cuban it's pushing Robinhood hard getting them to let people have individual wallets. They're definitely trying to make this the poor man's payment crypto.

The way it's holding strong and the upper twenties early thirties now. I just keep riding out for fun and see what happens.

14 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Yeah it's crazy. I bought 30,000 plus shares because of the influencers. So many people really pushing this.

Cuban it's pushing Robinhood hard getting them to let people have individual wallets. They're definitely trying to make this the poor man's payment crypto.

The way it's holding strong and the upper twenties early thirties now. I just keep riding out for fun and see what happens.

Bought 312 shares back in January at $0.08. Took a while for it to turn around, and didn't rake in huge money due to amount invested but hey I'll take it. Gonna keep holding and ride it out. Good luck on your investment as well!

• Upvote 1

On 4/29/2021 at 2:07 AM, Grandy said:

Bought 312 shares back in January at $0.08. Took a while for it to turn around, and didn't rake in huge money due to amount invested but hey I'll take it. Gonna keep holding and ride it out. Good luck on your investment as well!

Good luck.

It's fun to watch..I'm not taking it too seriously just enjoying the ride.

19 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

43 cents now ?

I took some profit last night. Basically pulled back my original investment and some extra to be safe. So now I am at the point where I still have an investment in it but if it tanked completely I already doubled my money. Now hopefully that doesn't happen because it is sitting at .57 right now and I bought at .05.  In the .60's I will probably take more profit if it gets there.

I think once Coinbase adds it you will see a jump again like happened with the other crypto platform that added it this week.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I took some profit last night. Basically pulled back my original investment and some extra to be safe. So now I am at the point where I still have an investment in it but if it tanked completely I already doubled my money. Now hopefully that doesn't happen because it is sitting at .57 right now and I bought at .05.  In the .60's I will probably take more profit if it gets there.

I think once Coinbase adds it you will see a jump again like happened with the other crypto platform that added it this week.

Gotta love a nice crypto free roll. Well played.

I shouldn't be surprised by doge anymore but I am still shocked when the price continues to climb. Just makes no sense to me. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Gotta love a nice crypto free roll. Well played.

I shouldn't be surprised by doge anymore but I am still shocked when the price continues to climb. Just makes no sense to me. 

The unlimited mining will definitely limit this. But at this point $ 1 or $ 2 per coin is definitely within reason.