The Jets Aren't Going to be Good This Year

slats

10 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

I don't think any fan was under an illusion that we were going to be good. 

I believe the hope of the majority of fans is a LA Chargerd type season where Wilson shows he's legit and another few players on the team step up and we're in a bunch of close games. 

I'm seeing expectations of a top 15 offense this year, 7 or more wins. So yeah, I think some folks have unreasonably lofty goals. 

• Upvote 1

Yes and if they are going to be terrible there's no sense in ruining another qb

The reason why fans dream about an entire new rookie offense is because Zach wilson is going to get smeared in this one 

They need at least 5 starters for this 4-3.BCB, NCB, ER2, Sam and Will 

Side note fields could have this team in the playoffs Vince Young style, because qbs that run 4.4 can tip the balance. Wilson it's going to be a multi year project like everything else 

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 3
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

So many words for something that can be answered by, "no sh*t".

All I want to see is competence and professionalism after the sh*tshow we've been subjected to the past few years. 

Brian Hoyer starting games for us next season screams competence 

• Post of the Week 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, slats said:

Yeah, sorry to break it to you. 

Rookie head coach, rookie coordinators installing new systems on both sides of the ball with a rookie QB.

all of the above >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Adam "worst HC ever" Gase

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Lith said:

There is a reason for that.  The Jets leadership has been irrationally biased against the offense for most of the last 10 years. 

Although I do agree with you that the fans hope/expectation of an all offense R1-R3 is unlikely.  I think it is the way fans think, but not NFL personnel people.

Can't argue with the facts. The Jets invested a disproportionate amount of premium resources on safeties, ilbs, cbs, and DTs for like a decade versus the rest of the league. Even worse, most of those players at those positions busted and were out of the league a couple years after they left us. Just mind-numbingly bad.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, slats said:

If you want to make certain he gets killed, get him a rookie center and have a rookie RB back in pass protection. That oughta do it. 

Don't worry creed will play left guard after they save X million dollars cutting Alex lewis 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, slats said:

Douglas got him a LT and WR with his first two picks last year. I expect a rookie starter on the OL this year. That's enough rookie starters when trying to install a new offense. He added a couple WRs and a RB in free agency. You may not love every move, but he's done a lot more for the offense before his second draft than the previous couple guys did in a decade. 

After 2 years.  And Mims was injured first half of the season. And almost all the free agent signings outside of Crowder were unmitigated disasters (Bell, Kalil, Perriman)

• Sympathy 2

25 minutes ago, slats said:

I look forward to seeing this sort of level-headedness when the season arrives. There will definitely be a vocal contingent of fans breaking out the torches, pitchforks, billboards and airplanes, I suspect. 

There already are vs Joe Douglas. Of course it's unwarranted.  But so are many of these Jets fans.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Not to piggyback off of other posters but this is why I want them to bench the QB they take.

Things that help a young quarterback: protection, run game, superstar go-to guy in the passing game. In the ZBS protection and run game are both going to fall to the OL.

This is the same OL they had last year. I don't think there's universal agreement regarding how bad the OL was, but I think there is universal agreement it was below average. Adding rookies could improve that in the short term, it also could result in a short-term downgrade, and that's the only option left on the table for improvement.

The run game is being installed this year and will hopefully be rolling next year. Probably will be some hiccups along the way as they get it installed and figure out who the most productive back is running behind those guys. 

There is no stud go-to guy in the passing game right now. Maybe someone gets established, maybe it's a pick for next year. But at this point there's nobody who's always open, the go-to guy in a tough situation, or tilting the field for the defense.

Defenses have just been able to play the Jets straight for years now. Aside from Robby Anderson, no real fear of the big play in the pass or the run game - and Anderson was a little easier to cover since the downfield big play was all he brought to the table on the Jets. The next tackle he breaks will be the first. The quarterback is a factor there but it's also largely the skill position talent. The running backs are faster but completely unestablished, maybe Mims gets going. No signs of the line being dominant to compensate. I think the quarterback's job is going to be hard again.

Might be easier if that guy could get cheap yards and create with his legs.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1