The Jets Aren't Going to be Good This Year

slats

You can get off to a bad start, lose 4 of the first 5 while learning and get to 7 wins by going 500 in the back 12.  

If some of our draft picks from last year and this year figure it out and are actually good players the actuall quality of the team will be vastly improved from last years team.    While our FA signings wasn't star studded we did add at least good starting talent at a couple of positions.

Most of the fan base believes Adam Gase was the worst HC in football (I disagree I think he was bottom 20%)  Most of the fan base thinks we have a very good coaching staff.  That is a huge upgrade.  New England won 7 games last year in a 16 game schedule with a roster devestated by opt-outs and a QB who had no training camp and no weapons along with Covid.  (Plus he's over the hill and sucks).

7 games in a 17 game season is a low bar.    

• Upvote 2

i got my green glasses on.  i think they're going to surprise.  just about every jet coach has had a substantial improvement, record wise, over their predecessor.  gase went 7-9 after bowles 4-12, mangini went 10-6 after herms 4-12, rex went 9-7 after mangini's 8-8, bowles went 10-6 after rex's 4-12, and parcells went 9-7 after koyite's 1-15.  i think it's safe to say saleh will improve substantially over gase's 2-14 mark.  just how much?  hard to say.  if saleh is as good as he's purported to be then this team could compete for the playoffs.  they got a lot of hungry players that need to be pointed i the right direction.  and they should add to them in the draft.

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, slats said:

I look forward to seeing this sort of level-headedness when the season arrives. There will definitely be a vocal contingent of fans breaking out the torches, pitchforks, billboards and airplanes, I suspect. 

I'll be leading the charge if the draft picks and coaching staff look incompetent. I don't care about wins or losses. To me it's all how they look. Of course, this is going to be a multi-year rebuild and the Jets won't legit compete until 2023 - if all goes right.

If the QB plays like he absolutely lost when faced with an NFL defense then that's a huge strike against JD and partially the style of play designed by the CS. If the QB still looks like he's in way over his head by the end of 2022 then I'll chip in for the billboards and plane.

JD has gone all in on a new QB and his career will be determined by the Jets success or utter failure in 2023.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, slats said:

Everyone hates Gase? I know, I'll be his biggest fan! That'll really get these yahoos going! 

*Gase sucks and gets fired* 

Everyone loves Joe Douglas? I know, I'll rip him at every turn! That'll really get these yahoos going! 

Why is it impossible to believe a) that I hoped Adam Gase would work because I was tired of rookie defensive head coaches and b) that I am disappointed in Joe Douglas because he was handed a rebuild in-progress and a $4M mulligan year and has done nothing but take a 7-9 team to 2-14?

These are both logical emotions from a Jets fan.  What's illogical is all this love for Joe Douglas.  It takes no genius to bulldoze a house; it takes a talented architect to build one.  It's been 3 years.  I'm tired of cement trucks.

SAR I

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, derp said:

Not to piggyback off of other posters but this is why I want them to bench the QB they take.

One of the reasons JD traded Sam was to reset the financial clock for the QB. With the rookie pay scale and the amount true FQB's get paid teams can't afford to let top QB picks sit for a year. Especially a QB taken at #2 OA who's expected to be NFL ready from the go.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

49 minutes ago, slats said:

If you want to make certain he gets killed, get him a rookie center and have a rookie RB back in pass protection. That oughta do it. 

Nah..

The right move is to draft the best OL on the board at 23 and if ETN or Harris are at 34 then it's an absolute no brainer to take either of them.  And then yes, take the best offensive player available at 66.

It's the right way to build around your young QB.  This idea that somehow the first round/high seconds we draft shouldn't be able to start because they'll be 3 of them? I think that's just something new that's been developed on JN by the defensive holdovers that continue to over value the importance of defense in todays NFL.

If we have talent that can beat out the rookies - great, let them sit.  We don't and we won't.  

• Upvote 1

After last year in particular, I'm just looking for them not to be outrageously embarrassing week in, week out.

One or two blowouts? Sure, that'll likely happen. Nine or ten? Please, not again.

We lost NINE GAMES by 10+ points last year. We scored 28 or more points ONLY THREE TIMES. So even being "not very good" this year would be a marked improvement over "abysmal" in my book.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

Why is it impossible to believe a) that I hoped Adam Gase would work because I was tired of rookie defensive head coaches and b) that I am disappointed in Joe Douglas because he was handed a rebuild in-progress and a $4M mulligan year and has done nothing but take a 7-9 team to 2-14?

These are both logical emotions from a Jets fan.  What's illogical is all this love for Joe Douglas.  It takes no genius to bulldoze a house; it takes a talented architect to build one.  It's been 3 years.  I'm tired of cement trucks.

SAR I

It's weird how Joe Douglas has been here three years while simultaneously having been hired less than two years ago. 

There was a rebuild in progress? I must've missed it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

I'm seeing expectations of a top 15 offense this year, 7 or more wins. So yeah, I think some folks have unreasonably lofty goals. 

Do you think Morgan or White get run out there first 6-8 games and then go with Wilson. ? Can’t see throwing him into the fire game 1. Gives them an opportunity to see what they have for backup Qb and let’s Wilson get coached up

It’s fans with low expectations that causes losing. 

The higher the expectations from fans, especially distant fans that carry more energy to get here, the more winning  on the field.  

We really need some of our brethren around the world to start upping their rooting game.  

These are facts. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, slats said:

It's weird how Joe Douglas has been here three years while simultaneously having been hired less than two years ago. 

There was a rebuild in progress? I must've missed it. 

He was channeling front office moves that prior year. 

You think that was all Mac?

Think again. 

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Nah..

The right move is to draft the best OL on the board at 23 and if ETN or Harris are at 34 then it's an absolute no brainer to take either of them.  And then yes, take the best offensive player available at 66.

It's the right way to build around your young QB.  This idea that somehow the first round/high seconds we draft shouldn't be able to start because they'll be 3 of them? I think that's just something new that's been developed on JN by the defensive holdovers that continue to over value the importance of defense in todays NFL.

If we have talent that can beat out the rookies - great, let them sit.  We don't and we won't.  

I think a lot will depend on the position drafted. A WR at 23 / 34 will need to really show up in TC to be a true starter, but will likely get rotational time early on in the 3 / 4 role until he earns more. However, a CB at 23 / 34 would likely need to struggle in TC to not get a starter spot, based on what we already have at that position.

OL may be the hardest to figure out; there's not the same amount of rotation of starters because you need them to develop as a unit; if we draft a guy at 23 / 34 I'd hope it's with the expectation of starting and not sitting on the bench for a prolonged period. That's the sort of guy you draft in Rd 3 / 4 IMHO.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Who are all the players JD removed from the 2019 roster that caused them to fall to 2-14?

By most accounts he improved the roster.  You amazingly credit Gase for 7-9 and then blame JD for 2-14

I dont know what's worse this line of logic or believe that the Jets 7-9 record was indicative of how well Gase had them playing.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Do you think Morgan or White get run out there first 6-8 games and then go with Wilson. ? Can’t see throwing him into the fire game 1. Gives them an opportunity to see what they have for backup Qb and let’s Wilson get coached up

Not unless they sign a guy like Hoyer and start him for a few weeks, IMO. I expect ZW starting opening day, for better or worse. 

14 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

He wasn't handed a rebuild in progress.  He was handed a condemed building.  The tear down was appropriate and necessary.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

This is a very good and accurate post.

I was never on the Gase bandwagon as he was clearly a disaster in my eyes..but I absolutely shared your vision on hiring an experienced HC. 

But am 100% with you on JD.  Now I don't think he's been necessarily bad - as he's mostly done what's needed to be done - but committing to that is really the only hard part about it.

He hasn't shown any ability to build a team, but I don't think he's really tried yet.

This is the year he has to - and, from what I can tell, he's not off to a particularly good start in FA.  Not awful but the worst offense in the NFL upgraded the #2WR - nothing more.  

At some point the teams needs to get better.

• Post of the Week 2

1 hour ago, slats said:

Yeah, sorry to break it to you. 

Rookie head coach, rookie coordinators installing new systems on both sides of the ball with a rookie QB. There are just too many moving pieces here for everything to fall into place in the perfect way in their first year together. Hopefully Joe Douglas is the guy, Saleh turns out to be his watershed hire and Mike LaFluer is the first offensive coordinator the Jets ever had that isn't universally hated by the fanbase, and Zach Wilson (presumably) isn't just a franchise QB but a star - but it's just not going to come together that quickly. 

These expectations of 7 or more wins, top half offensive rankings... these are pipe dreams. 

Also looking to upgrade everywhere on offense in this draft while ignoring the defense is not going to happen - and it shouldn't. You already have the rookie QB, very possibly one rookie OL, and if some fans here had their way a rookie RB, WR, TE, and a second OL, too. All in the name of supporting the rookie QB - but that's not support, that's instability! The rookie offensive coordinator already has way more than enough on his hands trying to establish a new offense while simultaneously getting a rookie QB prepared to start the season. Those are two huge jobs that, preferably, would've been done in separate years. I'm sure that was part of the idea of rolling it back with Sam, if that's what it came to. 

Jets fans have become irrationally biased against the defense. It's still a team sport. I get all the defensive first round picks, the DTs and the safeties, I was there! But when Joe Douglas takes a QB at #2 this year, his first two first rounder's will've been offensive players, and the Jets will have gone offense in the first round three out of the last four years. This isn't year 49 of the rebuild, it's year two of JD's build and year one of the Saleh era. They're switching to an aggressive 4-3 zone defense that needs players, too. While Lafluer and the rookie QB are getting the offensive foundation built, wouldn't it be nice to see a nasty pass rush being developed on the other side of the ball? When's the last time we had that. Doesn't anyone realize that a defense that can stop the other team and get off the field helps the QB? Do you really want ZW throwing 40-50 times a game playing catch-up all day? If they take an Edge at #23, try just looking over the ledge instead of actually jumping. 

I think the best we can hope for is a team that is clearly showing signs of getting better as the year goes on, but that zone blocking OL and zone coverage secondary are gonna take some time to gel. But then at the end of the year, maybe we can have some of the usual grumbling about "meaningless wins destroying our draft position," even though in a new administration's first year, those late season wins would not be meaningless at all. They would be program building. 

I'm optimistic about the future, looking forward to seeing some signs of life, but the growing pains -I suspect- are going to be visibly ugly for much of the year.   

Your post was rational until you started pumping up the defensive draft picks and saying how much we have invested in offensive picks the last couple of years and then it all fell apart.  It is a Mccagnan philosophy, get a new young QB fail to do anything this last year to upgrade oline and then start talking about the shiny pass rusher toy.

We just spent big money on two pass rushers, we are moving to a more friendly pass rushing system.  According to the experts on here we don;t need any corners at all cause our D protects them so much, we can out card board cut outs out there.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

Yeah, sorry to break it to you. 

Rookie head coach, rookie coordinators installing new systems on both sides of the ball with a rookie QB. There are just too many moving pieces here for everything to fall into place in the perfect way in their first year together. Hopefully Joe Douglas is the guy, Saleh turns out to be his watershed hire and Mike LaFluer is the first offensive coordinator the Jets ever had that isn't universally hated by the fanbase, and Zach Wilson (presumably) isn't just a franchise QB but a star - but it's just not going to come together that quickly. 

These expectations of 7 or more wins, top half offensive rankings... these are pipe dreams. 

Also looking to upgrade everywhere on offense in this draft while ignoring the defense is not going to happen - and it shouldn't. You already have the rookie QB, very possibly one rookie OL, and if some fans here had their way a rookie RB, WR, TE, and a second OL, too. All in the name of supporting the rookie QB - but that's not support, that's instability! The rookie offensive coordinator already has way more than enough on his hands trying to establish a new offense while simultaneously getting a rookie QB prepared to start the season. Those are two huge jobs that, preferably, would've been done in separate years. I'm sure that was part of the idea of rolling it back with Sam, if that's what it came to. 

Jets fans have become irrationally biased against the defense. It's still a team sport. I get all the defensive first round picks, the DTs and the safeties, I was there! But when Joe Douglas takes a QB at #2 this year, his first two first rounder's will've been offensive players, and the Jets will have gone offense in the first round three out of the last four years. This isn't year 49 of the rebuild, it's year two of JD's build and year one of the Saleh era. They're switching to an aggressive 4-3 zone defense that needs players, too. While Lafluer and the rookie QB are getting the offensive foundation built, wouldn't it be nice to see a nasty pass rush being developed on the other side of the ball? When's the last time we had that. Doesn't anyone realize that a defense that can stop the other team and get off the field helps the QB? Do you really want ZW throwing 40-50 times a game playing catch-up all day? If they take an Edge at #23, try just looking over the ledge instead of actually jumping. 

I think the best we can hope for is a team that is clearly showing signs of getting better as the year goes on, but that zone blocking OL and zone coverage secondary are gonna take some time to gel. But then at the end of the year, maybe we can have some of the usual grumbling about "meaningless wins destroying our draft position," even though in a new administration's first year, those late season wins would not be meaningless at all. They would be program building. 

I'm optimistic about the future, looking forward to seeing some signs of life, but the growing pains -I suspect- are going to be visibly ugly for much of the year.   

Ok boomer 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, slats said:

Not unless they sign a guy like Hoyer and start him for a few weeks, IMO. I expect ZW starting opening day, for better or worse. 

We finally have a Qb coach in Calabrese. Would prefer not to have Hoyer limiting snaps for young guys. We’re not going to the P.O. so I’m not concerned about W-L record this year. It’s all about developing players for next year push

• Upvote 2

Ahh here it begins. At first it lurked in the shadows but the excuse train is showing up early. My annual dose of lower the expectations so no one gets hurt. The draft hasn’t even happened and we are already saying we are going to be bad. Craziness 

This fan base never disappoints 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2