The Jets Aren't Going to be Good This Year

slats

Honestly, after last year I just want to see them be competitive! These last 2 years the game was over before they even stepped on the field. Show me a pulse. Let me see some young hungry guys. I wanna see Lawson and Q going after the QB and causing havoc in the backfield. I wanna see Lafleurs offense clicking and moving the chains. Just don’t get embarrassed every week. These last 2 seasons were ridiculous from a competition standpoint 

• Post of the Week 2

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Your post was rational until you started pumping up the defensive draft picks and saying how much we have invested in offensive picks the last couple of years and then it all fell apart.  It is a Mccagnan philosophy, get a new young QB fail to do anything this last year to upgrade oline and then start talking about the shiny pass rusher toy.

We just spent big money on two pass rushers, we are moving to a more friendly pass rushing system.  According to the experts on here we don;t need any corners at all cause our D protects them so much, we can out card board cut outs out there.

JD went offense in the first and second round last year, and will in the first again this year. Took five offensive players vs. three defense. I'd expect one of #23 & #34 to be offense as well, at least. All the defensive first round picks, besides QW, are gone. Adams, Lee, Leo, Pryor, Milliner & Richardson, Coples... how far would you like me to go back? I fully understand the frustration with all the first round defense, I've been saying offense wins championships since the last century. But it's not like all those picks stocked the cupboard on that side of the ball. And going from the 3-4 to a 4-3 requires bodies, anyway. 

An Edge is infinitely more valuable than the RB a lot of people around here want. If JD has an Edge graded close to the RB, he's going to take the Edge, and that would be the correct move. 

• Sympathy 1

40 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Ahh here it begins. At first it lurked in the shadows but the excuse train is showing up early. My annual dose of lower the expectations so no one gets hurt. The draft hasn’t even happened and we are already saying we are going to be bad. Craziness 

This fan base never disappoints 

Let me speak on behalf of the board,” sorry Kev, maybe next year?” 

• Haha 1

If Zach Wilson lights up the league a la justin herbert, the jets may very well be a good team.

But I expect it will take Wilson a full season to adjust to the nfl and therefore I do not think this team will be a top 7 team to make the playoffs.

The Jets will be competing for a Super Bowl in the 2023 season.  Anything before then would be gravy.

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, slats said:

I just thank goodness that we have fans like you and @Warfish, keeping the pressure on to bring us that championship. Thank you for your service. 

Posts like the yours are an annual rite in Jets Fandom.  Someone here has written it or it's equivalent almost every year.

OIP.vxdjgZUTgpyoU50seXkKtgHaCk?pid=ImgDe

It's like predicting a 2 win season, so pretty much anything they do afterwards can be called a "success".

Whatever makes you happy I guess.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jamesr said:

I think a lot will depend on the position drafted. A WR at 23 / 34 will need to really show up in TC to be a true starter, but will likely get rotational time early on in the 3 / 4 role until he earns more. However, a CB at 23 / 34 would likely need to struggle in TC to not get a starter spot, based on what we already have at that position.

OL may be the hardest to figure out; there's not the same amount of rotation of starters because you need them to develop as a unit; if we draft a guy at 23 / 34 I'd hope it's with the expectation of starting and not sitting on the bench for a prolonged period. That's the sort of guy you draft in Rd 3 / 4 IMHO.

I Agree.

My point really was just combating this view that we can't go O at 23, 34 and 66 as it'll make things worse on the offense and harm our QB's development.  On that I call BS.

We can find starters at 23 in WR, RB or OL and then find another starter at WR, RB or OL at 34....and then land a rotational, high level development guy on offense at 66...We can go offense with those 3 picks and heavily help our young QB.  It's comical to say drafting offense with those three picks will harm our QB.

How'd it work out the last time we added two rookie 1st round picks to the OL?

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, slats said:

Yeah, sorry to break it to you. 

Rookie head coach, rookie coordinators installing new systems on both sides of the ball with a rookie QB. There are just too many moving pieces here for everything to fall into place in the perfect way in their first year together. Hopefully Joe Douglas is the guy, Saleh turns out to be his watershed hire and Mike LaFluer is the first offensive coordinator the Jets ever had that isn't universally hated by the fanbase, and Zach Wilson (presumably) isn't just a franchise QB but a star - but it's just not going to come together that quickly. 

These expectations of 7 or more wins, top half offensive rankings... these are pipe dreams. 

Also looking to upgrade everywhere on offense in this draft while ignoring the defense is not going to happen - and it shouldn't. You already have the rookie QB, very possibly one rookie OL, and if some fans here had their way a rookie RB, WR, TE, and a second OL, too. All in the name of supporting the rookie QB - but that's not support, that's instability! The rookie offensive coordinator already has way more than enough on his hands trying to establish a new offense while simultaneously getting a rookie QB prepared to start the season. Those are two huge jobs that, preferably, would've been done in separate years. I'm sure that was part of the idea of rolling it back with Sam, if that's what it came to. 

Jets fans have become irrationally biased against the defense. It's still a team sport. I get all the defensive first round picks, the DTs and the safeties, I was there! But when Joe Douglas takes a QB at #2 this year, his first two first rounder's will've been offensive players, and the Jets will have gone offense in the first round three out of the last four years. This isn't year 49 of the rebuild, it's year two of JD's build and year one of the Saleh era. They're switching to an aggressive 4-3 zone defense that needs players, too. While Lafluer and the rookie QB are getting the offensive foundation built, wouldn't it be nice to see a nasty pass rush being developed on the other side of the ball? When's the last time we had that. Doesn't anyone realize that a defense that can stop the other team and get off the field helps the QB? Do you really want ZW throwing 40-50 times a game playing catch-up all day? If they take an Edge at #23, try just looking over the ledge instead of actually jumping. 

I think the best we can hope for is a team that is clearly showing signs of getting better as the year goes on, but that zone blocking OL and zone coverage secondary are gonna take some time to gel. But then at the end of the year, maybe we can have some of the usual grumbling about "meaningless wins destroying our draft position," even though in a new administration's first year, those late season wins would not be meaningless at all. They would be program building. 

I'm optimistic about the future, looking forward to seeing some signs of life, but the growing pains -I suspect- are going to be visibly ugly for much of the year.   

Yes you are right and all of this on top of from what I see the toughest Division in the league. In our first 3 picks after the QB we need to go D with 1 of those picks either a CB or Edge rusher. The other pick should be an IOL. Then with the 2 3rd rounders again split for whatever ever defender you didn't pick up at CB/Edge and then maybe 1 skill position player i.e RB, WR, or TE. Then with the remaining 5 picks in rounds 4-6 get another OL, other skill position players, and maybe more help on D with LB and DB. We saw last draft JD spread the positions around by drafting in each area and he likely will do a bit of the same, and why not, we need additional help with upgrades/depth in pretty much every position group. Again, get the program/scheme/culture in place to establish an identity, i.e tough D, and good balance on O for running and passing since we are not going to be like teams that can pass constantly especially at this stage with a new rookie QB. If we get this all in place and are playing competitive and continue getting better each week no reason why 5-7 total wins will kill us for this season.

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Posts like the yours are an annual rite in Jets Fandom.  Someone here has written it or it's equivalent almost every year.

OIP.vxdjgZUTgpyoU50seXkKtgHaCk?pid=ImgDe

It's like predicting a 2 win season, so pretty much anything they do afterwards can be called a "success".

Whatever makes you happy I guess.  

Thanks! 

I prefer it to setting unreasonable expectations which leave me endlessly miserable. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Big_Slick said:

One of the reasons JD traded Sam was to reset the financial clock for the QB. With the rookie pay scale and the amount true FQB's get paid teams can't afford to let top QB picks sit for a year. Especially a QB taken at #2 OA who's expected to be NFL ready from the go.

That's one way of looking at it. I think that mindset is why guys taken at the very top of the draft, say top five, have largely busted whether they're deemed to be NFL ready or not. The track record of those guys is horrific. Guys drafted 6+ have been better lately.

Meanwhile the two best quarterbacks in the NFL, Rodgers and Mahomes, sat at least a year and the current rookie pay scale in place was in place for Mahomes. Lamar Jackson sat a good chunk of his rookie year too.

I'd rather have a long-term quarterback with one less year of paying him on his rookie deal than play a guy early and mess with his development.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

Yes and if they are going to be terrible there's no sense in ruining another qb

The reason why fans dream about an entire new rookie offense is because Zach wilson is going to get smeared in this one 

They need at least 5 starters for this 4-3.BCB, NCB, ER2, Sam and Will 

Side note fields could have this team in the playoffs Vince Young style, because qbs that run 4.4 can tip the balance. Wilson it's going to be a multi year project like everything else 

ok so let me get this straight....

With Zach, theres no hope because there are so many holes to fill. Thats why picking a QB will ruin him

EXCEPT if we take Fields. Because he can scramble, were going to the playoffs.

Got it!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, HighPitch said:

Some of you guys have such a beaten down, abused wife no hope attitude....

Heres another take: Zach is the real deal and lights it up and things fall into place for a very promising 8-8 season end that has everyone excited about the next draft

So, plane crash before the last game of the season, then? 

3 hours ago, slats said:

Rookie head coach, rookie coordinators installing new systems on both sides of the ball with a rookie QB. There are just too many moving pieces here for everything to fall into place in the perfect way in their first year together. Hopefully Joe Douglas is the guy, Saleh turns out to be his watershed hire and Mike LaFluer is the first offensive coordinator the Jets ever had that isn't universally hated by the fanbase, and Zach Wilson (presumably) isn't just a franchise QB but a star - but it's just not going to come together that quickly. 

These expectations of 7 or more wins, top half offensive rankings... these are pipe dreams. 

Also looking to upgrade everywhere on offense in this draft while ignoring the defense is not going to happen - and it shouldn't. You already have the rookie QB, very possibly one rookie OL, and if some fans here had their way a rookie RB, WR, TE, and a second OL, too. All in the name of supporting the rookie QB - but that's not support, that's instability! The rookie offensive coordinator already has way more than enough on his hands trying to establish a new offense while simultaneously getting a rookie QB prepared to start the season. Those are two huge jobs that, preferably, would've been done in separate years. I'm sure that was part of the idea of rolling it back with Sam, if that's what it came to. 

Jets fans have become irrationally biased against the defense. It's still a team sport. I get all the defensive first round picks, the DTs and the safeties, I was there! But when Joe Douglas takes a QB at #2 this year, his first two first rounder's will've been offensive players, and the Jets will have gone offense in the first round three out of the last four years. This isn't year 49 of the rebuild, it's year two of JD's build and year one of the Saleh era. They're switching to an aggressive 4-3 zone defense that needs players, too. While Lafluer and the rookie QB are getting the offensive foundation built, wouldn't it be nice to see a nasty pass rush being developed on the other side of the ball? When's the last time we had that. Doesn't anyone realize that a defense that can stop the other team and get off the field helps the QB? Do you really want ZW throwing 40-50 times a game playing catch-up all day? If they take an Edge at #23, try just looking over the ledge instead of actually jumping. 

I think the best we can hope for is a team that is clearly showing signs of getting better as the year goes on, but that zone blocking OL and zone coverage secondary are gonna take some time to gel. But then at the end of the year, maybe we can have some of the usual grumbling about "meaningless wins destroying our draft position," even though in a new administration's first year, those late season wins would not be meaningless at all. They would be program building. 

I'm optimistic about the future, looking forward to seeing some signs of life, but the growing pains -I suspect- are going to be visibly ugly for much of the year.   

I disagree with basically every word of this post. If anything Jets fans like you are still WAY too focused on defense. It is like our defense needs to be perfect and stocked with high end picks before we even pick offense. 

When we select Wilson, pretty much nothing else matters other than giving Wilson protection and weapons. You are advocating we do exactly what we did with Sam in picking Sam and then focusing our top picks on defense. Again. Also EDGE and CB are incredibly risky picks, we need to go OL at 23 and OL/WR/TE/RB with 34 and the 2 third rounders. We can pick defense next year.

And YES. throwing 40-50 times a game behind a decent OL with updgraded weapons is WAY better than drafting more friggin defense. Elite offenses go to the SB. Almost exclusively.

Most wrong post of the year IMO.

tenor.gif

• Post of the Week 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

ok so let me get this straight....

With Zach, theres no hope because there are so many holes to fill. Thats why picking a QB will ruin him

EXCEPT if we take Fields. Because he can scramble, were going to the playoffs.

Got it!

Actually doesn't have to be that way. Nobody says the team has too many holes and will be that bad. I thought the Chargers were pretty good and only had 7 wins last year. If Jets duplicate that situation where if it's Wilson and he is playing like Herbert did that is fine. Heck even Cincy would have probably had around 7 wins as well if not for the bad injury to Borrow who was playing really well to that point, and hopefully we prevent that from occurring to our new QB since we have the LT Pillar that should provide the proper blind side protection. We just need JD to have done pretty good with this FA class, hit on as many of the 10 draft picks and maybe an UDFA or two, and then perhaps fill in a few more players after the draft with remaining FAs perhaps at OL/CB/LB.    

3 hours ago, slats said:

I'm seeing expectations of a top 15 offense this year, 7 or more wins. So yeah, I think some folks have unreasonably lofty goals. 

We had 7 wins in 2019 every season is a new beginning no one knows how this team will be but I'm not a SOJF so I'm excited about the new staff and think the team will be better then you think.. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Actually doesn't have to be that way. Nobody says the team has too many holes and will be that bad. I thought the Chargers were pretty good and only had 7 wins last year. If Jets duplicate that situation where if it's Wilson and he is playing like Herbert did that is fine. Heck even Cincy would have probably had around 7 wins as well if not for the bad injury to Borrow who was playing really well to that point, and hopefully we prevent that from occurring to our new QB since we have the LT Pillar that should provide the proper blind side protection. We just need JD to have done pretty good with this FA class, hit on as many of the 10 draft picks and maybe an UDFA or two, and then perhaps fill in a few more players after the draft with remaining FAs perhaps at OL/CB/LB.    

Hey youre preaching to the choir football man.

A very negative, worry wartish poster claimed all that. He is a nice guy but a major wet blanket. Total downer. A real cock blocker

2 hours ago, slats said:

It's weird how Joe Douglas has been here three years while simultaneously having been hired less than two years ago. 

There was a rebuild in progress? I must've missed it. 

Google "Suck For Sam", perhaps you'll remember the announcement by Christopher Douglas that we were rebuilding, the 2017 campaign, sucking and getting Sam, sucking with Sam in 2018, hiring a new HC, firing the GM, looking better in 2019, and an utter collapse with an expansion-quality roster in 2020.

The rebuild started when announced in 2017.  It's 2021.  Joe Douglas has been here for 2 seasons entering his 3rd.  It's time to actually build now.

SAR I

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Who are all the players JD removed from the 2019 roster that caused them to fall to 2-14?

By most accounts he improved the roster.  You amazingly credit Gase for 7-9 and then blame JD for 2-14

I dont know what's worse this line of logic or believe that the Jets 7-9 record was indicative of how well Gase had them playing.

In 2020 the coaching staff did not change.  In 2020 the quarterback did not change.

What changed in 2020 was Joe Douglas getting his paws all over the roster.

We went from 7-9 to 2-14.  The coaching staff and quarterback were the constants.  The GM was the variable.

SAR I

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Google "Suck For Sam", perhaps you'll remember the announcement by Christopher Douglas that we were rebuilding, the 2017 campaign, sucking and getting Sam, sucking with Sam in 2018, hiring a new HC, firing the GM, looking better in 2019, and an utter collapse with an expansion-quality roster in 2020.

The rebuild started when announced in 2017.  It's 2021.  Joe Douglas has been here for 2 seasons entering his 3rd.  It's time to actually build now.

SAR I

They are already laying the ground work excuse. 2021 is a rookie qb year

2022 is the year of “development”

so basically they are arguing it takes 5 seasons to build a roster. Guy are living in the Stone Age 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, slats said:

Nicely written.