The Jets Aren't Going to be Good This Year

slats

5 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

I wouldn't be shocked if we win 4 or 5 games.  But I also wouldn't be shocked if we won 9 or 10.  Gase was an historically bad coach.

It was a perfect storm of awful roster and inept coach

the 1996 Jets had an ok roster with horrible coach.  Parcels came in and almost made the playoffs with not a lot of significant roster change in that offseason 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

we should fly a plane around the city with a 'We love you Joe Douglas" banner.

Zach Wilson and 9 more picks to build this team.  Then 11 more picks next year.

Thank you Joe Douglas.  Thank you!

snowdouglas2.jpg

Fabulous scorecard.

SAR I

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

That was Gase saying eff you to the Jets. He knew he was gone and didn't want the Jets to get the #1 OA pick.

Forget the coaching.  Doesn't matter who the coach was.  The takeaway is that the 2019 and 2020 Jets had identical coaching staffs and identical quarterbacks.  One went 7-9, the other 2-14.  The variable is the GM.

We have the worst roster in the league.  That's indisputable.  The coaching doesn't make a difference.  Joe Douglas inherited a bad roster with some decent players to build around and then got rid of all the decent players.  We are an expansion team.  It didn't need to be like this.

SAR I

• Haha 1

Just now, SAR I said:

I mean, he can't even sign a kicker.  A kicker.

SAR I

All of the unemployed kickers who have hit field goals in the NFL and in college and JD had to travel to Norway to find a guy who couldn’t kick a ball into the Atlantic Ocean

C427BB41-2524-4BF6-86FF-AADE60528697.jpeg.cea675f1d5e4926e9bbb7d0f60628786.jpeg

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Doesnt seem acceptable to suck again.  2nd full offseason with a ton of money and picks, supposedly a huge upgrade at HC and QB, arguably the 2 most important components of the Football team.  Why wont they be good?  

At this point?  Our huge upgrade to the oline is Dan Feeny and every one and their dog wants to draft LBs and pass rushers after we draft the QB.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Doesnt seem acceptable to suck again.  2nd full offseason with a ton of money and picks, supposedly a huge upgrade at HC and QB, arguably the 2 most important components of the Football team.  Why wont they be good?  

Give me the teams in the afc that we should be better then next year.

Just now, Joe W. Namath said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHHA.  Look at the schedule.  If the Jets win 6 games next year, that is super impressive and shows that we are well on our way to being ready to compete for a Super bowl in 2023.

Zach Wilson is better than Pat Mahomes.  Already

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Because the HC and QB are unknown quantities and quite frankly given the Jets history, odds are they won't pan out.

2 hours ago, Savage69 said:

Being a contrarian has always been his shtick he understands what he's doing and enjoys it.. Bit has been doing it longer though and some would say better..B)

If they ever met, hooked up and SAR1 gave anal birth to their son, they could name him Sarbit.

ok im sorry

8 hours ago, slats said:

Yeah, sorry to break it to you. 

Rookie head coach, rookie coordinators installing new systems on both sides of the ball with a rookie QB. There are just too many moving pieces here for everything to fall into place in the perfect way in their first year together. Hopefully Joe Douglas is the guy, Saleh turns out to be his watershed hire and Mike LaFluer is the first offensive coordinator the Jets ever had that isn't universally hated by the fanbase, and Zach Wilson (presumably) isn't just a franchise QB but a star - but it's just not going to come together that quickly. 

These expectations of 7 or more wins, top half offensive rankings... these are pipe dreams. 

Also looking to upgrade everywhere on offense in this draft while ignoring the defense is not going to happen - and it shouldn't. You already have the rookie QB, very possibly one rookie OL, and if some fans here had their way a rookie RB, WR, TE, and a second OL, too. All in the name of supporting the rookie QB - but that's not support, that's instability! The rookie offensive coordinator already has way more than enough on his hands trying to establish a new offense while simultaneously getting a rookie QB prepared to start the season. Those are two huge jobs that, preferably, would've been done in separate years. I'm sure that was part of the idea of rolling it back with Sam, if that's what it came to. 

Jets fans have become irrationally biased against the defense. It's still a team sport. I get all the defensive first round picks, the DTs and the safeties, I was there! But when Joe Douglas takes a QB at #2 this year, his first two first rounder's will've been offensive players, and the Jets will have gone offense in the first round three out of the last four years. This isn't year 49 of the rebuild, it's year two of JD's build and year one of the Saleh era. They're switching to an aggressive 4-3 zone defense that needs players, too. While Lafluer and the rookie QB are getting the offensive foundation built, wouldn't it be nice to see a nasty pass rush being developed on the other side of the ball? When's the last time we had that. Doesn't anyone realize that a defense that can stop the other team and get off the field helps the QB? Do you really want ZW throwing 40-50 times a game playing catch-up all day? If they take an Edge at #23, try just looking over the ledge instead of actually jumping. 

I think the best we can hope for is a team that is clearly showing signs of getting better as the year goes on, but that zone blocking OL and zone coverage secondary are gonna take some time to gel. But then at the end of the year, maybe we can have some of the usual grumbling about "meaningless wins destroying our draft position," even though in a new administration's first year, those late season wins would not be meaningless at all. They would be program building. 

I'm optimistic about the future, looking forward to seeing some signs of life, but the growing pains -I suspect- are going to be visibly ugly for much of the year.   

episode 7 no shit GIF by RuPaul's Drag Race

2 minutes ago, peebag said:

Because the HC and QB are unknown quantities and quite frankly given the Jets history, odds are they won't pan out.

Or the positive angle is it will work out because the laws of chance say that even the blind squirrel eventually finds the acorn

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

I mean, he can't even sign a kicker.  A kicker.

SAR I

Lol when the screws tighten around you you become even more of an anti jd guy.

Hey everyone lets all go out and buy 3 series bmws. Lease or buy whatever just get one. I want to see SAR1 driving an Audi before May 1

59 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Forget the coaching.  Doesn't matter who the coach was.  The takeaway is that the 2019 and 2020 Jets had identical coaching staffs and identical quarterbacks.  One went 7-9, the other 2-14.  The variable is the GM.

We have the worst roster in the league.  That's indisputable.  The coaching doesn't make a difference.  Joe Douglas inherited a bad roster with some decent players to build around and then got rid of all the decent players.  We are an expansion team.  It didn't need to be like this.

SAR I

This isn't all on JD. Six years of  Idzak and Mac makes it almost impossible for any QB or HC to succeed.

I totally agree that the choice of a HC that wasn't a rookie HC was the right choice since no legit HC would even consider taken have the job.  He had some success in Miami with a QB that was out half the time with injuries.

I was behind Gase to begin with but he showed that dealth with a bad hand he couldn't overcome that.  And Sam suffered  that consensuses. 

1 hour ago, Jet Life said:

Look at all that crap on the left. How did we get so many assets from it? So thankful for JD

"Assets" = 2-14 and likely 4-13.  Not good.  Don't need assets.  Need players.  Douglas is like 2 for 10.

SAR I

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Oh the jets COULD be a lot better.

We will know the day after the draft if we have a good GM that we hope we have or another give lip service pretender GM.

Bingo.

2019 Free Agency = D

2020 Free Agency = D

2020 Draft = C

2021 Free Agency = C

2021 Draft =

Joe Douglas needs to pull an A to make us believe he's the real deal.  Right now he's not.  

SAR I

21 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

This isn't all on JD. Six years of  Idzak and Mac makes it almost impossible for any QB or HC to succeed.

I totally agree that the choice of a HC that wasn't a rookie HC was the right choice since no legit HC would even consider taken have the job.  He had some success in Miami with a QB that was out half the time with injuries.

I was behind Gase to begin with but he showed that dealth with a bad hand he couldn't overcome that.  And Sam suffered  that consensuses. 

Or the other way to look at it:

Adam Gase was hamstrung by an awful Maccagnan roster, awful Douglas replacements, outrageous injuries, selfish holdouts, and a bust franchise quarterback.  None of that was Gase's fault.  

He wasn't a good coach, I get that.  But the problems this team suffers from isn't coaching.  It's roster management.  It's Idzik, it's Maccagnan, it's Douglas.  Gase is a convenient scapegoat.  

SAR I

Rookie QB, Rookie Coach, Developing roster 

don’t care about wins this year. I only care that we play hard, we stay close in games and team shows grit, discipline. 

one thing we can find out this year - is Saleh the man. How does he lead them. 

this is comparable to Dolphins 2 years ago, their record suck but they played close in all games and most of all Flores showed he was a man to trust and lead. 

that’s all I want this year. 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Bingo.

2019 Free Agency = D

2020 Free Agency = D

2020 Draft = C

2021 Free Agency = C

2021 Draft =

Joe Douglas needs to pull an A to make us believe he's the real deal.  Right now he's not.  

SAR I

He is going to pull an A.  He going to take Wilson who has tons of talent and will fit great w/ this offensive scheme.  He will take a stud olineman just like he did in last draft.  He will find some playmakers to put around wilson.

You already know what JD is going to do in the draft.  You dont have to wait and see what he is going to do.  Its an A already.

With Saleh coaching up the D, by years end this is going to be one heck of a football team with a bright future.

There is literally 0 suspense on what the Jets will be next year.  A 6 win team that every expert will be telling you to watch out for the following year.