The Jets Aren't Going to be Good This Year

slats

9 hours ago, slats said:

Yeah, sorry to break it to you. 

Rookie head coach, rookie coordinators installing new systems on both sides of the ball with a rookie QB. There are just too many moving pieces here for everything to fall into place in the perfect way in their first year together. Hopefully Joe Douglas is the guy, Saleh turns out to be his watershed hire and Mike LaFluer is the first offensive coordinator the Jets ever had that isn't universally hated by the fanbase, and Zach Wilson (presumably) isn't just a franchise QB but a star - but it's just not going to come together that quickly. 

These expectations of 7 or more wins, top half offensive rankings... these are pipe dreams. 

Also looking to upgrade everywhere on offense in this draft while ignoring the defense is not going to happen - and it shouldn't. You already have the rookie QB, very possibly one rookie OL, and if some fans here had their way a rookie RB, WR, TE, and a second OL, too. All in the name of supporting the rookie QB - but that's not support, that's instability! The rookie offensive coordinator already has way more than enough on his hands trying to establish a new offense while simultaneously getting a rookie QB prepared to start the season. Those are two huge jobs that, preferably, would've been done in separate years. I'm sure that was part of the idea of rolling it back with Sam, if that's what it came to. 

Jets fans have become irrationally biased against the defense. It's still a team sport. I get all the defensive first round picks, the DTs and the safeties, I was there! But when Joe Douglas takes a QB at #2 this year, his first two first rounder's will've been offensive players, and the Jets will have gone offense in the first round three out of the last four years. This isn't year 49 of the rebuild, it's year two of JD's build and year one of the Saleh era. They're switching to an aggressive 4-3 zone defense that needs players, too. While Lafluer and the rookie QB are getting the offensive foundation built, wouldn't it be nice to see a nasty pass rush being developed on the other side of the ball? When's the last time we had that. Doesn't anyone realize that a defense that can stop the other team and get off the field helps the QB? Do you really want ZW throwing 40-50 times a game playing catch-up all day? If they take an Edge at #23, try just looking over the ledge instead of actually jumping. 

I think the best we can hope for is a team that is clearly showing signs of getting better as the year goes on, but that zone blocking OL and zone coverage secondary are gonna take some time to gel. But then at the end of the year, maybe we can have some of the usual grumbling about "meaningless wins destroying our draft position," even though in a new administration's first year, those late season wins would not be meaningless at all. They would be program building. 

I'm optimistic about the future, looking forward to seeing some signs of life, but the growing pains -I suspect- are going to be visibly ugly for much of the year.   

Sorry its SB Baby!????

Hehehehhe just kidding the fact that you got so many down votes lets us know how delusional some Jets fans can be...  :) 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Sorry its SB Baby!????

Hehehehhe just kidding the fact that you got so many down votes lets us know how delusional some Jets fans can be...  :) 

Just putting together my enemies list for the upcoming season...  

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, slats said:

Douglas got him a LT and WR with his first two picks last year. I expect a rookie starter on the OL this year. That's enough rookie starters when trying to install a new offense. He added a couple WRs and a RB in free agency. You may not love every move, but he's done a lot more for the offense before his second draft than the previous couple guys did in a decade. 

Yes and how did that work out?

9 hours ago, slats said:

Rookie head coach, rookie coordinators installing new systems on both sides of the ball with a rookie QB. There are just too many moving pieces here for everything to fall into place in the perfect way in their first year together. Hopefully Joe Douglas is the guy, Saleh turns out to be his watershed hire and Mike LaFluer is the first offensive coordinator the Jets ever had that isn't universally hated by the fanbase, and Zach Wilson (presumably) isn't just a franchise QB but a star - but it's just not going to come together that quickly. 

These expectations of 7 or more wins, top half offensive rankings... these are pipe dreams. 

Also looking to upgrade everywhere on offense in this draft while ignoring the defense is not going to happen - and it shouldn't. You already have the rookie QB, very possibly one rookie OL, and if some fans here had their way a rookie RB, WR, TE, and a second OL, too. All in the name of supporting the rookie QB - but that's not support, that's instability! The rookie offensive coordinator already has way more than enough on his hands trying to establish a new offense while simultaneously getting a rookie QB prepared to start the season. Those are two huge jobs that, preferably, would've been done in separate years. I'm sure that was part of the idea of rolling it back with Sam, if that's what it came to. 

Jets fans have become irrationally biased against the defense. It's still a team sport. I get all the defensive first round picks, the DTs and the safeties, I was there! But when Joe Douglas takes a QB at #2 this year, his first two first rounder's will've been offensive players, and the Jets will have gone offense in the first round three out of the last four years. This isn't year 49 of the rebuild, it's year two of JD's build and year one of the Saleh era. They're switching to an aggressive 4-3 zone defense that needs players, too. While Lafluer and the rookie QB are getting the offensive foundation built, wouldn't it be nice to see a nasty pass rush being developed on the other side of the ball? When's the last time we had that. Doesn't anyone realize that a defense that can stop the other team and get off the field helps the QB? Do you really want ZW throwing 40-50 times a game playing catch-up all day? If they take an Edge at #23, try just looking over the ledge instead of actually jumping. 

I think the best we can hope for is a team that is clearly showing signs of getting better as the year goes on, but that zone blocking OL and zone coverage secondary are gonna take some time to gel. But then at the end of the year, maybe we can have some of the usual grumbling about "meaningless wins destroying our draft position," even though in a new administration's first year, those late season wins would not be meaningless at all. They would be program building. 

I'm optimistic about the future, looking forward to seeing some signs of life, but the growing pains -I suspect- are going to be visibly ugly for much of the year.   

And how the hell do you know this? Teams go from worst to first all the time. Yet, the prediction of a close to .500 record isn't anywhere close to first. This roster by opening day will likely have 25 different players than last season. Not only can the Jets be a 7 win team but that's what I'm predicting.

42 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

He is going to pull an A.  He going to take Wilson who has tons of talent and will fit great w/ this offensive scheme.  He will take a stud olineman just like he did in last draft.  He will find some playmakers to put around wilson.

You already know what JD is going to do in the draft.  You dont have to wait and see what he is going to do.  Its an A already.

With Saleh coaching up the D, by years end this is going to be one heck of a football team with a bright future.

There is literally 0 suspense on what the Jets will be next year.  A 6 win team that every expert will be telling you to watch out for the following year.

I hope you are right, what he does at pick 23 and then 34 will tell the story a bout this gm.

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

He is going to pull an A.  He going to take Wilson who has tons of talent and will fit great w/ this offensive scheme.  He will take a stud olineman just like he did in last draft.  He will find some playmakers to put around wilson.

You already know what JD is going to do in the draft.  You dont have to wait and see what he is going to do.  Its an A already.

With Saleh coaching up the D, by years end this is going to be one heck of a football team with a bright future.

There is literally 0 suspense on what the Jets will be next year.  A 6 win team that every expert will be telling you to watch out for the following year.

Thanks. That makes me feel a lot better.  Just trust in Joe Douglas.  I can do that.  

SAR I

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Thanks. That makes me feel a lot better.  Just trust in Joe Douglas.  I can do that.  

SAR I

There you go buddy.  Get on board SAR.  Its going to be a hell of a ride.  Why do you want to have to be a here a year or 2 from now blabbing about how wrong you were about Douglas?  

Douglas - Saleh - Wilson = the holy trinity.  There hasnt been a threesome like this since Rush.  

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

There you go buddy.  Get on board SAR.  Its going to be a hell of a ride.  Why do you want to have to be a here a year or 2 from now blabbing about how wrong you were about Douglas?  

Douglas - Saleh - Wilson = the holy trinity.  There hasnt been a threesome like this since Rush.  

I’m onboard now.  Hell of a ride.  Holy trinity. Threesomes.  

SAR I

12 hours ago, slats said:

The Jets . . . hmmm . . .Well, the Draino you drank probably tasted far worse on the way up than it did on the way down. The upside is that the gag reflex serves a primal involuntary survival purpose. Sorry . . . ? 

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

SAR hates Rush.

He thinks their lyrics are too mainstream and quite childish.

But if we all post how much we HATE rush for six straight months, there will be an old dude with a fly by night sticker on his leased BMW 

12 minutes ago, peebag said:

try 52 years of this crap and get back to us.

52 past years has nothing to do w/ Joe Douglas, Rob Saleh, Zach Wilson etc. 

What did decades of bags over their heads mean when New Orleans got Brees/Payton?  

Jet fans need to drop that victim/loser mentality.  Joe D and Rob Saleh have nothing to do with the jets past.

3 years and we will be vying for a super bowl.  Get on board!!!!!!! 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, slats said:

If you want to make certain he gets killed, get him a rookie center and have a rookie RB back in pass protection. That oughta do it. 

Been saying this for weeks.

I don’t know where this idea came from, that the more 2021 rookies around a rookie QB the better that is. Let alone that there’s a successful coach in history who actually wants this. I’m seeing fan mock one after another with the first 5 picks in a row all on one side of the ball - including 3 rookie OLmen ffs - and actually think this is even a little bit smart. 

Also: draft all offense this year so we can watch half of that side of the ball not know wtf they’re doing together. Then we can do that for the defense next year. Then that’s if all goes well and as planned so that by 2023 the players can look like they didn’t first meet in the parking lot before the game. No champions were ever built just this way, so therefore it makes perfect sense to do just this.

I’m wondering if some are having trouble separating this from PlayStation/Xbox or fantasy football, where it’s as simple as listing new names because cohesion and familiarity and experience collectively have zero value. 

• Upvote 3

49 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Been saying this for weeks.

I don’t know where this idea came from, that the more 2021 rookies around a rookie QB the better that is. Let alone that there’s a successful coach in history who actually wants this. I’m seeing fan mock one after another with the first 5 picks in a row all on one side of the ball - including 3 rookie OLmen ffs - and actually think this is even a little bit smart. 

Also: draft all offense this year so we can watch half of that side of the ball not know wtf they’re doing together. Then we can do that for the defense next year. Then that’s if all goes well and as planned so that by 2023 the players can look like they didn’t first meet in the parking lot before the game. No champions were ever built just this way, so therefore it makes perfect sense to do just this.

I’m wondering if some are having trouble separating this from PlayStation/Xbox or fantasy football, where it’s as simple as listing new names because cohesion and familiarity and experience collectively have zero value. 

you know these draft all offense guys will never be satisfied. you give them 2,3 or more offensive picks in a row which most want OL, next year they will be wanting some top WR in the draft. and then there want the top RB with the Seattle pick. 

i wonder what Wilson number will be? it should be zero with a bullseye in the middle because he will get blitzed to death if we cant stop anyone on defense. and Bill Belicheck is famous for blitzing rookie QBs.

i think we all forget we have 2 1st rd picks next year. JD must know what positions will be good in that draft. its quite possible his plan is to get a OL with our pick which should be around 12-14. i think we win about 6 games this year. 

whoever we pick i dont think JD is just going to wing it. hes got a plan. and i dont think drafting 3 OL in the 1st rd is it. he cant pay all of them in 5 years. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, SAR I said:

But we beat 2 playoff teams last season!  Rams and Browns.  In consecutive weeks!  With a worse roster than the year prior!

It wasn't the schedule and it wasn't the coaching.  

It's the GM.  He gutted our roster and replaced it with nothing.

SAR I

But we beat 2 playoff teams last season!  Rams and Browns.  In consecutive weeks!

;-) 

7 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

What did decades of bags over their heads mean when New Orleans got Brees/Payton?  

Jet fans need to drop that victim/loser mentality.  Joe D and Rob Saleh have nothing to do with the jets past.

They can't they like it too much B)

The Jets will be entering the season in the same position the NY Knicks
did:

- Joke of a franchise, steeped in dysfunction
- Bad ownership
- Awful expectations
- Bad roster

The question is can the Jets repeat what the Knicks did to overcome those
"issues":

- James Dolan finally hired the right GM (Leon Rose)
- Rose assembled a good front office staff and hired a good HC (Tom Thibodeau)
- Thibodeau assembled a good player development staff and meshed with the front
office to determine the vision for the roster
- The coaching staff developed players before and during the season:
  * Julius Randle was a "JAG" and is now an All Star, who has developed into
    a "Batman"
  * RJ Barrett was a "consolation prize" after missing out on Zion Williamson.
    And in his second season he's left that tag behind.  Improving in every area
    and developing into a "Robin"
  * Before getting hurt Mitchell Robinson had developed into an effective starter
  * Immanuel Quickley was thought to be a "reach" as a first round pick.  He has
    outplayed his draft position and is a knockdown 3 point shooter
  * Roles were clearly defined for Derrick Rose, Alec Burks, Nerlens Noel, Reggie
    Bullock and Taj Gibson.  To where they're effective in every minute they get
- The coaching staff then implemented a clear style/identity (relentless defense)
which would define how the team would play.  That style allowed them to hover 
around .500 and develop confidence
- Now with players developing, roles defined and confidence building the team
is playing its best ball of the season (7 wins in a row).  And on the verge of
making the playoffs

Perceptions don't define how a season will go, the work people put in does

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I disagree with basically every word of this post. If anything Jets fans like you are still WAY too focused on defense. It is like our defense needs to be perfect and stocked with high end picks before we even pick offense. 

When we select Wilson, pretty much nothing else matters other than giving Wilson protection and weapons. You are advocating we do exactly what we did with Sam in picking Sam and then focusing our top picks on defense. Again. Also EDGE and CB are incredibly risky picks, we need to go OL at 23 and OL/WR/TE/RB with 34 and the 2 third rounders. We can pick defense next year.

And YES. throwing 40-50 times a game behind a decent OL with updgraded weapons is WAY better than drafting more friggin defense. Elite offenses go to the SB. Almost exclusively.

Most wrong post of the year IMO.

tenor.gif

I consider your disagreement a badge of honor, sir. You clearly do not understand how to build a football team. 

Yes, the QB is the most important piece of the puzzle, but it's not the only only piece. You and others in here act like getting the franchise QB is the end game. Tell that to Dan Marino. In this league you need to be able to do two things, not just one. You need to be able to throw the football, and you have to be able to stop the other team from throwing the football. The most valuable position after QB is Edge. You don't pass on the second most valuable position in the league for one of its least valuable: RB or TE. That's lunacy. The San Francisco 49ers didn't make it to the Super Bowl on the strength of Jimmy Garoppolo's QB skills, they rode Joey Bosa there. That's why they traded up to #3 this year, to dump the QB who got them to the big game just two years ago and take advantage of the team's strengths.  

And NO, throwing 40-50 times a game is a way to get your QB to develop bad habits - like Darnold, frankly. Being on such a bad team led him to take more risks, more risks meant more bad plays/turnovers, and that led to him being gone. You need each side of the ball to able able to trust the other. 

We can pick defense next year? Joe Douglas will not be heeding this terrible advice. He needs to BAP his way down this draft, adding the best player in each spot right down the line to continue to improve the overall roster. Then, next year, he has five picks in the top 100 again to address both offense and defense with the best player on his board when it's time to make his selection. That's how you build a championship team, not by passing on Edge Rushers and CBs for RBs, TEs, and OGs. 

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Or you’ll be excited about the next young QB we draft while Zach Wilson is clicking his heals on his way to a new team. 

19 hours ago, Savage69 said:

We had 7 wins in 2019 every season is a new beginning no one knows how this team will be but I'm not a SOJF so I'm excited about the new staff and think the team will be better then you think.. 

Don't get me too wrong here, I think the team is headed in the right direction. Liked the Joe Douglas hire, and I like his hires. 

I think this is going to be an ugly season, especially early, because there's just too much inexperience everywhere. Rookie HC, rookie OC & DC, rookie QB, all on a very young team that added nine draft picks and a few UDFAs last year, and will be adding at least another 10 picks and more UDFAs this year. That's just way too much learning on the job from the top down to expect it to gel quickly, IMHO. 

My hope, which I said in the OP, is that they get better as the season goes on, that maybe they're a team no one wants to play in December. I want to see some tangible evidence that they're headed in the right direction, evidence I don't expect to see show up in the standings or offensive rankings so much this year. I think we should see that. And it'll be funny if it does happen, because the people downvoting me left and right in this thread will be some of the same complaining about meaningless wins hurting our draft position at the end of the year. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Talent- wise, we still look to be a little behind the rest of the East this season, I think 2-4 against NE, Bills and Fins would be a victory, as long as we see continued development by the guys brought in last draft and potential from the guys we are bringing in.

Frankly, to add what we need to go on a 4-5 year run, wouldn’t be terrible to finish with another top 5 pick next draft , while we root for Seattle and Carolina to sheet the bed also.

we’ve waited so long, we can wait until 2022 and then be loaded for bear over the next 4-5 seasons with emerging talent and an inexpensive young QB.

11 hours ago, SAR I said:

I’m onboard now.  Hell of a ride.  Holy trinity. Threesomes.  

SAR I

Just remember tho...there's no room for expecting improvement or competitiveness. We cant expect this team to win, not even after a decade of losing. Wave banners and cheer loudly for our next version of 4-12 scrubs! Yay!

33 minutes ago, slats said:

Don't get me too wrong here, I think the team is headed in the right direction. Liked the Joe Douglas hire, and I like his hires. 

I think this is going to be an ugly season, especially early, because there's just too much inexperience everywhere. Rookie HC, rookie OC & DC, rookie QB, all on a very young team that added nine draft picks and a few UDFAs last year, and will be adding at least another 10 picks and more UDFAs this year. That's just way too much learning on the job from the top down to expect it to gel quickly, IMHO. 

My hope, which I said in the OP, is that they get better as the season goes on, that maybe they're a team no one wants to play in December. I want to see some tangible evidence that they're headed in the right direction, evidence I don't expect to see show up in the standings or offensive rankings so much this year. I think we should see that. And it'll be funny if it does happen, because the people downvoting me left and right in this thread will be some of the same complaining about meaningless wins hurting our draft position at the end of the year. 

With nothing more than slightly better coaching decisions on the defensive side of the ball we win 4 games last year.   The Oakland game and the New England game were defensive abominations by the coaching staff not the players.   There's another game this year.   We play the Jags, Eagles, Texans, Bengals, Carolina and New England twice next year.   We added starting edge and receiver talent in FA.  

Even though we are likely starting a rookie QB or a vet jag, it's hard to imagine getting worse QB play than what we got out of Darnold last year.  

I have no idea how this coaching staff is going to be.  I thought the Giants made a huge step last year simply on coaching and it's clear they had to make a move on their coaching staff during the season when Judge basically fired his OL coach.   Coaching is huge in the NFL.  We may actually have a top 10 NFL coaching staff.  That's a huge change if it's the case.  

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, slats said:

I consider your disagreement a badge of honor, sir. You clearly do not understand how to build a football team. 

Yes, the QB is the most important piece of the puzzle, but it's not the only only piece. You and others in here act like getting the franchise QB is the end game. Tell that to Dan Marino. In this league you need to be able to do two things, not just one. You need to be able to throw the football, and you have to be able to stop the other team from throwing the football. The most valuable position after QB is Edge. You don't pass on the second most valuable position in the league for one of its least valuable: RB or TE. That's lunacy. The San Francisco 49ers didn't make it to the Super Bowl on the strength of Jimmy Garoppolo's QB skills, they rode Joey Bosa there. That's why they traded up to #3 this year, to dump the QB who got them to the big game just two years ago and take advantage of the team's strengths.  

And NO, throwing 40-50 times a game is a way to get your QB to develop bad habits - like Darnold, frankly. Being on such a bad team led him to take more risks, more risks meant more bad plays/turnovers, and that led to him being gone. You need each side of the ball to able able to trust the other. 

We can pick defense next year? Joe Douglas will not be heeding this terrible advice. He needs to BAP his way down this draft, adding the best player in each spot right down the line to continue to improve the overall roster. Then, next year, he has five picks in the top 100 again to address both offense and defense with the best player on his board when it's time to make his selection. That's how you build a championship team, not by passing on Edge Rushers and CBs for RBs, TEs, and OGs. 

Once again I disagree with every word. 

We only need to look at our own history to see how wrong you are.

In normal situations I would agree that building a roster requires balance in drafting. I do not agree that EDGE is the second most important position in football. OT is more important and that has been shown over and over. 

This not a normal situation or a normal draft for the Jets

3 years ago we drafted our potential franchise QB in Sam. We had spent years focusing almost exclusively on defense and essentially ignoring offense for the most part and badly ignoring the offensive line. We had a mediocre OL at best, literally no playmakers (an UDFA being our best in RA) and on offense our highest drafted player was Brian Winters a 3rd round pick and JAG at best . But on defense we had 3 #1 Jets picks a #2 and a #3.

We draft Darnold. What do we do next? We follow your plan and draft "BAP". BTW Polian has many times debunked the concept of picking purely BAP in a draft. So we draft a DL at #2, a pass catching TE at 3, then back to defense for CB and DL and a throwaway pick on a RB at 6. We did nothing to address OL and got 1 mediocre playmaker.

So in the season Darnold has nobody really to throw to, suffers through a bad OL with Spencer Long at C, maybe the worst center in football. 

But surely we will help Sam in 2019, right. Well not even a little bit. Nope we do "BAP" again and of course once again "BAP" leads us to follow ignoring the offense with yet another DT in Q  at #1, then EDGE with Jachai Polite, a single project OT in the third and a overdrafted blocking TE in Wesco in the 4th then back to defense for linebacker

Sam has no no new weapons from the draft  and we go UDFA with Jonatthan Harrison at C (who was actually a big upgrade. the previous end of season with ) but not before we sign Kalil who fails horribly. We did sign Crowder at slot in FA which was good and way overpaid for Bell.

We proceed to have the worst OL in football history arguably and once again no weapons for Sam to throw to.

By 2020, everything falls apart. We even try to fix the OL drafting Becton and Clark, and Mims in the 2nd. But the OL is still horrible, Mims is injured all season and Darnold still has no weapons and basically collapses. We finish 2-14.

So now we draft a QB and still have one of the worst OL in the NFL. 

And your solution is to draft Wilson and then go back to drafting defense with our high picks like we did with Sam. It is madness. We HAVE to fix the OL and our higher picks need to be used to do that. We cannot ruin Zach like we did with Sam. Defense is completely secondary to fixing the offense and protecting Wilson,.

19 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Maybe.  But the last 52 years will have nothing to do w/ that.

100% agreed, yet the last 21 years certainly has. 

In January 2000, Johnson purchased the Jets for $635 million, at the time the third-highest price for a professional sports team and the highest for a New York professional sports team.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, slats said:

So in other words, we will be seeing Zach is a bust threads shortly.