The Jets Aren't Going to be Good This Year

3 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Once again I disagree with every word. 

We only need to look at our own history to see how wrong you are.

In normal situations I would agree that building a roster requires balance in drafting. I do not agree that EDGE is the second most important position in football. OT is more important and that has been shown over and over. 

This not a normal situation or a normal draft for the Jets

3 years ago we drafted our potential franchise QB in Sam. We had spent years focusing almost exclusively on defense and essentially ignoring offense for the most part and badly ignoring the offensive line. We had a mediocre OL at best, literally no playmakers (an UDFA being our best in RA) and on offense our highest drafted player was Brian Winters a 3rd round pick and JAG at best . But on defense we had 3 #1 Jets picks a #2 and a #3.

We draft Darnold. What do we do next? We follow your plan and draft "BAP". BTW Polian has many times debunked the concept of picking purely BAP in a draft. So we draft a DL at #2, a pass catching TE at 3, then back to defense for CB and DL and a throwaway pick on a RB at 6. We did nothing to address OL and got 1 mediocre playmaker.

So in the season Darnold has nobody really to throw to, suffers through a bad OL with Spencer Long at C, maybe the worst center in football. 

But surely we will help Sam in 2019, right. Well not even a little bit. Nope we do "BAP" again and of course once again "BAP" leads us to follow ignoring the offense with yet another DT in Q  at #1, then EDGE with Jachai Polite, a single project OT in the third and a overdrafted blocking TE in Wesco in the 4th then back to defense for linebacker

Sam has no no new weapons from the draft  and we go UDFA with Jonatthan Harrison at C (who was actually a big upgrade. the previous end of season with ) but not before we sign Kalil who fails horribly. We did sign Crowder at slot in FA which was good and way overpaid for Bell.

We proceed to have the worst OL in football history arguably and once again no weapons for Sam to throw to.

By 2020, everything falls apart. We even try to fix the OL drafting Becton and Clark, and Mims in the 2nd. But the OL is still horrible, Mims is injured all season and Darnold still has no weapons and basically collapses. We finish 2-14.

So now we draft a QB and still have one of the worst OL in the NFL. 

And your solution is to draft Wilson and then go back to drafting defense with our high picks like we did with Sam. It is madness. We HAVE to fix the OL and our higher picks need to be used to do that. We cannot ruin Zach like we did with Sam. Defense is completely secondary to fixing the offense and protecting Wilson,.

yeah but what your saying is only good guys come in the draft.

where playing Monday morning QB here. 

in sure in 2018 sams first year we were all happy with a returning Robby Anderson who had his best year as a jet with McCown in 2017. and Quincy Enunwa who missed 2017 but in 2016 had a pretty good year. 58 rec 857yds 4 TDs.

we also added Isiah Crowell who had 853 yds with Clev the year before. and Drafted Herndon. so going into the season i think we thought he had plenty of weapons. but now we know what happened. Anderson , Enunwa, their numbers dropped. but its must be them, not Sam. then Anderson has the best year of his career in Carolina with a guy who is suppose to be worst than Sam well see.

i can go on and on but i think you get my point. we tried to give Sam more weapons, fix the line in FA. but those signing failed for the most part.

but you seam to be saying we have to draft them, ...so drafted players dont fail as much as FAs? i would have to argue the opposite. more draft picks bust than FA signing.

are you happy with the 2 WRs we signed? so now we have 4 nice weapons for Wilson. if they don't play well or get injured will you be here in Dec telling us we failed to get Wilson weapons cause we didn't draft a WR? 

i don't want him to ignore offense or defense. but i got to trust JD ...... for now. 

like last year there was many OL early in the draft and JD got one. then trades back because there was depth in WRs and got one he wanted. 

maybe thats what he does this year too. maybe this year is the year to get a good CB and EDGE. maybe next year is the year were there will be depth is WR and OL.

i dont know about the draft next year. no of us do. but i bet JD does. its his job. 

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah, sorry to break it to you.  Rookie head coach, rookie coordinators installing new systems on both sides of the ball with a rookie QB. There are just too many moving pieces here for everythin

thanks for the update.

Would you call me crazy if I said we're going to start the season 5-0?

Posted Images

1 hour ago, doitny said:

yeah but what your saying is only good guys come in the draft.

where playing Monday morning QB here. 

in sure in 2018 sams first year we were all happy with a returning Robby Anderson who had his best year as a jet with McCown in 2017. and Quincy Enunwa who missed 2017 but in 2016 had a pretty good year. 58 rec 857yds 4 TDs.

we also added Isiah Crowell who had 853 yds with Clev the year before. and Drafted Herndon. so going into the season i think we thought he had plenty of weapons. but now we know what happened. Anderson , Enunwa, their numbers dropped. but its must be them, not Sam. then Anderson has the best year of his career in Carolina with a guy who is suppose to be worst than Sam well see.

i can go on and on but i think you get my point. we tried to give Sam more weapons, fix the line in FA. but those signing failed for the most part.

but you seam to be saying we have to draft them, ...so drafted players dont fail as much as FAs? i would have to argue the opposite. more draft picks bust than FA signing.

are you happy with the 2 WRs we signed? so now we have 4 nice weapons for Wilson. if they don't play well or get injured will you be here in Dec telling us we failed to get Wilson weapons cause we didn't draft a WR? 

i don't want him to ignore offense or defense. but i got to trust JD ...... for now. 

like last year there was many OL early in the draft and JD got one. then trades back because there was depth in WRs and got one he wanted. 

maybe thats what he does this year too. maybe this year is the year to get a good CB and EDGE. maybe next year is the year were there will be depth is WR and OL.

i dont know about the draft next year. no of us do. but i bet JD does. its his job. 

We have to draft OL because our OL is basically the worst in the NFL and we did not address it in free agency, so our only option is to prioritize it in the draft and with a rookie QB nothing else is more important than a good OL. It can ruin a QB (see Darnold) or elevate a decent QB (see Dak). I am not saying in general the draft is the only way to address OL, but at this point it is the option that is left.

• Upvote 3
8 hours ago, Biggs said:

Some times rookies are game changers.  

Sure, and as we all know too well, some rookies are stinkers. We’re all hoping that JD picks numerous game changers. That being said, every team in the league goes through the same process of bringing in Free Agents and draft picks. Success is a matter of outpacing the other teams’ improvements. 

20 hours ago, slats said:

Lol, the majority of that list is basically, "it was so bad last year, it can't be worse. Right?" 

I've been a fan of this team for far too long to fall for that nonsense. 

Whoa whoa whoa.....

The common narrative around here is that Adam Gase went 7-9 because of an "easy schedule", so Saleh better go 8-9 because a) this year's schedule is easier than Gase's and b) Douglas is two years more into his rebuild.

If we don't get 8 wins at a minimum, something is very wrong.  Don't give me this "4 wins is progress" garbage.  

SAR I

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1
44 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Whoa whoa whoa.....

The common narrative around here is that Adam Gase went 7-9 because of an "easy schedule", so Saleh better go 8-9 because a) this year's schedule is easier than Gase's and b) Douglas is two years more into his rebuild.

If we don't get 8 wins at a minimum, something is very wrong.  Don't give me this "4 wins is progress" garbage.  

SAR I

Not to mention they get an extra game to achieve that. Beyond fair, if they don’t I say you and  I kick in our Hard seltzer budgets and go see Sylvester  at Billboards are us 

• Post of the Week 1
7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Gase's 7-9 season has a SOS of -1.12 (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyj/2019.htm)

We won't know this for 2021 till after the season, so what is your source on this claim?

It feels like 2021 Panthers, Falcons, Texans, Broncos, Jaguars, Saints, Bengals, Eagles, Patriots, Patriots 

will be much easier than 2019 Browns, Eagles, Cowboys, Raiders, Ravens, Steelers, Patriots, Patriots

This year we have only 5 games against playoff teams and the Eagles, Panthers, Broncos, Jaguars, Saints, and Patriots don't have a quarterback, that's 7 games against QB weaklings with Saleh and our improved D.

And that 2019 SOS doesn't take into account what that team accomplished up against the most injuries in team history.  If that awful team with that sh-t GM and head coach could go 7-9, this healthy/improved team should be able to go 8-9 with this great GM and brilliant HC.

SAR I

21 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Not to mention they get an extra game to achieve that. Beyond fair, if they don’t I say you and  I kick in our Hard seltzer budgets and go see Sylvester  at Billboards are us 

Hey, if Saleh inherits Gase's bad luck with injuries he should go 7-10.  Gase got 7 wins with a bunch of third-stringers and a gimpy mono-drained quarterback.  7 wins should be in the bag, would be a joke if we didn't get there.

If the team stays perfectly healthy?  And if Douglas doesn't blow the K position?  10-7 would be the benchmark.  Again, 2019 happened, folks.  The Jets did go 7-9 with a HC worse than Saleh and a roster worse than Douglas's and none of your SOJF Cancel Culture is going to change that.

SAR I

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

It feels like 2021 Panthers, Falcons, Texans, Broncos, Jaguars, Saints, Bengals, Eagles, Patriots, Patriots 

will be much easier than 2019 Browns, Eagles, Cowboys, Raiders, Ravens, Steelers, Patriots, Patriots

This year we have only 5 games against playoff teams and the Eagles, Panthers, Broncos, Jaguars, Saints, and Patriots don't have a quarterback, that's 7 games against QB weaklings with Saleh and our improved D.

And that 2019 SOS doesn't take into account what that team accomplished up against the most injuries in team history.  If that awful team with that sh-t GM and head coach could go 7-9, this healthy/improved team should be able to go 8-9 with this great GM and brilliant HC.

SAR I

So your answer is "no source" then, just a 'feeling', got it.

Is this gonna be your thing all year?  The "Strident Defense of Gase's Brilliant Legacy" thing?

If so, that's cool, you do you.  I'm just thinking that will grow old fast once the season starts.  

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Whoa whoa whoa.....

SAR I

When you say he "better" go 8-9, what happens if he doesnt?  You and the 7 other people that dont understand what is going on here are mad?  Im sure Saleh and Douglas are shaking in their boots.

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Hey, if Saleh inherits Gase's bad luck with injuries he should go 7-10.  Gase got 7 wins with a bunch of third-stringers and a gimpy mono-drained quarterback.  7 wins should be in the bag, would be a joke if we didn't get there.

If the team stays perfectly healthy?  And if Douglas doesn't blow the K position?  10-7 would be the benchmark.  Again, 2019 happened, folks.  The Jets did go 7-9 with a HC worse than Saleh and a roster worse than Douglas's and none of your SOJF Cancel Culture is going to change that.

SAR I

I think one of the knocks on Gase is that he never seem to have an answer for anything. No QB coach with a struggling young QB and no attempt at any solution for the injury issues. We need to hope Saleh is more proactive, I can assure you that injuries aren’t entirely bad luck, they can be minimized and handled with proper training and targeted solutions. Bringing in Dr. Brad Deweese to head up the new Athletic performance and Care department is a very good sign that he has the ability  to recognize and willingness  to at least attempt to correct deficiencies, something Gase literally never did in either of his head coaching tenures. I do agree that 8 wins with this schedule is beyond reasonable 

8 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

When you say he "better" go 8-9, what happens if he doesnt?  You and the 7 other people that dont understand what is going on here are mad?  Im sure Saleh and Douglas are shaking in their boots.

Honestly I don’t think you understand. A football team needs to win in order to believe in the program. Whatever moral victory or some called progress means nothing unless these guys experience winning together. I think 8 wins in 17 games with this schedule is reasonable. Anything less than 6 and the players will start to lose faith in the system. Don’t mind SAR I, he’s still trying to come beck from his Adam Gase Addiction. We need to support him: 

9 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Honestly I don’t think you understand. A football team needs to win in order to believe in the program. Whatever moral victory or some called progress means nothing unless these guys experience winning together. I think 8 wins in 17 games with this schedule is reasonable. Anything less than 6 and the players will start to lose faith in the system. Don’t mind SAR I, he’s still trying to come beck from his Adam Gase Addiction. We need to support him: 

This is step 1 of a ground up rebuild.  Do you think bengals fans last year were yelling, Joe Burrow "better" win 8 games this year or else.

I mean, there is a portion of jet fans who are completely clueless as to what is going on here.  And in 2023 when we are competing for a Super Bowl annually moving forward, maybe they will then gain a clue as to how this works.

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

This is step 1 of a ground up rebuild.  Do you think bengals fans last year were yelling, Joe Burrow "better" win 8 games this year or else.

I mean, there is a portion of jet fans who are completely clueless as to what is going on here.  And in 2023 when we are competing for a Super Bowl annually moving forward, maybe they will then gain a clue as to how this works.

Don’t dissagree but if what you say is going on here is actually going on here we should see some wins. That’s the ultimate way to know it’s working and happening, 6-8 be nice. 

37 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So your answer is "no source" then, just a 'feeling', got it.

From this point forward I will require a "source" for every opinion you offer on the internet.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
13 hours ago, the Claw said:

Sure, and as we all know too well, some rookies are stinkers. We’re all hoping that JD picks numerous game changers. That being said, every team in the league goes through the same process of bringing in Free Agents and draft picks. Success is a matter of outpacing the other teams’ improvements. 

I was talking about the coaching staff.  Obviously the talent game, FA and the draft is part of the competition.  

Based on FA the Pats probably moved the needle more than we did.  If we pick Zach and he pans out we make a big leap. 

35 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Planes will fly.  Billboards will be raised.  The same people that wanted Gase gone after 4 weeks will not tolerate this crap for 4 years.  Or are you saying that's not the right expectation?  

I don't give a crap about Gase, he's not here anymore.  But give the man credit, he went 7-9 with a beat up, injured, and depleted Maccagnan roster and this year's schedule is easier, the coaching staff is magnificent, the GM is brilliant......how could Saleh not get us the same 7 wins if the team is hit with injuries again or 10 wins if we stay healthy?

SAR I

33 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I think one of the knocks on Gase is that he never seem to have an answer for anything. No QB coach with a struggling young QB and no attempt at any solution for the injury issues.

Gase was a bad head coach.  But he got 7 wins out of the worst Jets team we've seen since Kotite.  That happened.  And our expectations for Saleh should be the same.  The standards we hold Saleh to should be the same.  

35 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I do agree that 8 wins with this schedule is beyond reasonable 

lylom9ms8ctiqbnbvrlg

Jags, Bengals, Saints, Eagles, and one against a division foe are expected home wins.  That's 5.

Broncos, Texans, Panthers, and one against a division foe are expected road wins.  That's 4.

That's 9 games we should be able to win.  Last year we pulled some big upsets against playoff teams, perhaps we can take a team like the Bills or Colts too.  Saleh needs to get to 8 wins to better Gase and his "2019 was an easy schedule" season.  That's not an unreasonable expectation.

SAR I

14 minutes ago, SAR I said:

From this point forward I will require a "source" for every opinion you offer on the internet.

SAR I

Strength of Schedule is a statistic. 

Not an opinion.

11 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Planes will fly.  Billboards will be raised.  The same people that wanted Gase gone after 4 weeks will not tolerate this crap for 4 years.  Or are you saying that's not the right expectation?  

I don't give a crap about Gase, he's not here anymore.  But give the man credit, he went 7-9 with a beat up, injured, and depleted Maccagnan roster and this year's schedule is easier, the coaching staff is magnificent, the GM is brilliant......how could Saleh not get us the same 7 wins if the team is hit with injuries again or 10 wins if we stay healthy?

SAR I

Rex Ryan once went 8-8 with Geno Smith at QB. 

Let's hand out participation trophies to everyone. 

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

The only mistake we made with Gase was waiting 4 weeks for the plane and billboards.  We should have done that the day after he was hired.  That is our fault for waiting 4 weeks.  But in the end, result accomplished.

There will be 0 groundswell regarding Douglas and Saleh no matter what happens this year.  So there will be 0 planes or billboards going anywhere.

But it does feel good to know our plane/billboard led to Gase's firing.  How awesome!

SAR I

I think it's reasonable to believe that the same people who were funding the Gase clown stuff will jump off the ship quickly if the Jets suck as much as they did last year.   Gase did a good job in year 1.  He got rid of Mac and held the team together.  Year 2 was a dumpster fire for Gase and the team.

No doubt Gase sucks less than most Jets fans think.  Also no doubt he's a bottom tier HC at best.  Two teams with very limited success and a lot of second guessing by his own players, ownership and league sources.

The question is will those who weren't invested in dumping Gase after 4 weeks be invested in dumping Saleh and Douglas if we don't win 10 games this year?  If the team is improving, watchable, interesting and young players are developing under the new coaches?  

There are measurables beyond the W and L.  Not wanting to rip my eyes out of my head watching the Jets on O would be a measurable improvement. 

• Upvote 1
24 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

NO.

This is Step 5 of a rebuild that's been underway since Christopher Johnson announced it in 2017.

In 2017, "The Suck For Sam Strategy" happened. 

In 2018, "The Growing Pains With The Young Quarterback Strategy" happened. 

In 2019 "The Build Around The Young Quarterback Strategy" happened. 

In 2020 "The Deep Draft and Tons Of Free Agent Cap Space Strategy" happened.

Step 1 my ass.  You aren't going to cancel the last 4 years of our lives because it suits your bizarre agenda, like Joe Douglas hasn't been actively involved in the construction of this roster since 2019, like Adam Gase didn't go 7-9, like Douglas' last three free agency periods weren't weak and his draft mediocre.

This free pass you give Joe Douglas is bizarre.  Truly.  Shedding players and gathering assets only works if the man gathering the assets does an exceptional job.  He hasn't.  And if he has, well, this is the season to show it.  Time's up.

SAR I

9 minutes ago, slats said:

Rex Ryan once went 8-8 with Geno Smith at QB. 

Let's hand out participation trophies to everyone. 

Cool.  Robert Saleh can have that as a benchmark too.

Mike Maccagnan was the worst GM in the NFL.  Adam Gase was the worst head coach in the NFL.  Sam Darnold was the worst starting quarterback in the NFL.  If those scrubs could get 7 wins depleted by injury then 8 wins with this cupcake schedule from our upgraded GM, HC, and Roster is a reasonable expectation.  

SAR I

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

For someone invested in “PSL Gold”, you’d think he wouldn’t be ok accepting a mediocre Gase/Darnold/Adams core which screams .500 at best for the next decade 

3 minutes ago, Jet Life said:

For someone invested in “PSL Gold”, you’d think he wouldn’t be ok accepting a mediocre Gase/Darnold/Adams core which screams .500 at best for the next decade 

I am perfectly fine with Saleh, LeFleur, and Wilson.  That feels better than Gase, Loggains, and Darnold.  Saleh has energy and will relate to the players far better.  LeFleur is that hot young coordinator steeped in the winning Shanahan system.  Wilson has a cannon arm and no baggage.  Go Jets!

But I am not sold on Douglas.  He was handed the best head start any NFL GM has ever been given-  a team already 3 years into a rebuild, a ton of cap space, strong draft capital, and a 10 month head start on his first draft.  And all we did is go from a promising 7-9 to a tragic 2-14.  And the coaching was the same.  And the quarterback was the same.  Douglas has been here a lot longer than people want to imagine and we're supposed to be improved by now, not sitting at rock bottom.

SAR I

This is really all a moot point because the Jets are going to win btwn 6-8 games.  Saleh's defense alone will make sure of that.

But even if they won 4-5 games, it doesnt matter.  This season isnt about wins.  This season is about this coaching staff and young players growing together and setting the foundation for the next 10 years when we will be perrenial Super bowl contenders every year.  

We are in stage 1 of becoming the Ravens steelers, saints etc.  Long term success is the goal.

Enjoy jet fans.  We have finally done it!

9 minutes ago, SAR I said:

NO.

This is Step 5 of a rebuild that's been underway since Christopher Johnson announced it in 2017.

In 2017, "The Suck For Sam Strategy" happened. 

In 2018, "The Growing Pains With The Young Quarterback Strategy" happened. 

In 2019 "The Build Around The Young Quarterback Strategy" happened. 

In 2020 "The Deep Draft and Tons Of Free Agent Cap Space Strategy" happened.

Step 1 my ass.  You aren't going to cancel the last 4 years of our lives because it suits your bizarre agenda, like Joe Douglas hasn't been actively involved in the construction of this roster since 2019, like Adam Gase didn't go 7-9, like Douglas' last three free agency periods weren't weak and his draft mediocre.

This free pass you give Joe Douglas is bizarre.  Truly.  Shedding players and gathering assets only works if the man gathering the assets does an exceptional job.  He hasn't.  And if he has, well, this is the season to show it.  Time's up.

SAR I

I'm convinced that you come here just to practice your false narrative writing skills. 

• Haha 1
26 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Gase was a bad head coach.  But he got 7 wins out of the worst Jets team we've seen since Kotite.  That happened.  And our expectations for Saleh should be the same.  The standards we hold Saleh to should be the same.  

lylom9ms8ctiqbnbvrlg

Jags, Bengals, Saints, Eagles, and one against a division foe are expected home wins.  That's 5.

Broncos, Texans, Panthers, and one against a division foe are expected road wins.  That's 4.

That's 9 games we should be able to win.  Last year we pulled some big upsets against playoff teams, perhaps we can take a team like the Bills or Colts too.  Saleh needs to get to 8 wins to better Gase and his "2019 was an easy schedule" season.  That's not an unreasonable expectation.

SAR I

Big upset wins? Haha , yeah, 

I am perfectly fine with Saleh, LeFleur, and Wilson.  That feels better than Gase, Loggains, and Darnold.  Saleh has energy and will relate to the players far better.  LeFleur is that hot young coordinator steeped in the winning Shanahan system.  Wilson has a cannon arm and no baggage.  Go Jets!

But I am not sold on Douglas.  He was handed the best head start any NFL GM has ever been given-  a team already 3 years into a rebuild, a ton of cap space, strong draft capital, and a 10 month head start on his first draft.  And all we did is go from a promising 7-9 to a tragic 2-14.  And the coaching was the same.  And the quarterback was the same.  Douglas has been here a lot longer than people want to imagine and we're supposed to be improved by now, not sitting at rock bottom.

SAR I

I think most people agree that we are in a great spot but of course he still has to land the picks. He has a hand picked coach and QB. If the coach and QB are good and he hits a decent amount of these firsts and 2nds, he should be here for a very long time. If Wilson falls on his face he will be gone. I agree you can’t crown him yet but I think the foundation is there to build something great. Now it’s up to JD.

• Upvote 2
53 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

This is not step one.

• Post of the Week 1
2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

This is really all a moot point because the Jets are going to win btwn 6-8 games.  Saleh's defense alone will make sure of that. But even if they won 4-5 games, it doesnt matter.  This season isnt about wins.  This season is about this coaching staff and young players growing together and setting the foundation for the next 10 years when we will be perrenial Super bowl contenders every year.  

We are in stage 1 of becoming the Ravens steelers, saints etc.  Long term success is the goal.

Enjoy jet fans.  We have finally done it!

OMG, stage one?  How many more frickin stages?  At this rate, it's going to be a very painful decade. #noshortcuts.

• Post of the Week 1
1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

That second paragraph is gold, Jerry. 

Gold. 

25 minutes ago, slats said:

I'm convinced that you come here just to practice your false narrative writing skills. 

How as a Jets fan can you possibly believe that this is Year 1 of our rebuild?  This has been going on since 2017, Suck For Sam, remember?

Boggles the mind the way so many act like this is some brand new day, some brand new strategy.  The rebuild should be ending.  It's not starting.

SAR I

• Upvote 1