Vikings at 14 seems like trade partner...

I see 340 pts difference on 1 chart.

Our 2nd round pick is too high unless you want to trade them a 2022 2nd round pick to move up from 23 to 14.

I'm not up for surrendering high picks this year.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, LockeJET said:

The Jets did not acquire all these picks to then use them to trade up. Not a team that has holes everywhere. if anything we could trade out of the first round altogether from 23 or at least back some spots towards the end of the first. 

Why not? We’re not gonna start 2 rookies on the OL in front of a rookie QB. We’re not gonna start a rookie WR over Mims, Davis, Cole, Crowder unless Mims is a bust. 

Rookies have a chance to start at 1 OL spot, 1 LB spot, 1 CB spot, 1 EDGE or 1 TE spot. Move up and grab the surest thing you can get at OL and protect Wilson. We’ll still have 2 3rd rounders to find a CB starter. 

• Upvote 4
2 hours ago, LockeJET said:

The Jets did not acquire all these picks to then use them to trade up. Not a team that has holes everywhere. if anything we could trade out of the first round altogether from 23 or at least back some spots towards the end of the first. 

Usually agree, but I’m fine with using it to take a higher tier skill position player if available. There’s also the two 3rd rounders we have at our disposal.

1 hour ago, QB1 said:

No chance we give up 34 to move up unless it’s to grab Pitts 

Pitts ain’t making it to 14

If JD was actually smart he’d draft Pitts at 2 and Mond at 33

• Thumb Down 2
  • Haha 2
19 hours ago, LockeJET said:

Agree.

Trade back. Left the draft come to you.

• Upvote 1
19 hours ago, HighPitch said:

ya were sitting real nice at 23 and 34 moving up and losing 34 would be super silly

Agree.

It’s the difference between maybe Slater vs. Teven Jenkins + Terrance Marshall

• Upvote 1
19 hours ago, LockeJET said:

I mean, that's one of the benefits of acquiring extra picks. Flexibility to get top tier players. Whether that's trading up or down or for a proven player.

10 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Agree.

Trade back. Left the draft come to you.

I'm way more interested in trading back to get more 2nd-3rd round picks. Just feel like there is a really nice haul to be had there at a position like corner or OL. How much better is Vera Tucker or Teven Jenkins than a guy like Trey Smith/Wyatt Davis or Cosmi/Radunz/Leatherwood to justify trading up to get them? Sure, I'd prefer the 1st round guys, but not enough to give up crucial draft capital for a league-worst roster to me.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

I'm way more interested in trading back to get more 2nd-3rd round picks. Just feel like there is a really nice haul to be had there at a position like corner or OL. How much better is Vera Tucker or Teven Jenkins than a guy like Trey Smith/Wyatt Davis or Cosmi/Radunz/Leatherwood to justify trading up to get them? Sure, I'd prefer the 1st round guys, but not enough to give up crucial draft capital for a league-worst roster to me.

100% agreed.

Its bad enough we’re going to overdraft a QB at 2.

• Upvote 2

The question is, who would make you want to trade up?

9 guys are probably locks to be gone.  TL, Wilson, Fields, Jones, Lance, Sewell, Chase, Pitts, Waddle.

The next batch in some order likely to go includes Surtain, Smith, Slater, Horn, Darrishaw, AVT, Parsons, 

But that makes 16, meaning at least three of the latter group will be available at 14.  Probably all of them will be gone by 23.

So which, if any of those guys would you want enough to trade up from 23 for?

Minnesota also could be in play to trade up with the Jets in the third. Without that second round pick, could have somebody on the board they value really highly at 66 and they've got two third and four fourth round picks to go up and get somebody.

I like the teams with multiple day three picks. Philly can put together a clean trade up to 23, Washington and Dallas can do the same to 34, the Jets and Vegas could work out something weird where they pretty much flip flop day 2 capital and the Jets drop down a little but pick up an extra day 2 pick for it. The Browns could also trade three day two picks for 34 and one of the Jets two fives. That would be awesome.

I think the late second to early fourth round area is just absolutely loaded with guys who fill medium term needs and that's what Douglas seems to draft in that range. Would expect he tries to accumulate in that area but maybe I'm dead wrong.

Could even pick up Detroit's early 4 for dropping down from 34 to 41, and they've got a compensatory 3rd so maybe they don't mind so much if there's a guy they like. Lots of cool stuff Douglas can do with 23/34 to add extra guys.

20 hours ago, OMA said:

Looking at a team with no 2nd round pick and what seems to be a focus on fixing their defensive front.  With the 14th pick I think the def tackles and ends may be overvalued there and could see them wanting to slide down a bit.  Personally if one of either Waddle, Surtain or Slater are there at 14 I would be ok with 23 and a 2nd but no clue what the trade chart would value that drop at.

#23 and #34 or #23 and a next years 2nd? 

16 minutes ago, nycdan said:

The question is, who would make you want to trade up?

9 guys are probably locks to be gone.  TL, Wilson, Fields, Jones, Lance, Sewell, Chase, Pitts, Waddle.

The next batch in some order likely to go includes Surtain, Smith, Slater, Horn, Darrishaw, AVT, Parsons, 

But that makes 16, meaning at least three of the latter group will be available at 14.  Probably all of them will be gone by 23.

So which, if any of those guys would you want enough to trade up from 23 for?

Within the locks list, I start making calls around 7 if Pitts gets past Miami.

I think it's possible Sewell slides. He sat a year and didn't test particularly well. Cincinnati is the obvious landing spot but they seem like they're going WR and generally don't hide their intentions well. Don't think Miami takes him. The well connected guys have had Slater over him, too. Honestly depends on their evaluation and how far he slips.

The earlier the QB's go the better, obviously. And then those defensive guys getting pushed up the board helps too. To be fair, lots of freak athletes in that list of defensive players. If Atlanta takes a QB or trades down to a team who wants one, Miami takes Parsons...guys start to slip.

I do like Slater and Smith.  Once you get into the early-mid teens and the capital you have to give up starts to become a little lower and I would think seriously about it.

Minnesota's an interesting example. On the trade chart with me doing quick mental math it looks like 23 + 34 + 226 for 14 + 78 + 168 is pretty fair. That recoups Minnesota their second round pick, lets them keep their other third, and still leaves the Jets with three third round picks which I think is a great area of the draft for them. Any move up/move down where they're not losing picks is nice IMO.

Minnesota's got two third and four fourth round picks too - so if they don't see using them all they could actually trade 14 + 90 + 119 + 143 for 23 + 34 and I think that matches within a half a point on the chart. I'm pretty okay with getting a guy who's sliding and adding two fourth round picks at the cost of flipping from 34 to a third rounder - but that's probably not entirely realistic. Would be cool though.

I would make the trade to include 2021 2nd if one of the three I mentioned in original post were there (waddle, surtain, slater).  To balance it Minnesota could add a 4th rd pick.  

21 hours ago, LockeJET said:

Seems the majority of people here agree with you but I feel that the Jets WILL trade up in this draft if it makes sense even in the 1st round. Also I am sure that JD was OK with using Darnold in a pic swap so he may use the 2nd and 4th next year for that purpose as well. Guess it depends on who falls and how close they are to us.

Usually at this point you know a good many likely picks for teams but outside the Top 2 the entire draft is up in the air. Could be a wild first round

22 hours ago, OMA said:

Looking at a team with no 2nd round pick and what seems to be a focus on fixing their defensive front.  With the 14th pick I think the def tackles and ends may be overvalued there and could see them wanting to slide down a bit.  Personally if one of either Waddle, Surtain or Slater are there at 14 I would be ok with 23 and a 2nd but no clue what the trade chart would value that drop at.

You trade up for a QB or you trade up when you are a really good team and you think 1 player can make the difference. 
You don't trade up for WR4 on your board because you don't want to get stuck with WR6 on your draft board. 

1 hour ago, derp said:

Within the locks list, I start making calls around 7 if Pitts gets past Miami.

I think it's possible Sewell slides. He sat a year and didn't test particularly well. Cincinnati is the obvious landing spot but they seem like they're going WR and generally don't hide their intentions well. Don't think Miami takes him. The well connected guys have had Slater over him, too. Honestly depends on their evaluation and how far he slips.

The earlier the QB's go the better, obviously. And then those defensive guys getting pushed up the board helps too. To be fair, lots of freak athletes in that list of defensive players. If Atlanta takes a QB or trades down to a team who wants one, Miami takes Parsons...guys start to slip.

I do like Slater and Smith.  Once you get into the early-mid teens and the capital you have to give up starts to become a little lower and I would think seriously about it.

Minnesota's an interesting example. On the trade chart with me doing quick mental math it looks like 23 + 34 + 226 for 14 + 78 + 168 is pretty fair. That recoups Minnesota their second round pick, lets them keep their other third, and still leaves the Jets with three third round picks which I think is a great area of the draft for them. Any move up/move down where they're not losing picks is nice IMO.

Minnesota's got two third and four fourth round picks too - so if they don't see using them all they could actually trade 14 + 90 + 119 + 143 for 23 + 34 and I think that matches within a half a point on the chart. I'm pretty okay with getting a guy who's sliding and adding two fourth round picks at the cost of flipping from 34 to a third rounder - but that's probably not entirely realistic. Would be cool though.

I think Cincy takes Slater over Sewell if they go OL.

I can see using day 3 picks to move up a couple of spots to ensure they get a guy but I just don’t see them giving up any premium picks; not in this stage of the rebuild.

I agree with mike t that in many cases you need quality over quantity.  The izdik 12 was frustrating bc you knew a bunch wouldn’t even make the team so it seemed late picks were drafted.  Why draft 3 Wrs late when you know you will cut 1 to2. But again, in my opinion that applies to day 3 picks.   

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, OMA said:

I Am The Smartest Man Alive GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

although not the three players I called out this was a good move in my opinion.  shocked we did not have to give up 34 but vikings needed pics.  

Well played sir, well played.

12 minutes ago, OMA said:

I Am The Smartest Man Alive GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

although not the three players I called out this was a good move in my opinion.  shocked we did not have to give up 34 but vikings needed pics.  

Lol, that's great. Good call.

On 4/20/2021 at 2:33 PM, OMA said:

This guy's CRAZY no one in their right mind would ever make a deal like that and he should be ***** OFFICIALLY***** banned for even suggesting such travesty here on Da Nation.

• Haha 2