mike tannenbaum trade ups.

doitny

i just heard he was hosting a show next Wednesday between 10am-12 on who the jets and giants should draft. he will be joined by Rex and Sanchez.

i know what your going to say, those guys are horrible, why should we listen to them? well those guys help us have the 2 best back to back years in jets history.

and some of you will say...... no it was all Mangini...

well guess what, Mangini will be there too. 

i tried to find where it will be. im guessing ESPN but i couldnt find anything yet. but what i did find was this interesting article on how Tannenbaum trade up to get Revis and Mangold. i jst thought it was interesting considering how some of you say Tann traded all our 1st rd picks. 

Mike Tannenbaum’s Draft Mantra: ‘Quality Over Quantity’ (newyorkjets.com)

When it comes to the NFL Draft, Mike Tannenbaum, the Jets' former executive who wore many hats with the club from 1997-2012, has a simple mantra: Quality over quantity.

Though he is the first person to decline to tell Jets GM Joe Douglas and HC Robert Saleh what to do with their basket full of draft picks -- 10 this year, including two in the first round (Nos. 2 and 23) and two in the third (Nos. 66 and 86) -- Tannenbaum pointed to a pair of transactions during his tenure that proved to be foundational picks when he appeared with Eric Allen and Ethan Greenberg on The Official Jets Podcast.

Exhibit 1: Darrelle Revis.

The eventual lockdown cornerback opted out of the NFL Scouting Combine in 2007 because of an injury. His true quality was a bit of an unknown because, playing for Pittsburgh in the Big East Conference Revis did not face many pro quality wide receivers. Revis was among a group of three CBs -- which included Leon Hall of Michigan and Aaron Ross of Texas -- thought to be the best in the draft.

All that changed, at least for the Jets, when Pittsburgh held its Pro Day.

"Darrelle was a late-declaring junior," Tannebaum said. "There wasn't a lot of information on him, period. So when you watched the tape you just couldn't see him playing against great competition. So Terry Bradway [the Jets' former GM, then a scout] called me from the airport in Pittsburgh after Darelle's workout. We needed a corner terribly, and we had a first-round pick [No. 25]. He's telling me he's phenomenal. What a lot of people didn't realize about Darrelle is how strong he was. In addition, he had an unbelievable workout. His change of direction was incredible. So now you marry that with quickness and you have a Hall of Famer, obviously."

Before Revis could become a Jets player, Tannenbaum first sought out Houston in a bid to trade up to their No. 10 pick. When that failed, Tannenbaum forged a deal with Carolina, getting their first-rounder, No. 14, in exchange for the Jets' picks in the first, second and fifth rounds.

"We moved up 11 spots," he said. "I told Carolina we were coming up for one player and would make the deal on the clock if he was still available. They wanted to move back and we wanted to move up. So when the 13th pick came up [and St. Louis took Adam Carriker] I knew Revis was a Jet."

And unless you've been marooned on an island, the trade and the selection of Revis still stand as one of the most astute deals in Jets draft history.

Which brings us to ... Exhibit 2

The Jets' NFL Draft in 2006 put down the foundation on the offensive line that lasted for a decade and helped the team to appearances in the AFC title game in 2009 and 2010.

With the fourth pick, their own, the Jets selected OT D'Brickashaw Ferguson out of Virginia, via Freeport, NY, on Long Island. Then, with the fourth-to-last selection in the first round Tannenbaum authored an eye-opening three-way trade and landed Ohio State center Nick Mangold.

"When I had the privilege of being the Jets general manager, my first draft was '06 and our first two picks were D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Nick Mangold," Tannebaum said. "They were the foundation for a lot of great teams that we had and that was in the formative year of my career. In 2005 in seven snaps we lost two quarterbacks in Chad Pennington and Jay Fiedler. When I was promoted to GM, my point was very simple: If you can't protect your quarterback nothing else matters, you can't win on the road, you can't handle the crowd noise, you can't run the ball when they know you're going to run the ball. Unless your offensive line is fortified nothing else really matters."

Mangold turned in a seminal performance at the Senior Bowl and was widely regarded as the top center in the draft. The complicated gambit to get Mangold began when the Jets decided not to re-sign DE John Abraham, Atlanta expressed interest, but only offered a second-round pick. Seattle entered the picture, offering a first-rounder, No. 31. Denver, too, was keen to land Abraham, but would not meet his contract demands. So the Falcons and the Broncos swapped first-round picks; Denver getting No. 15, Atlanta No. 29.

"It was a win-win, everyone benefited," Tannenbaum said. "There were three players we were looking at at 29, I'll never forget this, they go right before Nick and we were happy Nick was there at 29. I was relieved and gosh, we just took two offensive linemen in the first round and I didn't think a lot of people were going to be happy. And the phone rings. It's [Baltimore GM] Ozzie Newsome and he says you're the luckiest guy in the NFL right now. He was at No. 12 and says it was Nick Mangold or DT Haloti Ngata, 'it was a coin toss in our room.' If we're having this conversation a month from now we'll be saying 'I can't believe how that happened.' "

In fact, it was the first time a team drafted two offensive linemen in the first round since 1975 when the Los Angeles Rams picked Dennis Harrah and Doug France.

"I'm a big believer in quality over quantity," Tannenbaum stressed.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

31 minutes ago, doitny said:

That is all you need to read, because history shows you need quantity to get quality.  You can't trade all your picks to get three guys and hope all three are starters.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I’m not sold..... as a GM he was not very good.  YES these picks, his three best were great.  BUT, he has a TON of 1st round busts and overpaid contracts to his busts.   

conversely he was 10x better than the next two gms so....

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Traded up for Kellen Clemens.  Traded for Tim Tebow.  Now thinks Zach Wilson is the best qb in the draft

34FB7DDE-5EF6-41A9-9CDE-7D5BB74C2660.jpeg.492dbb907f2bc8427638d534f810f504.jpeg

His trade up for Clemens was a very good move in that draft.

He 1st traded down with washignton and got an extra 2nd rounder for the next year, he then traded back up to get Clemens.  Clemens was highly regarded and a good move, it did not work out but Clemens stayed in the league for like 12-14 years.

He made some great, 'go for it' moves but he had a bewildering habit of trading down for shi* value and then treating late round picks like a joke to be given away and handed to rex ryan

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

His trade up for Clemens was a very good move in that draft.

He 1st traded down with washignton and got an extra 2nd rounder for the next year, he then trade back up to get Clemens.  Clemens was highly regarded and a good move, it did not work out but Clemens stayed in the league for like 1-14 years.

He made some great, 'go for it' moves but he had a bewildering habit of trading down for shi* value and then treating late round picks like a joke to be given away and handed to rex ryan

Certainly highly regarded by jaws lmao 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Besides drafting Revis, Ferguson and Mangold what about the rest of his draft picks? How many picks did he trade away? He was the main reason why Chad Pennington went under the knife a second time because of neglecting the oline. Remember he traded two draft picks for Tebow and gave Mark Sanchez a undeserved extension in his contract. In the end the whole team was a complete laughing stock and was stuck in salary cap hell because of Tannenbaum. After a few years away he was hired by Miami and he left the team in shambles the same way he left the Jets in salary cap hell!!!

I would take what he says with a grain of salt!!! He doesn't know what current Jets GM is planning or even thinking!!!! All he will talk is what he would do if he was still GM. 

I would love to record the picks he would make and compare it with the picks Joe Douglas makes. Then everyone would see that Tannenbaum was not a good GM like they think.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

Tanny couldn’t draft. He had no talent evaluation skills. To his credit, he seemed to understand that about himself. That’s why he traded up for players he was sold on. All these picks were consensus first rounders. That’s why he traded picks away for NFL vets who already demonstrated that they could play. 

I’d have to look it up, but I believe there was a four year period where Tanny drafted a total of 17 players. Joe Douglas has 21 picks over the next two years. Very different approach. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

I’m not sold..... as a GM he was not very good.  YES these picks, his three best were great.  BUT, he has a TON of 1st round busts and overpaid contracts to his busts.   

True, but the year Tannenbaum picked Revis, he also picked David Harris in the second round.  That was also a great pick and great value in the second round.

Comparing Tannenbaum to McCagnan and Idzik makes Tannenbaum look like a genius.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, k-met57 said:

Certainly highly regarded by jaws lmao 

Not just jaws but by many, his one big thing was injuries.

In Clemens defense he perhaps had a WORSE situation than darnold, an oline with anthony clement, Adrian clark and Adrian jones and a #1 wr of justin mccariens.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Not just jaws but by many, his one big thing was injuries.

In Clemens defense he perhaps had a WORSE situation than darnold, an oline with anthony clement, Adrian clark and Adrian jones and a #1 wr of justin mccariens.

After that raven game I was really hoping we had something...welp....

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

After that raven game I was really hoping we had something...welp....

The guy almost beat the Ravens at the top of their game team with a shi* oline and McCairens dropping everything in sight.

As you can guess Justin McCairens is one of my all time most hated jets.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

interesting point about newsome considering ngota and mangold a coin flip at the 12 pick and then seeing mangold go 29th.  it just shows how uneven the whole draft is.  you would think if newsome thought mangold worth the 12 pick then the team picking 13 would've been happy to get him.

14 hours ago, Alka said:

True, but the year Tannenbaum picked Revis, he also picked David Harris in the second round.  That was also a great pick and great value in the second round.

Comparing Tannenbaum to McCagnan and Idzik makes Tannenbaum look like a genius.

Tanginious...or was it just Tangini?

15 hours ago, slats said:

Tanny couldn’t draft. He had no talent evaluation skills. To his credit, he seemed to understand that about himself. That’s why he traded up for players he was sold on. All these picks were consensus first rounders. That’s why he traded picks away for NFL vets who already demonstrated that they could play. 

I’d have to look it up, but I believe there was a four year period where Tanny drafted a total of 17 players. Joe Douglas has 21 picks over the next two years. Very different approach. 

17 would be a misleading number (without checking). He traded away picks in those years to get another 6 or 7 starters (Ivory, TJ, Holmes, Braylon, Jenkins, Favre rental, Cromartie Come to mind). Not sure if they fell in that 4 year period but point is he was getting solid starters from his draft picks constantly. Our recent GMs have been a bunch of hogwash with no planning in sight. Douglas is lucky he inherited junk. Cuz it has bought him 3 years at least to put a team together. He doesn’t have much to show for from his first draft besides Becton but let’s see how the rest pans out. We have been getting progressively worse under JD and I don’t expect that to change in 2021. Don’t think we win more than 4 games so take the under on that 6 win Jets betting line. 

I liked Tanny for a while when he was here but he did F us over. Now all he does is say what everyone else is saying. At one point he was even saying we should keep Gase because it would help Sam. That was the nail in the coffin for me. 

1 hour ago, Jet2020 said:

17 would be a misleading number (without checking). He traded away picks in those years to get another 6 or 7 starters (Ivory, TJ, Holmes, Braylon, Jenkins, Favre rental, Cromartie Come to mind). Not sure if they fell in that 4 year period but point is he was getting solid starters from his draft picks constantly. Our recent GMs have been a bunch of hogwash with no planning in sight. Douglas is lucky he inherited junk. Cuz it has bought him 3 years at least to put a team together. He doesn’t have much to show for from his first draft besides Becton but let’s see how the rest pans out. We have been getting progressively worse under JD and I don’t expect that to change in 2021. Don’t think we win more than 4 games so take the under on that 6 win Jets betting line. 

It's actually accurate. Between 2007 and 2010 he drafted just 17 players. Three one year, four two years, and six in 2008 (two firsts, the rest coming the fourth round and later). Give him credit for Revis (which he's happy to take), his other first rounders were Gholston & Keller, Sanchez, and Kyle Wilson. The guy sucked at drafting. 

Yes, he traded picks for vets, but what he created was a top heavy roster with zero depth. He got close, but his signature QB pick was terrible. 

• Upvote 1

conversely he was 10x better than the next two gms so....
He put the next two guys in a terrible situation. Idzick had to fix our cap space which was so bad we couldn't afford to keep our best player and idzick did that well unfortunately he fell short on talent evaluation which was supposed to be maccagnans strong point which it turns out was not the case.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

Tanny had a laundry list of problems, but he was still by a very wide margin the Jets' best GM of at least the last 2 decades, and that even includes the ongoing question-mark of JD, although how everything goes with #2 could quickly enough change that.

He had an excessively long list of misses, but even then mid-to-late round picks of his like Washington, Slauson, Powell, and Davis were far better than anything they've gotten out of those rounds since.

On 4/20/2021 at 5:05 PM, doitny said:

i just heard he was hosting a show next Wednesday between 10am-12 on who the jets and giants should draft. he will be joined by Rex and Sanchez.

i know what your going to say, those guys are horrible, why should we listen to them? well those guys help us have the 2 best back to back years in jets history.

and some of you will say...... no it was all Mangini...

well guess what, Mangini will be there too. 

i tried to find where it will be. im guessing ESPN but i couldnt find anything yet. but what i did find was this interesting article on how Tannenbaum trade up to get Revis and Mangold. i jst thought it was interesting considering how some of you say Tann traded all our 1st rd picks. 

Mike Tannenbaum’s Draft Mantra: ‘Quality Over Quantity’ (newyorkjets.com)

When it comes to the NFL Draft, Mike Tannenbaum, the Jets' former executive who wore many hats with the club from 1997-2012, has a simple mantra: Quality over quantity.

Though he is the first person to decline to tell Jets GM Joe Douglas and HC Robert Saleh what to do with their basket full of draft picks -- 10 this year, including two in the first round (Nos. 2 and 23) and two in the third (Nos. 66 and 86) -- Tannenbaum pointed to a pair of transactions during his tenure that proved to be foundational picks when he appeared with Eric Allen and Ethan Greenberg on The Official Jets Podcast.

Exhibit 1: Darrelle Revis.

The eventual lockdown cornerback opted out of the NFL Scouting Combine in 2007 because of an injury. His true quality was a bit of an unknown because, playing for Pittsburgh in the Big East Conference Revis did not face many pro quality wide receivers. Revis was among a group of three CBs -- which included Leon Hall of Michigan and Aaron Ross of Texas -- thought to be the best in the draft.

All that changed, at least for the Jets, when Pittsburgh held its Pro Day.

"Darrelle was a late-declaring junior," Tannebaum said. "There wasn't a lot of information on him, period. So when you watched the tape you just couldn't see him playing against great competition. So Terry Bradway [the Jets' former GM, then a scout] called me from the airport in Pittsburgh after Darelle's workout. We needed a corner terribly, and we had a first-round pick [No. 25]. He's telling me he's phenomenal. What a lot of people didn't realize about Darrelle is how strong he was. In addition, he had an unbelievable workout. His change of direction was incredible. So now you marry that with quickness and you have a Hall of Famer, obviously."

Before Revis could become a Jets player, Tannenbaum first sought out Houston in a bid to trade up to their No. 10 pick. When that failed, Tannenbaum forged a deal with Carolina, getting their first-rounder, No. 14, in exchange for the Jets' picks in the first, second and fifth rounds.

"We moved up 11 spots," he said. "I told Carolina we were coming up for one player and would make the deal on the clock if he was still available. They wanted to move back and we wanted to move up. So when the 13th pick came up [and St. Louis took Adam Carriker] I knew Revis was a Jet."

And unless you've been marooned on an island, the trade and the selection of Revis still stand as one of the most astute deals in Jets draft history.

Which brings us to ... Exhibit 2

The Jets' NFL Draft in 2006 put down the foundation on the offensive line that lasted for a decade and helped the team to appearances in the AFC title game in 2009 and 2010.

With the fourth pick, their own, the Jets selected OT D'Brickashaw Ferguson out of Virginia, via Freeport, NY, on Long Island. Then, with the fourth-to-last selection in the first round Tannenbaum authored an eye-opening three-way trade and landed Ohio State center Nick Mangold.

"When I had the privilege of being the Jets general manager, my first draft was '06 and our first two picks were D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Nick Mangold," Tannebaum said. "They were the foundation for a lot of great teams that we had and that was in the formative year of my career. In 2005 in seven snaps we lost two quarterbacks in Chad Pennington and Jay Fiedler. When I was promoted to GM, my point was very simple: If you can't protect your quarterback nothing else matters, you can't win on the road, you can't handle the crowd noise, you can't run the ball when they know you're going to run the ball. Unless your offensive line is fortified nothing else really matters."

Mangold turned in a seminal performance at the Senior Bowl and was widely regarded as the top center in the draft. The complicated gambit to get Mangold began when the Jets decided not to re-sign DE John Abraham, Atlanta expressed interest, but only offered a second-round pick. Seattle entered the picture, offering a first-rounder, No. 31. Denver, too, was keen to land Abraham, but would not meet his contract demands. So the Falcons and the Broncos swapped first-round picks; Denver getting No. 15, Atlanta No. 29.

"It was a win-win, everyone benefited," Tannenbaum said. "There were three players we were looking at at 29, I'll never forget this, they go right before Nick and we were happy Nick was there at 29. I was relieved and gosh, we just took two offensive linemen in the first round and I didn't think a lot of people were going to be happy. And the phone rings. It's [Baltimore GM] Ozzie Newsome and he says you're the luckiest guy in the NFL right now. He was at No. 12 and says it was Nick Mangold or DT Haloti Ngata, 'it was a coin toss in our room.' If we're having this conversation a month from now we'll be saying 'I can't believe how that happened.' "

In fact, it was the first time a team drafted two offensive linemen in the first round since 1975 when the Los Angeles Rams picked Dennis Harrah and Doug France.

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/59456/jets-bet-heavily-on-dwayne-robertson-in-2003-and-lost-big-time

On 4/20/2021 at 5:05 PM, doitny said:

"It was a win-win, everyone benefited," Tannenbaum said. "There were three players we were looking at at 29, I'll never forget this, they go right before Nick and we were happy Nick was there at 29.

Imagine if one of them was still on the board at 29 lol.

We really got lucky

Would have been very a SOJ move to take Lewis there

Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 10.45.34 AM.png

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

Tanny had a laundry list of problems, but he was still by a very wide margin the Jets' best GM of at least the last 2 decades, and that even includes the ongoing question-mark of JD, although how everything goes with #2 could quickly enough change that.

He had an excessively long list of misses, but even then mid-to-late round picks of his like Washington, Slauson, Powell, and Davis were far better than anything they've gotten out of those rounds since.

see the problem here is half this board dont like anybody.

everything ends bad, otherwise they wouldnt end. Tanny would still be here. can we celebrate the good he did instead of killing him for the bad. yeah we can call him out on the bad, but to say he was a bad GM is just wrong.

just like Rex, only Jet to coach 2 AFCCGs. most playoff games and wins in Jets History and half this board hates him cause of how it ended. there is even a group who insanely think Mangini was better. yeah him and his one playoff game and loss.

some like to bash Revis. best CB maybe ever. but some cant get over the contract holdout, or going to NE. 

do we even still like Namath? cause looking back things didnt end too well for him here. or can we just honor him for helping win our only SB.

honestly we probably would hit Namath if it wasnt that most of us probably werent even born yet when he played.

as Jet fans we dont have tons of SB, playoff wins, great players.... but the few we do we should give them our love . 

Tanny and Rex should get love for helping bring us to the best 2 years in Jets history. 

While I give him full credit for the 2006 draft, Tanny was always better at winning the back page during free agency and the draft than team building.  When it came to the draft he usually jumped on the combine warriors because he wasn’t a scout that was going to watch hundreds of hours of tape.