Zach Wilson to Steve Young "whats the best way to find success no matter where you land?

Jetsbb

7 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Maybe this two parent stable home with successful parents thing should be ditched for the betterment of society.  Apparently we should be raising our kids in broken homes with wash outs for a parent so our kids can cut it at the next level.  (for those of you from 2 parent homes where one or both of your parents worked their butt off and became successful and set that example for you consider this sarcasm.)

You and others are over reacting to what i said. I have nothing against him or the success of his family. I said i was a little concerned about his upbringing as part of a larger concern about the level of competition he faced, the surgery's. and what i consider to be his slight frame.

13 hours ago, genot said:

I want to see this guy overcome adversity. I'm a little concerned about his upbringing. He knew somebody would be there for him if he ever needed to be bailed out. He's taking a huge step up. Nobody will be on the field to hold his hand. It's up to him. Will he step up. Or will he fold.

I'm sure he'd go straight to his uncle for cash as we all would. Again, his parents aren't the ones with the excessive money and every kid that gets drafted in the first couple of rounds in the NFL immediately becomes wealthier than most people in the world. 

6 minutes ago, genot said:

You and others are over reacting to what i said. I have nothing against him or the success of his family. I said i was a little concerned about his upbringing as part of a larger concern about the level of competition he faced, the surgery's. and what i consider to be his slight frame.

Did he put in the work to get better? Did he pass a physical?  Is there anything on tape that shows he has lost velocity on his throws?  He's 22 years old 6'3" and about 210.  Tom Brady is 6'4" 225.  I'm pretty sure he's going to be 5 to 10lbs. heavier by the time the season starts. 

We can pick this kid apart.  He's the consensus No. 2 QB in this draft by almost everyone.  You watch the tape and he throws a great ball, nice footwork, accurate and can make plays.  He's got nice footwork both in the pocket and when he leaves the pocket. 

Were taking him and I'm excited by what I see.  Nobody knows what happens when Hightower flatens him and says welcom to the NFL.   Were going to find out.  Get excited!  Zach is the next man up.  Maybe we get it right this time. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Did he put in the work to get better? Did he pass a physical?  Is there anything on tape that shows he has lost velocity on his throws?  He's 22 years old 6'3" and about 210.  Tom Brady is 6'4" 225.  I'm pretty sure he's going to be 5 to 10lbs. heavier by the time the season starts. 

We can pick this kid apart.  He's the consensus No. 2 QB in this draft by almost everyone.  You watch the tape and he throws a great ball, nice footwork, accurate and can make plays.  He's got nice footwork both in the pocket and when he leaves the pocket. 

Were taking him and I'm excited by what I see.  Nobody knows what happens when Hightower flatens him and says welcom to the NFL.   Were going to find out.  Get excited!  Zach is the next man up.  Maybe we get it right this time. 

yeah but he’s boyish looking 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

To me, watching ZW every time someone mentions the Jets he seems to cringe.

I get the sense he has no desire to come here.

and I can't blame him a single bit.  

The fan base of this team is disgusting.  We have the #2 pick, there is an incredibly talented prospect in ZW that our GM loves along with many experts. 

Yet a large portion of our fan base simply refuse to accept it..and worse than that - are outwardly attacking him.  It really is sad.  Attacking him for his looks, for the clothing he wears, for his religion, for the school he played for etc.....

Very few attacks on his actual skill-set - that's the sad part.  His talent is undeniable.....So he must be attacked for every reason other than that.  

I feel bad for him...and I feel worse for the very miserable fan base - that would prefer to be miserable than excited.

At this point I truly hope he refuses to play for this team - If I were him I wouldn't play for this fan base.  I honestly wouldn't.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

I get the sense he has no desire to coming here.

The fan base of this team is disgusting.  We have the #2 pick, there is an incredibly talented prospect in ZW that our GM loves along with many experts. 

Yet a large portion of our fan base simply refuse to accept..and worse than that - are outwardly attacking him.  It really is sad.  Attacking him for his looks, for the clothing he wears, for his religion, for the school he played for...

Very few attacks on his actual skill-set - that's the sad part.  His talent is undeniable.....So he must be attacked for every reason other than that.  

I feel bad for him...and I feel worse for the very miserable fan base - that would prefer to be miserable than excited.

At this point I truly hope he refuses to play for this team - If I were him I wouldn't play for this fan base.  I honestly wouldn't.  

The problem with this franchise isn't the fans it's the owners 

I get the sense he has no desire to coming here.

Yet a large portion of our fan base simply refuse to accept..and worse than that - are outwardly attacking him.  It really is sad.  Attacking him for his looks, for the clothing he wears, for his religion, for the school he played for...

Imagine grown ass men sporting avs of a 20 year old kid's instagram story. You're imagining Jets Nation forum.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

Considering the Jets haven't overpaid for anyone, aren't stuck with bad contracts, and have accumulated draft picks, what have the owners done that indicates they're meddling? We seem to be in the middle of a rebuild.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Yet a large portion of our fan base simply refuse to accept it..and worse than that - are outwardly attacking him.  It really is sad.  Attacking him for his looks, for the clothing he wears, for his religion, for the school he played for etc.....

Sam Darnold seemed pretty happy to be here. Said he wanted to be a Jet for 20 years.

5 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

Considering the Jets haven't overpaid for anyone, aren't stuck with bad contracts, and have accumulated draft picks, what have the owners done that indicates they're meddling? We seem to be in the middle of a rebuild.

They have not paid anyone long term money that's a bug not a feature. It's a team of mercenaries. 

They under spend, keeping 10-20 million on the cap for themselves every year 

They listen to Peyton Manning and hire Adam gase 

They've had as many head coaches in ten years as the steelers have had in forty 

They changed the uniforms to garbage 

Do you want me to keep going? 

13 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

100% correct. He should do everything he can to avoid coming here. His skill set is certainly impressive, but damn he’s a really small narrow dude. I’m concerned for his ability to survive the beating he is going to get this year. If the Jets really wanted him to succeed they would get a veteran so he doesn’t have to start the beginning of the year. Let the kid sit for half  a year and let him acclimate to the game slowly. He should really be mad  at the Jets themselves for not thinking this through and just rushing their shiny new face of the franchise into the meat grinder. Just like last time, the time before that, the time before that.....   

• Upvote 4

The more I listen to this kid the more I like him as a prospect. He is obviously nervous about coming to NY which is understandable. I like the fact Steve Young is helping him out and talking with our staff. The Jets FO and owner need to do their job to do all they can to help this kid be successful.  If the staff feels he needs to sit fine, limited playbook at the beginning fine, long term success is the goal not a quick flash and fade away. The rest is up to ZW. 

2 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Sam Darnold seemed pretty happy to be here. Said he wanted to be a Jet for 20 years.

Yeah, the fans were behind him.

He was pretty much the consensus choice for us at #3 - by most all of the fans.  He's was given a ton of rope.

For whatever reason, and I can't be sure why (I have my theories) there's a bastion of fans that have had it out for ZW since he was first considered a potential choice for the Jets.  Instead of coming around, they have dug their heels in deeper and have just gotten nastier.

Some folks here are certainly making an effort - many are just getting worse.

I really do wish their concerns had anything to do with his skill-set - it would make me feel better that at least they'll come around if he looks good.  But it's clearly not about his talent - it's about something else.

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

They have not paid anyone long term money that's a bug not a feature. It's a team of mercenaries. 

1. When a team is rebuilding, committing to long term contracts isn't the best move. You have to maintain flexibility.

2. They aren't done spending.

3. That sh*t is old news and before Douglas. Gase doesn't even work here anymore. Did Woody choose Saleh? No, it was Douglas.

4. Again, nothing to do with the present. 

5. Nothing to do with the team's performance.

We're talking about right now, 2nd year with Douglas, and most of those things have nothing to do with him. Woody hasn't done sh*t to him.

12 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The owners suck but the fans think there entitled to a winner.   If you can't get excited about a new QB who almost everyone inside and outside our organization seems jacked up about you should be cleaning your gutters on Sunday instead of watching Jets games.

I get that people can disagree and want someone else but at the end of the day if you can't get excited about Zach Wilson being the QB of the NY Jets you've checked out as fan.  

1 minute ago, Biggs said:

The owners suck but the fans think there entitled to a winner.   If you can't get excited about a new QB who almost everyone inside and outside our organization seems jacked up about you should be cleaning your gutters on Sunday instead of watching Jets games.

I get that people can disagree and want someone else but at the end of the day if you can't get excited about Zach Wilson being the QB of the NY Jets you've checked out as fan.  

They can't get excited about Zach Wilson because they're too far up their own asses. I'd be excited for Wilson or Fields. Who cares who I want. We don't know sh*t. But these people think they're ******* scouts on a Jets message board. And being right is all that matters. 

• Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Now add in they are taking Wilson #2 to leverage a Jet Blue sponsorship and we are really cooking 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Can you imagine you are trying your best and trying to learn, win a game and then some jackass fan yells down to him he sucks and goes on some crazy rant. The kid has to be mentally strong to deal with that,  as all do. I understand the frustration of some fans but bashing the young QB of your team doesn’t help him or your team in any way. 

3 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

100% correct. He should do everything he can to avoid coming here. His skill set is certainly impressive, but damn he’s a really small narrow dude. I’m concerned for his ability to survive the beating he is going to get this year. If the Jets really wanted him to succeed they would get a veteran so he doesn’t have to start the beginning of the year. Let the kid sit for half  a year and let him acclimate to the game slowly. He should really be mad  at the Jets themselves for not thinking this through and just rushing their shiny new face of the franchise into the meat grinder. Just like last time, the time before that, the time before that.....   

I would love to see him sit for a year (or for most of the year) behind a legit pro.  We agree 100% in that.  

I can understand the injury concern for sure.  When you look at him he does seem smaller and it's worrisome when so much is on the line with him staying healthy. With that said. when you look at it analytically, his size is in the mid-range of NFL QB's.  There is no trend in the NFL that shows the smaller QB's are more likely to get hurt, the data simply doesn't support the concern. And lastly,  today's NFL allows for QB's to really protect themselves.  

But yes, if they're taking him and expecting him to start - they better damn well do a better job in building the offense than what they have now.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I would love to see him sit for a year (or for most of the year) behind a legit pro.  We agree 100% in that.  

I can understand the injury concern for sure.  When you look at him he does seem smaller and it's worrisome when so much is on the line with him staying healthy. With that said. when you look at it analytically, his size is in the mid-range of NFL QB's.  There is no trend in the NFL that shows the smaller QB's are more likely to get hurt, the data simply doesn't support the concern. And lastly,  today's NFL allows for QB's to really protect themselves.  

But yes, if they're taking him and expecting him to start - they better damn well do a better job in building the offense than what they have now.

If he sits the new thing is going to be "SEE HE ISN'T EVEN READY, HOW CAN YOU USE THE 2ND PICK ON A GUY WHO ISN'T READY"

There's nothing that can appease someone who hates him

2 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

They can't get excited about Zach Wilson because they're too far up their own asses. I'd be excited for Wilson or Fields. Who cares who I want. We don't know sh*t. But these people think they're ******* scouts on a Jets message board. And being right is all that matters. 

Some people just take this too serious. I mean anyone actively posting on a Jets forum, after how awful we are, is obviously a die hard fan, we all are and we all care. But getting that worked up over the #2 pick is crazy. End of the day it’s a game. I stopped letting this crap work me up years ago. Hoping for the best 

• Upvote 1

Good post as usual Fido. 

2 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

Can you imagine you are trying your best and trying to learn, win a game and then some jackass fan yells down to him he sucks and goes on some crazy rant. The kid has to be mentally strong to deal with that,  as all do. I understand the frustration of some fans but bashing the young QB of your team doesn’t help him or your team in any way. 

Yup...

And imagine that fan not yelling at him for his play..

But because of his blonde hair, or his religion, or that his uncle is wealthy or that he's the same size as Aaron Rodgers or where he went to school, or that he had elective shoulder surgery when he was 19 and on and on...

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Shhhh Shut Up GIF by swerk

Yup...

And imagine that fan not yelling at him for his play..

But because of his blonde hair, or his religion, or that his uncle is wealthy or that he's the same size as Aaron Rodgers or where he went to school, or that he had elective shoulder surgery when he was 19 and on and on...

Exactly, he just got lucky on that throw  the CB was a step late, the next throw will be a pick 6...and the cycle continues for the tortured fan. 

• Haha 1

Height and weight are misleading. My height and weight should get me a combine invite but if I went to the high school to lift with the football team the sophomores would out lift me 

Zach has narrow shoulders and very little athletic definition. He needs to sit for a year