Zach Wilson to Steve Young "whats the best way to find success no matter where you land?

Jetsbb

45 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

1. When a team is rebuilding, committing to long term contracts isn't the best move. You have to maintain flexibility.

2. They aren't done spending.

3. That sh*t is old news and before Douglas. Gase doesn't even work here anymore. Did Woody choose Saleh? No, it was Douglas.

4. Again, nothing to do with the present. 

5. Nothing to do with the team's performance.

We're talking about right now, 2nd year with Douglas, and most of those things have nothing to do with him. Woody hasn't done sh*t to him.

At one point in 2011 woody said in public that the outcome of the election was more important than the Jets getting to the super bowl 

It didn't go his way and they have not spent to the cap since 

He's spent the last decade proving where his interest is 

Here's a non rhetorical question if you owned the Jets would you go abroad for 4 years and lend it to your brother? No one likes soccer that much. We'd all be in the owners box for every game 

Woody is not a fan this a business that he exploits for Cash. Winning is not a priority in fact its cheaper not to try and leave the country 

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Jet Life said:

Now add in they are taking Wilson #2 to leverage a Jet Blue sponsorship and we are really cooking 

If trey Lances uncle was Richard Branson that would be a factor as well 

The Jets get to double dip, they get official nfl airline monetary from virgin and official Jets airline money from jetblue. It's Woody's wet dream 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

At one point in 2011 woody said in public that the outcome of the election was more important than the Jets getting to the super bowl 

He's spent the last decade proving where his loyalty is 

Here's a non rhetorical question if you owned the Jets would you go abroad for 4 years and lend it to your brother? I don't like soccer that much 

But do you want an owner who meddles or not? The Jets have like 10 million left man (after rookie deals). They're going to sign guys after the draft. What's the issue? I don't give a sh*t if Woody doesn't care as long as he isn't involved.

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

He's spent the last decade proving where his loyalty is 

Here's a non rhetorical question if you owned the Jets would you go abroad for 4 years and lend it to your brother? I don't like soccer that much 

This is what just boggles my mind when people on here, and in general, defend Woody. He is a lucky sperm douchebag and nothing more.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Tranquilo said:

But do you want an owner who meddles or not? The Jets have like 10 million left man (after rookie deals). They're going to sign guys after the draft. What's the issue? I don't give a sh*t if Woody doesn't care as long as he isn't involved.

They are going to cut guys after the draft and trade guys during it

Here's an example of the issue: cj mosely is their highest paid player, and he's never played a 4-3, not even at Bama 

They trade him, cut Alex Lewis, maybe crowder and all of that dead cap hits and it looks like they are spending on the roster 

3 minutes ago, section314 said:

This is what just boggles my mind when people on here, and in general, defend Woody. He is a lucky sperm douchebag and nothing more.

The sad part is that is how woody feels about us but in reverse 

He tried to build a wss and was rejected. He tried to win games with tanny and Rex and he was embarrassed, particularly by Bob kraft and the butt fumble. 

Woody stopped trying. He doesn't like the fans and he doesn't care much about our opinions 

When I started rooting for this team, Leon Hess was the owner. He did not try to win until his health failed. Maybe woody will have some kind of change of heart. But they've both been terrible owners by league standards 

6 minutes ago, bitonti said:

They are going to cut guys after the draft and trade guys during it

Here's an example of the issue: cj mosely is their highest paid player, and he's never played a 4-3, not even at Bama 

They trade him, cut Alex Lewis, maybe crowder and all of that dead cap hits and it looks like they are spending on the roster 

But see it can't go both ways. They made a big splash for Mosely. Not a "mercenary" type of contract. If he doesn't fit, it has nothing to do with the money. And if they cut Lewis and Crowder, they're dead money isn't significant and they'll create room to spend more.

13 hours ago, genot said:

It's the NFL. Not BYU, playing a powder puff schedule. I'm not saying he's going to bust. I'm not saying we shouldn't draft him. Nobody knew who he was 6 months ago. Now if you rIse a minor point about the jump from BYU to the NFL some people get upset.

Ok, I'll say it,

We shouldn't draft him.

• Upvote 1

I laugh at this........

Steve Young was AWFUL at Tampa Bay and didn't get "GOOD" until he sat behind a QB named Montana and was trained by a coach named Bill Walsh....

Young always seems to forget this when he goes into "I pulled myself up by my own bootstraps argument".

21 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

But see it can't go both ways. They made a big splash for Mosely. Not a "mercenary" type of contract. If he doesn't fit, it has nothing to do with the money. And if they cut Lewis and Crowder, they're dead money isn't significant and they'll create room to spend more.

Most teams find cap room by extending their existing players 

For example the Jets could give Marcus maye a reasonable contract and his cap hit in year 1 would be tiny 

Instead they tag him, dont negotiate in good faith and the locker room gets the message that the road to the playoffs/long term security is to get traded or hit free agency 

Meanwhile, the cap goes up every season. The owners have traditionally underfunded the roster compared to other teams' cash spend. 

We can point to jd and the new training staff as signs of improvement but the reason why ZW gets heartburn looking at his fate is because of the way the team is run 

Not because the NY fans are mean. Whoever is sticking with this franchise at 2-14 is loyal 

1 minute ago, Morrissey said:

are they not allowed to take part in this program while being a starter or?

That's not how life works 

Strength training for starters during the season maintains gains. It's aspirational, as like half the team ends up walking wounded by week 18

Only the bench players can make gains. The jets are not going to cut ZW a 20 million dollar check to watch him lift weights 

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

100% correct. He should do everything he can to avoid coming here. His skill set is certainly impressive, but damn he’s a really small narrow dude. I’m concerned for his ability to survive the beating he is going to get this year. If the Jets really wanted him to succeed they would get a veteran so he doesn’t have to start the beginning of the year. Let the kid sit for half  a year and let him acclimate to the game slowly. He should really be mad  at the Jets themselves for not thinking this through and just rushing their shiny new face of the franchise into the meat grinder. Just like last time, the time before that, the time before that.....   

Thank you!

I am a big advocate on letting QBs sit for awhile ---- Hmmm this fan base is nutty we rushed Sanchez, Geno & Sam to start ...How did that work out?

I say let's try something different!!!!!!

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Most teams find cap room by extending their existing players 

For example the Jets could give Marcus maye a reasonable contract and his cap hit in year 1 would be tiny 

Instead they tag him, dont negotiate in good faith and the locker room gets the message that the road to the playoffs/long term security is to get traded or hit free agency 

Meanwhile, the cap goes up every season. The owners have traditionally underfunded the roster compared to other teams' cash spend. 

We can point to jd and the new training staff as signs of improvement but the reason why ZW gets heartburn looking at his fate is because of the way the team is run 

Not because the NY fans are mean. Whoever is sticking with this franchise at 2-14 is loyal 

Give Marcus Maye a reasonable contract? What makes you think he's looking for a reasonable contract? He's looking to get paid (rightfully so).

Just because he got tagged doesn't mean they aren't negotiating in good faith. It's not smart to overpay for a safety and limit future cap flexibility.

The cap goes up but player salaries go up, too (which is why Prescott is the highest paid QB). 

Maybe wait until this offseason is over before making assumptions? Now isn't even the time to dish out 3 year 50 million dollar contracts. The idea is to build through the draft and THEN make those signings to put the team over the top. I understand  that past history indicates the Jets won't do it right, but this is also the first time I've seen them show this kind of patience in a rebuild.

57 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Why would he be eating a burrito with shoulder pads on? 

He looks very slight to me.Looks like a 2nd baseman, , not an NFL QB. I'm not saying he can't take the punishment. I'm not saying we shouldn't draft him. I see nothing wrong with at least being a little bit concerned about that. Among other things.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, genot said:

He looks very slight to me.Looks like a 2nd baseman, , not an NFL QB. I'm not saying he can't take the punishment. I'm not saying we shouldn't draft him. I see nothing wrong with at least being a little bit concerned about that. Among other things.

Alright, here's question. In the past 5 years or so, as the game has changed, especially with the protection of QBs, which QB prospect flamed out because of size?

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

To me, watching ZW every time someone mentions the Jets he seems to cringe.

I get the sense he has no desire to come here.

and I can't blame him a single bit.  

The fan base of this team is disgusting.  We have the #2 pick, there is an incredibly talented prospect in ZW that our GM loves along with many experts. 

Yet a large portion of our fan base simply refuse to accept it..and worse than that - are outwardly attacking him.  It really is sad.  Attacking him for his looks, for the clothing he wears, for his religion, for the school he played for etc.....

Very few attacks on his actual skill-set - that's the sad part.  His talent is undeniable.....So he must be attacked for every reason other than that.  

I feel bad for him...and I feel worse for the very miserable fan base - that would prefer to be miserable than excited.

At this point I truly hope he refuses to play for this team - If I were him I wouldn't play for this fan base.  I honestly wouldn't.  

Nobody from the NYJ front office has named Zach the undisputed #2 overall pick so why should the majority of the fan base get behind him at this point?

No need for a pity party for athletes who sign up for this and are rewarded handsomely. Athletes play, fans sit in the stands and speculate, criticize. 

Bedsides this is draft season and criticism is the game for the day.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

I laugh at this........

Steve Young was AWFUL at Tampa Bay and didn't get "GOOD" until he sat behind a QB named Montana and was trained by a coach named Bill Walsh....

Young always seems to forget this when he goes into "I pulled myself up by my own bootstraps argument".

Those TB teams Young played with were horrific.  I thought he was actually very good with the LA Express in the USFL.

• Sympathy 1

34 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Nobody from the NYJ front office has named Zach the undisputed #2 overall pick so why should the majority of the fan base get behind him at this point?

No need for a pity party for athletes who sign up for this and are rewarded handsomely. Athletes play, fans sit in the stands and speculate, criticize. 

Bedsides this is draft season and criticism is the game for the day.  

so it’s your contention that Wilson isn’t going to be the 2nd pick?

He’s a person too.  He’s a kid that’s being attacked for everything other than his talent. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Tranquilo said:

Alright, here's question. In the past 5 years or so, as the game has changed, especially with the protection of QBs, which QB prospect flamed out because of size?

None that i can think of. That's a good point. I'm not saying he will flame out. It's something to consider, minor as it might be. Like hand size. Wonderlinc scores. We need a QB. After TL, he would be my 2nd choice. So obviously, it's not a disqualifier.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Thank you!

I am a big advocate on letting QBs sit for awhile ---- Hmmm this fan base is nutty we rushed Sanchez, Geno & Sam to start ...How did that work out?

I say let's try something different!!!!!!

I don't see the rush with getting him on the field either.  It does seem pretty clear that's the plan, but it seems to go against everything I've seen about JD.  He seems the patient to a fault type.

The only thing I can really think of is - he thinks that highly of ZW and believes he's ready to play - but I find that hard to believe.

3 hours ago, peebag said:

Those TB teams Young played with were horrific.  I thought he was actually very good with the LA Express in the USFL.

I went to the NJ Generals - LA Express game in LA Coliseium Arpil 1, 1984.  Was a wild experience sitting in bright beautiful sunshine in a 100K stadium with maybe 25,000 people in it just hanging out, drinking and having a nice afternoon.  

Herschel Walker had a 50 yard TD pass from Briane Sipe.  

Young threw a TD pass to Jo Jo Townsell.

Good times.   

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, bitonti said:

It means Aaron Rodgers got 3 years in a strength program. Zach wilson is going to get 3 pre-season games 

Good point, but at the end of the day, isn't Wilson the same weight as Kylar Murray? Are we maybe making too much of the size thing? 

Playing QB for the Jets is a snake pit and it has more to do with NY and the media and the reputation that surrounds the Jets as opposed to the actual 2021 Jets team.  Wilson is going to go thru adversity here, we all know it.  At least he admits it.  At least Manish is gone.

Either your glass is half empty or it's half full. In this case I saw a half full. The kid asked a legit question, showing that he's actually already mentally involved in what's about to happen next year.

Steve's answer was even more impressive cuz he's spoken to the quarterback coach on the Jets and obviously revealed that they think Zach is embedded in the data meaning The Playbook, the Whiteboard, his mind is on football all encompassing.

That's how Peyton Manning had a Hall of Fame career? I don't know what some of you guys were watching but that's what I saw...

Again I will readily admit that my first run-through of the highlights from the top QBs Justin Fields will definitely be successful. However after watching his interviews and seeing his intelligence and his attitude Wilson has grown on me. In fact I think Wilson, Fields, and Mac Jones will all have better careers than Trevor Lawrence. You know why? Cuz I'm silly like that!

Lawrence has never had to fight for anything. When you go to a new place and you're getting your ass kicked you need to rely on your character. Paris Hilton types who have been given everything their whole lives and have been successful don't have any character. You want somebody with a little Moxie who doesn't mind gettin dirty, or nutting in your wife's eye!  You see what I'm saying?

The Blitz has spoken.

• Upvote 1

Thought the question was fine and the show really hyped Zach. 

The only weird thing to me was that Herbstreit did a lot of film breakdown with Lawrence and none with Wilson. They talked about Wilson being a film junkie but then didn't show it.