My 2021 draft review = Offensive line

Where I think the official draft pundits get it wrong with OL is that they hype size and they hype the idea of being a "road grader." As such, a lot of the players who would be best suited for a true zone scheme like what the Jets will be running are often devalued in a lot of the mocks. I am pleased to see this analysis consider scheme, and I think more should be made about scheme fit rather than blasting the Jets for not taking some overhyped OL who doesn't fit what they are doing.

I also believe that there is value in having a veteran center with a rookie QB. With that said, I'd look more toward someone who projects as a guard first instead of drafting a center and moving McGovern. While McGovern was not stellar to start the season, he did improve, and his game will definitely be suited to the new scheme. So that leaves true guards who best fit a Shanahan-style zone blocking scheme. 

So looking at guards, I do think AVT could develop in an NFL zone scheme a bit better than Ourlads might.  I'd love Slater, but I don't see him making it to #23. Either of them would be a solid pick, honestly, both in value and scheme. 

I have been personally growing more fond of Kendrick Green and less fond of Wyatt Davis as we have gotten closer to the draft. I am thinking Green could step into this system and absolutely thrive. I'd want him to play guard in this system. Perhaps in time he takes over at C, but I think he could be had with the earlier third round pick and step in right away to start.

Teven Jenkins remains a wild card. Could he be had at #23? Do you take him at #23? If he doesn't slide inside, do you slide Fant to RG? 

So I'd be thrilled with AVT or Slater at #23, and quite pleased with Green in the third, or maybe even trading up into the late second to secure him.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

Where I think the official draft pundits get it wrong with OL is that they hype size and they hype the idea of being a "road grader." As such, a lot of the players who would be best suited for a true zone scheme like what the Jets will be running are often devalued in a lot of the mocks. I am pleased to see this analysis consider scheme, and I think more should be made about scheme fit rather than blasting the Jets for not taking some overhyped OL who doesn't fit what they are doing.

I also believe that there is value in having a veteran center with a rookie QB. With that said, I'd look more toward someone who projects as a guard first instead of drafting a center and moving McGovern. While McGovern was not stellar to start the season, he did improve, and his game will definitely be suited to the new scheme. So that leaves true guards who best fit a Shanahan-style zone blocking scheme. 

So looking at guards, I do think AVT could develop in an NFL zone scheme a bit better than Ourlads might.  I'd love Slater, but I don't see him making it to #23. Either of them would be a solid pick, honestly, both in value and scheme. 

I have been personally growing more fond of Kendrick Green and less fond of Wyatt Davis as we have gotten closer to the draft. I am thinking Green could step into this system and absolutely thrive. I'd want him to play guard in this system. Perhaps in time he takes over at C, but I think he could be had with the earlier third round pick and step in right away to start.

Teven Jenkins remains a wild card. Could he be had at #23? Do you take him at #23? If he doesn't slide inside, do you slide Fant to RG? 

So I'd be thrilled with AVT or Slater at #23, and quite pleased with Green in the third, or maybe even trading up into the late second to secure him.

Well-balanced view point

• Upvote 1

On 4/22/2021 at 10:23 PM, varjet said:

AVT always drops to 23 in any mock I do, on multiple sites.  The CBs and Ts do not.  

Could be tied to the perceived value of G compared to T.

That said, look at what happened with the Colts after taking a guard very early in Quenton Nelson. Their line went from being problematic to being one of the best in the game.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

Could be tied to the perceived value of G compared to T.

That said, look at what happened with the Colts after taking a guard very early in Quenton Nelson. Their line went from being problematic to being one of the best in the game.

Nelson >>> AVT. AVT is a solid guard, but I watch him and I don't see dominant or elite. 

3 minutes ago, IntoTheGreen said:

Nelson >>> AVT. AVT is a solid guard, but I watch him and I don't see dominant or elite. 

Yes, but AVT would be picked at 23, for $4mm/year, which is a bit over half of what we pay Lewis, and about what we pay Van Roten.  

I am not wild about AVT at 23, but if Jenkins, Humphrey, Newsome and Surtain are gone, and AVT is there, he is the pick over the EDGE and RB. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, varjet said:

Yes, but AVT would be picked at 23, for $4mm/year, which is a bit over half of what we pay Lewis, and about what we pay Van Roten.  

I am not wild about AVT at 23, but if Jenkins, Humphrey, Newsome and Surtain are gone, and AVT is there, he is the pick over the EDGE and RB. 

So for you AVT > Cosmi? I think I might do Cosmi then hope for Green in the 3rd.