The Jets Aren't Going to be Horrible This Year

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

-Better Head Coach (Gase was the worst I've ever seen.) -Better Offensive Coordinator (Did we even have an O-Co under Gase, really?) -Better Offensive System (Shanny-style WCO > Gase Insa

Optimism? Did Warfish really write this?  

I just want to see progress, even if it doesn’t translate into immediate wins.

Posted Images

I agree with all of this. Except I'd put more money on Zuniga being dropped to the practice squad or cut than I would on him being good. He was invisible last year. And our DL is actually so good and deep now that we don't have spots to waste on guys if they're not getting better. We get another edge that pans out in this draft, shoot, this'll be one of the scariest lines in the nfl.

10 hours ago, Warfish said:

-Better Head Coach (Gase was the worst I've ever seen.)

-Better Offensive Coordinator (Did we even have an O-Co under Gase, really?)

-Better Offensive System (Shanny-style WCO > Gase Insanity)

-Better QB (We have to presume Wilson won't be dead last in the NFL, otherwise why would we dump Sam and draft Wilson, amirite?)

-Better at RB (No more feeding old Gore.)

-Better #1 WR (Davis over Perriman.)

-Better #2 WR (Mims healthy vs. missed most of season.)

-Not having a depth guy like Berrios be #2 in Catches at WR, lol.

-Better O-line (almost by default, Becton 2nd Year, high Draft Pick presumably)

-Better Edge (Carl Lawson)

-Better LB (Mosely back)

-Better CB (presuming we sign Sherman post-draft and/or draft a CB)

-Better play from JD 2020 Draft Class (Hall at CB fully healthy, Zuninga at Edge second year, Perine at RB, Davis at Safety 2nd year, etc).

-Presumed upgrades at a number of positions (#23 pick, #34 pick at minimum should be upgrades).

Will we win a Super Bowl in 2021?  We gonna be #1 in Offense, #1 in Defense?  Probably not, lol. 🤣  And no one is saying we will or should.

Should we be able to expect a competitive team that is in every game and competes and should be around .500 or better?

Hell yes we should! 👍

This post claims to be made by @Warfish

image.gif.aa4924ac73ec730b4bd2156b821ba1be.gif

• Haha 3

Getting rid of Leonard Williams, not paying the money for him and getting two draft picks was the better move.  My bet is that he is a stiff this year.  If we drafted Damien Lewis rather than Ashtyn Davis, its a home run.

If Jamal can be converted to multiple good players, the trade was worth it. Hopefully Maye can be extended.  Otherwise JD should have found a way to keep Adams for what he will likely be paid, which is not what he thinks he would have been paid.

JD admits letting Robby go was a mistake. 

I think JD has a lot to prove this year.   If we are talking about 2021 3rd and 4th round picks like we are talking about his 2020 3rd and 4th round picks, JD and the Jets are doomed.  

22 hours ago, Warfish said:

-Better QB (We have to presume Wilson won't be dead last in the NFL, otherwise why would we dump Sam and draft Wilson, amirite?)

-Better LB (Mosely back)

-Better play from JD 2020 Draft Class (Hall at CB fully healthy, Zuninga at Edge second year, Perine at RB, Davis at Safety 2nd year, etc).

-Presumed upgrades at a number of positions (#23 pick, #34 pick at minimum should be upgrades).

Will we win a Super Bowl in 2021?  We gonna be #1 in Offense, #1 in Defense?  Probably not, lol. 🤣  And no one is saying we will or should.

Should we be able to expect a competitive team that is in every game and competes and should be around .500 or better?

Hell yes we should! 👍

The biggest obstacle why the Jets won’t be any good next year is everyone in the first year of learning a new offensive system.( no Ota’s).  The offensive system could be better but you won’t start seeing results till year two when everyone more comfortable in the system.   Rookie QB , and you’re looking at a big learning curve.

Important to remember that a big part of having a successful draft class is having coaches that can develop the talent selected.  I'm approaching 50 years as a Jets fan and I believe in my lifetime Gase was the worst coach at utilizing and developing talent that we've had.

A professional coaching staff, lots of draft choices (because not every one hits), drafting players that fit the scheme all play a role in whether a draft class is considered good.  

I like what I'm seeing so far.  But there is only one exception here - JD has been talking and talking about building the OL and I don't think we've done nearly enough.  I genuinely believe a huge part of our rebuild (after pick 2 which we know will be a QB) is how much capital he'll use on OL.  Get young there so they get experience with Wilson.  Let them grow together.  If he goes light this year with all this capital I'd scratch my head.

• Upvote 1
23 hours ago, Warfish said:

-Better LB (Mosely back)

Hell yes we should! 👍

lots of IF's here but i agree....we could be good...or we could be very bad...all depends on QB/Injuries/coaching

• Upvote 1

Because of the importance of film prep, teams with new coaches and QBs tend to outperform. 

The talent level should be better, and the coaches should develop players better. 

AFC East looks very competitive, and BB is always a problem. 

The Jets will win more than 2 games this season.  How many more I don’t know. 

Because of the importance of film prep, teams with new coaches and QBs tend to outperform. 
The talent level should be better, and the coaches should develop players better. 
AFC East looks very competitive, and BB is always a problem. 
The Jets will win more than 2 games this season.  How many more I don’t know. 
3-14 is an improvement. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Raideraholic said:

The biggest obstacle why the Jets won’t be any good next year is everyone in the first year of learning a new offensive system.( no Ota’s).  The offensive system could be better but you won’t start seeing results till year two when everyone more comfortable in the system.   Rookie QB , and you’re looking at a big learning curve.

Yes, there will be a learning curve for Wilson and a small one for Saleh and Co.

But I'm going to respectfully, but strongly, disagree with the bolded above.

I think we're going to absolutely see results of the many changes in 2021.

Reminder: 

-Jets were ranked 32nd in Offensive Yards and 32nd in Offensive Points Scored in 2020

-Sam Darnold was the worst starting QB in the NFL with a QB rating of 72.7

-Jets were 21st in Passing Offense and 23rd in Rushing Offense

-Jets won 2 games in 2020

I think we're going to see material improvements over all of these numbers in year one of the Saleh/Wilson Era.

If not......if we mirror these numbers in 2021........wow.  Seriously, that would be near indefensible for all parties involved.

-Better LB (Mosely back)

Hell yes we should! 👍

Agree with most, 17 games season, 6-11, last in division. Other 3 teams will all be .500 or better.

-Better LB (Mosely back)

Hell yes we should! 👍

Who stole our Warfishs body?

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Who stole our Warfishs body?

@slats stole my usual worldview, so I had to find another.  🤣

In all seriousness, I fully expect to see meaningful, material improvement this year.  No jokes or sarcasm here.  Maybe not a playoff run, but a competitive team in it week to week, and in the near .500 range a game either way.   7-10, 8-9, even 9-8 all seem possible IMO.

All will depend on Wilson, of course.  The big unknown.  And I have my doubts about him, but trying to ignore them, since it's pretty much a done deal at this point.

• Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

In all seriousness, I fully expect to see meaningful, material improvement this year.  No jokes or sarcasm here.  Maybe not a playoff run, but a competitive team in it week to week, and in the near .500 range a game either way.   7-10, 8-9, even 9-8 all seem possible IMO.

All will depend on Wilson, of course.  The big unknown.  And I have my doubts about him, but trying to ignore them, since it's pretty much a done deal at this point.

I pray youre right.  I do agree though but as much as I want it to happen I am cautiously optimistic given the number of disappointments we've lived through over the last 10 years.  

I agree with you list or reasons to expect a better record and team in 21.  I start with the belief that while we lacked talent a year ago we weren't a 2 win team other than our record said we were unfortunately.  From coaching on down, how can we not be improved?  

• Upvote 1

I'm definitely hopeful for a competitive season.  Don't know how much will translate into W's.  But why not be optimistic about converting 21 picks over these next two years...10 of them in rounds 1-3...into good impact players.  Starters...future starters and good depth pieces.   A highly more competent HC-CS will be a huge factor too.  Add to this a significant makeover in player personnel.  This team should look and perform way better then the Gase sh!!t-show of last year.  

And a brand new shiny QB NYJ...that will be in the hands of more competent coaches then these past few years.  With better weapons and improved protection.  A Shanahan WCO disciple  like LaFleur, game planning in a system known to be helpful for QB success.   Jets should be fun to watch again. 

Don't expect to make the playoffs this year.  But after the 2022 FA-Trade-draft process.  IMO...Jets should be a perennial playoff team. 

On April 29th...start making this so JD!

39 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Warfish the Vegas total is 6

You're comfortable walking in the William Hill and putting a couple of hundred on over? 

Gfto bud they are going to be crap as usual 

• Sad 1

Roster is already way better than last year’s and after a solid draft the talent level will be even better, that being said, I think we will be another year away before we start seeing 9-10  win seasons.

New England didn’t exactly sit still in rebuilding their team, Miami has a lot of talent if a QB steps up and Buffalo should be good again too.I think 2-4 in our division would be about right and 1-5 isn’t that unlikely either.

35 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Warfish the Vegas total is 6

You're comfortable walking in the William Hill and putting a couple of hundred on over? 

Gfto bud they are going to be crap as usual 

You know by now I am not a $$ gambler.  I like my money too much (and I'm Scottish, after all).

The only thing I'm willing to gamble is my reputation, lol :)  And I do it every day.

6-11?  Could certainly happen.  So could 7-10 IMO.  8-9 is likely the top end of potential.

All would be substantial improvement over 2-14 and dead last in pretty much everything.

You read the OP, you know I'm not predicting Super Bowls here, not even the Playoffs.

I'm predicting "not horrible", as it says in the title.  i.e. Not the worst at everything, competing in games, winning a few, ect.

If you want a Super Bowl in 2021, you're going to be disappointed.  

If you expect no improvement from 2020, well, you're setting the bar of expectation far too low IMO.

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

You know by now I am not a $$ gambler.  I like my money too much (and I'm Scottish, after all).

The only thing I'm willing to gamble is my reputation, lol :)  And I do it every day.

6-11?  Could certainly happen.  So could 7-10 IMO.  8-9 is likely the top end of potential.

All would be substantial improvement over 2-14 and dead last in pretty much everything.

You read the OP, you know I'm not predicting Super Bowls here, not even the Playoffs.

I'm predicting "not horrible", as it says in the title.  i.e. Not the worst at everything, competing in games, winning a few, ect.

If you want a Super Bowl in 2021, you're going to be disappointed.  

If you expect no improvement from 2020, well, you're setting the bar of expectation far too low IMO.

Everything you said makes sense.  If you listen to folks around here Adam Gase was the worst head coach in the league, Sam Darnold was the worst starting QB in the league.  They were replaced by everyone’s first choice of the available head coaches in Rob Saleh, and the next Patrick Mahomes in Zach Wilson.   You had major upgrades in WR and edge rusher, this shouldn’t be a s**t show like it was the last couple of years, if it is we still have lots of problems.  

• Upvote 1
On 4/21/2021 at 8:21 AM, Warfish said:

-Better LB (Mosely back)

Hell yes we should! 👍

There's a whoooooole lotta assumptions there buddy.

• Upvote 1
Just now, peebag said:

There's a whoooooole lotta assumptions there buddy.

You're not wrong, but I think most would fall under the "generally agreed upon" in terms of expectations.

Which ones do you disagree with?  

Assuming the worst is a stretch as well. The past is the past. Mac isn't here, Sam isn't here, Gase isn't here. With a decent draft, this is - team that can be middling in the league. At the very least they can be in every game and not embarrass themselves.

It's all you need to know about this place that the "won't" be good thread is 3x bigger than this one, with only a days head start. It befuddles me why so many insist on being miserable. 

14 minutes ago, RVAJet815 said:

Assuming the worst is a stretch as well. The past is the past. Mac isn't here, Sam isn't here, Gase isn't here. With a decent draft, this is - team that can be middling in the league. At the very least they can be in every game and not embarrass themselves.

It's all you need to know about this place that the "won't" be good thread is 3x bigger than this one, with only a days head start. It befuddles me why so many insist on being miserable. 

Because this is a miserable team until proven otherwise. That said, I’m optimistic, against my better judgment, again. 

12 minutes ago, PS17 said:

Because this is a miserable team until proven otherwise. That said, I’m optimistic, against my better judgment, again. 

No one argues they've been miserable. It's frankly not arguable to say otherwise. And yes nothing will change perception wise until results are shown. But to assume that JD is to Mac is to Idzik is just actively seeking out misery. It also belies reality. This guy comes with an actual pedigree from organizations that have built it up successfully. I choose to trust the plan until given reason not to. There's a lot to be down about in the world. If you can't even have hope for your sport life, why even watch?

40 minutes ago, Warfish said:

You're not wrong, but I think most would fall under the "generally agreed upon" in terms of expectations.

Which ones do you disagree with?  

Better Head Coach (Gase was the worst I've ever seen.) - unknown

-Better Offensive Coordinator (Did we even have an O-Co under Gase, really?)- unknown

-Better Offensive System (Shanny-style WCO > Gase Insanity)- unknown

- unknown

-Better at RB (No more feeding old Gore.)- unknown

-Better #1 WR (Davis over Perriman.) got to give this one to ya

-Better #2 WR (Mims healthy vs. missed most of season.) - unknown

-Not having a depth guy like Berrios be #2 in Catches at WR, lol. again we don't know - don't know if the QB or any other receiver will step up

-Better O-line (almost by default, Becton 2nd Year, high Draft Pick presumably) - no decent FA agent pickup, unknown if rookie OL will step up

-Better Edge (Carl Lawson) - sure hope so

-Better LB (Mosely back) - remains to be seen if he shows up

-Better CB (presuming we sign Sherman post-draft and/or draft a CB)- unknown

-Better play from JD 2020 Draft Class (Hall at CB fully healthy, Zuninga at Edge second year, Perine at RB, Davis at Safety 2nd year, etc).- unknown

-Presumed upgrades at a number of positions (#23 pick, #34 pick at minimum should be upgrades).- unknown

Don't get me wrong, I sure hope the Jets are better this coming year but I'm not holding my breath.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Warfish said:

6 wins is a push they have to get to 7 to win 

Google kants wager if you are not actually going to bet than your conviction has not been tested 

Cheap free words if you believe it why not a charity or sig bet? I'll take the other side 

People who say "I never bet" are really saying "I'm good not looking at this too closely" 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

Everything you said makes sense.  If you listen to folks around here Adam Gase was the worst head coach in the league, Sam Darnold was the worst starting QB in the league.  They were replaced by everyone’s first choice of the available head coaches in Rob Saleh, and the next Patrick Mahomes in Zach Wilson.   You had major upgrades in WR and edge rusher, this shouldn’t be a s**t show like it was the last couple of years, if it is we still have lots of problems.  

If Zach wilsons really the next Mahomes or Rodgers he needs to sit a year or three 

The Jets are going to throw this dude to the wolves 

15 minutes ago, bitonti said:

If Zach wilsons really the next Mahomes or Rodgers he needs to sit a year or three 

I’ve been told Zach has rare arm talent, he’ll be fine.  

26 minutes ago, bitonti said:

6 wins is a push they have to get to 7 to win 

Google kants wager if you are not actually going to bet than your conviction has not been tested 

Cheap free words if you believe it why not a charity or sig bet? I'll take the other side 

People who say "I never bet" are really saying "I'm good not looking at this too closely" 

You're entitled to your opinion regarding gambling, my friend.  👍

33 minutes ago, bitonti said:

If they don't draft OL and give him some more talent, yes I agree. But If they do that, there's no reason why he can't be out there year one (notice I didn't say week one...). Again the negativity is well founded if and only if they do all the stupid stuff the previous administrations did. If they build around the QB, there's every reason to believe this kid can succeed.