Connor Hughes Mailbag (DRAFT STUFF)

I don't buy the narrative that the Jets MUST take OL at #23 or #34.

From everything I have read, there are plenty of projected mid rounders at OL who are good fits in a zone blocking scheme.  I expect Joe Douglas to play this smart and take a good prospect or two where the true value lies.

Becton, McGovern, and Fant are locks to start.  Lewis, Van Roten, Feeney, and Clark are going to battle for the two OG spots.  The Jets should absolutely continue to build the OL and take a couple of prospects in this draft, but by no means do they NEED to take one in the first or second round.  In my opinion, they are going to focus on filling the pipeline for future years, not necessarily drafting for day 1 starters.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 4

1 minute ago, DoubleDown said:

From everything I have read, there are plenty of projected mid rounders at OL who are good fits in a zone blocking scheme.  I expect Joe Douglas to play this smart and take a good prospect or two where the true value lies.

Becton, McGovern, and Fant are locks to start.  Lewis, Van Roten, Feeney, and Clark are going to battle for the two OG spots.  The Jets should absolutely continue to build the OL and take a couple of prospects in this draft, but by no means do they NEED to take one in the first or second round.  In my opinion, they are going to focus on filling the pipeline for future years, not necessarily draft for day 1 starters.

You are absolutely correct that jd does not think that there is a problem 

Fant and McGovern are his signings why would he undercut his own moves 

Meanwhile when penei Sewell is an all pro and Zach wilson is on the IR, we can cry about that 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2

I don't know if the Azeez Ojulari mention is an example or a nugget, but I was going to say that he's a guy I think the Jets will be very high on. Has character through the charts, was voted captain as a RS-Freshman, is only scratching the surface of his abilities. I think ideally Douglas would like to see a guy like him have 1 more year under his belt to refine his talent, get stronger, add healthy weight, but this isn't the year for splitting hairs... if you see a guy who checks most of the boxes, you have to take that player and develop them, even if it takes a whole year. 

I doubt he falls to 23, but he's someone I would think will be high up on their board. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I do think the problem is a bit overblown on this board for two main reasons.

The offensive line improved as the year went on and developed into a middle of the pack unit.  This was expected for an offensive line with 4 of 5 new starters and no offseason to gel.

Becton, McGovern, and Fant are all above average athletes for their positions and project well to a zone blocking scheme.

As I said, they should continue to build up the offensive line and make some heavy investments in this area.  But there is absolutely no mandate that they need day 1 starters or need to use a first or second round pick.  I wouldn't be opposed to it, but it is not a necessity.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1

6 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

I do think the problem is a bit overblown on this board for two main reasons.

The offensive line improved as the year went on and developed into a middle of the pack unit.  This was expected for an offensive line with 4 of 5 new starters and no offseason to gel.

Becton, McGovern, and Fant are all above average athletes for their positions and project well to a zone blocking scheme.

As I said, they should continue to build up the offensive line and make some heavy investments in this area.  But there is absolutely no mandate that they need day 1 starters or need to use a first or second round pick.  I wouldn't be opposed to it, but it is not a necessity.

There's a good supplemental article by Robert Mays on the Athletic. He talks about the situations the top 3 rookie QBs are going to go into, and he makes some good points, but what I took out of it is how the Bills built their line. The Jets went with a similar approach but the dudes Douglas signed haven't panned out. But in order to build the line, it's important to just get solid guys, you don't need superstars. And I think that's Douglas's approach. With Bector, McGovern and Fant you hope they can be that foundation that would allow them to make low key signings and draft picks.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

There's a good supplemental article by Robert Mays on the Athletic. He talks about the situations the top 3 rookie QBs are going to go into, and he makes some good points, but what I took out of it is how the Bills built their line. The Jets went with a similar approach but the dudes Douglas signed haven't panned out. But in order to build the line, it's important to just get solid guys, you don't need superstars. And I think that's Douglas's approach. With Bector, McGovern and Fant you hope they can be that foundation that would allow them to make low key signings and draft picks.

Agree to a point. I’d like us to take a RT with one of our first three picks.

Start him at Guard and see if Fant does even better in the new zone block system.

Then you can slide the draft pick to RT if Fant sucks or keep him at guard if Fant does even better.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

29 minutes ago, football guy said:

I don't know if the Azeez Ojulari mention is an example or a nugget, but I was going to say that he's a guy I think the Jets will be very high on. Has character through the charts, was voted captain as a RS-Freshman, is only scratching the surface of his abilities. I think ideally Douglas would like to see a guy like him have 1 more year under his belt to refine his talent, get stronger, add healthy weight, but this isn't the year for splitting hairs... if you see a guy who checks most of the boxes, you have to take that player and develop them, even if it takes a whole year. 

I doubt he falls to 23, but he's someone I would think will be high up on their board. 

I think the character stuff is great and important but man, if there’s any position that physical tools are really important it’s the edge spot. I just don’t see it with Ojulari watching with him and the testing confirmed what I see. He’s not a bad athlete and the motor is nice but it’s mostly straight line stuff and he’s really light.

There are a couple guys I could see rolling the dice on but that’s all any pick would be - this class is full of question marks. I’d really rather they just kick that down the curb a year. Lots of early picks and next year’s class looks good.

And/or take Odeyingbo early day 3 and redshirt him after that injury. Big athletic captain who won’t eat up a roster spot. So many legitimate NFL players on that DL already. Even Turner or Basham earlier than I want them day 2 if they want a captain would be better than tossing up a Hail Mary drafting anyone in this class in the first round.

3 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Agree to a point. I’d like us to take a RT with one of our first three picks.

Start him at Guard and see if Fant does even better in the new zone block system.

Then you can slide the draft pick to RT if Fant sucks or keep him at guard if Fant does even better.

Teven Jenkins would be ideal. I think I'd trade up for him.

• Upvote 3

59 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

At least Hughes is aware unlike many in the national media that OL is and should be priority.

If I see another mock draft with a defensive player going 23 and 34 I'll shoot someone.

I think Casserly has the Jets picking the defensive end Rousseau with the #23rd pick.

If the Jets did that, I would throw something at my TV.

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

Becton, McGovern, and Fant are locks to start.  Lewis, Van Roten, Feeney, and Clark are going to battle for the two OG spots.  The Jets should absolutely continue to build the OL and take a couple of prospects in this draft, but by no means do they NEED to take one in the first or second round.  In my opinion, they are going to focus on filling the pipeline for future years, not necessarily drafting for day 1 starters.

I think its better that the Jets take OL at 23 or 34, but it does appear that they are rolling with Becton, McGovern and Fant (T-C-T).   So in a a perfect world the Jets would draft a T that could help at G this year.   I do believe the Jets could find a G upgrade with the first pick in the third round, like Damien Lewis last year.

In the mock drafts that I have played with, 23 is no man's land.  AVT comes out to be the BPA there, almost every time.  So the question is how much do we like him, and whether it is worth drafting a G there at 23.   

Not to sound prejudiced, but I do have a bias against USC players nowadays.  I am just not sure they are developing the hard-nosed, mentally tough players the Jets need.

I really don't like the EDGE guys generally in this class.  JD wants tough players who love football.  The UM guys, Ajulari, don't seem that way.  Our EDGE needs to weigh 270 lbs and love football.  Basham maybe is more the type.  

If my choice in this class was an EDGE, RB, AVT, or trading down, I am trading down.  If a top 4 CB is there, including Farley, I would take him.  

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

Lol. Was about to post that thought. Play him next to Beckon and huge running lanes will open up for whoever. No way we go into the season depending on Lewis. 

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I don't know who started the rumor Fant was above average but it's wildly inaccurate. He's a back up swing tackle playing out of position. He got zero push in the run game. He's not even close to average. Mike McGlinchy is the model for this system 

The statement was above average athlete for the position, not above average in general.  It is yet to be determined how Fant will perform in a zone blocking scheme.  In my opinion, he has a better skill set for a zone blocking scheme where athleticism is key vs. a man blocking scheme where size and strength are emphasized.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Integrity28 said:

mY laTeSt mOocK dRafF:

Zach Wilson
    QB BYU

• NYJ
    Teven Jenkins
    OT Oklahoma State

• NYJ
    Creed Humphrey
    OC Oklahoma

• NYJ
    Dillon Radunz
    OT North Dakota State

• NYJ
    Walker Little
    OT Stanford

• NYJ
    James Hudson
    OT Cincinnati
    trade icon
  • NYJ
    Michael Menet
    OC Penn State

• NYJ
    Drake Jackson
    OC Kentucky

• NYJ
    Larry Borom
    OG Missouri

• NYJ
    Jimmy Morrissey
    OC Pittsburgh
    trade icon
  • NYJ
    Dan Moore
    OT Texas A&M

I think you are trying to make a point with this one.  Just not quite sure what it is, lol.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

mY laTeSt mOocK dRafF:

Zach Wilson
    QB BYU

• NYJ
    Teven Jenkins
    OT Oklahoma State

• NYJ
    Creed Humphrey
    OC Oklahoma

• NYJ
    Dillon Radunz
    OT North Dakota State

• NYJ
    Walker Little
    OT Stanford

• NYJ
    James Hudson
    OT Cincinnati
    trade icon
  • NYJ
    Michael Menet
    OC Penn State

• NYJ
    Drake Jackson
    OC Kentucky

• NYJ
    Larry Borom
    OG Missouri

• NYJ
    Jimmy Morrissey
    OC Pittsburgh
    trade icon
  • NYJ
    Dan Moore
    OT Texas A&M

I was really hoping on landing a qb from Eastern Saginaw County Community College with the 4th rounder, tbh.

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

mY laTeSt mOocK dRafF:

Zach Wilson
    QB BYU

• NYJ
    Teven Jenkins
    OT Oklahoma State

• NYJ
    Creed Humphrey
    OC Oklahoma

• NYJ
    Dillon Radunz
    OT North Dakota State

• NYJ
    Walker Little
    OT Stanford

• NYJ
    James Hudson
    OT Cincinnati
    trade icon
  • NYJ
    Michael Menet
    OC Penn State

• NYJ
    Drake Jackson
    OC Kentucky

• NYJ
    Larry Borom
    OG Missouri

• NYJ
    Jimmy Morrissey
    OC Pittsburgh
    trade icon
  • NYJ
    Dan Moore
    OT Texas A&M

ef623b6323e5e8011c55d9543c1669ef.jpg.5aa043953ed7ee8113c806be4b3f096c.jpg

53 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

I can see them moving up to 20 to get him, ahead of Indy and tenn, but not going any higher.  I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s plan A, and plan B is trading back b/c the value at 23 would be cb.  

• Upvote 2

Just now, HighPitch said:

Its so funny.....

A guy is a reporter. Suddenly he is looked at as some kind of expert or guru, just because he writes sports articles. 

The guy's opinion is no more or less valuable than the average poster here

No one is saying he's an expert or guru.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

52 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

mY laTeSt mOocK dRafF:

Zach Wilson
    QB BYU

• NYJ
    Teven Jenkins
    OT Oklahoma State

• NYJ
    Creed Humphrey
    OC Oklahoma

• NYJ
    Dillon Radunz
    OT North Dakota State

• NYJ
    Walker Little
    OT Stanford

• NYJ
    James Hudson
    OT Cincinnati
    trade icon
  • NYJ
    Michael Menet
    OC Penn State

• NYJ
    Drake Jackson
    OC Kentucky

• NYJ
    Larry Borom
    OG Missouri

• NYJ
    Jimmy Morrissey
    OC Pittsburgh
    trade icon
  • NYJ
    Dan Moore
    OT Texas A&M

Only one OG?  Way to neglect the position :D

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DoubleDown said:

The statement was above average athlete for the position, not above average in general.  It is yet to be determined how Fant will perform in a zone blocking scheme.  In my opinion, he has a better skill set for a zone blocking scheme where athleticism is key vs. a man blocking scheme where size and strength are emphasized.

If pff grades are to be believed, Becton's average about 32nd out of the 64 starting tackles. Fant is in the 50s somewhere 

McGovern was below average according to the pff so essentially, the Jets have one decent lineman and a bunch of folks who probably don't start on other teams 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

Fant and McGovern are his signings why would he undercut his own moves 

Meanwhile when penei Sewell is an all pro and Zach wilson is on the IR, we can cry about that 

I guess using your logic we’ll see how afraid he is of undercutting his signings after the draft.  
Im not buying it.  It’s why you insist on a 6 year contract 

30 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

And I am not bashing you for posting it. I am just saying, who is conner hughs and why does anyone care about what he thinks

why are you reading, let alone posting, in a thread titled connor hughes mailbag stuff, if you don't care about connor hughes' opinion/articles?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1