Joe Douglas, Robert Saleh and Rex Hogan to give their predraft news conference today 2:15pm

Jetsbb

1 hour ago, IntoTheGreen said:

Interestingly enough I don't think JD picked players that were necessarily fits for Gase. In any event I understand where you are coming from. Good coaches should be able to scheme for the talent they have. From what I have read over the years Saleh has evolved his D based on his talent and I like that. However, I also disagree with you. While there might be some talent too good to pass up, generally speaking you need players to fill roles. We finally have philosophies on both sides of the ball. Give them the pieces they need to execute. No reason to pick a "better" OLmen if they cant reach the second level. That does nothing to help our team. No reason to pick a CB who is better at man when we are running zone. In the end, the players won't reach their potential and the team wont move the needle.

Jets have done the BAP thing for like a decade with awful results. Part of that has been really bad GMs and talent evaluators; part of that have been coaches that have brought zero culture since Rex, but thats legit been our strategy. The good teams have stability and draft players that fit what they do. Hopefully we can get there some day.

I would think that a GM would draft all of his players to fit the coach. 

Last year's picks are a bit odd.

Becton-ok.  Mims-needed a WR.  Davis-pass over Lewis, presumably was a replacement for Maye at FS.  Whoops.  Perine-seems like a Gase type RB.  Morgan-drop back QB, not necessarily WCO.  Whoops.   Zuniga-not a 3-4 fit really-more the 4-3.   Clark?  I thought more of a man than zone block fit.  Hall?  Cover 2 corner.  Was that what we played last year.

Hopefully this year is better than last. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Lith said:

Jets GM Joe Douglas says scheme fit is important in addition to physical traits: arm talent and athleticism. He also mentions the intangibles, the leadership, physical toughness and mental toughness.

JD has bet his career on Wilson displaying all these attributes.

I hope JD does everything he can to make this kid successful. Draft OL/OL/WR and TE on day one and day 2 AND JD needs to ''hit" on a day 3 player.

A crappy draft will seal JD's fate in NY. 

2 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

You’re talking like Ballard’s strategy was by design when you know full well it wasn’t. Indy, btw, is a perfect example of how that strategy  can make your team a perennial also-ran. 

Oh okay.

7 hours ago, Lith said:

Has JD been asleep the last two years? The #2 OA QB pick WILL face huge pressure and JD is stupid to 'downplay the pressure' a new #2 OA QB will face in NY.

Hopefully this is just pre-draft posturing and his draft is totally focused on helping Wilson.