Zach Wilson has spoken with three former Jets QBs about playing in New York

Jetsbb

10 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

The Jets are the 49ers East. Same system, same coaching tree, etc. Fortunes turn on a dime in the NFL. The Jets could be better than SF in 2022. And you still didn’t answer my question. Why do you want Wilson to spurn the Jets?

We’re like the 49ers minus the 4 super bowl trophies, storied history, great management, solid ownership and SB appearance two years ago

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

And Steve Young his fellow BYU alum with 49er ties probably begging him to force a trade 

Steve was on some interview with Zach and said his good friend is coaching QB's with the jets.  So while yea he's a 49ers fan, I'm not sure he's against him going to the jets and getting coached by a good friend of his.  I'm assuming he was referring to Knapp, but I know Calabrese is the QB coach so who knows. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Were I Zach Wilson, I would get in front of a reporter and say, “I will not play for the Jets. They suck.” 

I can't imagine how helpful this would be for his bratty, entitled image. 

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

You are Zach Wilson and you are in a bar, and there are 20 minutes until closing. Sitting next to you is a behemoth swamp creature woman you met on Tinder who desperately wants to bang you. But, across the bar sits a supermodel, who is giving you the eye. In order to get to the supermodel, you have to be *slightly rude* to the behemoth, which would be a dick move, but eh, it’s a little passing discomfort. 

More info is needed. You haven't described their personalities. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

He didn’t speak to Darnold. It was Sanchez, Pennington and McCown.

Sanchez lights up when talking about the Jets. He still loves them and why not given the highs he had here. He’s well aware how great it is to win in NY.

McCown had one of his best years here.

The only guy who should have anything bad to say is Pennington. Who was completely under appreciated by our garbage fanbase, who even cheered when he went down. Then he got chucked out for one of the biggest pieces of sh*t in the NFL, a guy who was using us as a stepping stone for his petty revenge tour. 

What a nasty thing to say about Kellen Clemens. Never mind Petty's revenge tour was so much later, and so short-lived, I barely see the significance.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

Sanchez lights up when talking about the Jets. He still loves them and why not given the highs he had here. He’s well aware how great it is to win in NY.

McCown had one of his best years here.

The only guy who should have anything bad to say is Pennington. Who was completely under appreciated by our garbage fanbase, who even cheered when he went down. Then he got chucked out for one of the biggest pieces of sh*t in the NFL, a guy who was using us as a stepping stone for his petty revenge tour. 

Chad Pennington was surrounded by one of the best OL/Defensive supporting casts in the NFL for his entire career as a Jet. He also was signed to a team record 65 million dollar extension. The guy was treated like a king here. 

• Upvote 1

You are Zach Wilson and you are in a bar, and there are 20 minutes until closing. Sitting next to you is a behemoth swamp creature woman you met on Tinder who desperately wants to bang you. But, across the bar sits a supermodel, who is giving you the eye. In order to get to the supermodel, you have to be *slightly rude* to the behemoth, which would be a dick move, but eh, it’s a little passing discomfort. 

False. Zach Wilson can’t get into a bar. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

The real man figures out how to bang the behemoth( necessary requirement ) by being rude and being smart enough to then set up a long term plan with the supermodel. Never turn away the behemoth, sometimes you have to embrace the supportive beast.

• Haha 2

The guy he should talk to about playing in NYC is Eli Manning.  You can argue how good or bad he was but he kept his composure with the media, fans and in big spots in big games.  He pretty much ended up being very well liked and has a shot to go into the HOF with a marginal stat line.  He also made 252 million in salary not including endorsements.   

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Biggs said:

The guy he should talk to about playing in NYC is Eli Manning.  You can argue how good or bad he was but he kept his composure with the media, fans and in big spots in big games.  He pretty much ended up being very well liked and has a shot to go into the HOF with a marginal stat line.  He also made 252 million in salary not including endorsements.   

If Eli was a Jet he would have been ran out of town by year 3. Heck he had 23 TDs and 20 INTs his fourth year, completing 56% of his passes with a 73 rating... 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Morrissey said:

Are you gonna pretend Jets are the reason Sanchez failed? He was giving every opportunity to succeed.  Great defense, good OL, good running game, good WRers. He was the weakest link. I wish Wilson was handed that team.

"cough, cough" Rex Ryan  "cough, cough"

2 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

He spoke to Darnold a few weeks ago in California. Sanchez was most recently quoted as saying the best thing for Darnold’s career was to get the living hell away from the Jets. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, slats said:

I can't imagine how helpful this would be for his bratty, entitled image. 

I think taking the position that he’d prefer not to entrust his career to the NYJ would be treated pretty warmly by the national media. They love to dunk on the Jets, as we know.

3 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

The Jets are the 49ers East. Same system, same coaching tree, etc. Fortunes turn on a dime in the NFL. The Jets could be better than SF in 2022. And you still didn’t answer my question. Why do you want Wilson to spurn the Jets?

We hope the Jets will become like the 49ers, but they are not the 49ers as yet. Fortunes turn on a dime sometimes, but rarely, and it’s hard to see a path where that dime appears in the next year or more. I want Wilson to spurn the Jets because 1. I think he’s going to melt down here and 2. The guys pimping him are very lippy.

25 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Heres the scoop in playing in NY.  Win and we will love you.  Lose and we wont.

Same as any other city.

The bar for success for a Jets QB isn't even all that high. Darnold was pretty bad for 3 years (his fault or Gase or supporting cast) and there were fans that still wanted him around because he was competent in comparison to Geno and Hack and Sanchez. 

If Wilson is just average and takes us to a playoff game or two, he will be hailed a hero by Jets fans.... at least for the first few years of his career.  

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The bar for success for a Jets QB isn't even all that high. Darnold was pretty bad for 3 years (his fault or Gase or supporting cast) and there were fans that still wanted him around because he was competent in comparison to Geno and Hack and Sanchez. 

If Wilson is just average and takes us to a playoff game or two, he will be hailed a hero by Jets fans.... at least for the first few years of his career.  

Yup.  Zach is going to love it here.  The culture and environment Joe D and Saleh are creating is going to be one of the best in the league.

The Jets will be a top destination for any player moving forward.  What a time to be a Jet fan!!

Enjoy fellas!!!!!!  We have finally done it.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, C Mart said:

Doesn’t have to do with scheme. It has to do with being a QB in NY.  What to expect from media, fans. How to handle being under a microscope.  Understanding the weight of 50 yrs on non-winning etc. 

Its interesting that no one thinks to reach out to Boomer about this stuff.. He would have one of the better perspectives as he's now in the media market. 

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

The media treatment of the Giants and Jets is very different, locally and nationally.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-draft-2021-zach-wilson-talked-to-former-jets-qbs-about-what-its-like-playing-in-new-york-per-report/

Is no one else getting tired of these national media A holes bagging on the Jets every chance they get? This guy cherry picks some stats to denigrate every QB that ever played for them. They had a lot of winning seasons with Testeverde, Chad Pennington, and Mark Sanchez. The Jets were successful making the playoffs consistently with Parcells, Mangini, Herm Edwards, and Rex Ryan. They are making it sound like this has been a loser organization forever. Chad Pennington retired with the all time completion percentage, made comeback player of the year twice and won the AFC ease twice with multiple playoff games. Zach can only hope he is as successful as Pennington was.

And 3 of them won playoff games..

I mean it's easy points. Every other fan base thinks it's hilarious. Bottom line is it's a week until the draft and they're flat out done with any news. They're filling time. I.e. Let's make fun of the Jets some more. Nothing changes until wins come. You'll notice...not laughing at the Browns anymore are they? Get this new regime to Win some games and they'll find a new target. Til then, just ignore the noise. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

The media treatment of the Giants and Jets is very different, locally and nationally.

Pro Athletes in NY who have performed well and acted like pro's have been treated very well.  Yes the Yankees and the Giants are on a different level than the Jets or the Mets.  The guys who carry themselves professional and perform are treated great in NYC.  

If Daniel Jones doesn't make a big leap he's going to be treated exactly like Sanchez and Sam Darnold.  

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Heres the scoop in playing in NY.  Win and we will love you.  Lose and we wont.

Same as any other city.

i think this is what he needs to know

if you win, you are jesus christ, mary and joey, too.

if you lose, you are complete trash, horrible, dead to the world, a piece of human sh*t and we can't wait to drive your sorry, ugly, worthless ass out of town.

that's how it works.

Why would anyone in media consider Penny a flop? He took the Jets to a few playoff runs and then alter got one with Miami, I think. He was a solid QB that dealt with injuries but Jets certainly didn't inhibit him. 

Sanchez played in two division championship games on loaded teams. Things fell off the rails a few years in with poor protection and no one to throw to, but again, don't think he has much to say bad about us. 

I think Mark sympathized with Darnold because of how the end of his experience went with Jets as the Gase era mirrored a lot there, Darnold needed a fresh start and everyone down to Salah says that, it's not a slight on the Jets to say so.