Interesting interview with Steve Young on Zach Wilson with the Jets

Jetsbb

12 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

This interview is so embarrassing for the Jets organization. 

It’s like listening to a mother trying to accept and rationalize that her daughter is dating a crackhead.

“But this time its different! He got a job...interview...at SafeWay!”

I am hopeful with Douglas + Saleh + LaFleur + Wilson. But this really crystallizes how pathetic this team is. 

You can FEEL the anxiety that poppa Wilson has for his son, asking Steve Young “please tell me it’s going to be okay.....please..”

Yes.  Great way to articulate the sentiment.  

It was completely condescending, but the reality is the Jets have been awful and particularly bad at developing QB’s. It’s inarguable.  
None of that is to say the Jets can’t put things together, but yes that interview should  embarrass the Jets organization.  

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

This interview is so embarrassing for the Jets organization. 

It’s like listening to a mother trying to accept and rationalize that her daughter is dating a crackhead.

“But this time its different! He got a job...interview...at SafeWay!”

I am hopeful with Douglas + Saleh + LaFleur + Wilson. But this really crystallizes how pathetic this team is. 

You can FEEL the anxiety that poppa Wilson has for his son, asking Steve Young “please tell me it’s going to be okay.....please..”

The Jets deserve their reputation. Nothing will change that until they build a consistent winning culture.

Douglas - Saleh - Wilson is just the our latest attempt, but at least for the first time in a long time it feels like everyone will be on the same page.

We have no choice but to be hopeful.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes.  Great way to articulate the sentiment.  

It was completely condescending, but the reality is the Jets have been awful and particularly bad at developing QB’s. It’s inarguable.  
None of that is to say the Jets can’t put things together, but yes that interview should  embarrass the Jets organization.  

Other than Darnold, is that even true? 

What's Mark going to tell him? "Yeah, they screwed me over in my rookie season by only getting me three pro-bowlers on the line. And bringing in LT, Santonio and Braylon in my second season really held me back. As soon as I got the hell out of that cess-pit, my career really took off in Philly, Denver, Dallas, Chicaog and Washington".

Or McCown. "Yeah, of the ten teams I played for, the Jets only gave me my best statisical season by far. Other than that, I hated the place".

Pennington's on the phone. "Hey Zach, I was fortunate I had a 68.9% completion rate, 22 touchdowns, 6 interceptions. 104.2 passer rating in my first season as a starter. Because otherwise those fans and the media would have killed me".

Like, I get it. That's the media narrative that is out there, the Jets are inept at developing quarterbacks. But I'd like to think Pennington, Sanchez and McCown will have a different outlook on it and their perspective is the one Zach is focusing on., not Colin friggin Cowherd. 

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

Other than Darnold, is that even true? 

What's Mark going to tell him? "Yeah, they screwed me over in my rookie season by only getting me three pro-bowlers on the line. And bringing in LT, Santonio and Braylon in my second season really held me back. As soon as I got the hell out of that cess-pit, my career really took off in Philly, Denver, Dallas, Chicaog and Washington".

Or McCown. "Yeah, of the ten teams I played for, the Jets only gave me my best statisical season by far. Other than that, I hated the place".

Pennington's on the phone. "Hey Zach, I was fortunate I had a 68.9% completion rate, 22 touchdowns, 6 interceptions. 104.2 passer rating in my first season as a starter. Because otherwise those fans and the media would have killed me".

Like, I get it. That's the media narrative that is out there, the Jets are inept at developing quarterbacks. But I'd like to think Pennington, Sanchez and McCown will have a different outlook on it and their perspective is the one Zach is focusing on., not Colin friggin Cowherd. 

Darnold, Hackenburg, Sanchez and Geno all 1st or 2nd round picks - all ended up being terrible.

I'm not sure how you can possibly look at that and disagree. You can say they drafted poorly or say they didn't do enough to help them. - but it's entirely undeniable that they've been bad at developing QB's.

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Darnold, Hackenburg, Sanchez and Geno all 1st or 2nd round picks - all ended up being terrible.

I'm not sure how you can possibly look at that and disagree. You can say they drafted poorly or say they didn't do enough to help them. - but it's entirely undeniable that they've been bad at developing QB's.

Did they end up terrible, or were they terrible to begin with? You answered your own question, we're bad at evaluating QBs rather than developing them. None of these QBs improved after they left the Jets. 

Zach is an intelligent guy. There's a reason he's seeking out Pennington, Sanchez and McCown for advice, rather than Darnold, Hackenberg and Smith. He wants to know how the former three QBs overcame the noise and had their most successful seasons in New York. 

2 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

Did they end up terrible, or were they terrible to begin with? You answered your own question, we're bad at evaluating QBs rather than developing them. None of these QBs improved after they left the Jets. 

Zach is an intelligent guy. There's a reason he's seeking out Pennington, Sanchez and McCown for advice, rather than Darnold, Hackenberg and Smith. He wants to know how the former three QBs overcame the noise and had their most successful seasons in New York. 

If those qbs don't tell him "yeh kid you're screwed, just like every other Jets draft pick" they are lying 

Just now, bitonti said:

If those qbs don't tell him "yeh kid you're screwed, just like every other Jets draft pick" they are lying 

2/3 Recent Jets QBs drafted in first round made the playoffs multiple times and got huge second contracts- even though they both didn’t deserve it. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Well in all honesty, they were all terrible before they got here.  

3 hours ago, Mark78 said:

Classic way to start the video.

"Zach Wilson out of BYU, don't know much about him, but I just don't feel good about him"

He's at least being honest, most of these talking heads just take a position without any knowledge whatsoever and pretend like they're experts.

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

Just call him out for the hypocrite he is.  Like when he calls for trading for Jimmy G, a small school, actually proven to be injury prone QB even though he slams Wilson in every thread for being from BYU and having an injury from high school repaired.  Or mention how he stole another posters username because he got banned on his 5 other accounts for spamming the board with his “we should have taken Deshone Kizer” hot-takes and wanted to hide from the mods.

Usually gets him to disappear for a couple of hours.

Ouch. 

• Haha 1

Funny thing is, at this point, I would think HOU would jump at the chance to trade us Watson for #2 straight up.  And I would also think that almost nobody here or anywhere else would think that's a good deal anymore.  Amazing how things can change so quickly.

There is no denying that the Jets have been terrible at developing QB's over the last 20 years, and while I've always gritted my teeth and have been the eternal optimist when it came to "next year" and "the next GM and HC," most of the time I was just waiting for the next crash and burn.  Jets fans have been programmed to think this way. 

So while it might be hokey for me to say this, I really do think that THIS time it's going to be different.  I like the GM, I like the new HC, and for the first time in a long time, it seems like there's an actual plan in place that the entire organization is behind.  Let's see if they can finally deliver.