Zach Wilson smells like trouble, let's stop nitpicking Trevor Lawrence ; Colin | NFL | THE HERD... Colin Herd CRAPS on Zach... 

18 minutes ago, derp said:

Everybody is going to make this about Wilson and I know you’re killing him here too but somebody please give me the list of rookie quarterbacks who have transcended bad situations they were drafted into.

This is the supporting cast that ruined Darnold - plus Corey Davis, Keelan Cole, and rookies - with everyone learning a new system.

Although it’s not like the two superstar quarterbacks everyone compares Wilson to sat at least their rookie seasons and came into stable situations. Actually, wait a second...

You’d think both Saleh and Douglas would sit Wilson as a hedge to buy some time for themselves to pull the roster together. If they’re infatuated with his skill set, cool, they have him on the roster. But they can’t look at him physically or look at his level of competition and feel like they have to run him out there on Day One for any reason. It’d be malfeasance. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

They really should find a way to sit Zach Wilson for a year here. Jets fans are burned out by the QB carousel, none of them have ever seen Wilson play in college, and they’re going to go insane when he starts out by sucking ass. Add to that, the kid looks like he’s an emo mush with a Lavar Ball-type dad, and it all adds up to Tim Couch. Start Bridgewater or Mullens or whoever for a year.

Or... They should draft a real impact player at 2 instead of a bust. And find a qb when they are ready 

• Thumb Down 3
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

I disagree that he’s not physically ready to survive in the league, 6-2 215 is plenty sturdy enough to play QB in the NFL(he’s a whole 1lb heavier than Lawrence who’s a stick insect out there) where I do agree is there is zero harm in sitting him to begin with and building a cohesive unit around him first. There’s a reason Mahomes hit the ground running the way he did and it wasn’t just his talent, the situation was perfect for him.

Bridgewater would make a ton of sense here, wonder if Carolina parts with him post draft depending on how things shake out?. His contract seems to make him staying with the Panthers the overriding likelihood but we have the cap to take it on and perhaps the Panthers accept a favourable trade.

I get that he weighed 215, but not all 215’s are the same, especially when the dude has already had labrum issues. The guy needs to add some upper body mass in the worst way, and it’s also curious that no one has clocked him running a 40 because of some lingering hamstring problem(?). 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You’d think both Saleh and Douglas would sit Wilson as a hedge to buy some time for themselves to pull the roster together. If they’re infatuated with his skill set, cool, they have him on the roster. But they can’t look at him physically or look at his level of competition and feel like they have to run him out there on Day One for any reason. It’d be malfeasance. 

That's exactly what's going to happen though 

• Upvote 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

Or he’s really good and should play. He’s also 6”2 210 and will easily bulk up to 215 by seasons start, I don’t see the issue there.  I think it will come down to the schedule. If we open up with a bunch of division games I’d sit him. But if the cupcake part of the schedule (defensively) is early in the season- you have to start him IMO. 

Just now, T0mShane said:

I get that he weighed 215, but not all 215’s are the same, especially when the dude has already had labrum issues. The guy needs to add some upper body mass in the worst way, and it’s also curious that no one has clocked him running a 40 because of some lingering hamstring issue(?). 

He's really more like 205

He looked heavy with water weight on his pro day 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2

Just now, bitonti said:

Or... They should draft a real impact player at 2 instead of a bust. And find a qb when they are ready 

It feels like we have to accept the reality that they’re taking Wilson and now it’s just about maximizing any potential return on that investment. I think he busts if he starts early, but maybe they can attenuate some of that by keeping the pressure off of him while he lifts weights and proves to his teammates that he’s not a moist boy.

Just now, T0mShane said:

It feels like we have to accept the reality that they’re taking Wilson and now it’s just about maximizing any potential return on that investment. I think he busts if he starts early, but maybe they can attenuate some of that by keeping the pressure off of him while he lifts weights and proves to his teammates that he’s not a moist boy.

If someone decides to drive a car into an overpass we have to accept the reality that they are bad drivers 

This is the complete ass backwards way to build a program and Joe burrows knee is proof 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

That's exactly what's going to happen though 

It’s where the “Johnsons are bad owners” factor comes into play. I’d imagine ol’ Woody will want to parade Zach through some of his lavish shareholder galas like a show-pony right away and having Wilson on the bench would get in the way of that. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

They really should find a way to sit Zach Wilson for a year here. Jets fans are burned out by the QB carousel, none of them have ever seen Wilson play in college, and they’re going to go insane when he starts out by sucking ass. Add to that, the kid looks like he’s an emo mush with a Lavar Ball-type dad, and it all adds up to Tim Couch. Start Bridgewater or Mullens or whoever for a year.

I feel like Mr. Wilson was definitely the dad who threatened Coach when his sweet little boy didnt get the proper attention he deserved for being born.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, SupaPico said:

Or he’s really good and should play. He’s also 6”2 210 and will easily bulk up to 215 by seasons start, I don’t see the issue there.  I think it will come down to the schedule. If we open up with a bunch of division games I’d sit him. But if the cupcake part of the schedule (defensively) is early in the season- you have to start him IMO. 

What would constitute the “cupcake part of the schedule”? The Jets won 2 games last year and Wilson hasn’t played against a real D-1 football team in two years

• Upvote 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

It’s where the “Johnsons are bad owners” factor comes into play. I’d imagine ol’ Woody will want to parade Zach through some of his lavish shareholder galas like a show-pony right away and having Wilson on the bench would get in the way of that. 

Whoever the number 2 pick is will get a 20 million dollar check up front

Woody has rarely if ever cut a check of that size for a single player and there's no way in hell he's going to accept the team losing while the most expensive player in franchise history watches 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, SupaPico said:

He came in at 215 in the pro day you don’t carry 10 lbs of water if you want to have a good pro day lol

Exactly. He didn't work out at all. He only did drills. We don't have a 40, a 3 cone, vert, broad... nothing... Because he was bulking dirty for the scale 

That hamstring story was exactly that a story 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

What would constitute the “cupcake part of the schedule”? The Jets won 2 games last year and Wilson hasn’t played against a real D-1 football team in two years

Defensively... Houston, Atlanta, Cinci, Jax, Philly, Carolina 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, derp said:

Everybody is going to make this about Wilson and I know you’re killing him here too but somebody please give me the list of rookie quarterbacks who have transcended bad situations they were drafted into.

This is the supporting cast that ruined Darnold - plus Corey Davis, Keelan Cole, and rookies - with everyone learning a new system.

Although it’s not like the two superstar quarterbacks everyone compares Wilson to sat at least their rookie seasons and came into stable situations. Actually, wait a second...

Yep and the other factor, the only example I cant think of legit in my lifetime of a rookie HC and rookie QB being paired together and working is Jimmy Johnson and Troy Aikman.

I highly prefer Fields and Lance, I'd want both of them on the bench to start the season, if not the entire year.  

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

It's not like he was eating cheese for a month but he definitely looked puffy 

As someone who used to wrestle I can assure you all that water weight is easily manipulated 

Yes but he’s not a wrestler and I don’t think he had 15 lbs of water weight and cut right after the pro day 

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It just makes so much sense. Get stability on the offensive line, let the run game get rolling, buy yourself a year to add a little more talent and have a primary passing game option...

I know the talent on the team looks better, the WR depth chart is an improvement, but it’s all still bad. And all of the guys who have been successful as young QB’s have had a legitimate go to guy in the passing game.

I realize it won’t happen but man if Pitts slides go trade 23, 34, and Carolina’s second next year to go get him. Meinerz and Kendrick Green in the third round. Kick McGovern to guard. Dayo Odeyingbo, Buddy Johnson, Ben Mason, Nick Niemann, and Kene Nwangwu day three. Got the primary passing game option, remade the interior of the offensive line, added two fast linebackers, a fullback, a running back with wheels who plays special teams, and a big athletic edge prospect, didn’t break the day three captain rule, and still have two first round picks next year to keep building the roster. Sign Steven Nelson if you feel like you need a corner and Mullens to take a beating while the line gels. Start of a football team.

My one genuine hope for Douglas and Saleh and this scheme in general is that they stop spending early draft capital on stupid positions - particularly ones the staff should be able to identify and develop. Linebacker this year is a great one. Pretty sure they have no long-term answer and there are a bunch of day three captains who can run. Bring in a couple of those guys and show me they can be starters this year or next.

This GM run has been so, so bad that we’re not used to the Jets developing starters with those day three picks...but that’s what good franchises do.

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

If someone decides to drive a car into an overpass we have to accept the reality that they are bad drivers 

This is the complete ass backwards way to build a program and Joe burrows knee is proof 

Sensible thing would be to trade down, even to the Niners, take a Jones, get picks and build around a guy who has seen a pass rush consisting of 7 280+ 6'5" monsters who run like cats, already has  internalized  a 2.5 second clock  and flourished. Also, no history of shoulder surgery.

In what video I've seen of Wilson vs. Tennessee, looks like a scared rabbit. 

We're going for the car crash. On purpose. 

• Upvote 1