Jets Draft Board: Protection and Playmakers

I agree about RB, I know RBs are devalued and the Jets will use unknowns because of the shanny system thing but you should not go out of your way to avoid really good players at that position.  I'd be happy if we drafted Harris or Etienne.  (But oline is still #1 priority)

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I agree about RB, I know RBs are devalued and the Jets will use unknowns because of the shanny system thing but you should not go out of your way to avoid really good players at that position.  I'd be happy if we drafted Harris or Etienne.  (But oline is still #1 priority)

When's the last time we actually had a running back perform adequately for an entire season?

• Upvote 4

I'm sure that list isn't exhaustive. So many guys they can meet with via Zoom - there's usually a larger list than that for in person contact. 

I think Devonta Smith is a dude you want on this team. Really high character guy. Seems like he'll slide because he's light but if he hits, which I think he will, it's huge for a young quarterback to have a go to option.

Not a lot of offensive linemen and I wonder if they kick tackle down the curb a little but Larnel Coleman is athletic and high character. Would be a really nice day three pick to develop behind Fant and I think they have room on the roster. Behind Becton, Edoga, and Fant I think the tackle to beat out for a roster spot is Connor McGovern.

Love Creed Humphrey too. Seems like he'll always be the adult in the room. And a great athlete to boot.

Finally, Kene Nwangwu baby. Team captain, stuck behind great college backs his whole college career, plays special teams, ran a 4.32 at 6' 210. Late round pick and let him shine in the ZBS.

• Upvote 1

I saw a mock recently where the Jets selected Pat Freiermuth in the third round. The mock assumed Freiermuth slipped that far. Would love for Joe Douglas to get a guy that well thought of in the 3rd round. That would be great value and a no brainer need pick.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, TheClashFan said:

My dream: Jenkins at 23 (RT or start at RG for a year) and Creed (C) at 34. Two new starters on the line and McGovern slides to G.

Then BPA the rest of the way, focusing on CB, offense, and maybe another edge guy. Maybe a third OL to develop from the 5th round on.

If that is who we got at 23 and 34 I would be totally elated.  As an added bonus this forum would be elated as well as I'd finally shut up with my crying and bleating about neglect of the oline.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, IntoTheGreen said:

Jets started interviews before they traded Darnold. Trading back from 2 was on the table. That is more the reason why they interviewed guys like Waddle. Is a trade up in the event of a slide possible? Sure, but that's not why they were originally interviewed. 

So where are the other top 10 guys they interviewed besides Waddle and Smith?

Will add this to OP. 

Here are the Visits last year. 

We visited with 42 players last year. We drafted 5 of the players we visited with. 

The OP mentions visits with 50 players. Perhaps there is some missing. But you can bet we will be drafting players on that list. 

But here are the 42 players that the Jets are confirmed to have visited with so far.

• QB (1): James Morgan (FIU)
  • RB (2): Dre Brown (Illinois), James Robinson (Illinois State)
  • WR (7): Lawrence Cager (Georgia), Van Jefferson (Florida), Jerry Jeudy (Alabama), CeeDee Lamb (Oklahoma), Denzel Mims (Baylor), Darrell Stewart (Michigan State), Binjimen Victor (Ohio State)
  • TE (1): Giovanni Ricci (Western Michigan)
  • OT (8): Mekhi Becton (Louisville), Brandon Bowen (Ohio State), Cameron Clark (Charlotte), Austin Jackson (USC), Josh Jones (Houston), Andrew Thomas (Georgia), Jedrick Wills (Alabama), Tristan Wirfs (Iowa)
  • OG (4): Robert Hunt (Louisiana-Lafayette), Damien Lewis (LSU), Kyle Murphy (Rhode Island), Michael Onwenu (Michigan)
  • C (4): Nick Harris (Washington), Frederick Mauigoa (Washington State), Cesar Ruiz (Michigan), Darryl Williams (Mississippi State)
  • EDGE (6): K’Lavon Chaisson (LSU), Jonathan Greenard (Florida), Azur Kamara (Kansas), Julian Okwara (Notre Dame), James Smith-Williams (NC State), Jonah Williams (Weber State)
  • DL (2): Kameron Cline (South Dakota), Larrell Murchison (NC State)
  • CB (7): Cameron Dantzler (Mississippi State), Javaris Davis (Auburn), Trevon Diggs (Alabama), Kristian Fulton (LSU), Jeff Gladney (TCU), Amik Robertson (Louisiana Tech), Keith Washington (West Virginia)

16 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

So where are the other top 10 guys they interviewed besides Waddle and Smith?

5 of them are QBs. It's reasonable to assume JD wasn't going to draft another LT (Sewell)...we had rumored interest in Pitts so not sure why he wasn't interviewed, but who else are we supposed to have been interviewing there? Chase? That's basically the top 10 this year.

1 minute ago, IntoTheGreen said:

5 of them are QBs. It's reasonable to assume JD wasn't going to draft another LT (Sewell)...we had rumored interest in Pitts so not sure why he wasn't interviewed, but who else are we supposed to have been interviewing there? Chase? That's basically the top 10 this year.

They never interviewed ANY player that is locked into the top 10. Chase? Pitts? Sewell? Slater? Surtain? Basically they interviewed no player in the top 10 besides the QB's. 

Depending on who's mock your looking at Devonta Smith or Waddle (Or Both) are being taking 10 or later. Jeremiah's latest mock has Devonta Smith 11 and Waddle 16. Both are taking from 10-20 in several other writers as well. 

With Douglas mentioning in the last few days he is already discussing trade up the targets for a move up are clearly one of Devonta or Waddle or perhaps AVT/Jenkins depending on the Jets rankings. All 4 guys go from 11-24 in just about every mock out there. 

5 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Etienne is a day 1 starter and you can give him the ball 20+ times a game. The Jets could use that.

If and when the Jets trade down in the second round Etienne becomes very interesting. Because let's say they move down to 40 or so and one of he or Harris are on the board who else on the above list would be ranked higher than them? Rondale Moore? I would think Etienne takes that?

6 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Surprised with the OL names that aren’t listed. Eichenberg ND, would be in that #34 range. He’d slide into RT seamlessly. JOSH Myers C OSU @ #66. I do like the WR group having been interviewed. Schwartz in the 5th would be a steal. 

Super Surprised too. For me it was that they didn't interview Darrishaw. 

Overall I just took this as what your looking at for the Jets is some combination of Oline and Playmaker at 23 and 34. It seems that those are the positions we are focusing on unless someone special slips. 

• Upvote 1

Trade up to 16 (ARI) from 23; the cost is 3(86), and 4(107).  both get 1000 pts value

Trade back to 43 (SF) from 34; the profit is 3(92).  trade favors Jets 2 pts

1(2): Zatch Wilson 

1(16): T. Jenkins (RG)

2(43): Turner/ Bashum/Perkins (Edge)

3(66): Little/Christensen (LG)

3(102): Dylan Moses (LB, or Best WR)

17 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Trade up to 16 (ARI) from 23; the cost is 3(86), and 4(107).  both get 1000 pts value

Trade back to 43 (SF) from 34; the profit is 3(92).  trade favors Jets 2 pts

1(2): Zatch Wilson 

1(16): T. Jenkins (RG)

2(43): Turner/ Bashum/Perkins (Edge)

3(66): Little/Christensen (LG)

3(102): Dylan Moses (LB, or Best WR)

Brilliant trades to get us back a 3. 

You prob land a top RB at 43 like Etienne if you want. 

3 hours ago, IntoTheGreen said:

Just thinking out loud here....I suppose most of GMs keep track of which teams made high level visits the players they themselves covet....

If we go oline at 23, ive come around to taking Ettienne at 34.  I was thinking Terrace Marshal there but with us having a solid top 3 receiver set for this year, im in on Ettienne.  We can addres reciever next year when they dump crowder.

There is no one at 34 that would have a bigger impact on our offense then Ettienne.

• Upvote 1

From Albert Brewer a few days ago ... Jenkins has a back problem? ...

From Dog faceOrange heart (@WhereMyDawgz): Other than Farley and Parsons that could potentially slip, who else can you see fall?

To be clear here, Caleb Farley’s issues are health-related (back surgery), and Micah Parsons’s go back to his makeup/character. Both are freak athletes. Both are capable of being top-shelf pros at their position (Farley a cornerback, Parsons a linebacker). Farley needs a little luck. Parsons needs a little maturity. I know their blemishes aren’t disqualifying for some teams, so we’ll see who takes the plunge. If either reaches the back half of the first round, the value there could be sky-high.

Some others that have slid a little …

• Michigan OT Jalen Mayfield was banged up this year, playing just two games last fall, and didn’t work out well at his pro day. At this point, I’d be surprised if he goes the first round

• Oklahoma State OL Teven Jenkins and RB Chuba Hubbard are two others who’ve slid. There are concerns over Jenkins’s injury history (back) and makeup, and Hubbard’s a back whose calling card, lacking elusiveness, was speed, and he only ran in the 4.5s.

4 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

From Albert Brewer a few days ago ... Jenkins has a back problem? ...

From Dog faceOrange heart (@WhereMyDawgz): Other than Farley and Parsons that could potentially slip, who else can you see fall?

To be clear here, Caleb Farley’s issues are health-related (back surgery), and Micah Parsons’s go back to his makeup/character. Both are freak athletes. Both are capable of being top-shelf pros at their position (Farley a cornerback, Parsons a linebacker). Farley needs a little luck. Parsons needs a little maturity. I know their blemishes aren’t disqualifying for some teams, so we’ll see who takes the plunge. If either reaches the back half of the first round, the value there could be sky-high.

Some others that have slid a little …

• Michigan OT Jalen Mayfield was banged up this year, playing just two games last fall, and didn’t work out well at his pro day. At this point, I’d be surprised if he goes the first round

• Oklahoma State OL Teven Jenkins and RB Chuba Hubbard are two others who’ve slid. There are concerns over Jenkins’s injury history (back) and makeup, and Hubbard’s a back whose calling card, lacking elusiveness, was speed, and he only ran in the 4.5s.

I haven't seen video of Hubbard being caught from behind... I call it the Jerry Rice syndrome... How many times did you see Jerry Rice caught from behind... Jerry Rice ran a 4.58 40.  I think Hubbard would be Great in this type of offense... I cut & run... he would lights out. 

10 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

If we go oline at 23, ive come around to taking Ettienne at 34.  I was thinking Terrace Marshal there but with us having a solid top 3 receiver set for this year, im in on Ettienne.  We can addres reciever next year when they dump crowder.

There is no one at 34 that would have a bigger impact on our offense then Ettienne.

This is the dream scenario for me.   Add a starter to the OL and a true weapon at RB.  I don’t see Etienne making it to 34 though.  

Would be a fun Thursday night around here if he or Harris is on the board after round one.  

19 hours ago, Shockwave said:

1- Trade up for a Stud WR? You don't interview Waddle or Smith unless you're considering moving up for a WR. Notice we didn't interview every other top 10 player. If you see Waddle drop to 8-12 its absolutely a range the Jets could afford with all of our extra picks. Playmakers. 

2- AVT and Jenkins - If the Jets stay at 23 or move up slightly these are certainly the guys we are staring at. I think its interesting the Jets didn't interview Darrishaw to our knowledge which means to me the focus is on IOL. Extremely high chance one of these guys is our pick at 23. Protection. 

3 - Najee Harris and Travis Etienne - Everyone says the Jets are not focusing on a RB. This would say otherwise. I would think these two need to be watched if they slip. Perhaps it's if we move back at 34. Perhaps it's a move up from our 3. But they are on the board. Playmakers. 

You make some very good points in this post. #1 & #2 here, I can thoroughly get onboard. Where I disagree is that both AVT and Jenkins have legitimate OT potential/ability in the NFL, and I think that's why you see those guys targeted high. They wouldn't go pure guard there, but a potential tackle at #23 or a small move up is a solid play. 

I cannot express how disappointed I will be if the Jets draft a RB on the first two days of the draft. I can only hope that those interviews are either contingency cases or attempts to throw other teams off their scent. 

20 hours ago, Shockwave said:

4- Creed Humphrey - Its not like we spent alot of time with other centers. Creed would be a big consideration if he's there at 34. IOL Protection. 

5-Batemen, Toney and Rondale Moore - These guys are all targets at 34. Batemen should go earlier but whats really interesting here is we interviewed 3 WR's that should be around that pick. The Jets are extremely serious at bringing in another weapon at WR very early in this draft. When you look at what SF did the last two years with Deebo and Aiyuk this makes alot of sense. This also might lead to trading Crowder during the draft as you don't have this high of a pick sit on the bench. Playmakers. 

Creed Humphrey seems to get a lot more love here than he gets around the rest of the internet. My guess is that he might become a day 2 target if they failed to hit the OL in round one. Otherwise, I think the WRs are more likely. Like you say, emulating the 49ers. I think receiving targets, and depth at the position (frighteningly exposed last year) are gonna be priorities. 

9- Notice a whole lot of guys that will be there 34-40? Notice a bunch of guys that may not make it to 23? To me this screams moving up at 23 and moving down at 34. This is my prediction and makes a ton of sense for two reasons:

A- It is likely we have first round grades on 20 players or less. You would want to get up for that tier.

B- At 34 we are in a great position to trade down unless someone dropped as the value there looks to be the same for 10-15 picks. This is a prime trade down spot EVERY year in every draft at the top of round 2. This is a easy prediction. 

This does make sense, and I think it's probably the way a lot of people are thinking. If they have a short list of players with first round grades, it could make sense for them to move up from this pick. It will all depend on how the board breaks in front of them. If their first rounders fly off too early, they might instead decide to try to move down. Obviously the high second is a prime trading spot. Teams will have all night to re-adjust their boards, with many teams eyeing a player or two that they're a little surprised is still available. 

10- You guys over there worrying about the Jets drafting edge at 23 - Spoiler Alert - were not doing that. We didn't interview one edge guy that would go around there. The Two edges we are likely looking at are Ronnie Perkins or Elerson Smith which both look like late 2's or more likely our early 3rd rounder. In Fact outside of Newsome the chances of us going defense with either of our first two picks are small. 

This makes me sad. A draft where Joe Douglas landed a stud QB and a stud pass rusher would be one immortalized for the ages. 

Two Possible Trades:

Douglas calls his friends in Philly and trade 1.23 and both of our 3rd round picks for Jaylen Waddle and Philly's 5th Rounder. 

Douglas calls Arizona who has no picks and trades 1.23 and our 3rd for AVT. 

I'll be a little surprised if JD trades three picks for one. He's a collector of picks, and I don't think he'll be looking to trade them away like that. I could see more trading #23 & #86 to WFT for #19 & #124, where slides up a few slots and still has the same number of picks. 

Conversely, #34 will be offered to the team willing to give up the most picks. 

8. - Guys the Jets could trade on Draft Day - Crowder and Mosley. Mosley 100% if we get a decent offer. Crowder if we draft a WR high. 

I expect both of these guys to be on the team. Mosley, because there won't really be any worthwhile offers, and Crowder because he's a good, reliable receiver. Even if they draft his replacement high, I'd wait a year.

The other reason is comp picks. Can't get them when you're signing more players than you lose, but next year that could start to change. Crowder is in the last year of his contract, and is a player who will probably land a decent contract in free agency. He's not gonna net you a third, but probably a fifth. Depending on how JD's last draft class develops, and this one goes, next year could be the year he just targets one or two guys in FA, lets a number of his one-year deals walk, and adds some supplemental picks in 2022. 

Overall, you make a really good case. Good work.