Jets Draft Board: Protection and Playmakers

JD will have the opportunity to trade back from either 23 or 34 depending on how the draft unfolds.  Given the holes on this team and the positional value, moving back and picking up a late 2nd or another 3rd is really smart.

Yea, we could have Wilson, Teven Jenkins and Caleb Farley as a bunch of mock drafts project, but Id much rather JD move back from 34 and pick up another 3rd round pick as I personally view Kendrick Green as good of a player as someone like Creed Humphrey and someone who will likely go 20 picks later.  JD could wind up with Jenkins in the first round, Jabril Cox to fill the cover LB spot on defense in the second, and then use his other picks to move up and fill G/C with Green and take someone like Hunter Long at TE.  After that, you can use 4th round and later to take developmental RB, CB and edge.

A scenario that may be worth keeping an eye on. Carolina has made it known that they would move down from#8. According to the Rich Hill chart, which many teams have been using, Pick # 8 is worth 406 pts. Picks #23 (245) and #34(175) are worth 420 pts. Depending on how the board falls, if Waddle, or say Slater, was there at #8, that may work. Don't forget, we could also offer them back next years #2, and keep #34. We actually have the ammo to got to #7 as well, which is worth 426 pts.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, TheClashFan said:

My dream: Jenkins at 23 (RT or start at RG for a year) and Creed (C) at 34. Two new starters on the line and McGovern slides to G.

Then BPA the rest of the way, focusing on CB, offense, and maybe another edge guy. Maybe a third OL to develop from the 5th round on.

You don’t only have good taste in music, I like the way you think.

If you have above average sized boobs (man boobs doesn’t count) I will be slightly aroused. 

9 hours ago, slats said:

You make some very good points in this post. #1 & #2 here, I can thoroughly get onboard. Where I disagree is that both AVT and Jenkins have legitimate OT potential/ability in the NFL, and I think that's why you see those guys targeted high. They wouldn't go pure guard there, but a potential tackle at #23 or a small move up is a solid play. 

Really Fair Point. To take it another step AVT has short arms and his upside is likely at Guard. Jenkins arms are borderline. I think he could pull of RT but if your the FO do we really need to draft guards on day 1?

9 hours ago, slats said:

I cannot express how disappointed I will be if the Jets draft a RB on the first two days of the draft. I can only hope that those interviews are either contingency cases or attempts to throw other teams off their scent. 

I am anti RB high as well. But what would you think about RB if it becomes a value? If your landing Etienne as a mid second rounder similar to Dobbins last year? 

I would much prefer a high upside RB if he falls in your lap in 2 then the Perine's of the world in round 3 or 4. From our visits we went hard on RB's. We are definitely drafting one. So you really have to ask yourself would you rather have Etienne around 40 after we trade down or like Michael Carter 2 rounder later. Full list below of our visits. 

RBs: Memphis Kenneth Gainwell, Clemson Travis Etienne, Alabama Najee Harris, UNC Michael Carter, Buffalo Jaret Patterson, Iowa State Kene Nwangwu, Louisville RB Javian Hawkins, Oregon State RB Jermar Jefferson, UCLA Demetric Felton, Virginia Tech Khalil Herbert

9 hours ago, slats said:

Creed Humphrey seems to get a lot more love here than he gets around the rest of the internet. My guess is that he might become a day 2 target if they failed to hit the OL in round one. Otherwise, I think the WRs are more likely. Like you say, emulating the 49ers. I think receiving targets, and depth at the position (frighteningly exposed last year) are gonna be priorities. 

This does make sense, and I think it's probably the way a lot of people are thinking. If they have a short list of players with first round grades, it could make sense for them to move up from this pick. It will all depend on how the board breaks in front of them. If their first rounders fly off too early, they might instead decide to try to move down. Obviously the high second is a prime trading spot. Teams will have all night to re-adjust their boards, with many teams eyeing a player or two that they're a little surprised is still available. 

I think these two thoughts hit on the same point. I think theres a big grouping here of players the Jets have in the 35-40 range and will highly be considered when we trade down depending what happens at 23. 

I would certainly think if we did something like trade for a WR like Waddle our second pick we would target Humphrey. Theres also not too many Centers in this draft. 

Keep in mind Mccovern is expensive and we save a ton of money if we cut him this offseason. 

9 hours ago, slats said:

This makes me sad. A draft where Joe Douglas landed a stud QB and a stud pass rusher would be one immortalized for the ages. 

Joe just spent a ton of money in FA on the line so I think he would agree its a priority. The thing is what stud pass rusher is there at 23? It's a very poor draft at edge IMO with most of them having question marks. Many of them really fit 3-4 way better then 4-3 and Paye is not falling to us. 

In fairness Elerson Smith who I mention as being my favorite pick of our draft if we take him in round 3 has as much upside as any 4-3 end in this draft. If you want to get excited go watch his clips, numbers and what he did at the senior bowl. We interviewed him and would be a homerun if we drafted him. 

9 hours ago, slats said:

I'll be a little surprised if JD trades three picks for one. He's a collector of picks, and I don't think he'll be looking to trade them away like that. I could see more trading #23 & #86 to WFT for #19 & #124, where slides up a few slots and still has the same number of picks. 

I would be surprised as well. But keep in mind Joe comes from Baltmore where Ozzie moved up all the time and down as well and he was in Philly when they moved up for Dillard. Joe will be aggressive if he needs to be. 

9 hours ago, slats said:

Conversely, #34 will be offered to the team willing to give up the most picks. 

Especially if we move up at 23. 

9 hours ago, slats said:

I expect both of these guys to be on the team. Mosley, because there won't really be any worthwhile offers, and Crowder because he's a good, reliable receiver. Even if they draft his replacement high, I'd wait a year.

With Mosely we already tried to trade him. I think its a very high chance we continue to try to move him before he shows up. His contract is horrible next year and we have this small window where we may be able to move him this year bc of the way his contract hit was split for this year and last year. At his age moving him would be amazing for our team IMO rather then pay him 15m per in his 30's in a 4-3. 

Regarding Crowder the writing is on the wall with all of these interviews for his replacement. If we were to trade for Waddle or take even Rondale Moore at 34 do you sit these guys on the bench all year for Crowder? The Move also saves us like 10m. Sure we have the money but it could roll over and be spent on Pass rush or CB next year. 

9 hours ago, slats said:

The other reason is comp picks. Can't get them when you're signing more players than you lose, but next year that could start to change. Crowder is in the last year of his contract, and is a player who will probably land a decent contract in free agency. He's not gonna net you a third, but probably a fifth. Depending on how JD's last draft class develops, and this one goes, next year could be the year he just targets one or two guys in FA, lets a number of his one-year deals walk, and adds some supplemental picks in 2022. 

Overall, you make a really good case. Good work. 

Great Feedback and Thoughts all around. 

On 4/24/2021 at 11:58 AM, Shockwave said:

A- It is likely we have first round grades on 20 players or less. You would want to get up for that tier.

B- At 34 we are in a great position to trade down unless someone dropped as the value there looks to be the same for 10-15 picks. This is a prime trade down spot EVERY year in every draft at the top of round 2. This is a easy prediction. 

10- You guys over there worrying about the Jets drafting edge at 23 - Spoiler Alert - were not doing that. We didn't interview one edge guy that would go around there. The Two edges we are likely looking at are Ronnie Perkins or Elerson Smith which both look like late 2's or more likely our early 3rd rounder. In Fact outside of Newsome the chances of us going defense with either of our first two picks are small. 

Bonus 

Two Possible Trades:

Douglas calls his friends in Philly and trade 1.23 and both of our 3rd round picks for Jaylen Waddle and Philly's 5th Rounder. 

Douglas calls Arizona who has no picks and trades 1.23 and our 3rd for AVT. 

Regardless of what we do the major theme here from the visits is the Jets are focusing on some combination of linemen and Playmaker with our first two picks. 

Perhaps the Jets go Jenkins, Moore and Smith with our First 3 picks. 

Perhaps the Jets go AVT, Moore and move up for Etienne in the mid second. 

Maybe we move up for Waddle and grab Humphrey with our first 2 picks. 

Whatever the case it is extremely clear the Jets are going after Protection and Playmakers on offense this draft with their high picks. Absolutely should be exciting for Jet fans that have not had a good offense since I could remember. 

This draft was all about Protection and Playmakers. Some of the calls I made above are pretty close - Except Douglas and Saleh went even further to protect Wilson and give him weapons. 

The Jets killed this draft. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

This draft was all about Protection and Playmakers. Some of the calls I made above are pretty close - Except Douglas and Saleh went even further to protect Wilson and give him weapons. 

The Jets killed this draft. 

Sticking at #34 to take Elijah Moore and just be done on day two at pick #2 was one of the most interesting moves of the draft. The pick collector had given up two thirds to move up for AVT, you'd pretty much expect that he would look to trade back from #34 - and he reportedly had offers to do exactly that. I have to wonder if in self-evaluating his first draft if he decided that he maybe got too cute in the second round and missed the WR(s) he was looking to take and wound up settling for Mims. He clearly didn't settle for Moore. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

Sticking at #34 to take Elijah Moore and just be done on day two at pick #2 was one of the most interesting moves of the draft. The pick collector had given up two thirds to move up for AVT, you'd pretty much expect that he would look to trade back from #34 - and he reportedly had offers to do exactly that. I have to wonder if in self-evaluating his first draft if he decided that he maybe got too cute in the second round and missed the WR(s) he was looking to take and wound up settling for Mims. He clearly didn't settle for Moore. 

Really interesting. 

I think when you saw Rappaport reporting we had "Major trade interest" in trading back that was Joe telling him that to get more offers. In the end we didn't get the offer we wanted but we definitely tried. 

We did very well in the Mims trade downs last year but just didn't get that offer this year. With Mim's injuries last year the Jets had to value Moore being such a safe prospect. 

We took such safe prospects this year up top. Theres a premium to be paid for that wether it was not trading down in Wilson, Carter and Moore's case or trading up for AVT. This clearly was the design as opposed to the trade downs for lottery tickets approach from the 5th and on. 

1 hour ago, slats said:

Agree completely. Thing is as far as I can tell people are only saying he had offers but not what they were. Was he offered a third and how far back to get that third. 

Well I think he had big offers but I also think the Jets looked at the player and said we are not getting a guy close to what we want like that if we trade down.  It was not a matter of not a good enough price being paid, it was a matter of the jets loving the player.

You could look at it this way, jets pretend they have the picks that have been offered and say 'Would we pay that to trade up to 34 to get Moore?  And the answer was probably, hell yes!'