FINAL MOCK DRAFT W/TRADES- 4/24

PepPep

39 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Moving back to 55 made me throw up in my mouth. I’d rather move back twice and still remain in striking distance if need be. Move back to 40 then evaluate. If a group we like is there still move back again to 45.

I don’t think I can handle the wait of the Mims trade back again!

Fair enough. But remember, you don't get the same value back if you only move back a few spots. So no 3rd and 4th. Those picks were used to address the RB and CB position in my mock. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Rd. 3 (Stelers pick) Trill Williams- CB: Nothing to see here. Jets take a long, athletic versatile CB who excels in zone. They have had their eye on him and it would make perfect sense to snag him in the 3rd.       

I really like Williams. I selected him for the Saints at #198 (6th rd). Third round seems early but I love his speed and length

4 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I really love the fact that we traded up in the 1st and then down in the 2nd to even out the cost.

I like the mock, dylan moses is a nice steal, but I’d like us to go edge somewhere for depth or a starter on the other side of Lawson.

I agree. I'm just looking at the prospects the Jets met with and the current roster with guys like JFM, Zuniga, Huff, Curry, Phillips and I could see the Jets simply not taking an edge prospect, maybe as an UDFA or late (instead of Darius Stills). Maybe Charles Snowden out of Virginia if he is there in the 5th?  

9 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

Dylan moses is trash

LOL

I have the Jets taking him in the 3rd. Despite your in depth analysis, I believe he's borderline a 1st round prospect if not for his knee injury. I think fully healthy he is a steal in Rd. 3. The Jets would draft him as a future replacement for Mosley so he can take his time and heal up his knee. Now, would I take Jabril Cox instead. Yeah, but I don't think he will be there. Chaz Surratt would also be in consideration but he's pretty raw and a bigger gamble. Jamin Davis would be a great pick. But he won't be there. Bolton is not the best fit for a 4-3 zone heavy scheme. Do I take Pete Werner here? Thats a reach. I think he has limited upside. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Moving back to 55 made me throw up in my mouth. I’d rather move back twice and still remain in striking distance if need be. Move back to 40 then evaluate. If a group we like is there still move back again to 45.

That's why I'm gonna be swilling down bourbon shots with my beer this time around...

The Knock-Down, No-Holds-Barred Fight Between Rye and ...

image.thumb.png.fcc0bdbe43392fba3a8ec745fba2c446.png

• Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, PepPep said:

LOL

I have the Jets taking him in the 3rd. Despite your in depth analysis, I believe he's borderline a 1st round prospect if not for his knee injury. I think fully healthy he is a steal in Rd. 3. The Jets would draft him as a future replacement for Mosley so he can take his time and heal up his knee. Now, would I take Jabril Cox instead. Yeah, but I don't think he will be there. Chaz Surratt would also be in consideration but he's pretty raw and a bigger gamble. Jamin Davis would be a great pick. But he won't be there. Bolton is not the best fit for a 4-3 zone heavy scheme. Do I take Pete Werner here? Thats a reach. I think he has limited upside. 

But I am not sure he is fully healthy.  I read a report that he played through so much pain in 2020 (after the ACL surgery) that he thought about giving up the game.  He had another procedure on the knee after the season.  If he fell to day 3 and we rolled the dice on him, I would be fine with that, because the upside is there.  But I think 66 is too early for a lottery ticket type pick.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Lith said:

But I am not sure he is fully healthy.  I read a report that he played through so much pain in 2020 (after the ACL surgery) that he thought about giving up the game.  He had another procedure on the knee after the season.  If he fell to day 3 and we rolled the dice on him, I would be fine with that, because the upside is there.  But I think 66 is too early for a lottery ticket type pick.

Its understandable. I dont really know where he will go. I'm fine taking him later. The injury is a huge red flag. But just saying he's trash isn't really accurate. He's actually a really good player and fit. lol

• Upvote 2

Zach Wilson, Teven Jenkins, Rondale Moore and Tommy Tremble are all solid additions to the offense. We’d actually have an offense. Herbert adds the committee of backs we have. Hopefully one steps up.

I won’t pretend I know any defensive players in this draft. I only really know a few edge rushers and 1 or 2 CBs and LBs. But I’d be happy with this draft giving what you did on offense. 

20 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Its understandable. I dont really know where he will go. I'm fine taking him later. The injury is a huge red flag. But just saying he's trash isn't really accurate. He's actually a really good player and fit. lol

I agree.  100%.  He is a really good player and if he is healthy he would be a steal in R3, but he also has a really significant injury red flag.

• Upvote 1

I always applaud anyone who puts this much research and thought into mocks with trades etc.  And really any discussion about such attempts are personal "taste".

That said, here's what I like and don't like.

Like the picks of Trimble and Herbert.  Indifferent on some of the other picks because I simply don't know enough about the players.

I like Jenkins the player, I don't like the idea of trading up for him and I don't think Douglas would do so.  Even though it's a minimal jump, I just don't see it.  Even if Jenkins is there at 23, I'm not sure the Jets stay and take him.  If you are targeting IOL, I just think trading down is more likely than trading up.  But who knows.  

I Love Moore the player, and I think he's a fit here, but I just find it hard for me to personally part with a top 2 round pick for one when we have such greater needs on the roster.  I suppose if this happened, I'd prefer to just keep pumping the offense in the top 4 rounds and get as many holes filled on offense immediately.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, PepPep said:

LET'S SEE IF I HIT ON MORE THAN ONE.

I've stayed away from trades so far in all my mocks because they are simply too unpredictable and would skew the draft but apparently the Jets are willing to move up? So lets have some fun. Here is my MOST REALISTIC final mock draft with trades.

Thanks for the post

Rd. 1: Wilson- QB

Apparently so.

Rd. 1: TRADE: Washington: Pick 19: NY Jets give Seattles 3rd and next years 5th to hop over Chicago and Indy and take Teven Jenkins- OT. This is cheapest way JD can get his guy. Not sure if Washington will be interested but they need all the help they can get and it would make a ton of sense for them to move down and add draft picks. 

Not what I would do.  I do not care for Jenkins and see him as a better fit for a man scheme.  Our lads thinks his technique needs a lot of work and that "he spends too much time on the ground.  They like him as a dominant one on one blocker.  But zone tackles need to me able to move laterally.  That is not his forte.  I prefer the zone scheme tackles Radunz and Brown.  Radunz needs to get stronger and Brown needs to refine his technique.  Eichenberg would start at guard on day one and would be able to move to right tackle next season.   He does not have the upside of the others but is ready now.  I understand what you are trying to do but think will not work out.  

The more I look at the draft the more I am convinced the best move for the Jets is to trade down from 23.  Too many players who do not fit or belong on win now teams like Harris or Etienne.  I had been impressed the the defensive ends but have reconsidered.  Too many good fits in the second and third rounds, so I would move back.

Rd. 2: TRADE: In classic JD fashion he moves down from his very high 2nd round pick (34) all the way to 55 with the Steelers. Jets fans will cringe when they realize that the Steelers are moving up for Najee Harris, a guy most fans would love to see in a Jet uniform. However, a RB this early for this offensive system was never in the cards and instead the Jets get the Steelers 3rd (87) and 4th (128) rounders for moving down. At 55 they select: Rondale Moore- WR. I know this trade isn't the most realistic. But it makes sense. The Steelers are still in the last gasp of win now mode with Big Ben. They brought back one of his main WR targets, the O-line is solid but they just lost their Pro Bowl RB. Moving up for a Franchise RB like Harris is a great move. He pairs well with the speedy backs they currently have and can start right away. The he will still be there as the main back when a young new QB takes over. And the Steelers also have two 4th rounders, so for them its lessens the blow a bit. For the Jets you re-coop the pick you lost by moving up for Jenkins and you know you are not targeting a RB early for this offensive scheme anyway. At 55 Moore is a great value pick. He has elite WR traits but his size and injury history will almost certainly drop him out of the first round and most likely to the middle of Rd. 2. However, I could see him being used in a variety of ways in this offense BEFORE fully taking over Crowders slot role. This is the perfect offense for his unique traits. 

Nice trade.  I too think that one of the seven second banana receivers (Moore, Moore, Bateman, Marshall, Toney, Collins and Brown) will be available later in the second, so a trade down makes sense. I also believe that they will ALL be gone by the top of the third.  So this is a good trade.  As for the player, I prefer Bateman or Marshall, but think that they are all attractive and all are bona fide second round picks. 

Rd. 3 (Jets pick)  Dylan Moses- LB: I don't know how closely linked the Jets are to Moses but if he is such a great fit and represents such good value at a position of need that if he is here early in the 3rd (and I think he just may bee here) I think they have to take him. He's versatile and can probably play any spot in a 4-3. He's really smart and athletic. A really good tackler who takes great angles. He would honest be a steal. This would be a very forward thinking pick as Moses would def. take over for Mosley next year.  

I too like Moses.  However - since this is pick 66 at the top of the third - I believe that we will have our choice of Warner, Surratt, Jamin Davis and Moses.  I prefer Warner, Surratt and Davis.  But this is a quibble.  All are bona fide 3d round picks.

Rd. 3 (Stelers pick) Trill Williams- CB: Nothing to see here. Jets take a long, athletic versatile CB who excels in zone. They have had their eye on him and it would make perfect sense to snag him in the 3rd.       

Ourlads lists him as a free safety and gives him a 4th round grade.  I like his versatility but this this is too early.  If we are going to go Safety, I prefer strong safety Hamsah Nasirildeen.  He is a perfect fit for zone and has a 3d round grade.  If we are going corner, I prefer Kelvin Joseph who is a good fit and has a 3d round grade.   Given what you have taken so far, i would grab one of the guards - Meinerz, Green or Leatherwood all of whom have 3d round grades.

Rd. 4 (Jets pick) : Tommy Tremble-TE: I know the Jets signed Kroft and resigned Brown. But that just tells me they aren't confident in the TE group they have. Brown, Davis, Griffin, Kroft and Wesco are all going to be on the chopping block if they don't play well in camp, I have no doubt about it. Tremble is a fantastic blocker with some upside as receiver. The Jets have met with him and he may very well be a surprise pick early in Rd. 4. Again, he's a blocking TE so I would not be surprised to see him slip to Rd. 4.

I would wait a year to draft another tight end.  We have five of them (Herndon, Griffen, Wesco, Brown and Kroft).  I think Griffen or Wesco will get cut as is stands anyway.  I would take the center Drew Dalman if he is here.  If not then another guard or linebacker if any of those above are still here at the top of the 4th.  If not, then I am thinking running back. 

Rd. 4 (Steelers pick): Khalil Herbert-RB: Another guys who is an absolute perfect system fit. Speedy one cut back who plays with fantastic balance and vision. I really like Herbert and I believe the Jets do too. In a committee style outside zone blocking offensive scheme he would really shine. Projected to go in Rd. 4 as he is not the type of bell cow back you can rely on as your #1. However, makes a lot of sense for LaFleurs, Shanahan influenced 49ers running game.  

As good a choice as any.  I also like the running backs Chuba Hubbard and Elijah Mitchell in the fourth.

Rd. 5: Jacoby Stevens- S/LB: The Jets met with Stevens and I think they it represents serious interest. He is a speedy safety/LB hybrid with great coverage skills. I think this is exactly the type of plyer Saleh is looking for in a lot of his formations. You can sent him after the QB, he has good instincts against the run and he is very good in coverage against TEs and RB. Looks like he played some FS at LSU as well and showed solid ball skills. Kind of a player without a true position and would be more of a situational/special teams contributor early on in his career- which is why he should be here in Rd. 5. 

Another good choice.  I am still thinking guard.  I past drafts, guard only players with 3d round grades like Meinerz and Green frequently fall past their draft grade.  If so, I pounce. 

Rd. 5 (Giants pick):  Darius Stills-DT: I know Jet fans may hate the idea of drafting a D-lineman but this is the 5th round and Stills is a 4-3 scheme specific pass rushing 3 tech. The Jets met with him so you know theres some interest and this move makes sense if they plan to part ways with Fat or Shepherd via trade.

Nice player but Ourlads sees him as a 7th round pick.  I am thinking linebacker if I have only taken one.  I am thinking running back, if I have not taken one.

Rd. 6- Larnel Coleman- OT Long, lean, athletic, developmental OT. The Jets have met virtually with him. JD continues to build a pipeline of O-linemen.  

At tackle here, I prefer D'Ante Smith.  If I have not taken Drew Dalman, then I take my center here.  I would grab Menet, Hill or Morressey.

Rd. 6- Tory Carter- FB: I have no idea where he is expected to be drafted, maybe not at all. But I know the Jets need a FB and I know he is ranked as one of the top ones out there. And boy is he the perfect guy for this offense. Very solid blocker, can catch and plays like his hair is on fire. Relishes the position- his father was a FB and he played FB his whole career. Makes a ton of sense with so little to lose in the 6th round. 

I am thinking Will or safety if I have not taken one.  I am still thinking Will even if I already have one. 

Let me know what you think. This might not be exactly what I would do but this draft makes a TON of sense to me and all of these selections are pretty realistic, IMO. 

I agree that your selections are realistic.  Much more so than many mock drafts. 

45 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

I'm cool trading up to get Jenkins if he is JD's guy.

That said, I just got the attached on pff and world be delighted if it fell this way!

pff_mock_results.png

I do not like Jenkins.  But if we got that with our first five picks I would boogie all night.  Really. 

LET'S SEE IF I HIT ON MORE THAN ONE.

I've stayed away from trades so far in all my mocks because they are simply too unpredictable and would skew the draft but apparently the Jets are willing to move up? So lets have some fun. Here is my MOST REALISTIC final mock draft with trades.

Thanks for the post

Rd. 1: Wilson- QB

Apparently so.

Rd. 1: TRADE: Washington: Pick 19: NY Jets give Seattles 3rd and next years 5th to hop over Chicago and Indy and take Teven Jenkins- OT. This is cheapest way JD can get his guy. Not sure if Washington will be interested but they need all the help they can get and it would make a ton of sense for them to move down and add draft picks. 

Not what I would do.  I do not care for Jenkins and see him as a better fit for a man scheme.  Ourlads thinks his technique needs a lot of work and that "he spends too much time on the ground".  They like him as a dominant one on one blocker.  But zone tackles need to be able to move laterally.  That is not his forte.  I prefer the zone scheme tackles Radunz and Brown.  Radunz needs to get stronger and Brown needs to refine his technique.  Eichenberg would start at guard on day one and would be able to move to right tackle next season.   He does not have the upside of the others but is ready now.  I understand what you are trying to do but think this will not work out.  

The more I look at the draft, the more I am convinced that the best move for the Jets is to trade down from 23.  Too many players who do not fit or belong on win now teams like Harris or Etienne.  I had been impressed with the defensive ends but have reconsidered.  Too many good fits in the second and third rounds, so I would move back.

Rd. 2: TRADE: In classic JD fashion he moves down from his very high 2nd round pick (34) all the way to 55 with the Steelers. Jets fans will cringe when they realize that the Steelers are moving up for Najee Harris, a guy most fans would love to see in a Jet uniform. However, a RB this early for this offensive system was never in the cards and instead the Jets get the Steelers 3rd (87) and 4th (128) rounders for moving down. At 55 they select: Rondale Moore- WR. I know this trade isn't the most realistic. But it makes sense. The Steelers are still in the last gasp of win now mode with Big Ben. They brought back one of his main WR targets, the O-line is solid but they just lost their Pro Bowl RB. Moving up for a Franchise RB like Harris is a great move. He pairs well with the speedy backs they currently have and can start right away. The he will still be there as the main back when a young new QB takes over. And the Steelers also have two 4th rounders, so for them its lessens the blow a bit. For the Jets you re-coop the pick you lost by moving up for Jenkins and you know you are not targeting a RB early for this offensive scheme anyway. At 55 Moore is a great value pick. He has elite WR traits but his size and injury history will almost certainly drop him out of the first round and most likely to the middle of Rd. 2. However, I could see him being used in a variety of ways in this offense BEFORE fully taking over Crowders slot role. This is the perfect offense for his unique traits. 

Nice trade.  I too think that one of the seven second banana receivers (Moore, Moore, Bateman, Marshall, Toney, Collins and Brown) will be available later in the second, so a trade down makes sense. I also believe that they will ALL be gone by the top of the third.  So this is a good trade.  As for the player, I prefer Bateman or Marshall, but think that they are all attractive and all are bona fide second round picks. 

Rd. 3 (Jets pick)  Dylan Moses- LB: I don't know how closely linked the Jets are to Moses but if he is such a great fit and represents such good value at a position of need that if he is here early in the 3rd (and I think he just may bee here) I think they have to take him. He's versatile and can probably play any spot in a 4-3. He's really smart and athletic. A really good tackler who takes great angles. He would honest be a steal. This would be a very forward thinking pick as Moses would def. take over for Mosley next year.  

I too like Moses.  However - since this is pick 66 at the top of the third - I believe that we will have our choice of Warner, Surratt, Jamin Davis and Moses.  I prefer Warner, Surratt and Davis.  But this is a quibble.  All are bona fide 3d round picks.

Ourlads lists him as a free safety and gives him a 4th round grade.  I like his versatility but this this is too early.  If we are going to go Safety, I prefer strong safety Hamsah Nasirildeen.  He is a perfect fit for zone and has a 3d round grade.  If we are going corner, I prefer Kelvin Joseph who is a good fit and has a 3d round grade.   Given what you have taken so far, i would grab one of the guards - Meinerz, Green or Leatherwood all of whom have 3d round grades.

Rd. 4 (Jets pick) : Tommy Tremble-TE: I know the Jets signed Kroft and resigned Brown. But that just tells me they aren't confident in the TE group they have. Brown, Davis, Griffin, Kroft and Wesco are all going to be on the chopping block if they don't play well in camp, I have no doubt about it. Tremble is a fantastic blocker with some upside as receiver. The Jets have met with him and he may very well be a surprise pick early in Rd. 4. Again, he's a blocking TE so I would not be surprised to see him slip to Rd. 4.

I would wait a year to draft another tight end.  We have five of them (Herndon, Griffen, Wesco, Brown and Kroft).  I think Griffen or Wesco will get cut as is stands anyway.  I would take the center Drew Dalman if he is here.  If not then another guard or linebacker if any of those above are still here at the top of the 4th.  If not, then I am thinking running back. 

Rd. 4 (Steelers pick): Khalil Herbert-RB: Another guys who is an absolute perfect system fit. Speedy one cut back who plays with fantastic balance and vision. I really like Herbert and I believe the Jets do too. In a committee style outside zone blocking offensive scheme he would really shine. Projected to go in Rd. 4 as he is not the type of bell cow back you can rely on as your #1. However, makes a lot of sense for LaFleurs, Shanahan influenced 49ers running game.  

As good a choice as any.  I also like the running backs Chuba Hubbard and Elijah Mitchell in the fourth.

Rd. 5: Jacoby Stevens- S/LB: The Jets met with Stevens and I think they it represents serious interest. He is a speedy safety/LB hybrid with great coverage skills. I think this is exactly the type of plyer Saleh is looking for in a lot of his formations. You can sent him after the QB, he has good instincts against the run and he is very good in coverage against TEs and RB. Looks like he played some FS at LSU as well and showed solid ball skills. Kind of a player without a true position and would be more of a situational/special teams contributor early on in his career- which is why he should be here in Rd. 5. 

Another good choice.  I am still thinking guard.  In past drafts, guard only players with 3d round grades like Meinerz and Green frequently fall past their draft grade.  If so, I pounce. 

Rd. 5 (Giants pick):  Darius Stills-DT: I know Jet fans may hate the idea of drafting a D-lineman but this is the 5th round and Stills is a 4-3 scheme specific pass rushing 3 tech. The Jets met with him so you know theres some interest and this move makes sense if they plan to part ways with Fat or Shepherd via trade.

Nice player but Ourlads sees him as a 7th round pick.  I am thinking linebacker if I have only taken one.  I am thinking running back, if I have not taken one.

Rd. 6- Larnel Coleman- OT Long, lean, athletic, developmental OT. The Jets have met virtually with him. JD continues to build a pipeline of O-linemen.  

At tackle here, I prefer D'Ante Smith.  If I have not taken Drew Dalman, then I take my center here.  I would grab Menet, Hill or Morressey.

Rd. 6- Tory Carter- FB: I have no idea where he is expected to be drafted, maybe not at all. But I know the Jets need a FB and I know he is ranked as one of the top ones out there. And boy is he the perfect guy for this offense. Very solid blocker, can catch and plays like his hair is on fire. Relishes the position- his father was a FB and he played FB his whole career. Makes a ton of sense with so little to lose in the 6th round. 

I am thinking Will or safety if I have not taken one.  I am still thinking Will even if I already have one. 

Let me know what you think. This might not be exactly what I would do but this draft makes a TON of sense to me and all of these selections are pretty realistic, IMO. 

I agree that your selections are realistic.  Much more so than many mock drafts. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, PepPep said:

LOL

I mean i watched a lot of his games, he's lost on coverage probably worst than Darren Lee, doesn't have great instincts against the run. But yes, hes fast but how fast after another knee injury. On film he's Mack Wilson, the guy was taken on the 5th round, and thats the range I predict Moses is going. 

Just finished this one right now...

After ZW...I took Vera Tucker for OG then TE  Pat Freiermuth.  Jets need a playmaker TE for LaFleur's WCO.  There's very little chance that a Macc disappointment like Herndon gets another contract from JD.   Freiermuth is a solid blocker with good playmaking ability.   Here's the rest..

image.thumb.png.0708441a8c5e9df47e61992e8442ee35.png

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Not like we missed out on Claypool. 

1 hour ago, Jet2020 said:

We need to start Saturday with a brand new QB, an OT and a WR. And then go RB in round 3. Build this team the right way. Equip Wilson with everything he needs. Maybe even swing a trade to bring in some solid OL. 

This team has enough holes that if you change a position at one of these spots for another one I not gonna go crazy but yes, once we get Wilson we need at least one top tier O-lineman prospect, one WR prospect or 'weapon' and a RB early in the draft. The mantra will need to be offense early and often in the draft. 

*I happen to have them taking Herbert in rd. 4 b/c hes such a perfect scheme fit but yeah those positions will need to be addressed.